Finally Making Progress, But Breaking Some Rules

skittles

Hey there everyone.
A year ago, I was completely lost. I wasn't sure how much longer I could stand being alive. I spent so much time going down the Peat rabbit hole, trying to eat perfectly, supplementing experimentally, and getting nowhere.

I realize now that searching for an answer is useless. I needed to /understand/ and come up with my own answers.

And now I'm finally making some progress. I dunno if this will help anyone, or if I'll be called a heretic for all this, but I thought I would tell you guys what I'm doing lately. I haven't figured everything out completely, but I'm getting there by paying very close attention to what my body is telling me.

My biggest issue for the past 4 years or so was a strange hoarseness in my throat. I've been to ultrasounds, ENTs, a vocal instructor, gone for blood tests, etc, but nobody could give me any answer. I work at a cafe, and sometimes calling out drinks, my voice would just give out on me. Always hoarse, cracking, quiet. People wouldn't be able to hear me a few feet away. Even my coworkers, when the shop was quiet, were constantly asking 'what?' after every sentence.

It feels sort like an obstruction, preventing volume amplification without degrading my voice to the point where I couldn't be heard. I often thought 'if I ever had to yell out for help for any reason, I would be screwed'

The interesting thing is, this obstruction isn't actually a /thing/, because it sort of comes and goes, and it took me forever to start figuring it out. But I noticed certain things consistently fixing the issue now I can use it as a sort of diagnostics tool.

Not saying this is the same for everyone, but this is what's working for me:

1: Carbs are more important than /anything/.
I certainly try my hardest to avoid PUFA, but I'm finding that avoiding PUFA is second to getting enough carbs. In the short term anyway.
I had to let go of my fear of grains. I'm beginning to think gluten is hardly as much of an issue as the fortification of bread. I wasn't getting enough food/carbs with fruit/juice alone. Now I have croissants, cereal, pizza, sourdough bread, stuff like that pretty often (never whole grain anything - that stuff effs me up) . I know it's not ideal. But it's amazing how rapidly my voice strengthens when I eat simple starches. Not only that, my mood improves, and I feel much more alive.

2: There seems to be two categories - carbs and everything else.
Everything seems to cause a degradation in my voice, except carbs. Eggs/alcohol/cannabis are the biggest offenders for me. I need piles of carbs just to reach equilibrium from those things, so now I have them less often. Coffee, I realize, needs to be /really/ sweet for me. Meat, of any kind, is always accompanied now by starch and/or some sweet drink. Sometimes when my voice was really bad, people suggested drinking more water, drinking tea, but they even worsened my voice. Everyone thinks I'm nuts because sugar fixes my voice, but water can make it worse.

3: Let the body rest.
Lack of sleep impacts my voice. I've gotten into a habit of winding down at night. One light-source at a time until my phone is on silent, out of arm's reach, and I'm reading my Kobo by candlelight. Staying up late on the computer every night was causing problems.

I go to the gym once in a while, but I've adopted a new philosophy about it. I dunno if I'm even doing anything, but it feels good to workout within the capacity of energy my body will offer me on a given day. I no longer stick to a program. I go, lift whatever feels good, usually 3 sets of 8-12 always leaving one or two in the tank, and when I'm getting tired, I leave. Some days I only do bench and squats. Some days, I do like eight lifts and feel fine. I listen to my body.

4: Never go hungry.
If you're hungry, you're already too hungry. I think a lot of people don't realize that they're hungry if they don't feel their tummies grumbling. If you're low on energy, tired, or grumpy, eat some carbs. I struggled with this for so long, because I thought I had to have the perfect peaty food. But in my experience, a scone and a cup of sweet coffee will do in a pinch. I'm not too concerned with the PUFA, because the most important thing when you're hungry is eating carbs.

I know PUFA is not good. I do actively try to avoid it. I eat a lot of coconut oil to offset it. But your body craves things for a reason, and stressing about the decision and ultimately not eating what your body is craving, is probably detrimental. If you're really craving a burger, eat a burger and don't worry so much about the PUFA in the bun. Just order it without mayo. Good enough.

I believe that once you start switching over to carbohydrate metabolism and you're actively making efforts to avoid PUFA, your body can handle a bit of it. Your body can handle a bit of anything, so believe in your body and /just eat/.

Anywho. I'm no scientist. This is just my personal experience. I'm only in the middle of my journey, so I could be completely wrong, but this is what seems to be working.

InChristAlone

Great post! :clapping:

800mRepeats

You're not wrong, if it's working for you.
Continue to listen - you'll likely find your needs changing over time as you're a dynamic being living in a dynamic world.

marcar72

If you're really craving a burger, eat a burger and don't worry so much about the PUFA in the bun. Just order it without mayo...

I've found a couple bun brands that while they don't avoid the PUFA in the wheat itself, they avoid the "usual" PUFA oils that most processed foods use.

I get this brand at Whole Foods at a reasonable cost:

https://www.365bywholefoods.com/pro...ryday-value-whole-wheat-hamburger-buns-4c902b

... and I found this brand at Natural Grociers:

https://silverhillsbakery.ca/our-products/sprouted-ancient-grain-whole-grain-burger-buns/

I tend to agree in that I think it's the fortified flour products that can be problematic and not gluten in and of itself for me anyways. :2cents:

Last edited:

lampofred

I think PUFA cravings may be caused by over-hydration (aka excessive estrogen). Fried chicken/fries/pizza/etc. are the calorically densest and saltiest foods we have, and eating them would serve the purpose of getting the water out of your cells into your bloodstream and out your urine. I used to have intense PUFA cravings when I was waterlogged and estrogen-logged but after I stopped drinking water and replaced all drinks with soda/milk/OJ, my water retention along with PUFA cravings has gone away. Also, carbs increase sodium retention and as a result fight over-hydration. This may be why carbs work for you and water does not.

OP
skittles

skittles

I used to crave PUFA too, but now I'm very repulsed by it. The smell of it, the taste of it. I tend to go by taste.

I think that in general, people have really lowered the bar for what we find delicious. Living a more Peaty life has definitely heightened my sense of taste and smell. I love making caprese salad with organic, on-the-vine tomatoes. I typically don't top it with anything but a little olive oil and salt. But one time I used regular-**** tomatoes, and I was so disappointed by its tastelessness that even adding balsamic vinegar didn't help much, and I ended up eating the cheese and chucking the rest in the garbage.

There's been many foods I used to love just a few years ago that now activate my gag reflex. There have been a few times when I go to eat something carby, like a muffin, only to be overwhelmed by the disgusting taste of some oil and have to spit it out. And other people are like 'yeah I have no clue what you're talking about. It tastes fine to me'.

I don't get cravings for PUFA, but I do get cravings for carbs and protein. I'm just saying that sometimes, although there is certainly some PUFA in the bun at the local decent-quality burger chain, it might be better to eat what your body is telling you to eat rather than ignoring your hunger due to less-than-perfect ingredients. And not in a Matt-Stone, eat-all-the-deep-fried-garbage sorta way, but making an informed decision. Obviously the best choice is to slow-cook some oxtail with potatoes and mushrooms. But sometimes it's easier to just make a grilled cheese sandwich or something. Sometimes you go visit your mum and she makes lasagne. You can avoid starch like the plague, or you can go out with your buddies and have some shrimp or octopus sushi (with regular ol' soy sauce) or some pho or whatever.

I guess the point of my post was that being too obsessive about the minutiae was ultimately detrimental for me, and I finally started making progress once I stopped worrying so much and started eating.

I think there's a lot of people on here chugging OJ like it's their job, unnecessarily taking all kinds of crazy supplements, and wondering why their health is getting worse, when all they really needed to do was eat way more carbs and less PUFA.

theLaw

@Dizzordr

I think your post shows that everyone has to make their own path, but they all lead to the top of the mountain.

"If you're hungry, you're already too hungry." = Nailed it!!!

Great work!:D

TheDrumGuy

I have a similar hoarseness problem. I think it's stress hormone related. I also think that starches are better than anything for getting stress hormones down, at least for me, and I've seen an improvement in the hoarseness with frequent starchy meals.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals