Eating for metabolic rate rather than particular foods

leo

I know there is a Peat quote that says something to this effect.

The other night we went out with friends to a local restaurant. On the way there, I was trying to mentally pre-program in my mind what I would eat from the menu. Most places are easy here as there is always some tropical fruit drink I can order first instead of cocktails, then a seafood dish with maybe white rice, then a flan or coffee for afterwards.

When we got there everyone wanted to do "tapas" style...where you just order a bunch of appetizers for the table and share. I pretty much broke my resolved because a lot of the things were breaded. But the dish I ate the most was the clams...cooked with garlic wine and oil. I am pretty sure it was not even olive oil but argh vegetable oil! It wasn't nice, but I was trying to avoid the fried breaded things.

When I came home I took my temperature and it was 99.2. I did not have dessert coffee anything else. I did not eat that much.

Would this be that the clams were metabolically good despite the oil or would it be that all the vegetable oil (PUFA) caused a stress and my high temperature was a result of stress.

I would like to better understand this....we eat out a lot. I read a thread here where someone said restaurant food is absolutely the worst....here we don't go to chain restaurants....usually locally owned where we know the owners, but still, I know that profit is bottom line and not always do they use the best ingredients.

But until now, the only time I have seen a temperature like that is after the carrot salad.

jyb

You can't infer anything from just 1 temps measurement. You temp could have been high for any reason. Just walking can increase temps, or lower it.

As to eating out...I sometimes find myself in the same situation, where all options are bad (grains, vegetable oil...). In that case I usually try to chose the least bad (I'd rather eat some kind of grain than fried pufas) and the least possible, and try if I can to order something protective like milk/cheese. Note that if you ate a really nasty meal and you didn't have choice, maybe you could eat activated charcoal (binds toxins), carrot salad and a bit of cascara so to reduce absorption and flush the meal.

kiran

I've noticed something similar. If I eat out with friends, then I feel good afterwards even if the food wasn't that healthy. I'd be very sensitive to the very same foods if I got takeout though.

I think the company of friends is beneficial to the metabolic rate.

Just don't abuse it ...

jb4566

I agree with kiran,

"Everyday social experiences affect metabolism, stimulating and supporting some kinds of brain activity, suppressing and punishing others. All of the activities in the child's environment are educational, in one way or another." - RP

If you didn't measure your pulse and temps before the meal, I don't know if you can jump to the conclusion that your metabolic rate increased though.

leo

Actually I did measure temps..not pulse. Temp was lower before meal.

It's no big deal....but I just thought it strange that they went so high (high for me).

jb4566

leo said:
Actually I did measure temps..not pulse. Temp was lower before meal.

It's no big deal....but I just thought it strange that they went so high (high for me).

If it is working for you, I would say keep doing it.

Dutchie

@Leo i dont know how well you know the restaurantholders,but maybe you can talk to them about switching to coconut oil or butter? Or if you provide them some,that theyll use it when preparing your dishes?:)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Eating for metabolic heat Diet 1
username Erectile dysfunction at 29. No morning wood for years (unless eating lots of starch and fat before bed). Diet 15
miquelangeles How to avoid depressive symptoms when eating choline rich foods? Ask For Help or Advice 19
Lambivore 17 Years Old And Eating Like This, Is it Good? Ask For Help or Advice 16
W Real olive oil for eating or solvent? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 4
Sam321 Can over-eating raise temp and pulse? Ask For Help or Advice 31
R Walking while eating to improve digestion? Digestion, Gut Flora 3
bzmazu Can eating junk food as a child alter your microbiome for life? Digestion, Gut Flora 0
J suggestions for family member who has trouble eating Ask For Help or Advice 8
IVILA Still Hungry After Eating Maintenance Calories Ask For Help or Advice 10
P How Do I Know If My Issues Are Caused By Enviroment Or Food? Dream About Eating Mold Mental Issues 5
T Why Can't I Stop Eating Junk Weight 0
xetawaves Anxiety, Depression And Confusion After Eating Ask For Help or Advice 6
pauljacob Is Eating An Orange Same As Juicing It? Diet 5
P Anti-Peat What Does Peat Have To Say About Tribal/indigenous Peoples Eating Pufa? Debate - Anti-Peat 22
Soren Eating Liver Causing Allergic Reaction? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
Doludolu Bioenergetic Way Of Eating And GLYCATION - Detrimental Effects For Health ? How Can You Avoid It? Metabolism 6
J Eating Liver Makes Me Feel Cold More Often And Faster, Why? Metabolism 7
GreekDemiGod Can Only Truly Be Satiated If Eating Over 150g Of Protein / Day Diet 26
S Taking Fa-soluble Vitamins One Hour After Eating? Fat-Soluble Vitamins 0
V Eating More Nutritious Food That I Don't Crave And I Find Hard To Digest Or Avoid Them At All? Digestion 9
J Nervous/Anxious Energy After Eating Fruit - Blood Sugar Issues? Blood Sugar 9
U Anybody Here Eating Buckwheat? Diet 18
V Eating Less Meals A Day Digestion 7
K Severe Stomach Pain After Eating Most Proteins Digestion 7
RealNeat New RP Interview (8/5) Says, "stop Eating For A While." Weight 59
B I Highly Recommend Eating Animal Testicles Organ Meat 19
T Please Help. Shortness Of Breath After Eating Diet 13
B Anti-Peat Low Carb Eating Does Not Cause Hypothyroid Debate - Anti-Peat 56
GelatinGoblin Cooking And Eating Elastin? Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 0
L Anti-Peat I Think Eating A Ray Peat Style Diet Messed Me Up Debate - Anti-Peat 58
I Women Gains 70 Pounds While Only Eating 2 Days Per Week Weight 10
ecstatichamster Men: Have You Tried Eating Dried Bull Testicle Powder Yet? Hormones 7
Vileplume If You Sleep Well After Eating Something, Can This Be Taken As A Sign Of Good Digestion? Digestion 4
michael94 Eating Amylase? Sugar, Honey 0
A Night Terrors/Sleep Disturbances/Irritability After Eating Starch/other Foods (Ex Carnivore) Digestion 10
PleaseDoo21 Is There Anything Inherently Wrong With Eating A Tonne Of Cocoa? Ask For Help or Advice 6
Y Best Source For Youth Steriods (preg/prog/dhea) From Eating Brains? Ask For Help or Advice 23
C Getting Over Some Initial Hurdles Of Petean Eating Ask For Help or Advice 8
C Eating Liver Everyday Is Bad? Organ Meat 14
C How To Raise Cholesterol For Anabolism Without Eating Eggs? Ask For Help or Advice 18
J Should I Be Soaking Sunflower Seeds Before Eating Them? Skin 11
Peatogenic Any Ideas Why I Would Get Weird Ear Issues After Eating Chocolate? Diet 10
D I’ve Been Eating 2000-2500 Calories/day For Years. (6 Ft 8, 220 Lbs) Macros & Micros 19
F Oldest Person In UK To Recover From Covid-19 (aged 99) Attributes Recovery To Eating Marmalade Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 17
A Panic Rush After Eating Bananas/taking Potassium Salt Ask For Help or Advice 38
J Joint Pain After Eating The Ray Peat Forum Lounge 2
BearWithMe Have Ruined My Gallbladder By Low Fat Diet, Now I Can't Get Back To Eating Fat Ask For Help or Advice 79
P What Kind Of Carb Is Best When Eating Higher Saturated Fats Metabolism 3
A Eating This Way Plus Thyroid And Progesterone Make Me Really Depressed Diet 23