Calming Food Fears & Sugar

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Q: I have no control over oils when eating out. What can I do to offset the harmful effects of polyunsaturated oils?

"A small amount of these oils won't kill you. It is the proportion of them in your diet that matters. A little extra vitamin E (such as 100 units per day) will take care of an occasional American restaurant meal. Based on animal studies, it would take a teaspoonful per day of corn or soy oil added to a fat-free diet to significantly increase our risk of cancer. Unfortunately, it is impossible to devise a fat-free diet outside of a laboratory. Vegetables, grains, nuts, fish and meats all naturally contain large amounts of these oils, and the extra oil used in cooking becomes a more serious problem." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oops I lived a little this past week!

Attachments

• 20210704_194503.jpg
    20210704_194503.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 29

akgrrrl

Some mushrooms would have been good too if I had them, but the provelone and garlicky bread was AMAZING!
I would like to try this but with masa tortillas in a casserold dish, making 6 torts thicker than usual, prob fried like a gordita to line a pan. Then your meat method spread out, onion, garlic, spices,prob some olives and cheese, maybe leftover salsa part of a can tomato sauce and a 400degree oven 20 mins.
I know I have neglected the sourdough Einkorn thread, I have a good recipe for kaiser rolls that make good sliders..dancing fast as I can yippee

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I would like to try this but with masa tortillas in a casserold dish, making 6 torts thicker than usual, prob fried like a gordita to line a pan. Then your meat method spread out, onion, garlic, spices,prob some olives and cheese, maybe leftover salsa part of a can tomato sauce and a 400degree oven 20 mins.
I know I have neglected the sourdough Einkorn thread, I have a good recipe for kaiser rolls that make good sliders..dancing fast as I can yippee
Yum yum! That sounds a bit like a masa pie! I made one in Spring with short ribs and green fruity olives, but masa was on top instead.

Attachments

• 20210327_163525.jpg
    20210327_163525.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 13
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Have you worked with hominy? My dad use to buy a lot of cans of it when I was growing up, so good just cooked with butter. That might because good bottom to your creation too! My brother and I had to fend for ourselves a lot and I made canned hominy or cheesy greens bean often.

akgrrrl

Have you worked with hominy? My dad use to buy a lot of cans of it when I was growing up, so good just cooked with butter. That might because good bottom to your creation too! My brother and I had to fend for ourselves a lot and I made canned hominy or cheesy greens bean often.
Interesting combo, but good idea. No i have only used hominy mashed in a certain tortilla recipe, otherwise grits with cheese with breakfast eggs, or with sugar and milk and butter for breakfast or late nite fridge raid.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Interesting combo, but good idea. No i have only used hominy mashed in a certain tortilla recipe, otherwise grits with cheese with breakfast eggs, or with sugar and milk and butter for breakfast or late nite fridge raid.
You make tortillas with hominy?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yes. I think its 1/3 blenderized hominy 2/3 masa. Hot iron griddle, its a fail on any other
Yeah I cannot get tortillas made with masa and not have them turn out dry and stiff. So the hominy makes them more bendable?

akgrrrl

Yeah I cannot get tortillas made with masa and not have them turn out dry and stiff. So the hominy makes them more bendable
As you know method can be everything. When I watched mexican women, they do several things not on the side of the masa bag.
All masa mixed with water is covered tightly.
Masa mixed with water is allowed to sit. And absorb. I have seen them add a final bit of masa to dough that sat, if it was too sticky.
Torts are always mixed by hand, mixers incorporate air.
Hands are greased, pans are greased, tortilla press often used wax paper between the presses.
Wonder what else they dont tell us on the side of the pkg?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
As you know method can be everything. When I watched mexican women, they do several things not on the side of the masa bag.
All masa mixed with water is covered tightly.
Masa mixed with water is allowed to sit. And absorb. I have seen them add a final bit of masa to dough that sat, if it was too sticky.
Torts are always mixed by hand, mixers incorporate air.
Hands are greased, pans are greased, tortilla press often used wax paper between the presses.
Wonder what else they dont tell us on the side of the pkg?
Yeah right? Vileplume and I talked about adding in a little liquid coconut oil to make them pliable. It worked wonders for making flour tortillas.

akgrrrl

Yeah right? Vileplume and I talked about adding in a little liquid coconut oil to make them pliable. It worked wonders for making flour tortillas.
Oh yes always some oil. Traditionally bacon fat,
Now prob some pufa laden stuffs. Try a tablespoon mixed with the water, wrap and let sit. Then try. Good luck!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Open face burgers are a great idea. Thanks! Guessing the bottom bun is sourdough?
Yes, yeast free with sourdough starter. I also put an egg in the 1 pound of beef to keep it moist. I made some patties thick and some thin, and I liked the thinner ones better, so more of the homemade garlic butter in the bread and provelone was the focus.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals