maggie's success story

SQu

Maggie is my dog. She is a beautiful and naughty black Labrador, 12 years old. We didn't start Peating for her, but she is the first one in the family to be ready to post a success story.

History: aging at an average rate, Maggie has a grey chin but otherwise not much greying. But she's getting to that turning point where they get really old, and die usually at 13 or so. Her coat was getting to look like an old carpet, tending to get a matted appearance and sort of rusty looking. Her eyes were misting over badly with cataracts. Health otherwise good, but energy waning, and moving more stiffly, arthritic. I take her to the vet as often as I take us to the doctor, i.e. only when strictly necessary. So no ops for the eyes, etc. She was getting deaf, selectively so at times, being a wily soul, but more than just that.

It's been about 9 months since we've been Peating, but several more years of making broths and stocks. We started to notice her coat was looking great. Thick, dark black, and wonderfully shiny. No more matted carpet look. Then I noticed her putting on a turn of speed when there was the chance of a walk. Se actually galloped, as opposed to a lopsided canter/lollop. Then we looked closer and noticed that her eyes have cleared, there is no cloudiness. And then I noticed her turning her head to listen to us. She's hearing more. She also feels more substantial, not like a half empty bag. More muscle.

Diet: she eats what we eat, but gets proportionately more of the protein, because I more or less continuously make broth and stock, and she gets to eat the leftovers. So probably 4 times or more a week she will get chicken necks, feet, heads, carcases; beef bones, tendons, skin. On top of normal table scraps, and making up the difference with standard old dog cubes (I don't buy the marketing for the expensive ones, I know they're all cereal factory sweepings essentially; and I never bought that 'don't feed your dogs table scraps' because if it's good food for us, why wouldn't it be good for dogs? I always saw that as an attempt to eliminate the number one competitor for commercial dog food - same thing for processed foods for all species - ie. home cooked meals.)

No supps, not much dairy, she's not partial to fruit even though a lab will eat almost anything, but has a little bread, rice etc.

So it's mostly the protein, glycine and so on. Based on her results, looks like we as a family ought to consider swapping our dinner plates for her bowl! Seriously, more stock and broth perhaps, if I can just find some way to get it into everyone.

It's nice to see her feeling and looking years younger. Thanks for all the tips like chicken necks!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
In a radio interview, (going from memory and its been a while since I heard) Ray Peat said dogs would probably live longer if they got more candy. I think he was alluding to sugar.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
My dogs love eating small pieces of carrot when I've made carrot salad. I wonder if it helps them with endotoxin too?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I love raw carrots!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 922
Thanks for sharing!

I also have an elderly dog (~12 years old) that has been improving from applying some of Peat's principles. He began going bald all over, and his hair came back when I started getting him more sunlight exposure and restricting PUFA. Instead of giving him bone broth, I just give him whole raw cattle knee joints every few days.

I also recently discovered a ruminant meat based dog food with zero added PUFA: K9 Natural Raw Frozen Lamb dog food. It's extremely expensive and does unfortunately have some goitrogenic brassicas (broccoli, cauliflower) but I think in very small amounts. Human food is probably much cheaper.

I propose we try to compile some more information on how to apply Ray Peat's principles to dogs.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I was thinking about adding some honey to my dogs food. I have two actually and I rescued them both. They both love cheese and the little guy in the picture will rob your milk if you leave it in a glass and walk away!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
My little chihuahua is the same way with milk. She will literally dive in the cup if she has too. :rolling And she loves coconut oil.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Mine's a mutt called a chiweenie and sometimes he gets his little head stuck in the glass! :lol: I know it's not funny but it's so cute.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
More cheese please?

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 893

Parsifal

My dad once told me that giving sugar to a dog can make it blind. I wondered lately if giving sugar and fruits to dogs and cats could be bad for them?

Richiebogie

Cats do not have sugar receptors like dogs. Cats are obligate carnivores and dogs are more flexible.

Stilgar

This is a great story!

Yeah, Richiebogie, I agree. For cats I reckon sugar is just a bit pointless (though, you never know) and likely to cause digestive distress?

Commercial pet foods are so shockingly poor and full of some of the weirdest and worst ingredients. It makes me so happy to hear of happy pets on happy peaty foods! I think Ray also mentioned niacin in an interview regarding dogs and them becoming suddenly frisky? So many weapons in the Peat arsenal for old pets.

My cats are have had big health effects from vitamin E, and I think it can do very good things in most animals that have been on pufa a long time. I also second gelatin as being essential! Chicken feet for your finances...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals