I just recently ordered @haidut's cyproheptadine (mainly for digestive issues), and it seems like many people who have taken it seem to get extremely foggy and tired, even if it helps their other symptoms. To anyone who has experience with cypro, how did you overcome this? I also hear some people feel better mentally and energy wise with cypro, so I'm wondering what the difference is. Perhaps being on thyroid as well simultaneously helps.

miquelangeles

There is not much you can do, because dr. Peat's recommended dose is rather small (.5 - 1mg) and not for extended periods of time.
With long term administration the fogginess disappears, especially at higher doses when it acts as an antidepressant just like the tricyclics to which it is related.
But at low dose, it is firstly an antihistamine and secondly antiserotonin.

OP
Outdoctrination
There is not much you can do, because dr. Peat's recommended dose is rather small (.5 - 1mg) and not for extended periods of time.
With long term administration the fogginess disappears, especially at higher doses when it acts as an antidepressant just like the tricyclics to which it is related.
But at low dose, it is firstly an antihistamine and secondly antiserotonin.

In the trials done for functional digestive issues they normally dose it around 0.14 mg/kg bodyweight, meaning a dose could be 10+ mg/day. I don't understand why would it cause fogginess if the purpose of the antiserotonergic property is to fix metabolism?

miquelangeles

In the trials done for functional digestive issues they normally dose it around 0.14 mg/kg bodyweight, meaning a dose could be 10+ mg/day. I don't understand why would it cause fogginess if the purpose of the antiserotonergic property is to fix metabolism?
Because of the H1 blockade.

Murtaza

fogginess disappears pretty quickly with continued use. 1mg i think is plenty for almost everyone, its really a miracle drug which can fix alot in a short period of time.

miquelangeles

fogginess disappears pretty quickly with continued use. 1mg i think is plenty for almost everyone, its really a miracle drug which can fix alot in a short period of time.
It is indeed. In low dose the effects are very similar to doxepin (they are structurally very similar), but I like doxepin more. Cyproheptadine noticeably affects my mood at 1mg.

OP
Outdoctrination
It is indeed. In low dose the effects are very similar to doxepin (they are structurally very similar), but I like doxepin more. Cyproheptadine noticeably affects my mood at 1mg.
Effects your mood in a good way?

Hermes

Reading up on this thread I tried one 0.5 mg cyproheptadine. Not sure what to make of the effects, Feel like I'm more content with myself but feel now really sleepy in mid afternoon. Well, lately I have begun to nap again. So all in all not a bad reaction because good rest is the beginning of good health.

Hermes

Cyproheptadine makes me little more levelheaded, less flighty. Maybe also more able to deal with current tasks at hand. What's not fun is the grogginess even at low dose of 0.5 mg. Maybe this will change as suggested after more then a week.

tankasnowgod

I just recently ordered @haidut's cyproheptadine (mainly for digestive issues), and it seems like many people who have taken it seem to get extremely foggy and tired, even if it helps their other symptoms. To anyone who has experience with cypro, how did you overcome this? I also hear some people feel better mentally and energy wise with cypro, so I'm wondering what the difference is. Perhaps being on thyroid as well simultaneously helps.

My experience is that's it's easier to push through the fogginess/heaviness quicker with a higher dose-

I've taken cypro on and off, anywhere from 1-4mg. When taking it sporadically at those doses, I notice the heaviness in the AM, that seems to persist for hours.

I was going to try taking a lower dose for an extended period of time, and at 1mg for two weeks, the heaviness persisted for that time. I stopped.

I recently decided to try a 4mg dose a day, and was just going to push through the heaviness, however long it took. At the higher dose, it went away after about 3 days. I now have maybe a bit of fog upon waking, but that clears within 20 minutes or so, by the time I've had coffee. Only been about a week to ten days so far. Maybe there is something to taking a higher dose to "push through" whatever that fog is, because it's not as bad on the 4mg dose this time.

Something like 4mg in the evening until you just don't get the fogginess anymore (maybe a few days- a week). Then, if you wish, you can cut back to a dose like 0.5-1mg. It does build up. Using a higher dose and "pushing through" was more effective than just taking 1mg or so, and waiting for it to pass. I did two weeks at 1mg, and was still getting the fogginess every morning. I've heard other members stating that Peat even recommends the higher loading dose approach, but haven't seen or heard that quote directly.

Some of the tiredness can be from a reduction in stress hormones, but I think the bigger issue with cypro is from the Anti-Histamine effect.

Hermes

Something like 4mg in the evening until you just don't get the fogginess anymore (maybe a few days- a week). Then, if you wish, you can cut back to a dose like 0.5-1mg. It does build up. Using a higher dose and "pushing through" was more effective than just taking 1mg or so, and waiting for it to pass. I did two weeks at 1mg, and was still getting the fogginess every morning. I've heard other members stating that Peat even recommends the higher loading dose approach, but haven't seen or heard that quote directly.
Thanks for the suggestion.

You have high regards for the substance. Why is it? What's your personal experience? How would you say has it benefited you over the period of time you have used?

tankasnowgod

Thanks for the suggestion.

You have high regards for the substance. Why is it? What's your personal experience? How would you say has it benefited you over the period of time you have used?

I took it for about 5 months last year, starting in August/September. The COVID and lockdown nonsense was really getting to me. Serotonin antagonists helped immensely during this time.

While taking it, I noticed a reduction in a lot of normal "stress" features. For example, when driving normally, if I got cut off by someone, I would immediately get a surge of adrenaline, and often get angry, and such. When the same thing happened on cypro, I noticed the adreniline response was really muted. I don't know if cypro has been used for PTSD, but I think it has amazing potential in that area, just based on that.

It helped mood tremendously. It literally might have been a lifesaver (don't know if that's good or bad in this current world), but if we do come out of this craziness, I know cypro will be one of the big tools that helped me to navigate this time. It feels like a "true" anti depressant. Helps mood a lot when you are on it.

I also noticed a bit of improvement in digestion. I made several changes during these times, but others have noted the improvement in digestion, too. Also, didn't get sick at any time on cypro.

Also, the other thing, stopping it was no big deal. After 5 months, cypro left me in a better place than it found me. The only thing I noticed the week I stopped cypro was that mood and emotions were more "sharp," if that's the right word.

It just does a lot of great things. The only reason I stopped was it seemed to be preventing weight loss (maybe it's the anti-cholinergic effects). I still have quite a bit left, and I think it's a fantastic substance to have on hand, and one I wouldn't hesitate to use again (so long as I could deal with the zombie-ness for a few days.

Hermes

That's a detailed write-up of your experience. Thanks for you time.

I'll continue to use it for the following week and see what I'll notice other than the grogginess in the morning.

Murtaza

Interesting. Do you take it at night, and how much? For a chronic digestive issue I figure I might need a relatively high dose, but am planning on doing it alongside tyromix.
i take 1mg cypro and 3mg bromocriptine in the morning after breakfast. i used to have digestive issues with certain foods like comsuming alot of milk in a day but this combo has totally elimintaed that. been doing this for close to a year now.

golder

i take 1mg cypro and 3mg bromocriptine in the morning after breakfast. i used to have digestive issues with certain foods like comsuming alot of milk in a day but this combo has totally elimintaed that. been this for close to a year now.
Could the bromicriptine be replaced with metergoline/Lisuride? I want to try this combo

Murtaza

I took it for about 5 months last year, starting in August/September. The COVID and lockdown nonsense was really getting to me. Serotonin antagonists helped immensely during this time.

While taking it, I noticed a reduction in a lot of normal "stress" features. For example, when driving normally, if I got cut off by someone, I would immediately get a surge of adrenaline, and often get angry, and such. When the same thing happened on cypro, I noticed the adreniline response was really muted. I don't know if cypro has been used for PTSD, but I think it has amazing potential in that area, just based on that.

It helped mood tremendously. It literally might have been a lifesaver (don't know if that's good or bad in this current world), but if we do come out of this craziness, I know cypro will be one of the big tools that helped me to navigate this time. It feels like a "true" anti depressant. Helps mood a lot when you are on it.

I also noticed a bit of improvement in digestion. I made several changes during these times, but others have noted the improvement in digestion, too. Also, didn't get sick at any time on cypro.

Also, the other thing, stopping it was no big deal. After 5 months, cypro left me in a better place than it found me. The only thing I noticed the week I stopped cypro was that mood and emotions were more "sharp," if that's the right word.

It just does a lot of great things. The only reason I stopped was it seemed to be preventing weight loss (maybe it's the anti-cholinergic effects). I still have quite a bit left, and I think it's a fantastic substance to have on hand, and one I wouldn't hesitate to use again (so long as I could deal with the zombie-ness for a few days.
its interesting you talk about the weight loss thing, i gained like 20 lbs when i first started taking it. Dropped starch in july and since then ive lost 30 lbs and gained lean muscle while staying on the same dose.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals