Anyone Using Xylitol?

jaywills

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience, anecdotes or is currently using Xylitol?
If so, what are the benefits you have noticed, how are you using it and would you recommend it?

I have been using a store, common brand fluoride toothpaste and am keen to replace it with a better, fluoride free, alternative.

I have noticed a white coated tongue from time to time so am wondering if Xylitol can help rebalance my oral health and reduce this,

Thanks all,
J

rick408

TheSir

I've been using xylitol gum & mints all my life. If you use enough you can routinely go 1-2 days without brushing because you will not have any buildup in your teeth. It essentially slows & diminishes the plaque formation

Ableton

I have ditched my fluoride toothpaste, and replaced it with one that is mostly made out of clay and has nothing special in it.
No xylitol in it.
After brushing my teeth, I have a xylitol gum.
My oral health has improved since I did this.
I use very soft toothbrushes. Harder one only every other day if I feel there is a slight Plaque buildup

OP
J

jaywills

Thanks all for your comments so far. Good to hear experiences have been so positive.
It also sounds like gum is the way to go.
Alternatively, I wondered if you could purchase the powder version (i.e Sainsbury's online Grocery Shopping and Fresh Food Delivery) and apply this to your toothbrush and brush accordingly?
Does this sound like a suitable additional/ alternative approach?

Ableton

Brushing is about mechanically removing plaque.
Xylitol and the likes just have to be in teeth environment, there is no need at all to „brush it in“
Might be abrasive

Peater Piper

I used xylitol in the past for oral care. I tried Zellies, but it was cheaper when I was home just to use a teaspoon of powered xylitol after meals (I would spit it out after swishing for 5-10 minutes). It really did help prevent a biofilm from forming, but eventually I noticed I was getting more buildup by the end of the day and my mouth seemed to be getting sensitive. It's known that bacteria can adapt to using xylitol for energy, in fact that's stated as one of the benefits, but in my case I think they may have adapted too well. I eventually stopped. I do still use it for nasal irrigation, it helps create a hypertonic solution without the irritation of extra salt.

Dave Clark

I use xylitol every night before bed, I just tap a bit of powder in my mouth swish it around and swallow. Also, if you have the xylitol crystals and want to make it a powder, for whatever reason, put it in a hand held coffee/spice grinder, and it only takes a few seconds to turn the crystals into a powder (more desirable if you are using it in a tooth brushing powder).

Velve921

I use xylitol every night before bed, I just tap a bit of powder in my mouth swish it around and swallow. Also, if you have the xylitol crystals and want to make it a powder, for whatever reason, put it in a hand held coffee/spice grinder, and it only takes a few seconds to turn the crystals into a powder (more desirable if you are using it in a tooth brushing powder).

Where did you buy your powder from?

Can you attach a link? I am looking to try.

Ash

I buy the powder/crystals and mix it with water and then swish my mouth with it several times a day. It is readily available at Amazon.

Dave Clark

Gosh, there are many places to get xylitol. Keep in mind, most xylitol is in crystal form, and if you want it to be a fine powder, you will have to do what I suggested in my post. But, here is an on-line source of many good organic nutrients, a vendor I have used reliably for years:
Also, if you have health food or whole food stores nearby, they will most likely have some, and I have even seen it in Walmart's grocery section.

Velve921

Gosh, there are many places to get xylitol. Keep in mind, most xylitol is in crystal form, and if you want it to be a fine powder, you will have to do what I suggested in my post. But, here is an on-line source of many good organic nutrients, a vendor I have used reliably for years:
Also, if you have health food or whole food stores nearby, they will most likely have some, and I have even seen it in Walmart's grocery section.
Awesome. Thanks for taking the time and sharing my friend!

LA

Supposedly Xylitol can cause bloating since it is high in Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols (FODMAP) altho it might not bother everyone. After noticing I would be slightly puffy, with uncomfortable bloating after chewing Xylitol gum. I stopped the gum chewing habit. We use a Xylitol toothpaste. I dont plan on purchasing anymore. I use it a few times a week and otherwise have been brushing with plain water, water and sea salt, or using Food Grade Peroxide.

Dr. Peat on Xylitol:
The same was found accumulated in the blood and lenses of affected children. In addition, xylose was present in small amounts in the urine and blood and xylitol was present in the lens.
[snip]
Excessive hydration and the osmotic effect of xylitol from xylose might cause cataract.
"The transparency of life: Cataracts as a model of age-related disease" © Ray Peat 2006. All Rights Reserved. www.RayPeat.com

RealNeat

I was developing an oral health product last year and was doing the research involved in proving its efficacy.

the main ingredient was xylitol. After extensive research on pubmed (2018/19) I found no convincing proof of its health benefits. The only thing that it seems to do is not feed bacteria but still makes you salivate, which is very beneficial for teeth and preserving their alkalinity. However, salt does the same thing. Maybe this is why cheese after meals does what xylitol is being claimed to do but much better.

there are claims it's made from natural birch (and others corn)... technically yes.. but it's so far removed from birch the claim is just a marketing ploy. It's a highly processed unnatural compound.

I don't trust the company that makes xylitol at all, as they have many other patentable food like products for pure profit and absolutely no altruism value. Though their marketing would have you think otherwise. It's a small company you may have heard of them they are called DuPont...

on a personal note, there are claims of adaption to the effects of xylitol on the gut but whenever I'd swallow even a little bit the cramps I'd get were very uncomfortable and I can't see any benefit of that kind of alteration to the microbiome.

I was developing an oral health product last year and was doing the research involved in proving its efficacy.

the main ingredient was xylitol. After extensive research on pubmed (2018/19) I found no convincing proof of its health benefits. The only thing that it seems to do is not feed bacteria but still makes you salivate, which is very beneficial for teeth and preserving their alkalinity. However, salt does the same thing. Maybe this is why cheese after meals does what xylitol is being claimed to do but much better.

there are claims it's made from natural birch (and others corn)... technically yes.. but it's so far removed from birch the claim is just a marketing ploy. It's a highly processed unnatural compound.

I don't trust the company that makes xylitol at all, as they have many other patentable food like products for pure profit and absolutely no altruism value. Though their marketing would have you think otherwise. It's a small company you may have heard of them they are called DuPont...

on a personal note, there are claims of adaption to the effects of xylitol on the gut but whenever I'd swallow even a little bit the cramps I'd get were very uncomfortable and I can't see any benefit of that kind of alteration to the microbiome.

The cramps (and diarrhoea) come from swallowing the dose immediately and on an empty stomach. If you swish in your mouth and mix the xylitol thoroughly with saliva before swallowing (I like 5-8 minutes) and do so after you have eaten a meal, the effects should be different. If I have not done it consistently for a while, sometimes there is a mild euphoria the next morning (I do it after my last meal before bed).

But thanks for sharing the background information on the product. Definitely insightful.

golder

The cramps (and diarrhoea) come from swallowing the dose immediately and on an empty stomach. If you swish in your mouth and mix the xylitol thoroughly with saliva before swallowing (I like 5-8 minutes) and do so after you have eaten a meal, the effects should be different. If I have not done it consistently for a while, sometimes there is a mild euphoria the next morning (I do it after my last meal before bed).

But thanks for sharing the background information on the product. Definitely insightful.
I wonder what the euphoria is the day after swallowing xylitol?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals