Anyone heal from extreme exercise?

Jennifer

Hello, I’m new here. I’ve done CrossFit for around 4 years and have stopped for around 5 months. I combined it with low-carb eating and got very sick. I’m still very ill from this lifestyle. Symptoms include: severe insomnia with adrenaline wake-ups, night sweats, inability to rest, wired-but-tired feeling, akathisia, zero libido, zero energy, easily agitated, loss of concentration, no joy in life, decreased performance in the gym despite constantly working out super hard, inability to lose belly fat, tinnitus, etc, etc. This has all greatly damaged my life. I finally came to terms with the fact that CrossFit and low-carb eating put me in this condition - I thought I was being healthy!!

Has anyone else had similar issues due to excessive exercise? And did you heal?

Thanks

I healed from extreme exercise—in my case, climbing mountains—in combination with a high-carb, low-fat, plant-based diet, which resulted in half my spine collapsing in my 20s from advanced osteoporosis and having to learn how to walk again, among other things. My doctor at the time put me on an ancestral diet inspired by WAPF principles and it helped snap me out of the plant-based mindset that animal proteins were bad for my health, and as I made up for lost times by giving into my intense cravings for dairy—I averaged 4 liters worth daily—my bone density increased by over 50% within a year. Unfortunately, my doctor had her own set of restrictive beliefs, just like all the other well-intentioned experts and people whose advice I followed that led to the mess I found myself in, and I wound up chasing my tail for years and prolonging my recovery.

I don’t believe in living with regrets but if I had my healing journey to do all over again, I would avoid health and recovery related forums, blogs, podcasts, books etc. and instead, make the practice of self-love my first priority, and then experiment with foods to see which I felt best on and actually liked because sadly, I had been listening to the “experts” for so long that I was unsure of which foods I actually liked and not just convinced myself I liked because of their supposed benefits or lack of “harm.” Once I finally let go and not just dipped my toe in it, my healing really took off and within a couple of months I was training to climb again, something my doctors said would never happen. I want to climb a mountain at least one last time for a special reason and after that, I may not want to climb ever again, however, I want the opportunity to decide for myself.

I wish you self-acceptance and a speedy recovery, DBCoast. ❤️

OP
D

DBCoast

Same history of under-eating, (omad at one point) and over-exercising here. Took me two years to finally figure out how much food I needed and how much exercise my body really wanted. I’d also mention that re-learning how to exercise was a process for me, so try to be gentle to yourself while you re-learn. I moved from 5 days a week to 3 days a week to 4 days a week to 3 days a week until finally I was able to recognize that I was nowhere near being rational with exercise. But I just want to say that all of that experimentation was part of the process of letting go of that stress I was addicted to.

Mike Mentzer’s work, (which I absolutely mocked outright as a teenager) became a foundation for me. Obviously you don’t want to model your healthy exercise off anyone who takes very large doses of anabolics if you’re not on them yourself, but Mentzer at least got me to think about working out in terms of doing the least amount possible to generate a response.

I’ve finally whittled down to a two day split, (working out only Monday and Friday) using the principle of 5,3,1. It’s a fantastic methodology that keeps you very far from failure while building strength. I never experience DOMS, and I eat significantly more, (an extra meal) on days I lift. I perform 3 exercises Monday, and 4 on Friday. I have a ton left in the tank on both days and force myself to stop because the workout is over and it’s now time to recover.

All that said, (sorry for the long post) I now wake up with good temps, better heart rates, better blood pressure, better mood, better blood sugar, etc etc. but while I spent tweaking everything on earth about my diet and physical environment when I discovered Peat’s work, I didn’t start to heal until I took a very good hard look at my addiction to exercise, my body image, and my self worth outside being strong.
Thanks, Evan. Your post really hits home for me. I was definitely addicted to the stress of it all. I believe I was addicted to the stress hormones too. I started CrossFit when I stopped drinking, and I didn’t want it to be a clichè of substituting one addiction for another, but looking back it likely was. I believe there was an element of self punishment in there also. Well, I don’t believe, I know there was.

I’ve always been strong and I’ve definitely based my self worth on it. I turn 43 in a few weeks and I’m dealing with “time running out” to have a fit body. So these body image things are challenging.

I will do my best to focus on healing and doing what works. No more extreme pushing because the body always wins.

OP
D

DBCoast

I healed from extreme exercise—in my case, climbing mountains—in combination with a high-carb, low-fat, plant-based diet, which resulted in half my spine collapsing in my 20s from advanced osteoporosis and having to learn how to walk again, among other things. My doctor at the time put me on an ancestral diet inspired by WAPF principles and it helped snap me out of the plant-based mindset that animal proteins were bad for my health, and as I made up for lost times by giving into my intense cravings for dairy—I averaged 4 liters worth daily—my bone density increased by over 50% within a year. Unfortunately, my doctor had her own set of restrictive beliefs, just like all the other well-intentioned experts and people whose advice I followed that led to the mess I found myself in, and I wound up chasing my tail for years and prolonging my recovery.

I don’t believe in living with regrets but if I had my healing journey to do all over again, I would avoid health and recovery related forums, blogs, podcasts, books etc. and instead, make the practice of self-love my first priority, and then experiment with foods to see which I felt best on and actually liked because sadly, I had been listening to the “experts” for so long that I was unsure of which foods I actually liked and not just convinced myself I liked because of their supposed benefits or lack of “harm.” Once I finally let go and not just dipped my toe in it, my healing really took off and within a couple of months I was training to climb again, something my doctors said would never happen. I want to climb a mountain at least one last time for a special reason and after that, I may not want to climb ever again, however, I want the opportunity to decide for myself.

I wish you self-acceptance and a speedy recovery, DBCoast. ❤️
Hey Jennifer, that is quite the journey you’ve been through. Amazing. What you said is so true - these experts can make you question yourself to the point of not knowing anything. I was 1,000% convinced that CrossFit and low carb dieting was THE way and anyone who wasn’t doing it was doing nothing. I would see people walking for exercise and think they were completely wasting time and they should have been doing heavy squats instead. But yes, it’s hard to see out of all of those dogmas. Crazy.

Thanks for the encouragement. I’m glad you listened to yourself and found healing. I will finally try to do the same.

LadyRae

Thanks, Evan. Your post really hits home for me. I was definitely addicted to the stress of it all. I believe I was addicted to the stress hormones too. I started CrossFit when I stopped drinking, and I didn’t want it to be a clichè of substituting one addiction for another, but looking back it likely was. I believe there was an element of self punishment in there also. Well, I don’t believe, I know there was.

I’ve always been strong and I’ve definitely based my self worth on it. I turn 43 in a few weeks and I’m dealing with “time running out” to have a fit body. So these body image things are challenging.

I will do my best to focus on healing and doing what works. No more extreme pushing because the body always wins.
I've been thinking about you and this thread a lot lately. Have you been able to remember a time in your past even 20 years ago, where you felt vibrantly alive, healthy, content and you felt comfortable in your body? Can you remember how you slept and ate and exercised, if at all? This has really helped me.

Jennifer

I was 1,000% convinced that CrossFit and low carb dieting was THE way and anyone who wasn’t doing it was doing nothing. I would see people walking for exercise and think they were completely wasting time and they should have been doing heavy squats instead.

Isn’t it great to be wrong? If you were wrong about CrossFit and low carb dieting then maybe you’re wrong about this:

I turn 43 in a few weeks and I’m dealing with “time running out” to have a fit body. So these body image things are challenging.

I once believed I was weak and that time was running out to build strength, but time doesn’t run out until we’re six feet under. I’m turning 42 the beginning of February and I have never felt as strong and healthy as I do now. It’s been 13 years since I fractured and I just started training this past spring, however, even though I wasn’t physically climbing these last 13 years, I most certainly was getting stronger. It’s hard to explain to those who have yet to experience it, but I was getting stronger in the self and the kind of strength that is born from that is out of this world. It’s not about low body fat percentages, visible abs and veins, huge biceps, weighing what we did in high school or any other physical trait one perceives as fit and strong. I’m physically a tiny person and yet I feel ginormous. Haha! I hiked with my brother who was 265 lb and didn’t give a rip about what he ate and to this day, he still hikes almost every weekend. Meanwhile, I looked physically fit and ate “healthy” and my bones dissolved. lol If I’ve learned anything it’s that looks can be deceiving and age really is just a number. Oh, and scales belong in the trash. :thumbsup:

OP
D

DBCoast

I've been thinking about you and this thread a lot lately. Have you been able to remember a time in your past even 20 years ago, where you felt vibrantly alive, healthy, content and you felt comfortable in your body? Can you remember how you slept and ate and exercised, if at all? This has really helped me.
No, I don’t think I can. During childhood I started gaining weight due to trauma. I took on the funny fat guy persona to cope. In high school I was the strong, but fat offensive lineman football player and binge drank every weekend. In college, more drinking, still overweight and unhealthy. No concept of healthy diet. In grad school, extreme stress, drinking, benzos. After grad school, severe benzo withdrawal, very toxic and triggering work environment, stress, beginnings of paleo diet. From then till now, paleo, stopped drinking, low carb, CrossFit, very sick. Throughout it all I’ve never felt comfortable in my body or vibrant. At the beginning of CrossFit my body looked the best it ever had and I had good physical stamina, but I was living on stress hormones and getting sicker by the day. I can’t really think of a time I was vibrant, healthy, and comfortable in my body. It’s always been a battle.

OP
D

DBCoast

Isn’t it great to be wrong? If you were wrong about CrossFit and low carb dieting then maybe you’re wrong about this:

I once believed I was weak and that time was running out to build strength, but time doesn’t run out until we’re six feet under. I’m turning 42 the beginning of February and I have never felt as strong and healthy as I do now. It’s been 13 years since I fractured and I just started training this past spring, however, even though I wasn’t physically climbing these last 13 years, I most certainly was getting stronger. It’s hard to explain to those who have yet to experience it, but I was getting stronger in the self and the kind of strength that is born from that is out of this world. It’s not about low body fat percentages, visible abs and veins, huge biceps, weighing what we did in high school or any other physical trait one perceives as fit and strong. I’m physically a tiny person and yet I feel ginormous. Haha! I hiked with my brother who was 265 lb and didn’t give a rip about what he ate and to this day, he still hikes almost every weekend. Meanwhile, I looked physically fit and ate “healthy” and my bones dissolved. lol If I’ve learned anything it’s that looks can be deceiving and age really is just a number. Oh, and scales belong in the trash. :thumbsup:
I love it. Yes, it is great to be wrong - the best way to learn! I’m working on these concepts of health and body image. How did you heal yourself? I would love to get to the point of healthy and strong.

Jennifer

I love it. Yes, it is great to be wrong - the best way to learn! I’m working on these concepts of health and body image. How did you heal yourself? I would love to get to the point of healthy and strong.

I don’t want to highjack your thread so I’ll keep it brief but if you’d like more details, I talk about it in my most recent log update. Fair warning, it’s hella long lol:

Like you, I experienced trauma as a child, and then the back injury, but last January something truly tragic happened and I decided that I would no longer wait for perfect conditions to be met, i.e. a perfect spine, before living a life I love and taking back what is rightfully mine. As a former football player, I imagine you understand the importance of getting your head in the game and not psyching yourself out? As a former cheerleader, I’ve had no problem cheering myself on, I just needed to get my head in the game and quit telling myself that there’s always tomorrow because the truth is, I may not have tomorrow, but I have now. Maybe for you, it’s as simple as channeling that strong guy on the field who knew what to do, and commit to being your biggest cheerleader?

Whether perfect in our eyes or not, our bodies do incredible things, but what they don’t do is define our worth. We are innately worthy and the beauty of that is, our worth isn’t even dependent on whether or not we know we’re worthy, we just are. You were never worthy because you’re funny and physically strong and you were never unworthy because of your weight. You have always been and will always be worthy because it’s who you are at the soul level, and nothing and no one can take that away from you. So consume healthy foods, get fit even, but I promise you that doing so because you love yourself and your life, and not because you think that who you are in this moment isn’t good enough, makes all the difference. You’re more than good enough, as is. :)

OP
D

DBCoast

I don’t want to highjack your thread so I’ll keep it brief but if you’d like more details, I talk about it in my most recent log update. Fair warning, it’s hella long lol:

Like you, I experienced trauma as a child, and then the back injury, but last January something truly tragic happened and I decided that I would no longer wait for perfect conditions to be met, i.e. a perfect spine, before living a life I love and taking back what is rightfully mine. As a former football player, I imagine you understand the importance of getting your head in the game and not psyching yourself out? As a former cheerleader, I’ve had no problem cheering myself on, I just needed to get my head in the game and quit telling myself that there’s always tomorrow because the truth is, I may not have tomorrow, but I have now. Maybe for you, it’s as simple as channeling that strong guy on the field who knew what to do, and commit to being your biggest cheerleader?

Whether perfect in our eyes or not, our bodies do incredible things, but what they don’t do is define our worth. We are innately worthy and the beauty of that is, our worth isn’t even dependent on whether or not we know we’re worthy, we just are. You were never worthy because you’re funny and physically strong and you were never unworthy because of your weight. You have always been and will always be worthy because it’s who you are at the soul level, and nothing and no one can take that away from you. So consume healthy foods, get fit even, but I promise you that doing so because you love yourself and your life, and not because you think that who you are in this moment isn’t good enough, makes all the difference. You’re more than good enough, as is. :)
Thank you for that thoughtful response, Jennifer. It means a lot. I read your log and I’m glad you found healing.

I’ve only started dealing with the trauma in the last year and it’s colored so much of my life that it’s a lot to take in. I think for me a lot of the struggle is forcing things vs. letting things be and healing. I’ve always pushed everything to the max, school, work, exercise, etc, etc, likely due to the trauma. So on one hand, I feel like I should not be a victim, suck it up, do a s*it load of deadlifts and shut up. But that didn’t work and only made me ill. I tried to beat my body into submission and my body won. It’s actually harder for me to NOT do that stuff. So letting myself heal without judging myself will be a challenge. Thankful for the support here.

Jennifer

You’re welcome, @DBCoast. And thank you. I appreciate that. :)

I understand. You don’t have to be a victim and at the same time, you don’t have to suck it up, either. You deserve the opportunity to process your trauma and experience the other side of it, and you deserve to feel healthy and happy in your skin without struggle. As a recovering perfectionist, I understand how hard it can be to let go and let healing happen naturally, however, I’ve been embracing underachievement in recent years and having taken 13 years just to get to this point, I feel like I’m really nailing it. lol kidding aside, even though you won’t be working hard in the gym, I suspect you’ll be doing some heavy lifting working through your trauma. It takes a lot of courage and strength to slay that beast so I admire you for taking on the challenge. Please keep us updated with your progress? I’m rooting for you. :)

OP
D

DBCoast

You’re welcome, @DBCoast. And thank you. I appreciate that. :)

I understand. You don’t have to be a victim and at the same time, you don’t have to suck it up, either. You deserve the opportunity to process your trauma and experience the other side of it, and you deserve to feel healthy and happy in your skin without struggle. As a recovering perfectionist, I understand how hard it can be to let go and let healing happen naturally, however, I’ve been embracing underachievement in recent years and having taken 13 years just to get to this point, I feel like I’m really nailing it. lol kidding aside, even though you won’t be working hard in the gym, I suspect you’ll be doing some heavy lifting working through your trauma. It takes a lot of courage and strength to slay that beast so I admire you for taking on the challenge. Please keep us updated with your progress? I’m rooting for you. :)
Thanks! Will do.

Nik665

Hello, I’m new here. I’ve done CrossFit for around 4 years and have stopped for around 5 months. I combined it with low-carb eating and got very sick. I’m still very ill from this lifestyle. Symptoms include: severe insomnia with adrenaline wake-ups, night sweats, inability to rest, wired-but-tired feeling, akathisia, zero libido, zero energy, easily agitated, loss of concentration, no joy in life, decreased performance in the gym despite constantly working out super hard, inability to lose belly fat, tinnitus, etc, etc. This has all greatly damaged my life. I finally came to terms with the fact that CrossFit and low-carb eating put me in this condition - I thought I was being healthy!!

Has anyone else had similar issues due to excessive exercise? And did you heal?

Thanks
Ray peat has said as long as you’re eating enough carbs the hypothyroidism can be avoided. So of course if it’s extreme exercise it’s even more important to replenish glycogen with fast sources of sugar such as easily digestible fruit or white sugar

LadyRae

Ray peat has said as long as you’re eating enough carbs the hypothyroidism can be avoided. So of course if it’s extreme exercise it’s even more important to replenish glycogen with fast sources of sugar such as easily digestible fruit or white sugar
I am feeling better today eating more carrots, watermelon and pineapple. Slept great last night too

PeterLake

I dealt with something similar at one point. Was boxing 1-2 hours per day in addition to 6 hours working on my feet. Lifting on top of all that. For me, my mental health collapsed before my physical health did (though I suppose they're not separate). This is actually what led me to Ray in the first place.

For me, it took about 5 months of zero training and eating right to sort things out. During period, if I worked out hard, I'd start having panic attacks 2-3 hours post-workout like clockwork.

Now that I'm in a better place and have been for quite some time, I'm back to lifting 2 times a week (as Evan mentioned, Mike Mentzer is a great resource for this style of training) and boxing 1-2 times at a lower intensity. I try and go on a calm walk/hike the other days of the week, or just do something fun. I've gained way more muscle mass with reduced lifting volume -- I think different bodies are just adapted to more/less volume. I suspect many of the people on this forum who struggle with exercise intolerance would make more progress by resting 4-5-even 6 days between workout sessions.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals