Anyone Have Personal Experience With TUDCA?

martybyrde

I took TUDCA for a month a while back. Darkened my stools and can strongly boost dopamine. Seems to cause a mild dependence, as I felt low dopamine for about a week after quitting. Balanced out after that though.

Nimo

Nimo- did you ever get an answer to your question (elsewhere)? Did you take tudca? I bought some for me and my hubby to try, but haven't started yet. It has 400mg/cap along with some other liver-friendly ingredients. The directions on this product say to take at bedtime, assume away from food. Any input appreciated.
i have took it for 2 weeks in june 2023, it increased my bilirubin and cholesterol, i do believe it does something but i stoped it because it scared me. but i wasnt eating enought fiber so now im trying low vitamin A low Copper low Toxin diet with increased fiber, and after couple months i will try tudca again as i believe it is really good supplement for liver health. but i need first add some fiber to my diet and let body to adapt because i was on ray peat diet with low fiber and now i react to fiber badly, no bloat but alot gas...

Kray

i have took it for 2 weeks in june 2023, it increased my bilirubin and cholesterol, i do believe it does something but i stoped it because it scared me. but i wasnt eating enought fiber so now im trying low vitamin A low Copper low Toxin diet with increased fiber, and after couple months i will try tudca again as i believe it is really good supplement for liver health. but i need first add some fiber to my diet and let body to adapt because i was on ray peat diet with low fiber and now i react to fiber badly, no bloat but alot gas...
Good points. Thanks for sharing, keep us posted!

Kray

I took TUDCA for a month a while back. Darkened my stools and can strongly boost dopamine. Seems to cause a mild dependence, as I felt low dopamine for about a week after quitting. Balanced out after that though.
Thanks for that input. Did you notice overall improvements otherwise?

martybyrde

Thanks for that input. Did you notice overall improvements otherwise?
Im not so sure of permanent changes but definitely while I was on my digestion was a bit better but it didn’t cure anything. I took it to help poor bile flow and terrible bloating and constipation. It just helped my symptoms but didn’t cure.

I just remembered it made me itchy for the first few days but that subsided.

Kray

Im not so sure of permanent changes but definitely while I was on my digestion was a bit better but it didn’t cure anything. I took it to help poor bile flow and terrible bloating and constipation. It just helped my symptoms but didn’t cure.

I just remembered it made me itchy for the first few days but that subsided.
Thanks, good to note.

Kray

I’ve taken TUDCA...this is interesting
Do you still take TUDCA? Is it something to take long-term, or as-needed? I'm torn about trialing it, not sure what to expect. I bought a 250mg dose. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Do you still take TUDCA? Is it something to take long-term, or as-needed? I'm torn about trialing it, not sure what to expect. I bought a 250mg dose. Any feedback would be appreciated.

No I don’t take it. I am taking fewer and fewer supplemetns these days. TUDCA works for a day or so, in increasing bile, but stops working very soon.

Kray

No I don’t take it. I am taking fewer and fewer supplemetns these days. TUDCA works for a day or so, in increasing bile, but stops working very soon.
Thanks, good to know. I'm on the fence. Do you intake high fiber? I'm really on the fence about that, thought TUDCA could help with constipation. On fiber threads there seems to be a debate on whether to supplement it or increase it in daily foods. What do you think of fiber supplements in lieu of something like TUDCA to get things moving?

Thanks, good to know. I'm on the fence. Do you intake high fiber? I'm really on the fence about that, thought TUDCA could help with constipation. On fiber threads there seems to be a debate on whether to supplement it or increase it in daily foods. What do you think of fiber supplements in lieu of something like TUDCA to get things moving?
well cooked bamboo shoots are good

RealNeat

TUDCA as great and therapeutic as it is may be a band aid of sorts if choline intake is not sufficient. The gallbladder and liver help to digest fat which will be highly compromised if A) your intake of choline or betaine is low and B) if you have MTHFR deficits, which require even more choline to overcome. TUDCA and an adequate amount of choline together is likely a more permanent fix. Here is the genetic choline calculator made by Chris Masterjohn: How Much Choline Should I Eat? The Genetic Calculator (you will need your genetic raw data)

Kray

@ecstatichamster
I hear you on the cascara. On another thread, I read that some use more than recommended dose. I've been hesitant to do this, but will up until I see results.

@RealNeat
Thank you for your information and insights. I might prefer to go the food route first, now that I better understand the connection of choline to GB and liver health. I do eat a fair amount of eggs, but maybe I need more. I have some lecithin I can add in. I don't know my MTHFR status and probably wouldn't find out, but I did read CM's Choline Database page, which was also helpful. I also take a pre-methylated B complex. Having said all that, are you still suggesting it's more optimal to include TUDCA than not, especially if one experiences slow bowel transit time/constipation? Would that be an indication for TUDCA? I just don't know enough about the product to know if it's safe long-term, or if I would become dependent on it.

Maybe I'm not getting enough betaine- from CM's Choline page, I think he says get 1/2 intake of choline via betaine. Almost all the foods on the high-betaine list I do not eat, except beets and occasional spinach. I generally do not eat gluten grains. So maybe more betaine, or TMG as a supplement, and not overdo the choline portion?

@purple pill
Thanks for your feedback. After 3 days, did your body tell you you didn't need it more, or did you take it longer to know it just wasn't working?

Thank you, all.

Last edited:

purple pill

@purple pill
Thanks for your feedback. After 3 days, did your body tell you you didn't need it more, or did you take it longer to know it just wasn't working?
I carried on taking it for a week after hoping to carry on the benefits, it really helped getting things moving for those 3 days, felt well "flushed out", clearer minded, lighter etc quite similar the feeling I got from doing a colonic once before. But i never got those effects again even when upping the dose.

Kray

I carried on taking it for a week after hoping to carry on the benefits, it really helped getting things moving for those 3 days, felt well "flushed out", clearer minded, lighter etc quite similar the feeling I got from doing a colonic once before. But i never got those effects again even when upping the dose.
Great, that really helps. Did you find something that did work better, or change diet in some way that helped?

purple pill

Great, that really helps. Did you find something that did work better, or change diet in some way that helped?
I believe so.........I've slowly transitioned over to the the "low toxin" diet the past few weeks after much hesitancy (not sure why I was hesitant tbh, in practice it just feels like a "normal" diet, guess its more the theories i was averse to, but their sounding more logical by the day lol).

Upping Oats and legumes seem to be kickstarting my digestion again, definitely getting more "regular", less bloated feeling, even lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks without paying attention, thats after being stuck at a certain weight for over 6 months.

I'm pretty hooked on taking charcoal at night now as well, definitely helps, hard to explain but just feel cleaner. Dropping coffee was a big thing too, it just seemed to kill my appetite and keep me constantly wired. Drinking black tea now with milk and sugar as i'd probably drop dead if i went cold turkey on caffeine lol

Kray

I believe so.........I've slowly transitioned over to the the "low toxin" diet the past few weeks after much hesitancy (not sure why I was hesitant tbh, in practice it just feels like a "normal" diet, guess its more the theories i was averse to, but their sounding more logical by the day lol).
Ha- that sounds like me. But I think we have learned enough to intuit and shift as needed. I dropped BC foods, organ meats for starters to see what might happen.
Upping Oats and legumes seem to be kickstarting my digestion again, definitely getting more "regular", less bloated feeling, even lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks without paying attention, thats after being stuck at a certain weight for over 6 months.
That's encouraging to hear! I think there's something to this. I added in sprouted oats, some white rice, and occasional beans. More fiber and bulk to increase transit time. Are you doing oats and legumes daily?

I'm pretty hooked on taking charcoal at night now as well, definitely helps, hard to explain but just feel cleaner. Dropping coffee was a big thing too, it just seemed to kill my appetite and keep me constantly wired. Drinking black tea now with milk and sugar as i'd probably drop dead if i went cold turkey on caffeine lol 😆
Are you following a protocol with AC, or just testing it out?

I have upped my CS dose and that seems to be helping. For now, I've decided to pass on TUDCA. It's not the cheapest, and I'm not 100% about it.

Thank you for your help, and sharing. I'm glad you are feeling better.

purple pill

Ha- that sounds like me. But I think we have learned enough to intuit and shift as needed. I dropped BC foods, organ meats for starters to see what might happen.

That's encouraging to hear! I think there's something to this. I added in sprouted oats, some white rice, and occasional beans. More fiber and bulk to increase transit time. Are you doing oats and legumes daily?
Yeah definitely! Never tried sprouted oats before, do you buy them pre-sprouted and processed or sprout them yourself? I try to have one or the other daily, i had a big bowl of oatmeal for lunch today so i'll lay of the beans and just have white rice with some ground beef for dinner.
Are you following a protocol with AC, or just testing it out?

I have upped my CS dose and that seems to be helping. For now, I've decided to pass on TUDCA. It's not the cheapest, and I'm not 100% about it.
Yeah it's ridiculously expensive....i bought some cheaper ones to try once, opened them up to find they were filled with something other than tudca.....real tudca is unbelievably bitter, inside of these capsules were sweet...probably quite a few scammers out there on this one, but yeah either way probably a waste of money.

Just been winging it with the charcoal, I read a user on here (forgot who) takes 2 tablespoons every few days, I tried that first go and felt really good the next day, but now just keep topped up with a teaspoon a day. How much are you taking?
Thank you for your help, and sharing. I'm glad you are feeling better.
Thanks, you're more than welcome

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals