Successful protocol for viral/fungal issues and vertigo/tinnitus

Sefton10

I wanted to post this in case there is value in it for others experiencing similar issues.

In recent months I have been really struggling with what I suspected to be Ménière’s disease or Labyrinthitis. Symptoms were a constant feeling of vertigo/dizziness that would flare up in acute attacks every few days and result in severe vomiting and leave me bedridden. The hearing in my left ear was down to 10-20% and it constantly felt full, I was also experiencing high pitched ringing. I've also had a chronic sinus issue for months whereby I can't clear the mucus and this seemed to be affecting the dizziness too.

Despite following many of the usual nutritional ideas here for several months, and experiencing general health improvements initially, these specific symptoms were getting worse in the last 6 weeks or so. My research led me to consider the issue being viral in origin, especially since I had a brutal case of shingles around 18 months ago, which I put down to hypothyroidism as a result of chronic low carb diet, high intensity exercise and fasting (which was led me to Peat's work and this forum in the first place). Anyway, I have been experimenting with a range of different supplements that (touch wood) seem to have had a really positive effect in the last 7-10 days. This morning I can honestly say I feel the best I have in months/years - the hearing in my ear is back to around 80% with tinnitus much reduced if even noticeable, the feeling of dizziness has pretty much gone and my sinuses feel significantly clearer. My pulse has been over 70bpm following breakfast for the last 3 days, I know this is still a bit low for some people but usually it is in the low 60s at best, no matter what I eat. I have felt a distinct sense of motivation and an urge to interact with people, create and be productive, which I have not experienced for some time. My hands which are usually very cold feel warmer too, despite the temperature this morning on my walk being -11!

My working theory is that I have had a constant underlying/systemic viral infection (probably herpes based) since the shingles flare up, and this has been the source for lots of my issues/symptoms. I believe what I have been implementing has started to suppress the virus, allowing general metabolism and immunity to begin to recover.

My protocol is based on a range of different sources and reading both on this forum and elsewhere:

Recent protocol
- TUDCA: 500mg on an empty stomach with juice upon waking. Aim being to help clear out the liver and gut.
- Lysine: Pure powder. 3g per day split in 3 x 1g doses 20 minutes before meals. Aim being to raise the Lysine:Arginine ratio, which is said to be anti-viral.
- Monolaurin: Started low and slow then worked up to a dose of 3 x 3g per day taken with meals. I think this may have had the biggest impact.
- Glycine: 1.5g pure powder in coffee after breakfast and lunch.
- Rhubarb Root extract: 1 capsule before bed twice a week. I am using this as a poor man's aged cascara to again help clear the gut. I have tried activated charcoal a couple of time too but didn't notice the same impact.
- Gingko Biloba extract: 60mg with breakfast. Aim was to increase blood-flow to the ear.
- OregaResp: 1 x softgel with breakfast. Aim to target the sinuses with oregano oil and other spice oils.
- Magnesium Carbonate: 1g dissolved in apple cider vinegar 3 times per day before meals.
- Naturelo multivitamin: 1 capsule a day after breakfast. I know likely frowned upon here, but this brand is the best I've found for hitting sensible amounts of all the basics without pushing anything out of balance.

I also have some d-Limonene that I have not tried yet, as well as Vinpocetine. I don't like to add too much at once so I can try and see what impact different things have on symptoms.

A typical day of eating is attached, on occasion I rotate in the odd bit of veg in the form of soups too (i.e, leeks), as well as oysters/mussels etc. I've moved away from snacking and eating 6 times a day and have been sticking to three square meals a day with a balance between the usual vitamins/minerals as well as the macronutrients and starch, sugar etc. I feel greater satiety between meals this way and seem to benefit from giving digestion a rest and not obsessing over food constantly during the day.

I hope this information can be of use to others. I certainly don't profess to being any kind of expert on this and as ever it is an ongoing experiment, but the recent signs seem positive and I am hoping my improvements hold over the longer term. Best wishes to all for 2021.

Attachments

• Food.jpg
    Food.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 163

Mauritio

Interesting. It might as well have been an fungal or bacterial confection. Some of the stuff is very anti-fungal like monolaurin + oregano oil, which actually comes close to the caprylic acid + thymol combo for candida that I posted about a few days ago .

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Interesting. It might as well have been an fungal or bacterial confection. Some of the stuff is very anti-fungal like monolaurin + oregano oil, which actually comes close to the caprylic acid + thymol combo for candida that I posted about a few days ago .
Just had a look at that post now. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a fungal element to my symptoms too - fungal toenails and mild jock itch have been intermittent issues over the years. Hopefully I'm hitting that spect too with some of the stuff I've been using.

Mauritio

Just had a look at that post now. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a fungal element to my symptoms too - fungal toenails and mild jock itch have been intermittent issues over the years. Hopefully I'm hitting that spect too with some of the stuff I've been using.
Yep, If i were you I'd add caprylic acid . In my opinion its much stronger than monolaurin, which I also tried .

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Yep, If i were you I'd add caprylic acid . In my opinion its much stronger than monolaurin, which I also tried .
Have you noticed a bigger effect vs. the monolaurin? Just had a look and the NOW Foods brand look decent strength and relatively inexpensive.

Mauritio

Have you noticed a bigger effect vs. the monolaurin? Just had a look and the NOW Foods brand look decent strength and relatively inexpensive.
Yes ,maybe monolaurin is better for viruses, dont know.
Yes that's the one im using . It seems alright.

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

I wanted to post this in case there is value in it for others experiencing similar issues.

In recent months I have been really struggling with what I suspected to be Ménière’s disease or Labyrinthitis. Symptoms were a constant feeling of vertigo/dizziness that would flare up in acute attacks every few days and result in severe vomiting and leave me bedridden. The hearing in my left ear was down to 10-20% and it constantly felt full, I was also experiencing high pitched ringing. I've also had a chronic sinus issue for months whereby I can't clear the mucus and this seemed to be affecting the dizziness too.

Despite following many of the usual nutritional ideas here for several months, and experiencing general health improvements initially, these specific symptoms were getting worse in the last 6 weeks or so. My research led me to consider the issue being viral in origin, especially since I had a brutal case of shingles around 18 months ago, which I put down to hypothyroidism as a result of chronic low carb diet, high intensity exercise and fasting (which was led me to Peat's work and this forum in the first place). Anyway, I have been experimenting with a range of different supplements that (touch wood) seem to have had a really positive effect in the last 7-10 days. This morning I can honestly say I feel the best I have in months/years - the hearing in my ear is back to around 80% with tinnitus much reduced if even noticeable, the feeling of dizziness has pretty much gone and my sinuses feel significantly clearer. My pulse has been over 70bpm following breakfast for the last 3 days, I know this is still a bit low for some people but usually it is in the low 60s at best, no matter what I eat. I have felt a distinct sense of motivation and an urge to interact with people, create and be productive, which I have not experienced for some time. My hands which are usually very cold feel warmer too, despite the temperature this morning on my walk being -11!

My working theory is that I have had a constant underlying/systemic viral infection (probably herpes based) since the shingles flare up, and this has been the source for lots of my issues/symptoms. I believe what I have been implementing has started to suppress the virus, allowing general metabolism and immunity to begin to recover.

My protocol is based on a range of different sources and reading both on this forum and elsewhere:

Recent protocol
- TUDCA: 500mg on an empty stomach with juice upon waking. Aim being to help clear out the liver and gut.
- Lysine: Pure powder. 3g per day split in 3 x 1g doses 20 minutes before meals. Aim being to raise the Lysine:Arginine ratio, which is said to be anti-viral.
- Monolaurin: Started low and slow then worked up to a dose of 3 x 3g per day taken with meals. I think this may have had the biggest impact.
- Glycine: 1.5g pure powder in coffee after breakfast and lunch.
- Rhubarb Root extract: 1 capsule before bed twice a week. I am using this as a poor man's aged cascara to again help clear the gut. I have tried activated charcoal a couple of time too but didn't notice the same impact.
- Gingko Biloba extract: 60mg with breakfast. Aim was to increase blood-flow to the ear.
- OregaResp: 1 x softgel with breakfast. Aim to target the sinuses with oregano oil and other spice oils.
- Magnesium Carbonate: 1g dissolved in apple cider vinegar 3 times per day before meals.
- Naturelo multivitamin: 1 capsule a day after breakfast. I know likely frowned upon here, but this brand is the best I've found for hitting sensible amounts of all the basics without pushing anything out of balance.

I also have some d-Limonene that I have not tried yet, as well as Vinpocetine. I don't like to add too much at once so I can try and see what impact different things have on symptoms.

A typical day of eating is attached, on occasion I rotate in the odd bit of veg in the form of soups too (i.e, leeks), as well as oysters/mussels etc. I've moved away from snacking and eating 6 times a day and have been sticking to three square meals a day with a balance between the usual vitamins/minerals as well as the macronutrients and starch, sugar etc. I feel greater satiety between meals this way and seem to benefit from giving digestion a rest and not obsessing over food constantly during the day.

I hope this information can be of use to others. I certainly don't profess to being any kind of expert on this and as ever it is an ongoing experiment, but the recent signs seem positive and I am hoping my improvements hold over the longer term. Best wishes to all for 2021.
UPDATE: Back to square one.

After feeling so good recently, I’ve gradually felt symptoms worsening this week - dizziness, sinus congestion, tinnitus in left ear with almost total loss of hearing. I said to my wife on Wednesday I’ll be amazed if I don’t have another full on “attack” coming. Low and behold, the full on vertigo with nausea and vomiting kicked in this morning. I had to stay in bed until after lunch for it to subside. Still dizzy now when I move around but the nausea has subsided. It matches the symptoms of Meniere’s to a tee.

Really at a loss as to what triggers it and find it so debilitating. The only think I can think is I did some weightlifting earlier in the week, am I that hypothyroid that just a little intense exercise can lay me that low? I’ve also had some dates again for the first time in a while and have been eating quite a lot of Parmesan, not sure if histamine could be playing a role, or if it’s starches causing endotoxins/serotonin issues.

I have some cyproheptadine and methylene blue that I have not used but got as a COVID prevention/treatment if needed. Thinking about trying those in small doses. Other than that, it’s getting to the point where I haven’t got a clue what to eat or take for the best - very frustrating.

dfspcc20

After feeling so good recently, I’ve gradually felt symptoms worsening this week - dizziness, sinus congestion, tinnitus in left ear with almost total loss of hearing. I said to my wife on Wednesday I’ll be amazed if I don’t have another full on “attack” coming. Low and behold, the full on vertigo with nausea and vomiting kicked in this morning. I had to stay in bed until after lunch for it to subside. Still dizzy now when I move around but the nausea has subsided. It matches the symptoms of Meniere’s to a tee.

Really at a loss as to what triggers it and find it so debilitating. The only think I can think is I did some weightlifting earlier in the week, am I that hypothyroid that just a little intense exercise can lay me that low? I’ve also had some dates again for the first time in a while and have been eating quite a lot of Parmesan, not sure if histamine could be playing a role, or if it’s starches causing endotoxins/serotonin issues.

I have some cyproheptadine and methylene blue that I have not used but got as a COVID prevention/treatment if needed. Thinking about trying those in small doses. Other than that, it’s getting to the point where I haven’t got a clue what to eat or take for the best - very frustrating.

Have you every had you ears checked for wax buildup?
I had intermittent hearing loss in my left ear a few years ago. Eventually had them checked and the Dr said the left was completely blocked. Had it irrigated and they flushed out a chunk about as big as the tip of my index finger.
I may be due for that again soon, as I'm starting to feel some "fullness" in that ear again. I think Peat did say overproduction of earwax can be driven by hypothyroid and estrogen.

And FWIW, I asked Peat about Meniere's back in 2015 for my mom. Of course she never took the advice, esp. since most Doctors recommend an extremely low sodium diet for Meniere's.

"Hypothyroidism leads to increased estrogen and nitric oxide, and a decreased serum osmolarity (increased dilution of body fluids) and hyponatremia. Salt, magnesium, calcium, aspirin, antihistamine, progesterone, tetracycline (or minocycline, doxycycline) and thyroid can correct the fluid imbalance."

Along with several references if you're interested.

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Have you every had you ears checked for wax buildup?
I had intermittent hearing loss in my left ear a few years ago. Eventually had them checked and the Dr said the left was completely blocked. Had it irrigated and they flushed out a chunk about as big as the tip of my index finger.
I may be due for that again soon, as I'm starting to feel some "fullness" in that ear again. I think Peat did say overproduction of earwax can be driven by hypothyroid and estrogen.

And FWIW, I asked Peat about Meniere's back in 2015 for my mom. Of course she never took the advice, esp. since most Doctors recommend an extremely low sodium diet for Meniere's.

"Hypothyroidism leads to increased estrogen and nitric oxide, and a decreased serum osmolarity (increased dilution of body fluids) and hyponatremia. Salt, magnesium, calcium, aspirin, antihistamine, progesterone, tetracycline (or minocycline, doxycycline) and thyroid can correct the fluid imbalance."

Along with several references if you're interested.
Thanks for the reply. Ironically, I was booked in at a local ear/hearing clinic the last time I had an attack like today and had to cancel the appointment - I wanted them to check for wax etc. I did have a wax build up issue maybe 6 years ago that I sorted with Otex ear drops, I remembered from that time the drops would fizz in the ear as soon as they contacted any wax so I tried some over 3 or 4 days a few weeks ago, zero fizzing at all. It definitely feels more linked to a sinus issue, but I could be wrong.

Did your mom ever solve her Meniere’s if you don’t mind me asking? Low salt is definitely the number 1 recommendation I’ve seen for it, as well as whatever you do don’t take aspirin! Everything seems to just focus on the symptoms as opposed to the root cause. I’m hoping low dose cypro and MB might reduce serotonin and NO, maybe estrogen too, so will see if that has any effect.

I would be interested in the refs you mention, thank you.

dfspcc20

Thanks for the reply. Ironically, I was booked in at a local ear/hearing clinic the last time I had an attack like today and had to cancel the appointment - I wanted them to check for wax etc. I did have a wax build up issue maybe 6 years ago that I sorted with Otex ear drops, I remembered from that time the drops would fizz in the ear as soon as they contacted any wax so I tried some over 3 or 4 days a few weeks ago, zero fizzing at all. It definitely feels more linked to a sinus issue, but I could be wrong.

Did your mom ever solve her Meniere’s if you don’t mind me asking? Low salt is definitely the number 1 recommendation I’ve seen for it, as well as whatever you do don’t take aspirin! Everything seems to just focus on the symptoms as opposed to the root cause. I’m hoping low dose cypro and MB might reduce serotonin and NO, maybe estrogen too, so will see if that has any effect.

I would be interested in the refs you mention, thank you.

No, she did not solve it. She's done basically all the standard stuff her doctors have told her for it:

- ultra-low sodium (which I think caused her lots of other issues long-term, like hyperaldosteronism and insomnia, but she's in denial)
- Epley maneuver
- Gentamicin injections in her ear (which resolve the bad spells, but this seems like a terrible idea in general)
- surgery
- valium (which she gets relief from, but obviously a bad idea long-term)

Here are the references Peat provided. Again, she's been pretty much non-receptive to ideas that don't come from one of her doctors.

Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004 Feb;130(2):226-8.
Prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in patients with Ménière's disease.
Brenner M(1), Hoistad DL, Hain TC.
(1)Department of Otolaryngology, Washington University, St Louis, MO, USA.
OBJECTIVE: To estimate the prevalence of hypothyroidism in a population of
patients with Ménière's disease (MD).
DESIGN: Retrospective case-control study comparing the use of thyroid hormone
supplements between patients with MD and controls.
SETTING: Outpatient neurology clinic specializing in the management of patients
experiencing dizziness.
PATIENTS: Fifty patients who met the 1995 American Academy of Otolaryngology
criteria for MD and 50 controls matched for age and sex also experiencing
dizziness.
RESULTS: The 50 patients who met the criteria for MD were identified from a
database of more than 2000 patients with dizziness seen over a 5-year period. Of
these, 16 (32%) were taking thyroid hormone supplements in contrast to 2 (4%) of
the 50 matched controls (P<.001). The median age of the patients with MD was 60
years, and 5 (19%) of the 26 patients younger than 60 years were taking thyroid
hormone supplements, compared with 11 (46%) of 24 patients 60 years or older
(P<.05). There were no statistically significant differences in the severity of
hearing loss, pattern of hearing loss, or prevalence of bilateral hearing loss
between patients with MD who were taking thyroid hormone supplements and patients
with MD who were not.
CONCLUSION: Ménière's disease is associated with corrected hypothyroidism.

ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 1997 Sep-Oct;59(5):292-5.
The possible effect of pregnancy on Ménière's disease.
Uchide K(1), Suzuki N, Takiguchi T, Terada S, Inoue M.
(1)Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, Kanazawa
University, Japan.
There are few reports on the course of Ménière's disease during pregnancy. We
report here the clinical course of Ménière's disease before, during and after
pregnancy and discuss the possible effect of pregnancy on Ménière's disease and
the treatment of Ménière's disease during pregnancy. In the present case, the
vertigo attacks increased up to 10 times per month during early pregnancy, when
the serum osmolality was significantly below normal at 268 mosm/kg.
As the
pregnancy proceeded, the serum osmolality normalized and the vertigo attacks
decreased in frequency. The vertigo attacks were treated by oral isosorbide and
intramuscular injection of low-dose diazepam. The coincidence of the decline in
osmolality with the increase in vertigo attacks points to serum osmolality as a
possible factor in the effect of pregnancy on Ménière's disease.

Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2010 Oct;43(5):1029-40.
Premenstrual exacerbation of Meniere's disease revisited.
Andrews JC(1), Honrubia V.
(1)Department of Surgery, Northridge Hospital Medical Center, 18350 Roscoe
Boulevard, #518, Northridge, CA 91325, USA. [email protected]
Some women with Meniere disease demonstrate exacerbation of symptoms during the
premenstrual period. It is believed that the hormonal stress of the premenstrual
period acts on the volatile inner ear with Meniere disease to result in
dysfunction. Migraine, Meniere disease, and the premenstrual period may be a
complex interaction leading to exacerbation of symptoms. Having patients maintain
a daily calendar of symptoms, diet, and menses can be helpful in understanding
the disease as well as instigating treatment monitoring. Most patients can be
effectively managed with dietary sodium restriction and a loop diuretic.
Copyright 2010. Published by Elsevier Inc.

Nurs Res. 2001 Sep-Oct;50(5):286-92.
Changes in Ménière's disease responses as a function of the menstrual cycle.
Morse GG (1), House JW.
(1)Division of Nursing, California State University, Dominguez Hills 90747, USA.
[email protected]
BACKGROUND: Ménière's disease is a complex, progressive disorder of the inner ear
evidenced by characteristic responses including vertigo, hearing loss, and
tinnitus. Though considered equally common across sexes, several recent studies
describe women's increasing reports of symptom exacerbation during the
perimenstruum. Empirical evidence proving this relationship is limited with no
study exploring women's symptom reports using appropriate methodological
procedures for menstrual cycle research.
OBJECTIVES: To establish the relationship between menstrual cycle phases and
Ménière's disease responses. Specific aims included comparison of Ménière's
disease responses between menstruant women and men (control group) and
examination of women's Ménière's disease responses and their relationship to
their diverse menstrual symptom patterns.
METHODS: Using a longitudinal, descriptive design, 12 men and 13 women were
recruited via Internet and participated in daily data collection procedures over
three study phases.
RESULTS: Results showed that Ménière's disease responses were similar for men and
women participants. Women with premenstrual magnification patterns did not vary
with cycle phases. However, vertigo (P < .05) did decrease significantly
postmenses for women with premenstrual syndrome patterns.

CONCLUSIONS: Results from this study provide evidence that a unique relationship
does exist between the menstrual cycle and Ménière's disease responses for some
women. Knowledge gained from this study is beneficial in identifying the
importance of appropriate clinical assessment methods of menstruant women with
Ménière's disease. Recommendations include further research with larger samples
and testing of different symptom management strategies for women of different
perimenstrual symptom patterns.

Hear Res. 2000 May;143(1-2):23-8.
Expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS/NOS II) in the hydropic
cochlea of guinea pigs.
Michel O(1), Hess A, Su J, Bloch W, Stennert E, Addicks K.
(1)Department of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, University of Cologne,
Joseph-Stelzmann-Str. 9, 50924, Cologne, Germany. [email protected]
Immunohistochemical investigations of the guinea pig cochlea, using a specific
antibody to the inducible isoform of NO synthase (iNOS/NOS II), have been
performed 3 weeks after closure of the right endolymphatic duct (n=7).
Endolymphatic hydrops, the morphological substrate of Meniere's disease, became
evident by distension of the Reissner's membrane. iNOS expression could be noted
in endothelium, spiral ganglion cells, in nerve fibers, in supporting cells of
the organ of Corti and cells of the spiral ligament. Temporal bones of
non-operated controls (n=6) as well as of sham-operated animals (n=3) did not
show structures positive to iNOS. These findings imply that iNOS-generated NO
could be involved in the pathophysiology of cochlear dysfunction in Meniere's
disease.

Neurosci Lett. 1999 Apr 2;264(1-3):145-8.
Expression of inducible nitric oxide-synthase in the vestibular system of
hydropic guinea pigs.
Hess A(1), Bloch W, Su J, Stennert E, Addicks K, Michel O.
(1)Department of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, University of Cologne, Germany.
[email protected]
Immunohistochemical investigations of the guinea pig vestibular system, using a
specific antibody to the inducible isoform of NO-synthase (iNOS/NOS II), have
been performed 3 weeks after surgical closure of the right endolymphatic duct (n
= 7). Endolymphatic hydrops (ELH) of the right temporal bone became evident by
excavation of the Reissner's membrane in all seven animals. Those animals
revealed iNOS-expression in ganglion cells, in the wall of blood vessels and in
nerve fibers of the right vestibular system, while the corresponding left
temporal bones and temporal bones of non-operated controls (n = 6) as well as of
sham-operated animals (n = 3) did not show any iNOS-positive structures.
iNOS-generated NO could be involved in the pathophysiology of vestibular
dysfunction in Meniere's disease.

Vestn Otorinolaringol. 1973 Mar-Apr;35(2):18-21.
[Treatment of Méniére's disease, otogenic vestibulopathies and motion sickness by
the method of rectal administration of sodium bicarbonate suppositories].
[Article in Russian]
Potapov II, Volkov IuN, Barnatskiĭ VN, Kuznetsov AG, Aslamazova VI.

Gustav3Y

Have you tried specific medication for it, like Betahistine?
Or Arlevert (cinnarizine & dimenhydrinate)

I have dizzines and floating sensation for 4 months now, it seems it gets aggravated by pasta+sourcream+parmigiano dishes I have been eating. It took me a while to realize how this aggravates it to the point I have to stay in bed.
Also mildly inflamed sinuses on IMR, basically all sinuses.

Mine appeared after an infected tooth was pulled out, right after 48hours after that I felt like I was in train for several hours, siting on chair felt like there is a movement.

Last edited:
OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Have you tried specific medication for it, like Betahistine?
Or Arlevert (cinnarizine & dimenhydrinate)

I have dizzines and floating sensation for 4 months now, it seems it gets aggravated by pasta+sourcream+parmigiano dishes I have been eating. It took me a while to realize how this aggravates it to the point I have to stay in bed.
Also mildly inflamed sinuses on IMR, basically all sinuses.

Mine appeared after an infected tooth was pulled out, right after 48hours after that I felt like I was in train for several hours, siting on chair felt like there is a movement.
I haven't tried any specific medication. Took 0.5mg of Cyproheptadine for the first time with dinner yesterday and 1 drop of methylene blue before bed, woke up at 2.30am with rumbling stomach and had a stomach ache this morning for a couple of hours. Low-level dizziness today and sinuses feel full.

To be honest I think I probably need to take a step back from all the different supplements I've been taking and start from scratch. It's pretty much at a point now where if something did improve I'd be hard pressed to work out what had caused the improvement. I think I need to accept I am going to have to take a good 4-6 weeks off any remotely intense exercise too as that seems to be a recurring trap I fall into that triggers hypothyroid issues.

What do you think is triggering it for you - the wheat in the pasta perhaps or the dairy? I tried a month without any dairy thinking that might be the cause of the sinus issues but nothing changed. I do suspect Parmigiano might have a histamine trigger though.

@Sefton10 Have you tried Head & Shoulders Classic clean shampoo for the jock itch, not kidding it contains Piroctone Olamine, the same ingredient in Athletes Foot powder. It takes about a week of using it in the shower, leave it on for 8-10 minutes :):

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

@Sefton10 Have you tried Head & Shoulders Classic clean shampoo for the jock itch, not kidding it contains Piroctone Olamine, the same ingredient in Athletes Foot powder. It takes about a week of using it in the shower, leave it on for 8-10 minutes :):
:D No never tried it, but haven't had the need for a while. I find a little bit of Canestan cream will sort jock itch out overnight if it ever does flare up.

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Came across this explanation for tinnitus in a post I saw quoted on another thread, it definitely matches my experience with exercise and is in line with Peat's suggestion that tinnitus is essentially a result of hypothyroidism and dysfunctional metabolic function. Maybe Meniere's/vertigo is just a more extreme result of this.

1611482980018.png

I'm going to make up a basic B-Complex in line with the Idealabs and Health Natura versions/rations (B1, B2, B3, B6, B7) and use the TPP version of B1.

Original post it's from: Thiamine Pyrophosphate (TPP) Stopped My Tinnitus!

Tarmander

To be honest I think I probably need to take a step back from all the different supplements I've been taking and start from scratch.
This is the correct approach.

When I read your first post I thought, "man he is throwing the kitchen sink at this thing. One of those is going to mess him up"

I think you need to get really targeted with what was working and what was not working. I am guessing the oregano was a crucial player. I just have a hunch that Neem may be worth experimenting with. It can drastically affect the immune system, bacteria, the microbiome, etc. Might be good, might be bad.

I would also leave off on the weight lifting until you haven't had an attack for a few months just in case, but I am guessing you know that now.

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

This is the correct approach.

When I read your first post I thought, "man he is throwing the kitchen sink at this thing. One of those is going to mess him up"

I think you need to get really targeted with what was working and what was not working. I am guessing the oregano was a crucial player. I just have a hunch that Neem may be worth experimenting with. It can drastically affect the immune system, bacteria, the microbiome, etc. Might be good, might be bad.

I would also leave off on the weight lifting until you haven't had an attack for a few months just in case, but I am guessing you know that now.
Thank you @Tarmander. I even got a bit giddy in my post earlier about the B Complex and had to check myself. I've just ordered a good B1 TPP and I will implement that slowly for now - my B1 is lower than the other B Vits I'm getting in comparison when I put a recent day into Cronometer to check, I wasn't that much over the RDA so that would make sense I could have a bit of a deficiency there.

I'm also going to take out some foods that could be problematic for a while like Parmesan, Dried Fruits etc. I feel like a simpler more stripped back diet will help me get a proper handle on the effect of different foods too. I've been down some rabbit holes on hystamine and salicylates that a lot of people link to tinnitus/vertigo etc.

I agree on the weight lifting, it has been my achilles heel for years now and probably the one thing I've never truly left alone despite any nutritional/supplemental interventions. If anything it is THE one common denominator and I suspect it could be having/have had by far the biggest negative health impact of all (ironically), but I've continually kidded myself into doing it. It's likely each workout has gradually dug me a little deeper into the hole each time and that has just compounded over the years to where I am now. No amount of supplementation can remedy that so a complete rest is needed.

PS I enjoy your podcast and I like your style on the forum too. You often provide a good counterpoint and a voice of reason when things get a bit too dogmatic.

Tarmander

Thank you @Tarmander. I even got a bit giddy in my post earlier about the B Complex and had to check myself. I've just ordered a good B1 TPP and I will implement that slowly for now - my B1 is lower than the other B Vits I'm getting in comparison when I put a recent day into Cronometer to check, I wasn't that much over the RDA so that would make sense I could have a bit of a deficiency there.

I'm also going to take out some foods that could be problematic for a while like Parmesan, Dried Fruits etc. I feel like a simpler more stripped back diet will help me get a proper handle on the effect of different foods too. I've been down some rabbit holes on hystamine and salicylates that a lot of people link to tinnitus/vertigo etc.

I agree on the weight lifting, it has been my achilles heel for years now and probably the one thing I've never truly left alone despite any nutritional/supplemental interventions. If anything it is THE one common denominator and I suspect it could be having/have had by far the biggest negative health impact of all (ironically), but I've continually kidded myself into doing it. It's likely each workout has gradually dug me a little deeper into the hole each time and that has just compounded over the years to where I am now. No amount of supplementation can remedy that so a complete rest is needed.

PS I enjoy your podcast and I like your style on the forum too. You often provide a good counterpoint and a voice of reason when things get a bit too dogmatic.
appreciate that!

Keep digging, I think you are on the right trail. Once you find that first bottleneck, it'll just start getting better and better

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

ANOTHER UPDATE: 2nd attack in 4 days.

The low-level dizziness didn’t subside over the weekend and I felt really quite down, which I think me have been down to the cyproheptadine I’d taken on Friday. I slept well last night but didn’t feel great when I got up. After breakfast I was sitting down reading when it literally felt like someone had forcibly grabbed my brain and was turning it over in my head, like a somersault sensation. The vertigo kicked in from there and I had to lie down immediately. From that point the only relief is to sleep. After a 2 hour nap it had subsided a little and I can sit up but the dizziness is still very pronounced.

My sinus felt very clogged at the onset but blowing my nose produced nothing, afterwards my sinus felt like it was loosening or depressurising a little and some thick mucus came out when blowing. There’s a definite sinus connection with this whole thing, I don’t know if it’s some sort of fungal infection or what.

One positive this time was there was very little nausea and I didn’t need to vomit. Still, it’s becoming a real drag as I had to rearrange some work commitments for this afternoon at short notice. I’m lucky I can work from home due to the current lockdown otherwise I’d be screwed at the moment, I honestly dread the thought of an attack while away from home. This is the first time I’ve had attacks so close together too, the others have had at least a couple of weeks between them.

Gustav3Y

We also have the Eustachian tube that connect the ear and the nose.
Then we also have more than the commonly know sinuses (frontal and maxillary) we have the sphenoid and ethimoid sinuses which I have been told that these could cause dizziness if inflamed.
Of course it is hard to establishing a connection with those as we can with the external ear or the frontal or maxillary sinuses which often when inflamed or infected we can feel them rather easily.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals