Research Rant: Uridine, Choline, and the gallbladder

ddjd

I'm sharing this interesting post from the ray peat Facebook group. I'm not sure if Allan is on the forum, but couldn't find it discussed here yet....

Research Rant: Uridine, Choline, and the gallbladder
I was reading about haidut's mitolipin, which helps cardiolipin - which someone described as "the nuclear codes to the mitochondria." seems like his supp can also completely abate PUFA toxicity. Then, I had been reading about uridine because of my gilberts syndrome/bilirubin issue. In passing I read that uridine increases phosphatidylcholine (which mitolipin is PC with a saturated fat). then I read a study that CDP choline can restore cardiolipin levels (Lipid alterations in transient forebrain ischemia: possible new mechanisms of CDP-choline neuroprotection - PubMed) (thought its saturation could still be an issue due to accumulated PUFA).

Now the best part is that I have been struggling with weight gain, water retention, depression - huge estrogen issues/newbie peatarian issues. These 'new peatarian issues' I believe are tied to the sudden addition of fructose to the diet. Fructose is nothing short of magical. Generalization aside I think this quote does a good job of explaining:

"Firstly, the inevitable rise in triglycerides when eating Fructose is something that needs to be explained. I have stated before that I view this as Fructose causing the liver to release stored fat, and not because of De-novo Lipogenesis from Fructose" -- Natalie Zimmerman: "The Woefully Misguided War On Carbohydrates"

It seems along with its other numerous benefits that fructose forces the liver to 'eject' everything that has accumulated from the previous low metabolic state (see: bears post-hibernation). This is great! However, there is no biological free lunch and one system becoming extremely energetic before others could cause issues - it seems this happens quite frequently in the body, as energy isnt always distrubuted equally especially in stress. This disbalance I'm talking about here is Cholestasis - bile unable to flow from its origin in the liver out through the gallbladder and into the intestine.

Back to choline, choline treats Cholestasis. Given the prevalence of cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal surgery) in America (~600,000 per year), I'd say its pretty common to have gallbladder issues. TUDCA (a bile salt of taurine) also helps stagnated bile every well - will be experimenting with this soon.

The results (with choline and uridine): my clothes fit me again, I don't feel like a bloated/distended water balloon anymore. My depression has lessened 10 fold. Not out of the woods yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm headed in the right direction.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals