Why are potatoes better than sweet potatoes?

FredSonoma

Why are boiled potatoes better than sweet potatoes / yams / Japanese purple sweet potato / yucca / other dense starchy tubers?

Boiled? Any of those you listed can be boiled. Do you mean white/russet? Peat's view is that the beta carotene from SP in excessive amounts can be anti-thyroid. SP is the highest source of BC so if you consume them often it's something to be aware of. You get a little BC from the raw carrot if you're doing that daily as Peat recommends, but it's not enough BC to worry about.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Westside PUFAs said:
Boiled? Any of those you listed can be boiled. Do you mean white/russet? Peat's view is that the beta carotene from SP in excessive amounts can be anti-thyroid. SP is the highest source of BC so if you consume them often it's something to be aware of. You get a little BC from the raw carrot if you're doing that daily as Peat recommends, but it's not enough BC to worry about.

I thought beta carotene is Vitamin A - doesn't Peat talk about how Vitamin A is really important?

Is there anything about the starch of a potato that's safer than other tubers?

FredSonoma said:
I thought beta carotene is Vitamin A - doesn't Peat talk about how Vitamin A is really important?

I don't mean to sound rude or mean but this is basic nutrition stuff that you should know, especially if you've found Ray Peat. :D

BC is not vitamin A. Retinol is the true form of vitamin A. BC is a precursor. Some say it's best to get real preformed vitamin A, retinol, from egg yolks and liver instead of hoping that you are converting some of your BC into VA.

Here is a good book on the basics of nutrients as we understand them currently. I don't agree with everything said in this book but again, it's good for learning the basics of each vitamin and mineral:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Real-Vitamin- ... 158333274X

FredSonoma said:

If you're interested in starch, there are plenty of threads already dedicated to it, many of which I make my arguments for starch:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5079&start=15

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6876

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6718

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6571

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5859

Vinero

I think potatoes and orange juice are the ultimate carb sources. Potatoes are great for getting more salt and carbs and less fluid. I have only seen improved digestion and higher body temperature from adding a ton of starch to my diet lately. I don't think starches increase endotoxin or cause blood sugar issues like ray says.
If this good response to starches continues I might change my diet to include starch.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Westside PUFAs said:
FredSonoma said:

I don't mean to sound rude or mean but this is basic nutrition stuff that you should know, especially if you've found Ray Peat. :D

BC is not vitamin A. Retinol is the true form of vitamin A. BC is a pre-cursor. Some say it's best to get real preformed vitamin A, retinol, from egg yolks and liver instead of hoping that you are converting some of your BC into VA.

Here is a good book on the basics of nutrients as we understand them currently. I don't agree with everything said in this book but again, it's good for learning the basics of each vitamin and mineral:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Real-Vitamin- ... 158333274X

FredSonoma said:

If you're interested in starch, there are plenty of threads already dedicated to it, many of which I make my arguments for starch:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5079&start=15

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6876

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6718

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6571

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5859

No worries thank you for the information! I will read up now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals