beta carotene in white flesh japanese sweet potato

Wondering if anyone new how much carotene was in one of these japanese sweet potatoes.
Given they are not orange, you would think they would not have much.

Were there any other reasons to avoid?

narouz

embs2001 said:
Wondering if anyone new how much carotene was in one of these japanese sweet potatoes.
Given they are not orange, you would think they would not have much.

Were there any other reasons to avoid?

I am nominating this for Most Obscure Peat Question Award. :D

OP
E
Many avoid sweet potatoes because of carotene. If white sweet potatoes were low in carotene, then the Japanese sweet potato sounds like a good starch along with regular potatoes.

Btw a Japanese sweet potato is easy to find at my local whole foods. Not sure if that is what you thought was obscure. They taste awesome.

Mittir

I once considered that "sweet potato"= Chinese Yam=Korean Yam= Japanese Yam
= Burmese Yam as a substitute of regular white potatoes. Yams and orange sweet
potatoes are from different families. RP has mentioned two problems in orange sweet potatoes, one is beta carotene inhibiting digestion of starch and fiber in sweet
potato causing gas. I read some stuffs on real sweet potato and those have lots of problematic things. One of the conclusion was that it is the undigested starch in sweet potato causing gas more than the fiber. Since Yam's has little beta carotene then it is very
likely that it is better digested than Sweet potato. Another confusing part is that spinach is high in beta carotene but it is green, not yellow. I get digestion problem from regular white potato and Japanese Yam. It is really bad with Yam. I know regular potato and sweet potato both are high in pectin, and i am guessing Yam is also high in pectin too. If you do not have any digestion issue then Japanese Yam should not be a problem. One major advantage of white potato is that we know for sure that it has a lot of Keto Acids.
Sweet potatoes are known to be a goitrogen, not sure about Yam. I think there is a issue
of oxalate in Japanese Yam.

Nutrition Profile of Sweet potato and Yam
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/veg ... cts/2667/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/veg ... cts/2725/2

dukez07

I suppose carrots aren't so bad for beta carotene absorbtion because we are eating them raw? Isn't it the cooking process which enhances beta carotene absorbtion? Another reason why sweet potatoes are not all that healthy (along with the starch).

Spokey

Not much beta carotene in them but Japanese Yams have a reputation for being a bit gassy.

NooMoahk

When I chew sweet potato, be it a white japanese or common orange sweet potato, it never fully dissolves like a baked regular potato. I've tried baking different sizes for hours at 500 degrees but I can't make enough saliva to melt that potato in my mouth. This leads me to believe that the starch is somehow bound up in the fiber.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals