Tips For Cooking Sweet Potatoes

GeoX

Sweet potatoes including Japanese are high in oxalates especially in the skin. Peel them, quarter them to increase surface area, and boil them til firm/soft. Throw out the water, place them in a pan and bake them with your favorite good fat.

Barry

How long do you do them in the instant pot? Foil wrapped or not? Steam basket and a little water?

I use the standard setting for 24 minutes, no foil. I use the basket and put in 1 cup of water. The key though is that big sweet potatoes won't cook evenly in the middle so they will need to be cut in half.

mmartian

@YamnayaMommy What temp do you cook your sweet potatoes at in the oven?

Simplest way is just to wrap in foil and put in a over for about an hour, and then leave in still hot but turned off oven for a few mod hours.

They get creamy and special. The purple and white sweet potatoes are like eating birthday cake. My seven-month-old baby stuffs his face with them.

But it’s only a convenient method if you’re home and around and can do largely unattended “background” cooking in advance.

YamnayaMommy

400 degrees Fahrenheit, but the process is very forgiving. If you have oven going for something else at a higher or lower temp, you can throw them in and they will still come out fine.

Jing

Simplest way is just to wrap in foil and put in a over for about an hour, and then leave in still hot but turned off oven for a few mod hours.

They get creamy and special. The purple and white sweet potatoes are like eating birthday cake. My seven-month-old baby stuffs his face with them.

But it’s only a convenient method if you’re home and around and can do largely unattended “background” cooking in advance.
You peel or not before wrapping them?

YamnayaMommy

No, don’t peel them. Leave them “in their jackets” and enjoy how easily the peels come off once they’re cooked.