Jackfruit - The Protein Surprise!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I’ll be impressed if they carry pawpaw there. It’s hard to find, at least it is for me, and I’m in an area where it grows wild. I order it online, but when I can buy property near the coast and start my fruit forest, it’s one of the first I’ll be planting. That and pink muscat/muscatel grapes. I had my first muscats this year and I’m in love with that fruit. lol It has this really pretty rosy blush to it and a sweet, light floral taste.

Oh, wonderful! Yes, it’s wild to think such a tropical-like fruit is native to this area. The pawpaws I’ve tried have all been really sweet so they must have been the sweeter varieties—I know that there are a couple that aren’t that sweet. May I ask, have you ever had a jungle durian? If so, did you like it? And do you find you enjoy tropical fruit overall?

Oh, and Rinse, Miami fruit sells a lot of tropicals like the chempejack that thetaflow mentioned:

I am excited for more exotic fruits! Thanks for the link Jennifer! I will check it out: )

Jennifer

You’re welcome, @Rinse & rePeat! Just in case you missed it, I edited my post to say that I’m not sure if Miami Fruit can sell to Cali residents.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I forgot, I also made a beef teriyaki stir-fry with the canned young jackfruit!

Attachments

• 20210619_173129.jpg
    20210619_173129.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 15

thetaflow

fruit forest,
Haha that's how you know you've ever truly been fruitarian. A dream so many of us have. Maybe add a few goats to roam around :)
pink muscat/muscatel grapes.
My favourite as well!
May I ask, have you ever had a jungle durian?
Have never had jungle durian, I know Lindsay does tours with stuff like that. To my understanding they can often lack sweetness and have a very low pulp to seed ratio, but still cool none-the-less - would feel very primal. I've tried several varieties in Thailand, but also stayed at Bao Sheng Durian Farm for a week in Malaysia - and that was truly one of a kind experience - eating so many freshly-dropped varieties.
do you find you enjoy tropical fruit overall
I think (sub)tropical fruit is usually a staple - bananas, dates, papaya, ataulfo mangoes, citrus etc. are easy to get, and provide great calories year-round. When in season and/or possible to get good quality, I love stone fruit, melons etc., but all these often lack consistency and often require tons of pesticides to grow. Would love to have organic cherries year-round, but it's far from realistic lol. Nothing like wild foraging though - really something special in that feeling - enjoying mulberries and black/red raspberries right now, and expecting a very abundant apple season too.
Miami fruit
Can vouch for these guys - they know what high quality fruit is and are lovely people overall.

Jennifer

Haha that's how you know you've ever truly been fruitarian. A dream so many of us have. Maybe add a few goats to roam around :)

Haha! So true! You know you've truly been a peatarian when that dream includes a dairy herd. lol Mine includes a few rescued miniature zebu and hens.

Have never had jungle durian, I know Lindsay does tours with stuff like that. To my understanding they can often lack sweetness and have a very low pulp to seed ratio, but still cool none-the-less - would feel very primal. I've tried several varieties in Thailand, but also stayed at Bao Sheng Durian Farm for a week in Malaysia - and that was truly one of a kind experience - eating so many freshly-dropped varieties.

Ah…so you have been to Bao Sheng Durian Farm. I was going to ask you if you had, given your experience with durian. By chance, have you met Grant Campbell? I recall him volunteering at BSDF and hosting retreats there. I was curious about the jungle durian because one of the varieties that was featured on a YouTube channel (Weird Explorer) I’m subscribed to peaked my interest. If I remember correctly, it's called Suluk King. It supposedly tastes a little like peanut butter.

I think (sub)tropical fruit is usually a staple - bananas, dates, papaya, ataulfo mangoes, citrus etc. are easy to get, and provide great calories year-round. When in season and/or possible to get good quality, I love stone fruit, melons etc., but all these often lack consistency and often require tons of pesticides to grow. Would love to have organic cherries year-round, but it's far from realistic lol. Nothing like wild foraging though - really something special in that feeling - enjoying mulberries and black/red raspberries right now, and expecting a very abundant apple season too.

Yeah, stone fruits really do lack consistency. The peaches have been so hit-or-miss for me this year. My favorite are white Saturns and normally, the entire crop is sweet when they first arrive at market here but this year, only one in every four or so have been sweet. And that’s so true about wild foraging. We have grapes and a few varieties of berries that grow wild on my family’s property and foraging for them is like looking for treasure. Haha! There are blackberry bushes growing right outside my back door and I’ve been fertilizing them with raw milk and molasses to see if it increases the fruit’s Brix. They’ve always been really sweet, with none of the tartness of store-bought blackberries, but I thought it would be interesting to see if the extra nutrients improve their flavor.

Can vouch for these guys - they know what high quality fruit is and are lovely people overall.

I’ve never met Rane or Edelle, but they do seem like really nice people. I just received an email notice the other day from Miami Fruit that they have orange sherbet mangos. Have you ever had that variety? Based on their description, they sound amazing! Sadly, I’m allergic to mango so I have to limit my intake—I make a rare exception for a ripe ataulfo.

By the way, I hope you’ve been doing well. :)

thetaflow

miniature zebu
That sounds like an exotic plan. Are the zebu for milking?
have you met Grant Campbell
Not in SE Asia, but he does organize events of his own there and has been to a few. I met Grant along with other "pioneers" way back in 2011 at the first Woodstock Fruit Festival (I've been to 5 of them). Very nice guy.
supposedly tastes a little like peanut butter
Haven't had that variety, along with peanut butter fruit, which is probably pretty close too according to others (and the name) lol. I have had canistel - which, when really ripe does remind me of peanut butter a bit too, but more like sweet egg yolk.
fertilizing them with raw milk and molasses
Have never heard of anyone doing that - sounds like some top-level practices haha. We're trying to use as much high quality aged goat and horse manure as we can. Speaking of brix, I remember checking the brix scale of some cempedaks at Bao Sheng, and they were well into the 30s. Just incredible fruit.
orange sherbet mangos. Have you ever had that variety?
Pretty sure I haven't had this variety. In Canada we typically get haden, keitt, ataulfo, kent - even alphonso/kesar a few times. I have had the famous nam dok mai in Thailand, which was pretty epic, but the absolute best mangoes I've had were in Kenya - 2 varieties: "goy" mangoes and "apple" mangoes they called them. It was a great majority of my calories during re-feeding after a 29 day water fast lol. Absolutely epic.
By the way, I hope you’ve been doing well. :)
Thank you, I appreciate that. I do feel like I'm making some progress implementing some new stuff actually, would like to see where it takes me in the near future. You've been such fantastic help - the forum members here are wonderful.

Jennifer

That sounds like an exotic plan. Are the zebu for milking?

I’d like to adopt them from a rescue so even though it would be nice if they provided milk, it’s not important to me. I just really like cows and zebus are small enough to live comfortably on a smaller plot of land—land near the coast where I live is in short supply.

I met Grant along with other "pioneers" way back in 2011 at the first Woodstock Fruit Festival (I've been to 5 of them). Very nice guy.

Out of curiosity, were you ever a member of Leanne’s and Harley’s forum 30bad?

Haven't had that variety, along with peanut butter fruit, which is probably pretty close too according to others (and the name) lol. I have had canistel - which, when really ripe does remind me of peanut butter a bit too, but more like sweet egg yolk.

Oh, yeah! Peanut butter fruit is another one I’ve been wanting to try.

Have never heard of anyone doing that - sounds like some top-level practices haha. We're trying to use as much high quality aged goat and horse manure as we can. Speaking of brix, I remember checking the brix scale of some cempedaks at Bao Sheng, and they were well into the 30s. Just incredible fruit.

Wow, a Brix in the 30s is impressive! I was part of a high Brix gardening group when I followed RBTI and one of the members had success using milk and honey as a foliar spray—he was a religious man whose fertilizer idea was inspired by Canaan—so I thought that maybe by replacing the honey with the more nutrient dense blackstrap molasses, it might yield a higher Brix.

I have had the famous nam dok mai in Thailand, which was pretty epic, but the absolute best mangoes I've had were in Kenya - 2 varieties: "goy" mangoes and "apple" mangoes they called them. It was a great majority of my calories during re-feeding after a 29 day water fast lol. Absolutely epic.

A 29 day water fast is quite something! I agree, the NDM is epic. I looked up those Kenyan varieties—is goy spelled ngowe? I couldn’t find goy but came across a site that lists ngowe and apple as two of Kenya’s most important, local varieties.

I do feel like I'm making some progress implementing some new stuff actually, would like to see where it takes me in the near future.

Oh, good! I’m really glad to hear that! :)

Jennifer

@Rinse & rePeat, I meant to say thank you for your recipe threads and all the time and effort you’ve put into them. I don’t have many people around me who are into health and Ray’s work so the forum is my outlet, but I’m also trying to surround myself with the fun and uplifting, especially during this time, so I’m very grateful I can still come here and read light-hearted threads like yours.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat, I meant to say thank you for your recipe threads and all the time and effort you’ve put into them. I don’t have many people around me who are into health and Ray’s work so the forum is my outlet, but I’m also trying to surround myself with the fun and uplifting, especially during this time, so I’m very grateful I can still come here and read light-hearted threads like yours.
You saying that Jennifer makes it all worth it! You are welcome in my space anytime ?

thetaflow

I just really like cows and zebus
Gotcha. I do think they might fit well into a healthy permaculture setup. There was a docu I watched a while back explaining of importance of having cattle.
were you ever a member of Leanne’s and Harley’s forum 30bad?
Yeah I joined back in 2010 when it was a few months old, and didn't have that many members. Good times - to this day I credit Doug's 811 and the 30BAD community for teaching me the importance of quality fruit, getting enough calories, understanding macronutrients., being objective and practical. I know people who have stuck with LFRV for more than 2 decades and are doing just great - I think out of all of the "raw" diets out there that approach was always the most sustainable, compared to high-fat/gourmet, etc. Certainly taught me a lot of valuable lessons.
so I thought that maybe by replacing the honey with the more nutrient dense blackstrap molasses, it might yield a higher Brix.
That's quite interesting. Were you ever able to have a side-by-side comparison with a control of this sort of supplementation vs none?
is goy spelled ngowe
It could very well be. I remember the name phonetically, what our fasting supervisor and his workers called them. There were really those 2 types at the markets - the "ngowe" ones were absolutely massive and extremely juicy. We'd massage them well, then make a small opening at the top, and just suck out all of the pulp, leaving the pit. The apple variety were circular, insanely flavourful and fragrant but not as juicy. I remember how it was messing with my head during re-feeding - I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about apple mangos at night, then couldn't look at them for a couple of days, then craved them again soon after. Don't know if you've ever looked into Tony Wright's work, but fruit certainly has some kind of deep, primal, symbiotic effect (especially being at the equator after a long fast, right where it grows).

Jennifer

Yeah I joined back in 2010 when it was a few months old, and didn't have that many members. Good times - to this day I credit Doug's 811 and the 30BAD community for teaching me the importance of quality fruit, getting enough calories, understanding macronutrients., being objective and practical. I know people who have stuck with LFRV for more than 2 decades and are doing just great - I think out of all of the "raw" diets out there that approach was always the most sustainable, compared to high-fat/gourmet, etc. Certainly taught me a lot of valuable lessons.

Small world! That’s when I was an active member on 30BAD. :) I went LFRV in 2006 or 2007 after coming across one of Doug’s talks online and eventually came across Leanne and Harley, I think on vegsource. I’m glad you could take something positive from that time. LFRV was certainly the tastiest of the raw diets to me, though, it could have used some salt. lol

That's quite interesting. Were you ever able to have a side-by-side comparison with a control of this sort of supplementation vs none?

For comparison, I have blackberry bushes I haven’t fertilized that are a few yards from the ones I’ve been fertilizing.

It could very well be. I remember the name phonetically, what our fasting supervisor and his workers called them. There were really those 2 types at the markets - the "ngowe" ones were absolutely massive and extremely juicy. We'd massage them well, then make a small opening at the top, and just suck out all of the pulp, leaving the pit. The apple variety were circular, insanely flavourful and fragrant but not as juicy. I remember how it was messing with my head during re-feeding - I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about apple mangos at night, then couldn't look at them for a couple of days, then craved them again soon after. Don't know if you've ever looked into Tony Wright's work, but fruit certainly has some kind of deep, primal, symbiotic effect (especially being at the equator after a long fast, right where it grows).

The mangoes sound incredible, and what a neat way to consume them! Fruit definitely had that effect on me and thankfully I now know why, which has allowed me to have the same euphoric feeling I experienced while fruitarian, but without the extreme lows or manic energy I also experienced then. I haven’t read Tony’s books, but I have seen one of his interviews and his theory of our symbiotic relationship with fruit leading to the rapid growth of juvenile brain tissue and traits is interesting and IMO, not that far off from what Ray has said about sugar—that brain development is in proportion to the amount of sugar provided to the developing nerve tissue. In case you’re interested, he talks about it here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2474&v=96AFY50-J4A&feature=emb_logo

thetaflow

though, it could have used some salt
Small world indeed... and no kidding, but we only need the "organic" type of salt right ;) Do/did you experience water retention issues after being salt-free for a long time, and introducing plenty of salt back?
For comparison, I have blackberry bushes I haven’t fertilized that are a few yards from the ones I’ve been fertilizing.
And? Are they sweeter?! haha
not that far off from what Ray has said about sugar—that brain development is in proportion to the amount of sugar provided to the developing nerve tissue. In case you’re interested, he talks about it here:
This is why I'm attracted to RP's stuff - because he understands the importance of fruit - both from our pov and the fruiting plant's. It just makes sense. If I can make it work for myself, I feel like I could finally find that "balance". Will check out the video thank you! I like to go straight to the source and use that "bioenergetic.life" site to hear RP talk about certain issues.

Jennifer

Small world indeed... and no kidding, but we only need the "organic" type of salt right ;) Do/did you experience water retention issues after being salt-free for a long time, and introducing plenty of salt back?

Hehe! Who needs salt when we have celery? Lots and lots of celery. :meh: I experienced/experience water retention, mainly in my fingers and face, for about 3 days when I reintroduced/up my salt intake.

And? Are they sweeter?! haha

LOL I’ll have to get back to you on that. They’re still green...

996CE2A0-03AD-449A-953E-18719259AD62.jpeg

I just noticed that the deer have already gotten to some of them. Grr! Last year, I waited patiently for the berries to ripen and the night before I was going to harvest them, the deer ate all of them. I’m thinking I may have to dig up some of the bushes and start growing them in pots on the deck…maybe surrounded by a moat ?.

This is why I'm attracted to RP's stuff - because he understands the importance of fruit - both from our pov and the fruiting plant's. It just makes sense. If I can make it work for myself, I feel like I could finally find that "balance". Will check out the video thank you! I like to go straight to the source and use that "bioenergetic.life" site to hear RP talk about certain issues.

You’re welcome! :) I prefer to go straight to the source, too, and think that bioenergetic site is brilliant! But yeah, it’s one of the things that attracted me to Ray’s work, too. Are you hoping to make fruitarianism work or include some other foods?

thetaflow

I experienced/experience water retention, mainly in my fingers and face, for about 3 days when I reintroduced/up my salt intake.
Ditton on the 3 days. You say you still experience this phenomenon? I was under the impression everyone following RP consumes ample amounts of salt, is that not the case for you?
LOL I’ll have to get back to you on that.
I'm certainly curious lol.
maybe surrounded by a moat
:p:
Are you hoping to make fruitarianism work or include some other foods?
Currently I think it could work long-term if you've a very low-stress semi-sedentary lifestyle, somewhere in the tropics, eating local, high-quality fruit. Fit Shortie Eats for example I think is doing pretty good, and she had a fruitarian pregnancy, and is raising her baby fruitarian as far as I know - but they fit the above criteria. Robert Lockhart was also raw vegan for many decades, and from having met him, he was a very healthy man in his 70s - very unfortunate about what happened, and strange circumstances regarding his passing (same with Dave Klein). Don't think the IF and dry fasting did him any favours, but he did very much love coconut and talked about the benefits. (He also talked about going months on 100% durian lol). Anne Osborne seems fine, and she's an ethical fruitarian.

Either way I think with the way things are going in the world currently, I would rather be healthy consuming some forms of local animal foods, such as eggs and dairy, rather than rely on supplements. I also enjoy cooked tubers and vegetables, although I often wonder how a 100% raw, fruit-based, non-vegan diet would feel.

Jennifer

You say you still experience this phenomenon? I was under the impression everyone following RP consumes ample amounts of salt, is that not the case for you?

Yep, I still experience it, I think because I don’t consume salt consistently. I’ll have some cheese and an egg dish containing salt a few times a month, but my main sources of sodium are milk and fruit. I find I just don’t crave salt (or veggies) when consuming milk.

Currently I think it could work long-term if you've a very low-stress semi-sedentary lifestyle, somewhere in the tropics, eating local, high-quality fruit. Fit Shortie Eats for example I think is doing pretty good, and she had a fruitarian pregnancy, and is raising her baby fruitarian as far as I know - but they fit the above criteria. Robert Lockhart was also raw vegan for many decades, and from having met him, he was a very healthy man in his 70s - very unfortunate about what happened, and strange circumstances regarding his passing (same with Dave Klein). Don't think the IF and dry fasting did him any favours, but he did very much love coconut and talked about the benefits. (He also talked about going months on 100% durian lol). Anne Osborne seems fine, and she's an ethical fruitarian.

I don’t know if you’ve searched the bioenergetic site for what Ray has to say about fruitarianism and protein requirements, but he has talked about protein requirements potentially being low if stress is low. I can honestly say, even with stress being low, I still benefited greatly by increasing my protein intake. But yeah, I’m curious how Leo is doing. I don’t go on Instagram so I don’t know if this is true or not but supposedly, Fit Shortie Eats stopped posting pics of him after people expressed concern that he was so underdeveloped. I agree that the IF and dry fasting likely didn’t do Robert any favors, especially reading about the condition of his kidneys, and from my understanding, he didn’t seek treatment (refused antibiotics?) until it was too late? Anne seems like such a nice lady and Cappi always seemed really sweet and intelligent. I watched a video of her getting married back in 2019. The place where the ceremony was held looked picturesque and she seemed so happy.

I also enjoy cooked tubers and vegetables, although I often wonder how a 100% raw, fruit-based, non-vegan diet would feel.

Probably highly dependent on the individual but a 100% raw, fruit-based, non-vegan diet felt pretty amazing to me, even better than fruitarianism, honestly. Just the addition of AP (in my case, raw milk) and I have that fruitarian high on life, euphoric feeling, but grounded. Not to get too out there, but I feel more in my body and part of life with AP. There were times, particularly while following 80/10/10, where I felt this endlessness, like nothing really seemed to matter or have purpose, as if life itself had no meaning, and it was honestly scary as heck feeling that way. I now understand what was going on biologically but yeah, it wasn’t pleasant. Maybe not so popular these days given the current state of the world but I genuinely love life so if feels really good to feel like I’m part of it again.

lvysaur

"Many fruits (including peaches, plums, and tropical jack fruit) are deficient in tryptophan, yet have very significant quantities of the other amino acids.
Yeah, if you've ever eaten these fruits, you'll notice how "filling" they are.
They're very heavy, and they're usually classified under Tamasic (aka filling/heavy) in Ayurveda

Essentially the "meat" of the fruit realm

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yeah, if you've ever eaten these fruits, you'll notice how "filling" they are.
They're very heavy, and they're usually classified under Tamasic (aka filling/heavy) in Ayurveda

Essentially the "meat" of the fruit realm

Or as Yerrag told me "umay", filled or full or over-saturated :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals