Jackfruit - The Protein Surprise!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I like jackfruit but Ray Peat warns against the fruit, apparently the sap is very allergenic to a lot of people and as most jackfruit are picked slightly unripe it has always some of the white sap left. It only tastes great when fully ripe or it is too chewy.
I read it can be too Michael, and made sure to state that in my post. I tasted a small bite of the fruit fresh and then cooked the rest. It has been lovely!

Jennifer

That’s one of the benefits to buying the jackfruit already cut up. I was able to see if it was ripe or not before purchasing it. Too many times I had picked ones that seemed ripe—they were heavily fragrant and their skin gave to gentle pressure—but still contained some latex.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That’s one of the benefits to buying the jackfruit already cut up. I was able to see if it was ripe or not before purchasing it. Too many times I had picked ones that seemed ripe—they were heavily fragrant and their skin gave to gentle pressure—but still contained some latex.

Ohhh! Good point! Here is what mine looked like. I thought it might be getting too ripe be cause it was getting brown spots onbthe outside. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20210609_170300.jpg
    20210609_170300.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 23

BodhiBlues

A BBQ food stall near me has BBQ'd Jackfruit as the vegan option. I keep meaning to give it a try, but I can never resist having the beef brisket instead!

thetaflow

Ohhh! Good point! Here is what mine looked like. I thought it might be getting too ripe be cause it was getting brown spots onbthe outside. What do you think?
Yeah that's a long way from being even remotely ripe. I probably wouldn't even eat that. There shouldn't be crunch nor latex.

It's a shame our culture doesn't celebrate or appreciate truly high quality fruit.

If you ever visit SE Asia, I highly recommend seeking out a jackfruit hybrid - cempedak. Understanding and appreciating primo top-tier fruit takes experience.

1625075173357.png

OP
Rinse & rePeat
A BBQ food stall near me has BBQ'd Jackfruit as the vegan option. I keep meaning to give it a try, but I can never resist having the beef brisket instead!
Well now you are gonna have to try one Bodhi and report back to us ?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yeah that's a long way from being even remotely ripe. I probably wouldn't even eat that. There shouldn't be crunch nor latex.

It's a shame our culture doesn't celebrate or appreciate truly high quality fruit.

If you ever visit SE Asia, I highly recommend seeking out a jackfruit hybrid - cempedak. Understanding and appreciating primo top-tier fruit takes experience.

View attachment 24756

I am glad I asked. That fruit looks much plumper than mine! The fruit was very sweet still, and almost overrip tasting. I am learning, thanks for your addition to my education thetaflow ?

Jennifer

@Rinse & rePeat, what thetaflow said. If I saw butter yellow, I didn’t buy it. I just looked and I still had some in the freezer. It looks kind of gross and a little brown from being frozen, but this is roughly the color I look for:

2ADA1747-B3FD-4F53-A577-914DA0B7A41C.jpeg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat, what thetaflow said. If I saw butter yellow, I didn’t buy it. I just looked and I still had some in the freezer. It looks kind of gross and a little brown from being frozen, but this is roughly the color I look for:

View attachment 24758
The fresh one I had and the frozen were more the color of a canteloupe or mango an orange color. You pic looks even more so! I am glad that even though mine was underripe, it tasted great. Fortunately we cooked the fresh fruit.

thetaflow

I am glad I asked. That fruit looks much plumper than mine! The fruit was very sweet still, and almost overrip tasting. I am learning, thanks for your addition to my education thetaflow ?
Make a post if you ever try durian - it's my favourite :) (The people who say they don't like it haven't had a truly good one). Although it makes me wonder what ratios of fats are in there since it's about 20-30% fat.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Make a post if you ever try durian - it's my favourite :) (The people who say they don't like it haven't had a truly good one). Although it makes me wonder what ratios of fats are in there since it's about 20-30% fat.
Durian? I have never heard of it!! With that much fat, it sounds like an avocado relative? ?

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Oh wow! It looks intriguing! A bit similar to a jackfruit?

Attachments

• 20210630_122142.jpg
    20210630_122142.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 19

Jennifer

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Attachments

• 20210630_135450.jpg
    20210630_135450.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 13
OP
Rinse & rePeat
This is all so helpful to me with you guys giving me some knowledge to try some other wonderful fruits. My family owned local health food store gets in all kinds of alien looking fruits that I have had no idea how to pick or know what to expect from them. I am going to look for the Durian and paw paw fruits now!

thetaflow

And the North American pawpaw, please. :)

This is a good site on durian:

Picked my first pawpaws last fall from a local botanical garden - like a NA mango, just wished it was sweeter. Hard to imagine how they grow at these latitudes, and hopefully this fruit makes a comeback. I'd have to visit Ohio or something, as they probably have sweeter varieties.

+1 on YOTD. I've known Lindsay for a long time, and she really is incredibly knowledgeable and passionate - don't know anyone who knows more about this fruit. I'm pretty sure she started a business shipping high quality durian to people in US, different varieties etc. It's pricey (it's an expensive fruit in general), but if someone wants a proper introduction, short of going to SE Asia, it would be the way to go. There's just something about durian that drives people crazy - if I've ever been truly addicted to a food, that is absolutely it. You'll travel for it, you'll spend tons of money on it, you'll dream about it, you'll get high off of it lol. Maybe it was the sulphur-containing amino acids which are lower on a raw food diet, or maybe something else, but the durian high is real.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Picked my first pawpaws last fall from a local botanical garden - like a NA mango, just wished it was sweeter. Hard to imagine how they grow at these latitudes, and hopefully this fruit makes a comeback. I'd have to visit Ohio or something, as they probably have sweeter varieties.

+1 on YOTD. I've known Lindsay for a long time, and she really is incredibly knowledgeable and passionate - don't know anyone who knows more about this fruit. I'm pretty sure she started a business shipping high quality durian to people in US, different varieties etc. It's pricey (it's an expensive fruit in general), but if someone wants a proper introduction, short of going to SE Asia, it would be the way to go. There's just something about durian that drives people crazy - if I've ever been truly addicted to a food, that is absolutely it. You'll travel for it, you'll spend tons of money on it, you'll dream about it, you'll get high off of it lol. Maybe it was the sulphur-containing amino acids which are lower on a raw food diet, or maybe something else, but the durian high is real.
Whaaat?? Oh now I really gotta find one! I will report back if I am successful!

Jennifer

This is all so helpful to me with you guys giving me some knowledge to try some other wonderful fruits. My family owned local health food store gets in all kinds of alien looking fruits that I have had no idea how to pick or know what to expect from them. I am going to look for the Durian and paw paw fruits now!

I’ll be impressed if they carry pawpaw there. It’s hard to find, at least it is for me, and I’m in an area where it grows wild. I order it online, but when I can buy property near the coast and start my fruit forest, it’s one of the first I’ll be planting. That and pink muscat/muscatel grapes. I had my first muscats this year and I’m in love with that fruit. lol It has this really pretty rosy blush to it and a sweet, light floral taste.

Oh, wonderful! Yes, it’s wild to think such a tropical-like fruit is native to this area. The pawpaws I’ve tried have all been really sweet so they must have been the sweeter varieties—I know that there are a couple that aren’t that sweet. May I ask, have you ever had a jungle durian? If so, did you like it? And do you find you enjoy tropical fruit overall?

Oh, and Rinse, Miami fruit sells a lot of tropicals like the chempejack that thetaflow mentioned, though, I’m not sure if they can sell to Cali residents:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals