Papaya Is The Perfect Fruit

jaywills

I believe Papaya is the perfect Fruit, and for the following reasons would recommend it to all that do not eat it currently

Reasoning:
- Incredibly Easy to digest - Not only is it soft, this fruit contains a host of proteolytic enzymes. these include papain, chymopapain, caricain and glycyl endopeptidase. These are shown to aid in the digestive process. This is especially true of meals that contain meat or other concentrated forms of protein.
As meals should be balanced and protein is hard to digest especially a compromised digestive state, papayas can be assist like no other Fruit.
- Great for natural hydration as they contain electrolytes & potassium
- Loaded with Vitamin C - great for the immune system
- Tropical Fruit grown in hot climates; further supporting Peat's hypotheses surrounding foods/environment link and metabolism
- edible part of the fruit is guarded by a thick skin where pesticides or other harmful substances cannot penetrate (if pesticides are used in cultivating - not sure here but my two cents with today's world)
- Not as mass produced, and thus not as rushed to store (debatable but have you ever seen a un-ripe Papaya in a store?)
- Do not seem to go off quickly.
- & last but not least taste delicious

OP
J

jaywills

Zachs said:
GMO would be my only concern with papaya.

Zachs whilst I agree and appreciate GMO is a huge concern and one that cannot be overlooked, please tell me of a food not subject to such an Industry?

Not trying to criticize your contribution but you can find fault with all food. Like Rob Turner says: "There is no perfect food; each comes with give and take. When eating for health, savvy eaters choose foods that give the most and take away the least." - Rob Turner

In my opinion the Papaya is on the largely positive side of the food see-saw.

Zachs

jaywills said:
Zachs said:
GMO would be my only concern with papaya.

Zachs whilst I agree and appreciate GMO is a huge concern and one that cannot be overlooked, please tell me of a food not subject to such an Industry?

Not trying to criticize your contribution but you can find fault with all food. Like Rob Turner says: "There is no perfect food; each comes with give and take. When eating for health, savvy eaters choose foods that give the most and take away the least." - Rob Turner

In my opinion the Papaya is on the largely positive side of the food see-saw.

Papaya is one of only a handful of fruits that has been genetically modified. So unless you are buying organic papaya, chances are it could be GMO.

OP
J

jaywills

Fair point, but this is an industry likely to expand and that will encompass more foods as time goes on. This is a negative granted. But i still hold my opinion. In this case it has been genetically modified rather well. If you cant beat them join them. I say eat ;)

Mittir

There is one special characteristics of Papaya. It is starch free even when papaya is not
ripe . In a correspondence RP mentioned that Papaya should be fully ripe. I do not remember
the exact reason, i think it was about raw papaya causing miscarriage.

As usual ,it is not easy to find tasty ripe papaya. A fully ripe papaya should melt in the mouth.
Most commercial papaya stay farm even when the whole fruit is bright yellow.
Papaya in summer is the sweetest,

Edit: Here is the original RP quote on papaya from peatarian site. He did not give any reason
to why papaya needs to be fully ripe. I think i read elsewhere that raw papaya causes miscarriage.

Ray Peat said:
Mangos, if you aren't allergic to them, papayas if they are fully ripe, and in moderation pineapple is o.k., though it contains serotonin and tryptophan. Lychees, longans, and guavas are others you might be able to find. http://beesandbutterflies.org/96/frozen-and-dried-fruit

jaa

I miss thailand with its super cheap and fresh papaya and mango everywhere.

BobbyDukes

Ripe mango is bordering on orgasmic, for me. But, it's really not a food to 'eat on the go'. The mess it makes is ridiculous (if you want I eat ALL the flesh; which you would, considering what a waste is, otherwise). If I was out in the jungle, I wouldn't give two shits. But in the work place, you have to maintain a certain degree of etiquette.

Papaya, was kind of boring and expensive. But then, perhaps I haven't come across good ones yet.

OP
J

jaywills

I completely agree on how great Mango is but have always been hesitant after reading the Mango Sickness quote of Dr Peat. Is avoiding mango because of this advisable or is this another fine tuning and overly and unnecessarily restrictive approach?

Interesting about eating the flesh. It's always something I've wanted to do but thought due to handling pesticides etc it wouldn't be worth it. Guess I should give it a try

schultz

I personally feel the Annona family of fruit is the best. I buy a lot of cherimoya and atemoya whenever they sell them at the grocery store.

I had some pretty amazing papaya in hawaii though. Apparently most of the hawaii papaya is GMO now because they had some sort of blight. When it tastes that good I could care less about the GMO.

tara

I love papaya. They are expensive, not always available, and sometimes green - but seem to ripen up if I wait a while. Lately I've been splashing out and buying one now and then, and incorporating it in fruit salad. Today's is with oranges and kiwi fruit and banana. I day-dream o living where they are fresh and plentiful. :)

I love mango too. Also expensive and often not ripe, so I only get one occasionally. I read about Peat's concern with too much mango, but I'm assuming one every now and then isn't a big deal. Probably wouldn't eat lots every day.
I found some frozen mango recently, blended some with sugar, mixed with whipped cream, made delicious ice-cream.

schultz

I usually find ripe ataulfo mangoes. You can usually find them for a dollar here in Ontario. They have more meat on 'em than the red mangoes and are not stringy to boot.

tara

lexis said:
Papaya contains lot of carotene
Oh yeah. So maybe I could only eat them occasionally anyway, till I get into better shape, even if I did live in more tropical climes. :)

Stuart

You're not worried about the pectin in papaya and mango ? They both have about the same as apples , oranges, grapes or melons. There's more non fermentatble fibre (cellulose) in stringy mangoes though.

Suikerbuik

Stuart said:
You're not worried about the pectin in papaya and mango ? They both have about the same as apples , oranges, grapes or melons. There's more non fermentatble fibre (cellulose) in stringy mangoes though.

I am fine with the pectin in mango. I am also fine with whole oranges, just not the residual pectin in juice.

pboy

yea if you can get good papaya its an epic fruit, but most available is either those huge (I guess GMO?) hybrid ones, or just doesn't ripen properly, and is expensive.

They have like the best calcium phosphorus ratio of almost any fruit and are not really acidic at all, I think PH is like 6+...so in that sense, its probably one of the most fundamentally balanced and alkaline forming food there is without really any intestinal offense at all. Its a great food

tara

Stuart said:
I'm not worried about pectin for myself.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals