My Hair, The Very Source Of Stress, Which Led To Insomnia, Etc

jackson1

Hi guys,

I'm 39 yo male and has been suffered from hair loss (mostly hairline and temples) over at least 15 years. It has been markedly aggravated over the last 3 years. I'm kind of slim. Not hypertensive (usually around 110-120/80-85).
There's no doubt if it was not for my hair, I wouldn't have chronic stress as I do now. So hair loss makes you stressed out and it again affects your hair.

After finding out the scalp massage techniques and dermarolling, I tried both only to see they all made me go through severe hair loss despite using the correct techniques. Of course, I knew mechanical stimulation would somewhat lead to increased hair loss temporarily as those weakened telogen hairs would fall out unnoticed anyways. But my hair loss was obviously worse than that. It was somewhere between 150~200 when I was doing the massages and before starting it, it was somewhere between 50~100. I can tell these figures quire sure as I counted them. I stopped doing the massages of course. I'm becoming skeptical of massages and other mechanical stimulation techniques. That said, the only thing I may start again would be Paul Taylor's compression techniques, if ever.

The main concern that I really want to solve at the moment is sleeping. More than getting up in the middle of the sleep, I have difficulty falling into sleep. (I know I could've asked this question at 'Insomnia and sleep' section, given my source of stress, I chose this section)

I've been taking or checking
- morning armpit temperature 96.3 at 2 min mark, then 97.2 at 10 min mark
- afternoon armpit temp 97.2 at 2 min mark, then 98.1 at 10 min mark
- kelp daily for thyroid improvement
- gelatine on and off
- wash hair mostly with warm water, sometimes with soap, but not shampoos
- I also donated blood last month.
- Stopped cold shower last month.

I recently started RP diet including,
- aspirin (New. I used be a person that hates taking medication)
- raw carrot salad (I've been eating cooked carrots more than a year)
- caffeine (New. I've been avoiding it like the plague in fear of insomnia)
- sugar (white rice has been my staple)
- trying not to skip meals (I used to eat 2 times a day without eating enough sugar after dinner)
- minimized PUFA (I've been doing anti-PUFA more than a year)
- calcium (started supplementing instead of eating dried anchovies in fear of PUFA consumption)
- gelatine mixed in boiled water (or I end up with very loose stool)
- vit D3 (2000IU/day orally, 2000IU/day drops on olecranon fossa *2 times)
- vit E (400IU/day. The label says it doesn't contain any source of soy, gluten, wheat, yeast, egg, GMO..)
- vit B complex (100mg/day)
- vit K2 MK7 (100mcg/twice a week). In Ontario, it's hard to buy 'only MK4 supplement'. Any tip on this is very much appreciated

I'm considering starting the following,
- thyroid supplement (hopefully TO DECREASE STRESS and BRING BETTER SLEEP QUALITY)
- progesterone topical on thinning area
- red light
- new blood work

I hear @haidut often suggests taking thyroid to those who experience symptoms similar to mine as I'm a big time fan of Danny Roddy and Haidut's live chat. What I wonder is the timeframe of this approach. So far as I know, exogenous thyroid supplements suppress the internal production of thyroid hormone.

Is the thyroid supplement basically assuming the life-long using or can it be just a temporary measure until things get improved (followed by non-complicated internal production)?

A poor guy is desperate for your gracious advice and tips. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

GAF

Non surgical hair replacement.

Apparently this is what most guys are doing these days, if they care about their hair style and don't want to feminize themselves with Fin.

johnwester130

a non surgical hair replacement will help your self esteem

a,d, e, k2
b complex
progesterone/dhea
a thyroid supplement

are the most basic and supportive supplements

a diet mostly of dairy
shellfish
liver
gelatin

fruit,
potatoes/rice
carrot salad
mushrooms

coconut oil/salt/ coffee

will sustain a person well enough

for sleep, an anti histamine would help

OP
J

jackson1

a non surgical hair replacement will help your self esteem

a,d, e, k2
b complex
progesterone/dhea
a thyroid supplement

are the most basic and supportive supplements

a diet mostly of dairy
shellfish
liver
gelatin

fruit,
potatoes/rice
carrot salad
mushrooms

coconut oil/salt/ coffee

will sustain a person well enough

for sleep, an anti histamine would help

Thanks for your reply but I'd even more appreciate it if you can also answer the things I asked (about thyroid supplement in terms of its duration of usage). Actually, if you've read my posting, you'd figure out most of what you mentioned are already in my routine.

Auslander

NONSURGICAL HAIR REPLACEMENT?

You guys are just kidding right?

Wearing a glued-on touppe as a hair loss sollution is akin to wearing a padded Batman haloween costume under your clothes instead of working out. Only worse.

I dont believe anyone with slightest amount of self respect would do that. And i dont believe anyone who wears it is nothing but a laughing stock to everyone else they know. Cut it, shave it, or ignore it, just handle it with dignity.

mangoes

NONSURGICAL HAIR REPLACEMENT?

You guys are just kidding right?

Wearing a glued-on touppe as a hair loss sollution is akin to wearing a padded Batman haloween costume under your clothes instead of working out. Only worse.

I dont believe anyone with slightest amount of self respect would do that. And i dont believe anyone who wears it is nothing but a laughing stock to everyone else they know. Cut it, shave it, or ignore it, just handle it with dignity.

Are you bald?

Auslander

At 45 im still hanging on all my hair. But id rather be bald than wear a toupe. I'd even rather be dead. Advising guys to wear a hair piece is just cruel and mean.

mangoes

If you’ve never experienced hair loss you don’t have much room to talk

And hair pieces have come a long way

rei

How's your posture? I believe fascial tension through the neck causes most MPB.

For sleep try melatonin, it works wonders if stress hormones keep you awake. Not so good for psychological insomnia so if you ruminate the best method is to learn to meditate: to silence all inner dialogue. Benzos and z drugs also work for that, but they have downsides and should only be used when absolutely needed.

Auslander

If you’ve never experienced hair loss you don’t have much room to talk

Everybody has hang ups. I do too. Going about them in a selfrespecting and dignified manner is key.

Seriously, what woman on Earth would be with a guy wearing a hair piece. Im not bashing anyone here, im trying to protect guys from becoming a joke. Going from bald to joke is a bad progression.

mangoes

Everybody has hang ups. I do too. Going about them in a selfrespecting and dignified manner is key.

Seriously, what woman on Earth would be with a guy wearing a hair piece. Im not bashing anyone here, im trying to protect guys from becoming a joke. Going from bald to joke is a bad progression.

Maybe back in the 80s when the wigs looked terrible but nowadays it’s mostly an improvement. If a guy or girl can rock a bald head that’s great but for a lot of people, they just look better with hair. And the wigs these days aren’t bad.

why wouldn’t a woman date a man wearing a wig? Plenty of women wear wigs and hair extensions themselves? I don’t consider wearing wigs as being non-“self respecting” or ill dignified for either gender.

Last edited:

rei

Interesting - I went down this line of research for a while, too! Could you elaborate on your theory and why you think this is?
I recently fixed serious spinal and pelvic misalignment, calcification, sacralization?, slight scoliosis etc. with accompanied fascial tensions. And experienced it firsthand how the scalp on my head would slide as the fascial tension released in segments from neck to back scalp to front. The tension even affects the whole face and reaches all the way down to the upper jaw, i saw my asymmetrical nasal passage become symmetrical during couple weeks and a couple times physically felt an upper molar tooth shift when i massaged my face.

Now all my skin moves much more freely all over the body, especially over the head. Much less tension and softer. And the first signs of starting MPB are completely gone (or maybe it was just receding due to the skin being pulled back?), and hair feels and looks healthier and stays clean longer.

I believe 90+% of the population has some sort of chronic postural damage. Any curvature results in fascial tension that tries to pull you back upright.

Astonishing claim, i know. And no doctor would probably agree. But after fully mobilizing my spine i know we are supposed to have a straight spine, exactly like ancient yoga teaches. Western medicine still knew this to some degree in year 1900. But it got corrupted and modern anatomy incorrectly teaches that a curvature in spine is healthy.

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/20...71709faff894cfbc6ee8afdac7c7b7d5-s800-c85.jpg
Primal posture: Ubong tribesmen in Borneo (right) display the perfect J-shaped spines. A woman in Burkina Faso (left) holds her baby so that his spine stays straight. The center image shows the S-shaped spine drawn in a modern anatomy book (Fig. I) and the J-shaped spine (Fig. II) drawn in the 1897 anatomy book Traite d'Anatomie Humaine.

Last edited:

brix

I recently fixed serious spinal and pelvic misalignment, calcification, sacralization?, slight scoliosis etc. with accompanied fascial tensions. And experienced it firsthand how the scalp on my head would slide as the fascial tension released in segments from neck to back scalp to front. The tension even affects the whole face and reaches all the way down to the upper jaw, i saw my asymmetrical nasal passage become symmetrical during couple weeks and a couple times physically felt an upper molar tooth shift when i massaged my face.

Now all my skin moves much more freely all over the body, especially over the head. Much less tension and softer. And the first signs of starting MPB are completely gone (or maybe it was just receding due to the skin being pulled back?), and hair feels and looks healthier and stays clean longer.

I believe 90+% of the population has some sort of chronic postural damage. Any curvature results in fascial tension that tries to pull you back upright.

Astonishing claim, i know. And no doctor would probably agree. But after fully mobilizing my spine i know we are supposed to have a straight spine, exactly like ancient yoga teaches. Western medicine still knew this to some degree in year 1900. But it got corrupted and modern anatomy incorrectly teaches that a curvature in spine is healthy.

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/20...71709faff894cfbc6ee8afdac7c7b7d5-s800-c85.jpg

Right there with you. Slight scoliosis since I was a child and I am sure it affects the entire system. How did you fix it ?

rei

See my post history for some updates over the last 14 months, but it was basically something i would call chiropractic yoga (i discovered it myself) + supplements and diet. I will write a testimony post detailing it all in the near future.

SonOfEurope

Hey Jackson,

Are you in Canada? 'Cause I am...

Around 40-42 years of age you enter life's estrogen Peak in relation to progesterone and Adrenal androgens tend to be high mid-life from more stress than younger or older people.

Doesn't surprise me the peak of hair loss is at 40-45, even then I was massively shedding just 2 years ago at 26, I corrected my diet, thyroid, ditched unnecessarily stress and supplement progesterone + low dose DHEA and everything came back to normal.

Good improvements on diet! Make sure to have your coffee 6 hours before bed and you'll be fine, make sure it's mixed tocopherols in the vit E and don't forget Magnesium and always enough salt.

Bad sleep only aggravates the thyroid-Adrenal situation.

It would help to see labs, before you go for Finasteride and ruin 5-Ar function, improve your metabolism and try low dose Progesterone or Pregnenolone+ DHEA... But I'd suggest prog. It opposes adrenal androgens , de-calcifies and puts both E2 and DHT in check without messing with Testosterone's main functions in a low dose 3-9mg/Day so long as you provide enough calories, protein and Minerals to your body.