Whey. Ever Ok?

lvysaur

100 grams of protein from whey has around 1,6 grams of tryptophan, while 100 grams of protein from whole milk has around 2,2 grams of tryptophan. Cheese, however, indeed has less tryptophan than whey.
So all then someone's measurement is wrong

milk is a mixture of whey and casein, so it has to be intermediate in tryptophan concentration.

So all then someone's measurement is wrong

milk is a mixture of whey and casein, so it has to be intermediate in tryptophan concentration.
It's the info that is on the database of the selfnutritiondata.com. On wikipedia, the amount of tryptophan in milk is around 2,4 grams per 100 grams of protein, so it may be that whey has much more tryptophan than what is listed on selfnutritiondata.

Also, I saw this written on that same wikipedia page:
"The isolation of tryptophan was first reported by Frederick Hopkins in 1901.[31] Hopkins recovered tryptophan from hydrolysed casein, recovering 4–8 g of tryptophan from 600 g of crude casein.[3"

I don't know if 4-8 grams of tryptophan is all of this aminoacid that exists in 600 grams of casein, but if that is the case, then 100 grams of casein will have around 1 gram of tryp.

Dave Clark

As far back as the 80s there was scientific studies showing tryptophan was pro-aging. I can see his face, but can't remember the name of the scientist who really promoted this theory. But, back then the main focus was on not using tryptophan supplements, which were being tauted for helping with sleep, nobody really was too concerned about how much was in food. I suppose it does no good to not use whey, and then eat foods high in tryptophan, and vice versa. I use some whey, but once in a while, and not large amounts. BTW, if anyone can remember that scientist I mentioned, please post his name. Also, this guy's theory was not popular.

As far back as the 80s there was scientific studies showing tryptophan was pro-aging. I can see his face, but can't remember the name of the scientist who really promoted this theory. But, back then the main focus was on not using tryptophan supplements, which were being tauted for helping with sleep, nobody really was too concerned about how much was in food. I suppose it does no good to not use whey, and then eat foods high in tryptophan, and vice versa. I use some whey, but once in a while, and not large amounts. BTW, if anyone can remember that scientist I mentioned, please post his name. Also, this guy's theory was not popular.
I'm interested in knowing this as well!

Motif

I love the taste of whey protein shakes. I could drink 5 a day, but damn histamine intolerance. Two of them and my body is done with it

Dave Clark

I used to use whey, but recently I discovered the whole goat milk powder from Mt. Capra, which is organic grass-fed, low heat dried. It may not have everything whey powder has, but it is closer to raw, whole milk, and I think that is better in the long run.
This satisfies me as a good substitute for whey when making shakes, smoothies, etc., and works good as a coffee creamer.

Dr. B

I love the taste of whey protein shakes. I could drink 5 a day, but damn histamine intolerance. Two of them and my body is done with it
which brand? hows histamine intolerance relevant, is it a high histamine food?
combining beef liver/copper with whey should help a lot?
every whey ive tried has tasted gross... the good ones have all kinds of flavors, fillers, sweeteners...

Ben.

every whey ive tried has tasted gross... the good ones have all kinds of flavors, fillers, sweeteners...

I woudln't buy shakes/powders that have "tastes" to them anyways. I'd recommend the pure whey unflavored without annything added and just dissolve it in milk or smoothies.

Motif

I guess, cause my typical high histamine symptoms got crazy from it.

i take a lot of copper right now, check my zinc : copper ratio post.

improvement; but still really bad, specially with high histamine foods.

Dr. B

I woudln't buy shakes/powders that have "tastes" to them anyways. I'd recommend the pure whey unflavored without annything added and just dissolve it in milk or smoothies.
yea the good tasting ones have fillers...
theres a brand on amazon, says organic gras fed whey or raw grass fed whey
$100 for 5 pounds so its double the price of most whey
but its certified organic, they say its from A2 jersey cows who are 100% gras fed
so it seems like the highest quality whey
no fillers, no sunwloer or soy lecithin.
its got like 1g fat, all saturated, alongside 2g carbs/sugars (all lactose probably) and 21g protein per serving. so its low fat, high protein, seems ideal
i was thinking of eating it like just eating the powder straight in my mouth. dont want to add more water in would that be fine
also some people say whey has issues with its processing
doesnt pasteurizing or cooking milk/meat have the same issues as processing/freeze drying whey protein ? the oxidation and whatever issues...

Dr. B

I guess, cause my typical high histamine symptoms got crazy from it.

i take a lot of copper right now, check my zinc : copper ratio post.

improvement; but still really bad, specially with high histamine foods.
whats your overall supplement and diet regimen?
i only ever had histamine intolerance when i was a younger kid regularly eating foods cooked in canola oil and cheetos... it was seasonal allergies and who knows the cause maybe it was all the vaccines
and then when i was using niacin/niacinamide supplements and zinc as an older man...
methylation/methionine and copper should help with the histamine issues...
some said calcium helps and is anti histamine
so milk should help it has choline too

Ben.

yea the good tasting ones have fillers...
theres a brand on amazon, says organic gras fed whey or raw grass fed whey
$100 for 5 pounds so its double the price of most whey
but its certified organic, they say its from A2 jersey cows who are 100% gras fed
so it seems like the highest quality whey
no fillers, no sunwloer or soy lecithin.
its got like 1g fat, all saturated, alongside 2g carbs/sugars (all lactose probably) and 21g protein per serving. so its low fat, high protein, seems ideal
i was thinking of eating it like just eating the powder straight in my mouth. dont want to add more water in would that be fine
also some people say whey has issues with its processing
doesnt pasteurizing or cooking milk/meat have the same issues as processing/freeze drying whey protein ? the oxidation and whatever issues...

I think theres good quality whey from grasfed cows that is not ridicliously overpriced. Processed foods many times have issues due to processing and other powder supplements are no exception. Its hard to find a brand that cares about it or is being transparent about it. To be honest i hate how being a good and healthy consumer is a horrible amount of effort for literally each and every product while simultanously every product and company overshadows the crap they sell with buzzwords and ridicliously shady/manipulative advertisements ...

Whey protein has the advantage that it has been the protein supplement standard and its used by so many people so health issues among the population should have been more apparant i think? Or perhaps its the same elusive issue with PUFA and hard to pinpoint wether it is a issue or not. Without lecithin idk if it dissolves well but i think healthwise its alot better that way. I'd still drink it with milk so there are atleast some "natural" cofactors it would usually have alongside it.

Lately i've been pondering why there is not much potatoe protein powder on the market considering its aminoacid profile is realy realy good, combining it with egg protein should reap the benefits of the "increased" biovability eggs and potatoes (pea and rice too for example) have.
Maybe its not cost effective ... idk but it seems to be used alot in animal feed.

In any case i think getting protein from wholefood should be prioritised and the wey should remain a supplementatation when cooking/preparing food is/was not possible due to time restriction. A worthwhile exception could be hydrolized collagen to mitigate the issues with meat.

Motif

whats your overall supplement and diet regimen?
i only ever had histamine intolerance when i was a younger kid regularly eating foods cooked in canola oil and cheetos... it was seasonal allergies and who knows the cause maybe it was all the vaccines
and then when i was using niacin/niacinamide supplements and zinc as an older man...
methylation/methionine and copper should help with the histamine issues...
some said calcium helps and is anti histamine
so milk should help it has choline too

right now just zinc and copper, but I want to start some more again.
I was taking pretty much every vitamin / mineral , but only for a few weeks.
when my histamine issues really get super bad I take some niacin.

i want to get more protein now and maybe start ox bile again cause my fat digestion is just bad and ox bile in high doses really helped.

methionine? Would zinc methionine be an option too; cause I orders some + copper.

I drink milk but can’t tolerate too much I think, cottage cheese, meat, fruits, fruit juice, rice, potatoes, coconut oil , butter , olive oil. Mozzarella

Dr. B

right now just zinc and copper, but I want to start some more again.
I was taking pretty much every vitamin / mineral , but only for a few weeks.
when my histamine issues really get super bad I take some niacin.

i want to get more protein now and maybe start ox bile again cause my fat digestion is just bad and ox bile in high doses really helped.

methionine? Would zinc methionine be an option too; cause I orders some + copper.

I drink milk but can’t tolerate too much I think, cottage cheese, meat, fruits, fruit juice, rice, potatoes, coconut oil , butter , olive oil. Mozzarella
mate tbh the zinc/copper may be causing more trouble with histamine than helping especially if the ratio is off.
copper normally helps histamine but who knows how supplementing it works, maybe it depletes vitamin c too much and still raises histamine then
nearly every mineral/vitamin causes depletion in something else when supplementing a long time

Motif

mate tbh the zinc/copper may be causing more trouble with histamine than helping especially if the ratio is off.
copper normally helps histamine but who knows how supplementing it works, maybe it depletes vitamin c too much and still raises histamine then
nearly every mineral/vitamin causes depletion in something else when supplementing a long time

but what should I do then? My zinc and copper blood levels are always low. Always. Slightly higher when supplementing. And I feel an improvement of my symptoms immediately. But still the symptoms are really bad. But better then without.

Copper depletes vitamin c ?

Dr. B

but what should I do then? My zinc and copper blood levels are always low. Always. Slightly higher when supplementing. And I feel an improvement of my symptoms immediately. But still the symptoms are really bad. But better then without.

Copper depletes vitamin c ?
half gallon milk a day plus ounce of liver a day should provide enough zinc and copper. actually, even a full gallon milk if you have access to lower fat milk, or milk + whey. should provide like 8-16mg+ zinc from the milk alone, and 2 or 3mg copper and 2 or 3mg zinc from the liver

Motif

half gallon milk a day plus ounce of liver a day should provide enough zinc and copper. actually, even a full gallon milk if you have access to lower fat milk, or milk + whey. should provide like 8-16mg+ zinc from the milk alone, and 2 or 3mg copper and 2 or 3mg zinc from the liver

yeah it should, but not for me. Something is wrong and I can’t find out what it is.
My zinc and copper remains low even when I get lots of it.

i have chronically high bilirubin too and I don’t know if this is connected.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals