Whenever I "hardcore" Peat, I Lose All Motivation. How To Be Both Relaxed And Motivated?

lampofred

I usually don't follow Peat guidelines 100% strictly. I make a general effort to balance PUFA with sat fat, eat as much salt as I want, and prefer animal protein over plant protein, but nothing beyond that. However, whenever I do decide to eat strictly according to his principles (only eggs, OJ, milk, potatoes, cheese, etc.), I get very relaxed and completely lose all motivation. I literally just want to lay in bed all day with warm blankets and read. I get too lazy to do any schoolwork, too lazy to do laundry, to cook, anything at all (except going out...I seem to love going out when I'm relaxed), which is why I essentially am forced to eat unhealthy so that I can get stuff done.

Has anyone experienced the same or know why this is happening? My inference is that I'm normally running on stress hormones, and fight-or-flight mode is great for getting stuff done, which is why people are extra-productive after fasting, intense exercise, or when motivated by fear. Eating well brings down these stress hormones so as our stress hormones go down, our motivation goes down. But how do we be both relaxed and motivated? That is the question...

Thanks so much for reading.

DaveFoster

Yeah, sometimes a lot, but it really doesn't help with focus/motivation. Just makes me not sleepy.
How much coffee do you drink? Have you ever gotten T or DHT checked, or any hormonal panels? How's your libido?

OP
L

lampofred

How much coffee do you drink? Have you ever gotten T or DHT checked, or any hormonal panels? How's your libido?

Sometimes 0 cups sometimes 6-7 cups a day, it fluctuates wildly. I get no withdrawal symptoms though. Only slight adrenaline symptoms if I drink on a empty stomach and I lose all sleepiness. No additional motivation, jitteriness, calmness, etc.

I've never got a test but I suspect it's on the low side. I've never easily been able to put on muscle. Libido is decent but could be much stronger.

DaveFoster

Sometimes 0 cups sometimes 6-7 cups a day, it fluctuates wildly. I get no withdrawal symptoms though. Only slight adrenaline symptoms if I drink on a empty stomach and I lose all sleepiness. No additional motivation, jitteriness, calmness, etc.

I've never got a test but I suspect it's on the low side. I've never easily been able to put on muscle. Libido is decent but could be much stronger.
Maybe you should experiment with pregnenolone and DHEA to see if they help. Labs before would be recommended.

OP
L

lampofred

But if it was a low preg/dhea issue, why would the motivation loss happen only on the days I eat strictly Peaty? Shouldn't it be there always and shouldn't it get better on my "strict" days because Peat principles are supposed increase these steroids?

DaveFoster

Inflammation can be very motivating; serotonin increases aggression, and oscillating periods of abundance and famine allows for the perfect requirement for cortisol's euphoric effects. There's more than one way to skin a cat, even applied to biology. Relying on the alternative energy pathway long-term, however, will lead to heart disease, cancer, and mental illness.

"Peat principles" will increase these steroids, but termination of a sympathetic response without adequate thyroid support will leave you feeling drained.

OP
L

lampofred

Inflammation can be very motivating; serotonin increases aggression, and oscillating periods of abundance and famine allows for the perfect requirement for cortisol's euphoric effects. There's more than one way to skin a cat, even applied to biology. Relying on the alternative energy pathway long-term, however, will lead to heart disease, cancer, and mental illness.

"Peat principles" will increase these steroids, but termination of a sympathetic response without adequate thyroid support will leave you feeling drained.

So basically there is an energy void that my thyroid can't keep up with when i eat to turn off the sympathetic nervous system. Makes a lot of sense, thanks.

I supplement thyroid already, but my t3 is low-normal, so now I have to figure out what the bottleneck is...

sladerunner69

Yeah I think the stress hormones play a role in drive and motivation. Looking at some of the most successful, ambition dbags out there like politicians and CEOs, most of them are alcoholics and cigarrette addicts and abuse happy pills. I believe stress hormones make one uncomfortable and energized and they respond by focussing on work and conning others out of there money. Many of the traits comonly associated with "masculinity" also describe the feeling of high stress hormones.

My advice to solve this would be to never rely on motivation or willpower. Rely on habit. Willpower and motivation are never constant, some days they are there other days they are not, but if you develop hatd work ethic into a habit, and you become used to always working towards goals you have set for yourself, then you dont have to worry about not having the motivation.

Plenty of times i dont have the energy for a workout or whatever and I just go through with it anyways, its a trained ability.

Waynish

I'd say exercise and reduce sugar (or at least meal frequency). I differentiate ideal health from artificially elevated pleasure from pleasurable things.

Tarmander

My advice to solve this would be to never rely on motivation or willpower. Rely on habit. Willpower and motivation are never constant, some days they are there other days they are not, but if you develop hatd work ethic into a habit, and you become used to always working towards goals you have set for yourself, then you dont have to worry about not having the motivation.

Plenty of times i dont have the energy for a workout or whatever and I just go through with it anyways, its a trained ability.

I like the habit bit. I have molded my life pretty similarly. It is amazing how much you can get done with the right habits. The difficulty is only in starting them.

sladerunner69

I like the habit bit. I have molded my life pretty similarly. It is amazing how much you can get done with the right habits. The difficulty is only in starting them.

Indeed, easier said than done I guess. I do guarantee, though, that the majority of the most successful, dilligent businessmen and thinkers and athletes all understand now to rely on motivation but actually discipline.

papaya

Yeah I think the stress hormones play a role in drive and motivation. Looking at some of the most successful, ambition dbags out there like politicians and CEOs, most of them are alcoholics and cigarrette addicts and abuse happy pills. I believe stress hormones make one uncomfortable and energized and they respond by focussing on work and conning others out of there money. Many of the traits comonly associated with "masculinity" also describe the feeling of high stress hormones.

such amazing advice!!!!!!! i'm gonna try very hard to follow it, apparently it takes 21 days to create a habit. i'm a huge procrastinator & i've realized just doing something rather than thinking(stressing) about not wanting to do it is soooo much easier, yet i still constantly procrastinate/overthink & stress about procrastinating. i need something to stop the overthinking & take immediate action & that's where habit would come into play. habit would work great when dealing with a routine(working out) but my question is, do you have any advice for dealing with little everyday things that come up? i guess i'm trying to form the habit of not overthinking & just doing something immediately without thinking about it???

jet9

I usually don't follow Peat guidelines 100% strictly. I make a general effort to balance PUFA with sat fat, eat as much salt as I want, and prefer animal protein over plant protein, but nothing beyond that. However, whenever I do decide to eat strictly according to his principles (only eggs, OJ, milk, potatoes, cheese, etc.), I get very relaxed and completely lose all motivation. I literally just want to lay in bed all day with warm blankets and read. I get too lazy to do any schoolwork, too lazy to do laundry, to cook, anything at all (except going out...I seem to love going out when I'm relaxed), which is why I essentially am forced to eat unhealthy so that I can get stuff done.

Has anyone experienced the same or know why this is happening? My inference is that I'm normally running on stress hormones, and fight-or-flight mode is great for getting stuff done, which is why people are extra-productive after fasting, intense exercise, or when motivated by fear. Eating well brings down these stress hormones so as our stress hormones go down, our motivation goes down. But how do we be both relaxed and motivated? That is the question...

Thanks so much for reading.
Lampofred, did you solve motivation problems?

Sunny Jack

I'd agree, Peating certainly makes it harder to wake up with high energy and get straight out of bed in the mornings than low-carb.

Stress-based energy (from keto, stimulants, etc.) seems to be easier in the short term, but is a deceptive shortcut. True health apparently takes more effort, but should be more rewarding in the long run, in that the same effects can be experienced without causing metabolic damage.

Wagner83

Perhaps playing with dinner macronutrients and timing can help with waking up, I'm sure the quality of sleep does as well, same for habits and not going to bed too late.

OP
L

lampofred

Lampofred, did you solve motivation problems?

Unfortunately no. Still working to increase my actual energy levels instead of having to rely on stimulants or on stress hormones.

Waynish

Stop eating after 9:30pm! Don't mistake lowering stress with seeking low stress which basically turns you into a pleasure seeker. Do what you know is correct; don't seek the sensation of relaxation.

X3CyO

Don't mistake lowering stress with seeking low stress which basically turns you into a pleasure seeker. Do what you know is correct; don't seek the sensation of relaxation.

Agreed.

Its easy to just sleep through or waste free time binging on fruit and coffee. Not everyone needs that perhaps.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals