How To Lose Fat Safely

Zigzag

Dr. Peat has said that a BMI of the high 20s is probably healthiest. In fact, nobody has yet succeeded in disproving the fact that people who are fatter actually are living longer healthier lives than thin people. Surprise. This focus on nothing but weight over health is ludicrous. It is hurting people’s health as much or more than anything I can think of.
You forgot one thing. Fat = unattractive, unattractive = you're basically losing the life.

YamnayaMommy

Are you arguing that people shouldn’t be repulsed by fat adults?

I love fat babies. I chose my avatar because my breastfed baby’s chubby legs are the most wonderful thing in the world.

you’re projecting on me too much. I call myself skinny fat mostly out of obligatory humility. I have some fat on my stomach from latest pregnancy but I’m happy with my body generally. Especially considering I’ve been pregnant or lactating since 2014. I have decent muscle and shape still and can do a pull up from standing, proper pushups, burpees, planks, squats, etc.

I really just think fatness is objectively repulsive, wasteful, unethical, etc. I used to be vegan (abandoned reluctantly because of pregnancies) and consider the animal-welfare cost sickening. In the Middle Ages, I would have led campaigns against gluttony and meat eating.

@YamnayaMommy - regarding fasting, the answer as to whether it's a good idea or who can or can't get away with it has to do with Christian Thibaudeau's groundbreaking neurotyping research.

Basically, if you're a type 1 neurotype (think cholerics, athletes, etc), you can pull off any dietary regiment, including fasting.
That's because these people naturally have very low levels of cortisol but have high levels of gaba so their body is very resilient under stress.

At the other end of the spectrum are type 3 neurotypes (think your introverted accountant/marathon runner). These guys and gals have
cortisol through the roof and very low gaba. That's why they are fond of systems and avoid conflict because they are trying to protect themselves from a stress response.

These people cannot tolerate fasting or severe dieting at all. I'm a type 2b which is close to 3 and fasting works really well for weight loss for me but it also kicks my butt and I can barely function socially while fasting.

These neurotype distinctions help explain why some "gurus" feel so passionately about a certain regimen yet other people are unable to replicate their strategy.

Vinny

There are millions of Americans who try to listen to their own body's signals and feed themselves sufficiently without ever dieting.
And yet most are overweight and many are obese. So how do we reconcile this with the hypothesis that if we feed ourselves sufficiently for a long enough time, we will attain a decent weight?

Nicole W.

I hope you're joking at this point.
I’m actually not. We are all different and ideas of beauty around the world differ greatly. Isn’t this obvious? Haven’t you ever heard the phrase “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”?

managing

I’m actually not. We are all different and ideas of beauty around the world differ greatly. Isn’t this obvious? Haven’t you ever heard the phrase “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”?
It may not be worth it @Nicole W. Barbie culture is rarely self-transparent.

managing

Just thinking out loud and trying to make sense of this ....here what's I don't understand about @Kelj premise ...

There are millions of Americans who try to listen to their own body's signals and feed themselves sufficiently without ever dieting.
And yet most are overweight and many are obese.
So how do we reconcile this with the hypothesis that if we feed ourselves sufficiently for a long enough time, we will attain a decent weight?

I had never dieted for my whole life yet kept tending to reach a set point of being overweight when I had an otherwise sedentary lifestyle.
When my job became an active one, I suddenly would eat the same foods yet lean out.

What on earth are you even talking about?

Peatful

Agreed. You are right... sigh. The constitution of the forum has really changed in recent months. It’s very disheartening.
I too have noted that...

What on earth are you even talking about?

I was watching about three threads at the same time that were very similar in content and
this reply should have probably went into one of the other ones, not this one.

Basically, it was a response to the theory that @Kelj is promoting saying that all someone that has
to do to reach a normal body weight is consume large amounts of calories and go through a temporary
weight gain stage after which the body will lean out.

And so I was disputing this idea by citing as an example all of the people all around
us who eat high amounts of calories without restriction yet never get lean.

Kelj

Is it too late for me to recover from restrictive eating behaviors? (ages 26-52) — The Eating Disorder Institute

"A meta-analysis of 900,000 subjects published in the Lancet in 2009 was able to show that those with a BMI of 22 had the lowest overall mortality rates. Interestingly, life expectancy rates drop for those below BMI 22. At BMI 17.5, the study estimated a shortened life expectancy of up to 7 years.

Other studies have already indicated that women with chronic restrictive eating behaviors die about 12 years earlier than non-ED counterparts.

Physiological effects of chronic starvation are as follows: anemia, hypoproliferative bone marrow (failure), leukopenia (low white blood cell counts), decreased thiiodothyronine, thyroxine and luteinizing hormone levels (polyendocrine deficiency syndrome), abnormal gastrointestinal motility, atrophy and possible ulceration, constipation/diarrhea and amenorrhea. Also usually present are: low basal metabolic rate, cold intolerance, abnormal calcium metabolism, osteoporosis, serum protein abnormalities, electroencephalographic abnormalities (impaired brain function) and altered skin texture and pigmentation.

Physiological effects of chronic bouts of starvation/reactive eating cycles are as follows: all of the previous list for the most part, although anemia is less likely to be present, and also hypertension, elevated low-density lipoproteins (high bad cholesterol levels), artherosclerosis (progressive deposition of fatty deposits on arterial walls, leading to heart disease) and excessive subcutaneous abdominal fat due to long term elevated serum glucocorticoid levels."

Note: the physiological effects of chronic bouts of starvation/reactive eating cycles include excessive subcutaneous abdominal fat due to long term elevated serum glucocorticoid levels.

Gary Taubs often mentions a study in the 1920's looking at why the mothers of native American children were fat when their children were obviously starving. Gary doubts that it is because the mothers were sneaking behind the barn to eat their Snickers bars. I doubt it, too. The explanation is, these families were poor. The children's body's showed the malnourishment in an obvious way. Their calorie intake was never enough to support their growth. The mother's metabolisms were suppressed. Anytime they did have a few more calories, their bodies would grow their fat organ to produce more necessary hormones.

The Minnesota Starvation experiment clearly showed that an overshoot in weight follows a period of starvation and it required higher than normal calorie intake to address the energy deficit and bring the subjects of the experiment back to their pre-restriction weights. Thereafter, the subjects would return to pre-restriction calorie intake, naturally, which for a man is never less than 3000-3500 calories, depending on age. The body simply needs that amount of energy to operate when sedentary, more when active. Anything less will lead to ill health. If one has restricted at all the energy deficit must be addressed to reverse the damage. The earth must supply these calorie amounts for the health of its people.

Sagitarrius90

Sorry I had to bump this post..

I think another thing people forget about is QUANTITY of life vs QUALITY of life.

Bringing back the comment about how athletes don't live as long as non athletes, the quality of life (this is subjective but I bet a lot of people think this way) in the athlete I bet is enormously better than the non athlete. I was ripped muscular and also somewhat chubby yet healthier with all my bio markers and being lean muscular destroys that of complete and total health. I guess it comes down to preference really

And to bring up the topic of IF, everything the one dude mentioned was long term intermittent fasting ie increased cortisol, decreased metabolism etc. I use IF time to time and it shouldn't be completely frowned upon.

Last point I wonder the health/physical activity levels/set point of some of the posters here. I've been exercising, on point with my health for years (29 years old) and I feel micromanaging actually raises you're damn stress levels lol

Calories in vs calories out - eat under maintenance 500 calories under maintenance
Low fat - eat saturated
Keep protein relatively high during a cut - stay away from muscle meats - stick to shrimp, gelatin, eggs
Fructose for liver health to help deal with the weight loss, thyroid hormones
weight lift to maintain muscle 1/3 of you're current sets/reps - lyle McDonald has a great post on how to maintain muscle on a cut

and that's it - sorry if it's more complicated for other's but no need to go insane with all these minute details. In you're defence it could be cause you are older but I am currently 200 lbs 10% roughly bodyfat 6'1.

Zigzag

what's bad in muscle meat? I cant imagine eating shrimp/gelatin/eggs and reach 120+g of protein.

Sagitarrius90

Hello All, just bumping this post. I want to know what I am missing here but I am a big believer on calories in vs calories out- that's my ideology and there's just tons of research on that being true. I am not saying stimulating you're metabolism is wrong either by peating but this is my choice here.

If I legit do nothing all day long, my caloric maintenance based off of weeks of trying to figure it out is around 2600 2700 calories (Im 200 lbs 14% ish bf I want to get down to 10%) so i'll be eating around 2000-2100 calories.

I am eating little to no fat - if I do it's either coconut oil or ghee butter
Carbs- fruits only or 0% milk
protein - 175-200 grams- mostly gelatin

is this fine? I won't be doing this long term but I don't see a lot of issues following that regime. I'll still be eating close to 300-350 grams of carbs so skim milk, OJ, oranges, apples will be the focal point there

thanks all!

redsun

Hello All, just bumping this post. I want to know what I am missing here but I am a big believer on calories in vs calories out- that's my ideology and there's just tons of research on that being true. I am not saying stimulating you're metabolism is wrong either by peating but this is my choice here.

If I legit do nothing all day long, my caloric maintenance based off of weeks of trying to figure it out is around 2600 2700 calories (Im 200 lbs 14% ish bf I want to get down to 10%) so i'll be eating around 2000-2100 calories.

I am eating little to no fat - if I do it's either coconut oil or ghee butter
Carbs- fruits only or 0% milk
protein - 175-200 grams- mostly gelatin

is this fine? I won't be doing this long term but I don't see a lot of issues following that regime. I'll still be eating close to 300-350 grams of carbs so skim milk, OJ, oranges, apples will be the focal point there

thanks all!

It's fine just some users have gotten bile problems eating very little to no fat diets for longer periods of time. They become intolerant and get very sick from fat consumption. Just be wary of that and try to always consume at least some fat. Maybe 20-25g fat a day which is still low fat but not that low.