Drugs To Treat Serious Lack Of Motivation?

Ben

For years I've thought that I didn't want to socially interact because of social anxiety. However, I have little problem with social anxiety now because of self-psychotherapy. What remains, and I think it contributed more to my problem than anxiety, is a lack of motivation. I just forgot what it feels like to have a normal amount of motivation.

Here are some symptoms:

Too lazy to make myself meals, eating a very simple diet at the moment because of this. Too lazy to make myself carrot salad although I know it would help reduce endotoxin, etc.

Too lazy to brush my teeth. Haven't done that in a month, actually.

Sometimes too lazy to get up and pee in the morning, so lying there with a full bladder is preferable.

Failing schoolwork despite ability to do well

Too lazy to do chores

Anxiety with neck stiffness and tremors, but typically not "helpless" or "surrendered". Mistook lack of motivation for this.

I experience pleasure alright, so this is purely motivational. It's hard to get up in the morning without upbeat music.

I have long-term goals, but at this rate I'm going nowhere, even with reasonable goals. Not only do I lack motivation for a better future, but the future doesn't seem bright for me if I have to work, which requires motivation. So the best thing to this state of mind is to do nothing now and do nothing later.

I tried Tianeptine, and it didn't help with motivation despite reducing serotonin. Have been doing T3 + T4 for months (now I can wear less clothing than others and stay warm), pregnenolone, niacinamide (on and off), thiamine, vitamin K, vitamin A, and vitamin D for a while; taurine, vitamin E, and progest-E recently (which didn't help). Caffeine reduces motivation even more for some reason. Have been avoiding PUFAs and eating RP-recommended foods for 3 years.

Is there any substances over the internet I can buy that are healthy (have a dopaminergic/anti-serotonergic effect for example) and can help me with this purely motivational problem? Or maybe there are such prescription drugs available in the US? I checked out Wellbutrin, but apparently it can cause anxiety in some people. SSRI's are obviously harmful, and probably would reduce motivation. SNRI's increase norepinephrine, and RP warned that adrenergic drugs are harmful. MAOI's increase serotonin. ADHD drugs increase adrenalin/norepinephrine. Don't know what other drugs are available.

OP
B

Ben

It appears that this substance works on the GABA receptors, producing an anxiolytic effect, but has no info about dopamine, involved in motivation. Did you notice an increase in motivation?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I have to give you some information about my experience with lisuride in response to your question. It may or may not be for you but if you can get input from people who have had a similar issue I believe it could help you make your own well informed decision on your next step. I started lisuride for purely physical reasons but as with Peat's entire approach I was pleasantly surprised to find that issues I really didn't realize I had were suddenly resolved or improved. I've always just had to do certain things whether I wanted to or not so motivation had really not been in my vocabulary for years. I guess I would say in hind sight I was about the most extreme case of learned helplessness around. When I first joined the forum I could hardly manage because I was so sensitive. I know if it hadn't been for forum member caroline I probably wouldn't have posted again. I needed lots of encouragement, would feel hurt very easily and just had a general outlook of the world as an unsafe place. I had taken SSRI meds from 1998-2008 and even though I was managing without them there was always something missing. I started lisuride in December of last year and felt positive results from the first dose of 1/2 tablet equalling 0.1 mg. The deep seated fears I had carried my whole life suddenly seemed small, silly, and irrelevant all at the same time. I wondered how I could have ever had such a mistaken world view. The medicine seemed to balance my system to the point where I felt more capable, self confident, relaxed and at peace. There is no high feeling whatsoever to it. These days I still pretty much do the same things I always have like go to work and pay my mortgage etc., but now I see it all in a new light and have made positive changes for my future. I have no reluctance to get out of bed because everyday does bring something positive. I don't think it was the medicine alone but the whole approach. This medicine for me has been a valuable tool for overcoming a lifetime of learned helplessness. In that regard it is very motivating. I hope this gives you one avenue to explore. It is supposed to be the safest ergot alkaloid derivative there is.

OP
B

Ben

Is it available OTC from online Mexican pharmacies like cynomel? Apparently it's prescription-only here in the US. Since it's an anti-parkinsonian agent, I wonder if my slight tremor and lack of motivation (both of which are common in Parkinson's disease, which I'm far too young to have) could be used to convince a doctor I have some problem with my dopamine system (which I probably do). I think it would be far-fetched though, it's not used widely in the US.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don't even think it is available by prescription here in the U.S. but I could be wrong. I've gotten it from medicinemexico.com and farmicia del nino.net and had no problems with either online pharmacy.

OP
B

Ben

So I'm wondering, is there anything healthy a psychiatrist can prescribe for lack of motivation, or are they all harmful or neither harmful nor beneficial? Since I know what my problem is now, I'm anxious to do something about it, and the delivery of lisuride would probably take a month. I expect phenibut to reduce anxiety, but I don't expect it to increase motivation.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I just wanted to add that if you decide to order lisuride from Mexico the name is dopergin or lisurida. I didn't want you to not be able to order it just because it doesn't show up as lisuride.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ben said:
Do you think the carbon anhydrase inhibitor is also worth ordering?
I've been taking diamox. I don't know if it helps with motivation though. I started it because I work in a high oxygen environment and I needed to increase my CO2 until I can change my situation with work. I was pretty compromised health wise too so I think I needed to kind of nudge my cells back in the proper mode of respiration. I didn't feel any type of change with it that you would associate with mental functioning although it does have some positive effects for me physically. I hate to even separate mental/physical anymore but the diamox does seem to be more noticeable physically to me. I think starting one thing at a time is generally a good idea, at least for me so I can judge how I will respond.
I also just wanted to let you know that there was never anything a physician or psychiatrist gave me that helped me in any way. Probably harmed me really. I think the main issue if you are someone that respects Peat's work is the total difference in the view on serotonin, receptors and physiology. The two are really polar opposites imo.

OP
B

Ben

I agree that there isn't a difference between the mental and the physical. Mental is physical. Connecting the mental with the physical by feeling the body energy reduces stress.

I think I'll try both then, I'm not just focusing on this one problem with motivation. Had paper bag breathing given noticeable positive effects for you? I still find it hard to believe that breathing into a paper bag 3x daily would benefit me the whole day.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ben said:
I agree that there isn't a difference between the mental and the physical. Mental is physical. Connecting the mental with the physical by feeling the body energy reduces stress.

I think I'll try both then, I'm not just focusing on this one problem with motivation. Had paper bag breathing given noticeable positive effects for you? I still find it hard to believe that breathing into a paper bag 3x daily would benefit me the whole day.
I think that bag breathing is definitely helpful. The body will adjust to higher CO2 by doing it regularly. Living at high altitude would be optimal of course. Breathing is easy to take for granted when things seem to be going well. I'm a fan of doing all we can to optimize CO2. I think it's hard to believe in because it's invisible in a sense. Best of luck to you!

TeslaFan

Too much serotonin can cause lack of motivation.
To fix that, as mentioned, Lisuride can help. Anti-serotonin drugs (Cyproheptadine, Ondansetron) will help.

pboy

drugs to treat serious lack of motivation? just go somewhere where there are pleasant beautiful girls, and talk to them...and youll forget about all your problems, at least temporarily. Then go from there. And if theres none around...maybe consider moving

im kidding but not...this is huge

OP
B

Ben

Bluebell said:
Any updates Ben?
No, none yet. I couldn't obtain Lisuride unfortunately, maybe I'll obtain it in a month or two. I was actually thinking about using more T3, but I don't know if that's a good idea. RP said 5 mcg of T3 is created an hour, and higher doses are unphysiological. Some people have to take very high doses to respond, maybe I'm one of those people, but then is it physiological for people like this to take more T3, or not? I don't know if RP ever gave his opinion on this.

OP
B

Ben

pboy said:
drugs to treat serious lack of motivation? just go somewhere where there are pleasant beautiful girls, and talk to them...and youll forget about all your problems, at least temporarily. Then go from there. And if theres none around...maybe consider moving

im kidding but not...this is huge
Hah! That's exactly a problem of mine. Nothing but old ladies and engaged young women where I live. Nothing to even challenge me, if I just wanted to challenge myself by approaching women. And guess what I actually planned to do in the next few weeks? Move to somewhere where there is lots of people so I can meet a bunch of "pleasant beautiful girls". Spot on man. RP said sensory deprivation reduces beneficial neurosteroids and all that jazz. I'm always excited about going out, maybe I'm just an extraverted person.

kineticz

When caffeine reduced motivation in me even more, it was high prolactin, high dht, high gaba, low thyroid, low dopamine, low testosterone.

Zinc helped massively. Also make sure your pregnenolone is not the oral form. This screwed me up.

kineticz said:
Also make sure your pregnenolone is not the oral form.
Do you use pregnenolone in another form, other than oral? I actually didn't know there was another form. :oops: Maybe intramuscular injection?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals