What's better, Rice or Potatoes?

Apple

This. Recently discovered parboiled rice.

From cronometer:
The left is white rice per 500 grams dry. The right is parboiled rice 500 grams dry. A large amount, which is roughly 400 carbohydrates at around 1800+ calories.

Parboiled has almost 3 times the vitamin b1 and b3: niacin, same with vitamin b6. A bit more copper and more selenium, about 2.5 times more calcium.
I emailed Ray Peat and he thought that white rice is better than parboiled. I think gelatinized starch from parboiled rice feeds bacteria.

Last edited:

Waynish

There's no right answer. I've had some very starchy rice before and some very good rice for energy. It probably depends more of what you're mixing it with. Potatoes better slow cooked.

Michael Mohn

Potatoes fryed in coconut oil or another fully saturated fat is much better than cooked, high heat destroys solanine and other anti nutrients. An air fryer would be good.

White rice is very clean but it's too easy to overeat. Without enough fruit, dairy and meats you could run into deficiencies.

VitoScaletta

I'm adamant you can't use potatoes as a starch 3x a day for a long time because of the glycoalkaloids. It's probably okay 3-4 times a week. This seems to be the traditional amount of consumption in Scandinavia for example.

You should soak rice overnight and then dump the water, boil it in 5/10x amount of water compared to the rice and after it soaks up some water dump the rest of the cooking water. This should remove a lot of the arsenic. Then you can boil it afterwards as well.

Andy316

Irrespective of cooking method, potatoes bloats me and brings some mental issues (Anhedonia type)
Parboiled rice has been really good for me, no gut issues unlike Basmati, Jasmine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals