Difficulty digesting white rice?

peatyzilian

My diet is very ''Peaty'' in general: milk, OJ, cheese, fruits, meat, eggs, raw carrots, etc. The only starchs i eat is rice and potatoes.
Tomorrow, i tried not to eat white rice (and potatoes too). Basically, i ate only meat, eggs, fruit, fruit juices and milk all day.
I noticed that after a meal with white rice (especially lunch) i feel sluggish, lazy, and usually sleep a bit after. But tomorrow, when i
not ate white rice, i didn't felt that way. I felt quite the oposite, more energetic.
Is this a sign that my body possibily don't digest well grains?

redsun

My diet is very ''Peaty'' in general: milk, OJ, cheese, fruits, meat, eggs, raw carrots, etc. The only starchs i eat is rice and potatoes.
Tomorrow, i tried not to eat white rice (and potatoes too). Basically, i ate only meat, eggs, fruit, fruit juices and milk all day.
I noticed that after a meal with white rice (especially lunch) i feel sluggish, lazy, and usually sleep a bit after. But tomorrow, when i
not ate white rice, i didn't felt that way. I felt quite the oposite, more energetic.
Is this a sign that my body possibily don't digest well grains?
Many people seem to equate the ideal to being constantly full of energy like you are plugged into an electrical outlet. This is not normal. The body always wants to stay in a parasympathetic dominant like state if it can and will not stimulate extra energy unless there is a need. Starches which provide pure glucose which all cells in the body can use tend to make you more relaxed and chill and you will have less stress hormones since glucose is being provided.

Of course if you feel the need to sleep from starches then possibly you need more protein and zinc in diet so you don't feel so narcoleptic in the middle of the day.

Phaedrus

Other than ensuring starches are well cooked, I know Peat recommends eating potatoes or rice with plenty of butter or coconut oil. That supposedly helps the digestion of (or perhaps slows the absorption of) starch. With rice you can also remove some excess starch by rinsing the grains well before cooking. You can try experimenting with those tips and see if that helps you avoid the post-meal sluggishness.

supercoolguy

Definitely Per-Rinse Rice b4 cooking. Warm water on the stove, add some salt, then dump in the rice, Tilt the pan and drag a spoon through the grain, friction will help knock off the excess starches. drain and another quick rinse. Then cook on the Soft Setting.
I include Salt, 1/2 tsp Coconut Oil, Ginger or Powdered Ginger for gut motility.

These things have helped me have a Reasonable serving (occasionally) of White Rice without that insulin dump being so dramatic.
This assumes you will consume it with other foods and you're not starving all day.

One last experiment ive had success with is Honey. Ill have a Tablespoon or Two with some milk, 15-20min prior to ANY meal, esp involving rice. Ill even add it on top of the rice, esp if I forget to consume some whilst im cooking.

Using your palm is a good way to gage a Reasonable serving, or about a Ice Cream Scoop. Experience will help you decide the amount going forward. (None at all is ok too)

Andy316

Many people seem to equate the ideal to being constantly full of energy like you are plugged into an electrical outlet. This is not normal. The body always wants to stay in a parasympathetic dominant like state if it can and will not stimulate extra energy unless there is a need. Starches which provide pure glucose which all cells in the body can use tend to make you more relaxed and chill and you will have less stress hormones since glucose is being provided.

Of course if you feel the need to sleep from starches then possibly you need more protein and zinc in diet so you don't feel so narcoleptic in the middle of the day.
100%. I enjoy a nice bowl of well cooked rice with some protein for dinner and I get excellent sleep. Definitely don't need any extra energy before sleep.

Phosphor

Fatigue is the first sign of food allergy. Also, rice contains lectins which cannot be cooked out; lectins in grains cannot, while lectins in legumes can be destroyed via pressure cooking.
A good way to test whether your body does well with something is to eat it by itself; if you don't get this reaction to any of the other things, and you do with rice, then, if it were my body, I'd think my body was telling me it didn't particularly like white rice. I eat only organic basmati from India --- and will not eat any other rice.

ElDuderino

Fatigue is the first sign of food allergy. Also, rice contains lectins which cannot be cooked out; lectins in grains cannot, while lectins in legumes can be destroyed via pressure cooking.
A good way to test whether your body does well with something is to eat it by itself; if you don't get this reaction to any of the other things, and you do with rice, then, if it were my body, I'd think my body was telling me it didn't particularly like white rice. I eat only organic basmati from India --- and will not eat any other rice.
White rice is NOT a high source of dietary lectins. That's why it's considered a "safe starch."

Phosphor

White rice is NOT a high source of dietary lectins. That's why it's considered a "safe starch."
Yet I have a lectin response to it. I cannot eat ANY food with lectins, which includes rice and the squash family along with most grains and legumes. If a person reacts to a food and can narrow down what food the reaction is to, they can choose to avoid that food, instead of going on some "knowledge" about the food that is contrary to their experience. This is what is wrong with medicine in this country --- individuals are ignored in place of test results or "facts."

Andy316

Does anyone know if rice is always aromatic (Like basmati, jasmine) or is there any rice variety with no aroma?

Logan-

High Insulin spike from pure glucose probably…

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals