What To Do For Allergies When Nothing Else Is Working?

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
Ray Peat has said in an interview that eating a pound of sugar over the course of a few days is a guarantee that you will replenish your glycogen stores. Sugar and salt are the most basic antihistamines.

I didn't know it could take days to replenish stores. In my understanding, stores empty every day routinely: upon waking up due to not eating during the night, and possibly during the day if one becomes hungry and hasn't eaten frequently enough.

He has mentioned that hypothyroidism impairs the liver's glycogen storage capacity, which is normally amazingly high.

Peata

This is part of Mittir's reply on a thread about Benadryl & Serotonin

"I have had bad allergy for a long time and only thing that surely working is
following RP style eating and very recently i have found out that large calcium
intake keeps histamine in check. I take about 2000 mg of calcium and make
sure phosphorus is lower than calcium."

Peata

More good info from Mittir in that same thread:

"PTH ( Parathyroid Hormone) increases release of serotonin and histamine.
PTH is lowered by vitamin D, Vitamin K and good ratio of calcium to phosphorus.
RP mentioned that it takes about 1500 mg calcium to lower PTH.
You also have to make sure you are getting good amount of D and K.
Liver is rich source of vitamin K, RP also said one can use well cooked
Kale every other day to get vitamin K to support aspirin use.

Gut irritation is the main source of serotonin and it also increases histamine.
Eat simple foods and avoid starch and fiber to reduce gut irritation.
Avoiding histamine rich food is very important. Seafood, Frozen fish,
even few weeks old chicken, old cheese are rich in histamine.
Coconut oil reduces histamine . Guava and orange has anti estrogenic
compounds. Estrogen and PUFA increase both serotonin and histamine.
Histamine is part of whole stress system. Just targeting histamine alone
cant work. You have to reduce the whole stress hormone system."

Kray

Peata said:
More good info from Mittir in that same thread:

"PTH ( Parathyroid Hormone) increases release of serotonin and histamine.
PTH is lowered by vitamin D, Vitamin K and good ratio of calcium to phosphorus.
RP mentioned that it takes about 1500 mg calcium to lower PTH.
You also have to make sure you are getting good amount of D and K.
Liver is rich source of vitamin K, RP also said one can use well cooked
Kale every other day to get vitamin K to support aspirin use.

Gut irritation is the main source of serotonin and it also increases histamine.
Eat simple foods and avoid starch and fiber to reduce gut irritation.
Avoiding histamine rich food is very important. Seafood, Frozen fish,
even few weeks old chicken, old cheese are rich in histamine.
Coconut oil reduces histamine . Guava and orange has anti estrogenic
compounds. Estrogen and PUFA increase both serotonin and histamine.
Histamine is part of whole stress system. Just targeting histamine alone
cant work. You have to reduce the whole stress hormone system."

Peata,

Are you supplementing calcium? I think I get enough from diet but I'm having allergies. Is it not a good idea to add more calcium to an already-high amount from diet? Any help is appreciated.

Peata

I only supplement enough to keep calcium higher than phosphorus. So some days I don't need the supplement. It depends on what I eat.

My main focus is to try to keep the calcium/phosph. ratio good, rather than getting a certain amount of calcium. That said, my range for calcium is usually 1500 - 2000.

Kray

Thanks Peata. Can you tell me what supplement/brand you use, and give me an idea of the amount of your supplemental intake on a day when you have both dairy and meat? Thanks :)

Peata

classicallady said:
Thanks Peata. Can you tell me what supplement/brand you use, and give me an idea of the amount of your supplemental intake on a day when you have both dairy and meat? Thanks :)

Nature's Way Calcium Mag & D - just something I picked up at the grocery store that had the least additives.

I use Cronometer to track my intake of nutrients. If I see the balance between calc/phosp is wrong, and I'm not wanting more dairy, then I take 1 to 3 of the supplements.

Peata

I really had a bad allergy day yesterday due to all the pollen blowing about. I thought I was going to scratch my face off. Itchy scalp around forehead, itchy eyes, nose... sneezing. I didn't take enough antihistamine earlier in day, which would have helped. Being pre-menstrual no doubt hurts, as well as I forgot Progst-E.

OP
I

ilovethesea

So I'm adding aspirin to the list of things I'm allergic to. I hadn't been taking it for a while and just concentrating the last few weeks on doing a no starch diet and taking the Cynoplus/Cytomel.

Today I thought I had the beginnings of some mild menstrual cramps so I decided I'll take 2 aspirin. As I was rushing on my way out the door I didn't bother to dissolve them in water.

Within 2 hours I'm now having some of the worst allergy symptoms I can remember - runny nose, sneezing, congestion watering eyes. I never tested aspirin in isolation like this before, but when I used to take it regularly (without dissolving and when I was eating starches also), it was never ever this bad.

Could it be that now that I stopped eating starch I've become even more sensitive to them (and excipients)? This is just generic aspirin from the pharmacy.

J

j.

ilovethesea said:
Once this round of allergies clears I'll have to do a pregnenolone test.

I wonder if doing it during the current round of allergies will make them end. But of course you have to do what your body and mind tell you.

OP
I

ilovethesea

j. said:
I wonder if doing it during the current round of allergies will make them end. But of course you have to do what your body and mind tell you.

I could try it - at this point I don't think my allergies could get any worse :(

jyb

Have you tried cyproheptadine? Seems like the basic drug for anti-allergy/serotonin/histamine etc.

OP
I

ilovethesea

jyb said:
Have you tried cyproheptadine? Seems like the basic drug for anti-allergy/serotonin/histamine etc.

Oh yes :) Mentioned that a couple pages back... ironically I am allergic to cyproheptadine :) Even dissolved in water the particles stay suspended instead of sinking, so I kind of gave up unless I can find another manufacturer.

This aspirin reaction seems to be much worse than the cypro though, which is strange. It's basically ruined my entire day and not even multiple Benadryls are helping.

OP
I

ilovethesea

paper_clips43 said:
What are your allergic symptoms when taking Cypro?
Have you looked into Cyprolisina? It is Cyproheptadine dissolved in sugar water.

The allergic symptoms are non stop runny nose/congestion and not being able to breathe through my nose for a couple days after. (Same thing as I'm experiencing now with aspirin except aspirin is more severe.) I took the cypro for about a month and the symptoms got worse the higher the dose - got up to about 16mg.

Thanks for the info on Cyprolisina. I didn't know that existed so will definitely look into it. I'm in Canada so I can get cyproheptadine here without a prescription. Hopefully the sugar water version isn't just in Mexico.

HDD

My allergies seem to correlate to weather changes. I decided to try to give up my nightly Benadryl and do trramone's bedtime idea for sleep instead. It worked great except I woke up very dizzy. Very weird. My niece who has allergies got hives the same morning. A cold front was pushing through and we realized this was the cause. Have you ever considered the allergies being caused by weather or pollen in the air?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals