What To Do For Allergies When Nothing Else Is Working?

OP
I

ilovethesea

Haagendazendiane said:
My allergies seem to correlate to weather changes. I decided to try to give up my nightly Benadryl and do trramone's bedtime idea for sleep instead. It worked great except I woke up very dizzy. Very weird. My niece who has allergies got hives the same morning. A cold front was pushing through and we realized this was the cause. Have you ever considered the allergies being caused by weather or pollen in the air?

No because they pretty much went away once I stopped starch and all other allergenic foods. I now recognize the symptoms come on after eating certain foods, either later on the same day or the next morning.

In the beginning I thought they had to be weather related, even wrote to RP asking him about that last year, but he told me it was food sensitivities and now that I finally eliminated enough foods to do proper testing I see he's right.

What's ttramone's bedtime idea?

HDD

I remember Peatarian saying that estrogen was behind all allergies.

Trramone started a thread about it. Taurine, t3, salted and sugared OJ. I decided to try it but allergy symptoms arose so I added a smaller amount of Benadryl back in. Seem to be doing good with this.

Here is the thread-
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3558

OP
I

ilovethesea

Haagendazendiane said:

Trramone started a thread about it. Taurine, t3, salted and sugared OJ. I decided to try it but allergy symptoms arose so I added a smaller amount of Benadryl back in. Seem to be doing good with this.

Here is the thread-

Oh are we talking about the same thing? I was just taking the Benadryl and Cypro for allergies not sleep (although they both help with that and cause a deeper sleep). I think my sleep is fairly ok although I do have night owl habits where I don't want to go to sleep until 1am or so... which is ok since I work my own schedule.

I'll try the OJ drink for a change. Usually I've been having ice cream or greek yogurt with honey before I fall asleep. I don't usually wake up in the night.

paper_clips43

ilovethesea said:
paper_clips43 said:
What are your allergic symptoms when taking Cypro?
Have you looked into Cyprolisina? It is Cyproheptadine dissolved in sugar water.

The allergic symptoms are non stop runny nose/congestion and not being able to breathe through my nose for a couple days after. (Same thing as I'm experiencing now with aspirin except aspirin is more severe.) I took the cypro for about a month and the symptoms got worse the higher the dose - got up to about 16mg.

Thanks for the info on Cyprolisina. I didn't know that existed so will definitely look into it. I'm in Canada so I can get cyproheptadine here without a prescription. Hopefully the sugar water version isn't just in Mexico.

Hmm yeah I think I read about that. The liquid version probably wouldn't do you any good. I really don't know for sure though.
If for some reason you did want to try it we could probably work some kind of trade out.

EDIT: AFAIK it is only available in Mexico

OP
I

ilovethesea

Haagendazendiane said:

Yes I remember reading that too. I suppose I must still have high estrogen. I've been taking Progest E for over a year but have yet to be able to suppress my period.

I guess it's also still high as my thyroid is still not right.

OP
I

ilovethesea

paper_clips43 said:
Hmm yeah I think I read about that. The liquid version probably wouldn't do you any good. I really don't know for sure though.
If for some reason you did want to try it we could probably work some kind of trade out.

I wonder if it's the starch or something else they put into the white tablets. My allergic reactions to pills have all been to white tablets. (With the exception of Cytomel and Cynoplus.) I can take Benadryl liqui gels no problem.

Are you interested in the Cypro tablets? I'm happy to send them to anyone and get hold of the liquid. The tablets are about $40-50 a bottle here and you get 100.

HDD

So while looking for the estrogen, histamine, serotonin quote for a friend that has hives and is doing a green juice fast, I found this gem. You probably already knew this but it was an "aha" moment for me. IIRC, Kiran's allergies were improved with coke and Peata saw improvement with sugar. This would also explain allergies upon waking due to lower blood sugar.

"The simplest illustration of how inflammation relates to the organism's resources was an experiment in which blood glucose was varied, while an animal was exposed to chemicals that varied from mildly irritating to potentially deadly. When the animal had very low blood sugar, the mildest irritant could be deadly, but when its blood glucose was kept very high, even the deadly antigens were only mildly irritating. Varying the blood sodium concentration had similar, but weaker, effects.

There is a tendency to see inflammation not only as a normal part of immunity, but to see it as being proportional to the nature of the antigen, except when the immune system has been primed for it by previous contact, in which case the organism will either not react at all (because it has become immune), or it will react much more violently than it did on the first exposure, because it has become allergic. But, in reality, the mere concentration of glucose and sodium in the blood (and of thyroid, and many other substances that aren't considered to be part of the immune system) can make a tremendous difference in the degree of "immunological" reaction. (bold and underline mine)

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ms.shtml

paper_clips43

ilovethesea said:
paper_clips43 said:

I wonder if it's the starch or something else they put into the white tablets. My allergic reactions to pills have all been to white tablets. (With the exception of Cytomel and Cynoplus.) I can take Benadryl liqui gels no problem.

Are you interested in the Cypro tablets? I'm happy to send them to anyone and get hold of the liquid. The tablets are about $40-50 a bottle here and you get 100.

Yes I am interesting in the tablets. Are you interested in the liquid? I am placing an order with Farmicia Del Neno sometime next week probably.

Mittir

I think regular bag breathing, high calcium intake ( other alkaline minerals are helpful too)
and avoidance of gut irritant helps with allergy symptoms.
Regular bag breathing 1-2 minutes 3-4 times a day has been
very beneficial for me. But, nothing really works when i eat wrong foods.
But keeping your blood sugar up really really helps.
Here is a RP quote on low CO2 causing histamine and serotonin release.

A quick reduction of carbon dioxide caused by hyperventilation can provoke an epileptic seizure, and can increase muscle spasms and vascular leakiness, and (by releasing serotonin and histamine) contribute to inflammation and clotting disorders. On a slightly longer time scale, a reduction of carbon dioxide can increase the production of lactic acid, which is a promoter of inflammation and fibrosis. A prolonged decrease in carbon dioxide can increase the susceptibility of proteins to glycation
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/pr ... ging.shtml

Edit: CO2 also lowers adrenaline. It is almost like a panacea. Hypothyroid person
and people living near sea level naturally hyperventilate a lot. Salt lowers
adrenaline too. Carbohydrate and good thyroid function increases CO2.

Kray

Haagendazendiane said:

Here is the thread-

Haagendazendiane,

Hello friend :)

You have trouble with oj too? I just ordered some taurine after reading this thread. It sounds like a good addition anyway. Curious about the Benadryl, can you specify how much and do you mean you add it to your drink? I've been taking about 6mg portions of a kiddie dose for skin itchies, mostly at bedtime. I had read about the lower doses being recommended by Peat as being safer. I also thought taking them over time might have a build-up effect even though in smaller doses. Thank you. :)

P.S. Very interesting about the weather change symptoms. I knew a woman years ago who said she was "allergic" to cold weather. I wish I could ask her today just what that meant, but I've wondered about weather (cold) changes and skin reactions, too. Maybe the thermostat issue of menopause....

Kray

(Kiran)

Have you tried drinking more coke? I find it helps with my allergies, my consumption of coke goes way up when my allergies are flaring.

Hi Kiran,

Do you drink the corn-syrup-free Coke (Mexican) as Peat does? Is it that big a deal if you can only get the regular US Coke? Thanks-

Kray

ilovethesea said:
classicallady said:
The cascara I've been using is this one: http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Casca ... =null&ic=6

It does have silica in it, but it hasn't given me any problems. I take 1-2 per night with a full glass of water about 1 hr before bed. I haven't been able to find where to buy those brands mentioned by Peat and others. Hope this helps.

Are you worried about the silica? viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1299

"…people taking supplements should be very careful to avoid anything with particles such as titanium dioxide or silica. […] And those things getting into the bloodstream trigger the stress hormones, and obesity is the least of the things they contribute to." - RP

I wonder if that would outweigh the benefits of the cascara. Have you noticed it made a big difference?

Sorry-- I just saw your entry! Thanks for the good tip on silica. I can't say if silica has affected me or not, but it is a good caution. Have you found a brand without it that you could share, or anyone else here on the thread? Many thanks-

kiran

classicallady said:
Hi Kiran,

Do you drink the corn-syrup-free Coke (Mexican) as Peat does? Is it that big a deal if you can only get the regular US Coke? Thanks-

Fortunately, you can only get sugar coke where I live right now, it's one of the fringe benefits.

It's a matter of how sensitive you are to hfcs and the plastic bottle. I can't make that judgement for you.

Kray

kiran said:
classicallady said:
Hi Kiran,

Fortunately, you can only get sugar coke where I live right now, it's one of the fringe benefits.

It's a matter of how sensitive you are to hfcs and the plastic bottle. I can't make that judgement for you.

Ha-- always a silver lining! I'd have to pay +$40 for a pack on amazon to get "The Real Thing"! :)

HDD

classicallady said:
Haagendazendiane said:

Here is the thread-

Haagendazendiane,

Hello friend :)

You have trouble with oj too? I just ordered some taurine after reading this thread. It sounds like a good addition anyway. Curious about the Benadryl, can you specify how much and do you mean you add it to your drink? I've been taking about 6mg portions of a kiddie dose for skin itchies, mostly at bedtime. I had read about the lower doses being recommended by Peat as being safer. I also thought taking them over time might have a build-up effect even though in smaller doses. Thank you. :)

P.S. Very interesting about the weather change symptoms. I knew a woman years ago who said she was "allergic" to cold weather. I wish I could ask her today just what that meant, but I've wondered about weather (cold) changes and skin reactions, too. Maybe the thermostat issue of menopause....

Hellooo,
I guess my posts were confusing. :oops: I was only mentioning the taurine bedtime thing because I was doing it for sleep rather than Benadryl. When I eliminated the Benadryl, I had dizziness that I thought was from allergies. I don't have a problem with OJ. I have decreased the amount of Benadryl at bedtime and it keeps the allergy symptoms away and I am sleeping well on it. Like you, I am taking about 6 mg of the children's at bedtime.

Kray

Thanks for the confirmation, and after further reading before I read your post just now, decided against the taurine. Probably more than enough in Peat foods.

Sorry if I didn't catch it before, but have you figured out your allergies to be food-related, or are they airborne? Do you do the Benadryl on an ongoing regular basis? Do you ever get a dried-out feeling (skin/mouth, etc) from taking it?

HDD

I take Benadryl when I want a good nights sleep. So, almost every night. My allergies have never been significant, although my "ms" symptoms were possibly allergy related. These symptoms corresponded with airborne allergens. I think Benadryl gave me dry mouth initially but not too bad. I just lowered my dose and it seems to do the trick. Hopefully, thyroid will be enough for sleep one day.

Kray

Benadryl has helped me some with sleep, but maybe I'm not taking it regularly enough or taking high enough dose since I've been trying to get by with the 6mg dose only at bedtime. I continue to have itchy skin which seems allergy related. I have a history of hayfever with the itchy, watery eyes, nose, and sneezing, but since I gave up grains more than 5 years ago, none of that anymore. So the skin thing is strange. I've read so many posts here of people who've benefited greatly since going Peat but seem to have more sensitivities now. And the frustration is in not knowing what the cause. This is me. :(

Lately I've incorporated some extra B3, B6. I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but there do seem to be anecdotal reports of (women) having relief from dry itchy skin using Evening Primrose Oil. I think in one of your posts you mentioned having taken it before, but when you were doing a lot of other not-so-good things, right? Doing all things Peat, virtually all SFAS, Is it crazy to consider trying EPO just for a month or so, when nothing else seems to have helped?