Stuffy Nose When Waking Up

Iceman2016

Hi everyone.

I will often have a stuffed nose along with all the other symptoms of allergic rhinitis / hay fever type allergies first thing in the morning when I wake up. It tends to get better as the day progresses.

It isn't seasonal allergies as the doors and windows of the house are normally closed and I have air conditioning running at all times. Also, it's completely independent of time of the year / season. I live in a semi-rural area and have no problems being outside all day.

I have noticed that this tends to happen when I have not slept well that night or had less than optimal sleep for a few nights in a row.

Anyone else ever have this problem? If so, has anyone been able to determine why it happens and how to resolve it?

Thanks.

WestCoaster

I have noticed it's specifically a stress/cortisol issue with me. It never fails, whenever I feel even slightly stressed, the right side of my nose gets plugged up without fail. Whenever I wake up in the middle of the night it's plugged (hence cortisol waking me up). Also without fail upon awaking in the morning it's plugged again. After I get up, hit the washroom and have a hot shower per say, the stuffiness goes away.

In the summer time, I don't do well with heat, I get hot very easily. When I'm uncomfortably hot, my nose gets plugged, but if I sit in an air condition room, it unplugs. I was more plugged up this morning because I ate so much last night and could not have breakfast, leading to getting some cold hands and feet. After I down a double sugar and cream coffee, the hands and feet warm up and the stuffiness releases.

For me anyway, I'm 100% certain it's stress related. Perhaps be more conscious of how your feeling stress wise when it's plugged up and see if there is a connection.

Edit - Next time your stuffed up, have a hit of salt and sugar (like in milk or something) or whatever you like that has both those elements to see if the stuffiness subsides.

tape your mouth closed at night. That will make you nose breathe and you'll wake up without stuffy nose.

I used first aid tape when I did this. It helps a lot. And you will never suffocate.

tara

tape your mouth closed at night. That will make you nose breathe and you'll wake up without stuffy nose.
+1
Or get a chin strap if you find that more comfortable.

LukeL

I experience the same thing and it's always one nostril that gets clogged - I also wear a CPAP for sleep apnea which I know isn't 'peaty' but I haven't found an alternative that works. I always wondered if the stuffy nose had to do with low thyroid function? Cortisol and Adrenaline seem to be likely candidates as well considering the stuffy nose only happens at night and clears up during the day...

tara

I always wondered if the stuffy nose had to do with low thyroid function?
Wouldn't surprise me. Possibly:
low thyroid function -> lower CO2 production -> lower CO2 levels -> congested nasal passages -> increased risk of mouth breathing -> lower CO2 levels -> more congested nasal passages ...

gilbert90

I have The exact same thing. Except whenever I get the blocked nose (one nostril) I also get super bloated, in both stomach and FACE? Anyone else has this? The blocked nose always go hand in hand with the bloating. The blocked nose/bloating can come in seconds, As soon as stress sets in.. I've noticed when I'm in this state I tend to breath with my chest instead of the stomach. If I eat to much before bed its always worse in the morning..then I always have so much mucus in the nose aswell.

Also heat like you said will trigger it, not only warm weather but also wearing to much when im sleeping, my theory is that heat cause me to hyperventilate and that leads to loss of Co2 and then stress sets in, also lying on my back sleeping cause this because of overbreathing. I always sleep on my stomach cause it prevents me from overbreathing. Slouching or sitting in weird positions is another trigger for me, I learnd alot from www.normalbreathing.com

So overeating and overheating is a problem for me (both cause hyperventilation)
A cold shower helps with the blocked nose and bloating for me..cause it loswers stress temporarily I guess. But I'm positive this is cortisol/serotonin-related.

Plus let me know if you get any more useful information about this problem!

Last edited:

tara

my theory is that heat cause me to hyperventilate and that leads to loss of Co2 and then stress sets in ...
I think that applies to me too, if I have too many blankets. (And too few is a different stress.)
I've noticed when I'm in this state I tend to breath with my chest instead of the stomach.
Sounds like you are aware enough of this one to be able to address it. But if you are having trouble with it, I found a belt around the chest two or three times made a huge difference to retraining this. When I first came cross the Buteyko info, I noticed I was chest breathing often. Now it is very seldom, and I notice it because it feels weird.

OP
I

Iceman2016

Wow... thanks to everyone who responded to my first post :)

Shortly after my original post, I started taking some Alka Seltzer (for the ASA as regular ASA bothers my stomach) and a tablespoon or two of gelatin along with with some honey before bed every night (for general health and sleep improvement reasons) and I have never had the stuffy nose issue occur again. I have no idea whether the two are in any way connected but I'm happy the issue has been resolved in any case.

GreekDemiGod

I have this too, since I started peating. It affects my sleep majorly. I suspect it's either the milk or histamine reactions.
Now testing some anti-histamines in my quest to get to the cause.

tara

I suspect it's either the milk or histamine reactions.
Have you tried removing/replacing the milk for a few days to see if it supports your suspicion?

OP
I

Iceman2016

Wow, I just realized it's been just over three years (!) since my original post.

I am happy to say that this problem has been completely resolved for me since that time and only flares up again if I don't sleep enough for a few days in a row, have sex too many times in a row, or over exert myself too much in physical labour a few days in a row. Therefore, this issue definitely seems connected to any time there is too much stress on my recovery capabilities and/or elevated stress hormones.

golder

Any ways of taking something pre bed to increase co2 over the night? Low dose diamox a good idea? Would that interfere with sleep quality?

Summer

Ah you fixed the problem. A cool mist humidifier has done me some good in regards to morning stuffiness.

opethfeldt

I think it's an increase in estrogen as the large amount of testosterone you make at night aromatizes. I've found it difficult to eliminate but something that has long lasting aromatase inhibition taken right before bed might help.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals