What To Do For Allergies When Nothing Else Is Working?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I dont drink fresh oj any more. It causes some kind of stress reaction. I saw people reporting it, then I stopped for a couple times and realized oj is causing me issues.

Kray

Charlie said:
I dont drink fresh oj any more. It causes some kind of stress reaction. I saw people reporting it, then I stopped for a couple times and realized oj is causing me issues.

Very interesting. Do you mean that you do NO OJ, or NOT FRESH OJ? Are there any foods you substitute to get some of the nutrient benefits of oj?

Can you remember what others described-- anything like skin rashes? I haven't stopped long enough to notice any improvements yet. I will give it a couple of weeks, at least.

kiran

Charlie said:

I got an instant allergic reaction from fresh OJ. I guess it's hard to get ripe oranges or something. The stuff that comes in a carton seems to be standardized at the very least.

Kray

kiran said:
Charlie said:

I got an instant allergic reaction from fresh OJ. I guess it's hard to get ripe oranges or something. The stuff that comes in a carton seems to be standardized at the very least.

Kiran- what kind of allergic reaction? If you don't mind, otherwise I understand. I'm just trying to figure out what is causing this red rash, and I haven't been able to link it to any other food up to this point. Thanks much :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
classicallady said:
Very interesting. Do you mean that you do NO OJ, or NOT FRESH OJ? Are there any foods you substitute to get some of the nutrient benefits of oj?

Can you remember what others described-- anything like skin rashes? I haven't stopped long enough to notice any improvements yet. I will give it a couple of weeks, at least.
Milk has a lot of the same stuff, magnesium, potassium, etc. I got a adrenaline type stress response, tons more peeing, waking up at night to pee, etc etc.

OP
I

ilovethesea

jyb said:
ilovethesea said:
Has anyone verified this with Big Papa? I ask because the thread I linked to former commenter Peatarian saying this, had corresponded with him for years... so I do trust her recommendations. I don't think she could get that wrong? She said she rinsed out the water 3 times and just ate the powder.

I believe you must have confused. Show me a precise reference so we know why.

This is the thread where she talks about throwing away the water: viewtopic.php?t=175&p=3023

Kray

Charlie said:
classicallady said:

Milk has a lot of the same stuff, magnesium, potassium, etc. I got a adrenaline type stress response, tons more peeing, waking up at night to pee, etc etc.

Ok, good to know on the milk, which I have plenty of. It's a good thing when our bodies talk to us; sometimes I just don't understand the language! :? So that no stone goes unturned to root out food issues, I found a dairy that has all Jersey, which is most likely A2 milk. At any rate, switching to a different brand, maybe I'll see some improvement in my symptoms over what I've been drinking for a while now.

Thanks again for sharing, it's all good!

kiran

classicallady said:
kiran said:
Charlie said:

Kiran- what kind of allergic reaction? If you don't mind, otherwise I understand. I'm just trying to figure out what is causing this red rash, and I haven't been able to link it to any other food up to this point. Thanks much :)

Instant congestion in the sinuses and stuffy nose. I think it was the end of the orange season...

OP
I

ilovethesea

I think I'm allergic to the cypro which is ironic considering it's supposed to reduce allergies...

I increased my dose the last few nights to 8mg and 16mg and allergies seem worse upon waking than when I take Benadryl (which doesn't do all that much). Still no improvement at all on being able to breathe through my nose at night.

I did dissolve the cypro in water but the particles just floated in the water - nothing sunk to the bottom. So I just drank it all. Did I do something wrong?

I'm really disappointed as I wanted to get the antihistamine and anti-serotonin benefit of the cypro. There aren't any ingredients listed on the label and the pharmacist didn't have a clue so I don't know what I am taking or if it's even possible to find a different type.

Do you think I should stop taking the cypro? Or do you think it could work if I take cascara? The raw carrot doesn't seem to do anything so maybe I just need something stronger. (That pharmacy in Italy did write me back, so looks like I'll be able to import cascara to Canada.)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You can look up the manufacturer on your prescription bottle I believe, I know that info is included on U.S. prescription bottles anyway. When you find out the manufacturer you can contact the company if you wish for a full list of ingredients. I had to do that before Peat and discovered some of my previous meds had gluten.

Kray

ilovethesea said:
I think I'm allergic to the cypro which is ironic considering it's supposed to reduce allergies...

I increased my dose the last few nights to 8mg and 16mg and allergies seem worse upon waking than when I take Benadryl (which doesn't do all that much). Still no improvement at all on being able to breathe through my nose at night.

I did dissolve the cypro in water but the particles just floated in the water - nothing sunk to the bottom. So I just drank it all. Did I do something wrong?

I'm really disappointed as I wanted to get the antihistamine and anti-serotonin benefit of the cypro. There aren't any ingredients listed on the label and the pharmacist didn't have a clue so I don't know what I am taking or if it's even possible to find a different type.

Do you think I should stop taking the cypro? Or do you think it could work if I take cascara? The raw carrot doesn't seem to do anything so maybe I just need something stronger. (That pharmacy in Italy did write me back, so looks like I'll be able to import cascara to Canada.)

As I read your post, wanted to make a comment about cascara. I have used cascara with great success, had to go with an available brand as I couldn't find the sources Peat has recommended. Mine is Nature's Way Cascara Sagrada 425mg. I have found it to be very effective, both quickly and gently. It seems easy enough to know from day-to-day whether I need to up the dose to 2 at bedtime, or just keep with 1 (I have only taken it at bedtime). Some nights I won't take any depending upon my magnesium intake that day (if I supplement with Mag at night I consider that my substitute for Cascara). And I'm not taking it as an ongoing supplement, but take as needed, when I feel I might be on the verge of "slowing down". Don't know why you're considering Cascara vs. Cypro, as I've never tried the latter, but for regularity purposes, I have had good results with the Cascara. My :2cents :)

kiran

Hmm, now that I think about it, I might be somewhat allergic to the cypro too. Several times I've had slight asthma right after I took the cypro. I dismissed it as something I ate, but now that you mention it...

OP
I

ilovethesea

classicallady said:
As I read your post, wanted to make a comment about cascara. I have used cascara with great success, had to go with an available brand as I couldn't find the sources Peat has recommended. Mine is Nature's Way Cascara Sagrada 425mg. I have found it to be very effective, both quickly and gently. It seems easy enough to know from day-to-day whether I need to up the dose to 2 at bedtime, or just keep with 1 (I have only taken it at bedtime). Some nights I won't take any depending upon my magnesium intake that day (if I supplement with Mag at night I consider that my substitute for Cascara). And I'm not taking it as an ongoing supplement, but take as needed, when I feel I might be on the verge of "slowing down". Don't know why you're considering Cascara vs. Cypro, as I've never tried the latter, but for regularity purposes, I have had good results with the Cascara. My :2cents :)

Thanks, just to clarify it's not an either/or - cypro is for a different purpose than cascara. (Antihistamine and anti serotonin.) The cascara would help with digestion and endotoxin. "I use Farmalabor cascara; I don't recommend it to anyone who is already in good health, but it's helpful for many people with various problems, including slow digestion or food sensitivities." - RP.

Since I seem to have major problems with the excipients in things, I'm going to order his recommended brand from Europe and not take my chances with the impure ones.

OP
I

ilovethesea

kiran said:
Hmm, now that I think about it, I might be somewhat allergic to the cypro too. Several times I've had slight asthma right after I took the cypro. I dismissed it as something I ate, but now that you mention it...

I've concluded that I'm definitely allergic to the cypro. I've been off starch now a couple weeks and tested cypro vs. Benadryl. My symptoms are much better if I use the Benadryl (Liqui Gels - they appear to have better ingredients than the tablets). On cypro especially at the higher doses (8-16mg) I get a runny nose all morning. Which is the same thing that happened to me on higher doses of Erfa. The more I take the worse it is.

So I think I will take tianeptine for now as my anti-serotonin drug, since the powder is more pure, and Benadryl as my antihistamine. I will have to do some research to see if I can find a more pure cyproheptadine. At least it is OTC here in Canada...

I wouldn't say my allergies are cured yet, but I seem to be doing better living on the very limited diet of milk, Greek yogurt, eggs, freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee, HD ice cream, Coke, honey, sugar, gelatin and cheese. (Zero starch.) I am pretty sure the cheese is giving me mild allergic symptoms so I'll have to give that up when I run out. And possibly the honey and gelatin are adding to the histamine load.

I did notice on this menu that from time to time my hands will get shaky and I'll feel a bit anxious/nervous when talking to people I don't know. I think it might be related to when I don't eat enough calories (as is easy to do on this new limited diet). Could it be a low blood sugar symptom? I don't think it's a hyper symptom as I haven't changed my dose yet. Has anyone else experienced that?

I wonder if glandular thyroid might work better for you, although verifying benefits always takes so long with new thyroid forms. You could also try that pound of sugar in three days treatment that Ray Peat has sometimes mentioned. Perhaps even try an air ionizer.

As for bag breathing, I find that the tickling sensation that CO2 produces in the nostrils seems to restore proper humidity and airflow in my airways!

P.S. have you heard about MELISA tests? They can theoretically find allergies unrelated to the usual antibodies. Memory Lymphocyte Immunostimulation Assay

OP
I

ilovethesea

Such_Saturation said:
I wonder if glandular thyroid might work better for you, although verifying benefits always takes so long with new thyroid forms. You could also try that pound of sugar in three days treatment that Ray Peat has sometimes mentioned. Perhaps even try an air ionizer.

As for bag breathing, I find that the tickling sensation that CO2 produces in the nostrils seems to restore proper humidity and airflow in my airways!

P.S. have you heard about MELISA tests? They can theoretically find allergies unrelated to the usual antibodies. Memory Lymphocyte Immunostimulation Assay

Thanks, I don't know if you read this whole thread, but I used to take Erfa NDT (one of the supposedly more "pure" brands) and it was one of the things that started off these horrific allergies actually. Turns out it's not that pure at all. I've been much improved since I switched to Cynoplus/Cytomel in December. RP proven right yet again. I wouldn't recommend NDT to anyone now.

What is the pound of sugar treatment? I haven't come across that.

I do have an air ionizer, but it doesn't do anything for me. I know I have to bag breathe more often to get more benefits from that.

I don't have a lot of confidence in allergy tests. I used to be certain my allergies were due to something environmental, but after emailing RP he said it was food. And now I think he is right. Also my hypothyroidism and 1+ yr of PUFA avoidance would increase my sensitivities. Even if I got a test done I don't know how it would change anything I am doing...

Filip1993

I get an allergic response from aged cheeses like parmesan, try to cut it out for a week or so. How much salt are you getting? I usually get anxious and cold when drinking to much without enough sodium. And if you take thyroid, aspirin and coffee you have to make sure to eat enough calories.

jyb

I dissolve cypro in lukewarm water, using 1/10 of a cup as not much water is needed. Most of the particles should sink to the bottom after a few minutes, and a small amount might float. Then filter with a cloth. I don't bother filtering the floating particles, but since you mentioned not reacting well I think its worth trying.

If I were you I'd start over with cypro at a lower dose, 4-8mg bedtime, and 1mg here and then during the day. You should feel better taking it, notice that you are digesting better and think clearer. If not, then don't take cypro.

ilovethesea said:
Thanks, I don't know if you read this whole thread, but I used to take Erfa NDT (one of the supposedly more "pure" brands) and it was one of the things that started off these horrific allergies actually. Turns out it's not that pure at all. I've been much improved since I switched to Cynoplus/Cytomel in December. RP proven right yet again. I wouldn't recommend NDT to anyone now.

What is the pound of sugar treatment? I haven't come across that.

I do have an air ionizer, but it doesn't do anything for me. I know I have to bag breathe more often to get more benefits from that.

I don't have a lot of confidence in allergy tests. I used to be certain my allergies were due to something environmental, but after emailing RP he said it was food. And now I think he is right. Also my hypothyroidism and 1+ yr of PUFA avoidance would increase my sensitivities. Even if I got a test done I don't know how it would change anything I am doing...

Sorry, I confused ERFA and IBSA :D also I wonder how pure the glandular from Thailand is. The MELISA test is thought to expose chronic metal and mold exposure, mainly. Such a high sensitivity is to be expected with stuff like mango and imported oranges, but grass fed cow's milk shouldn't be a problem after the gut is habituated!

Stuff like caramel in Coca Cola can be allergenic (or made from wheat, etc...) the stuff gives me a headache on one temple :| . Ray Peat has said in an interview that eating a pound of sugar over the course of a few days is a guarantee that you will replenish your glycogen stores. Sugar and salt are the most basic antihistamines.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals