What Is The Raw Material Cholesterol Is Made From?

Please don't just say "fat" or "amino acids."

Please don't just post a link to "cholesterol synthesis."

Please be specific.

Not dietary cholesterol. Cholesterol made by your liver.

The liver makes it, but from what?

Answer the question, what is the raw material cholesterol is made from?

meatbag

Acetyl CoA from glycolysis of glucose and Beta oxidation of fatty acids

Obviously potatoes since it's a westside thread :emoji_thinking:

haidut

Forum Supporter
Please don't just say "fat" or "amino acids."

Please don't just post a link to "cholesterol synthesis."

Please be specific.

Not dietary cholesterol. Cholesterol made by your liver.

The liver makes it, but from what?

Answer the question, what is the raw material cholesterol is made from?

As @Meatbag said the original source is Acetyl-CoA and from there through the mevalonic pathway, through squalene and then lanosterol. Here is the (rough) outline of steps.
Mevalonic acid - Wikipedia
Dimethylallyl pyrophosphate - Wikipedia
Farnesyl pyrophosphate - Wikipedia
Squalene - Wikipedia
Lanosterol - Wikipedia

So, anything that gets converted into Acetyl-CoA, which means all 3 macronutrients, but really comes down to pyruvate (from glycolysis and gluconeogenesis) and beta oxidation of fatty acids.

Mito

IMG_0689.jpg

Xisca

I thought cholesterol had to do with some steroids, hormones so.

Edit, I see it above, this is the reverse, steroids are MADE from cholesterol.

This question makes me think that when I was a young student, a blood tst showed I had to low cholesterol, and the MD told me I did not eat enough FATS, which was true at this moment; so is this true we make it more specifically from fats?

Xisca

I was not vegan and eat and ate meat
BUT I do have a bad liver, actually that was the reason why I ate little fat. I did not stand it well. Actually I discovered that good mayo solved the problem (I can even make coconut oil mayo!)
I should test it again because it was a long time ago.

Thanks for answer meatbag, and I am a meatbag as well, I love meat and hate veganism (vegans are fine, they are poeple!)

tankasnowgod

A professor who spent his career on liver research told us that the body can make all the cholesterol it needs from carbohydrates and i'm not sure why not. I think he's right especially for a "healthy" person but I personally haven't researched it that much.

Maybe one of the benefits of consuming cholesterol from animal products and saturated fats may be that it ensures you're getting the larger LDL particles used for steroidogenesis. Many bodybuilders claim that they get low testosterone from low-fat dieting. It could be not enough total calories (substrate intake) or it could be that the body is stressed and LDL production is reduced, HDL is ramped up to help recover from workouts...probably both and some other stuff to, reduced T3 associated with dieting etc.

I think Peat says low cholesterol is indicative of liver problems and low protein diets or nutrient deficiency? Where you Vegan at that time?

Anthony Colpo mentioned this study a while ago- Dietary Cholesterol and Skeletal Muscle Hypertrophy with Resistance Training: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial -- Riechman et al. 22 (1): 962.13 -- The FASEB Journal

Basically, men 50-69 ate similar diets with varying amounts of cholesterol (200, 400, or 800mg a day) and also engaged in weight training. The higher dietary cholesterol, the better the strength gains, even though all groups gained the same amount of muscle mass. So, even if you can make all you need under normal circumstances, there could be times where you would benefit from having extra from diet.

OP
Westside PUFAs
So, anything that gets converted into Acetyl-CoA, which means all 3 macronutrients

So if it can be made from protein and carbohydrate then the idea that one must eat fat to make cholesterol to then make hormones is wrong. So if you cut out one macro completely you'd always still make cholesterol.

opiath

So if it can be made from protein and carbohydrate then the idea that one must eat fat to make cholesterol to then make hormones is wrong. So if you cut out one macro completely you'd always still make cholesterol.
I would say yes.

Dietary fat helps to keep up cholesterol levels because it brings along dietary cholesterol.
If dietary cholesterol is absent the rate limiting step to cholesterol synthesis is upregulated (HMG-CoA reductase).

The raw materials for one molecule of cholesterol are:
18 moles Acetyl-CoA
16 moles NADPH
36 moles ATP

Cholesterol synthesis requires the presence of both insulin and thyroxine (T4).
It can be suppressed by high levels of cortisol or glucagon.

Kyle M

The liver doesn't make cholesterol as often as it complexes it into lipoproteins. That's what doctors and many researchers mean when they say the liver is making and secreting cholesterol.

OP
Westside PUFAs
Dietary fat helps to keep up cholesterol levels because it brings along dietary cholesterol.

But if acetyl-coa is made from amino acids and/or carbohydrate then you don't need fat to make it. And you don't want to keep cholesterol "up," you want to always be converting it into the protective steroids.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Well, yes, I think it is pretty much settled that a person can live on a completely fat-free diet. I think there is even a study making the rounds on popular press - you can live more or less fine on nothing but potatoes and water. The ketoacids in potatoes give you amino acids once ingested and there is plenty of starch to be used as carbs.

T

tca300

I've been eating under 20 grams of fat for months now without any so called fat refeed days, ( plenty of fruit and protein though ) my cholesterol was 165 as of a few weeks ago, so obviously fat is not needed.

schultz

Yah, though there seems to be this idea in the health community that you need fat for testosterone and stuff. Sugar probably is better for cholesterol than fat.

Ray always recommends sugar for cholesterol and in the podcasts has talked about Yudkin. He said he thought Yudkin's arguments were very good in regards to sugar raising cholesterol.

" was so impressed by his arguments that sugar increases blood lipids, saturated fats and cholesterol that was what started me on the idea of recommending increased sugar for people who under stress, because I had already become convinced that there was no basis at all for the connection between high cholesterol and saturated fats and atherosclerosis and heart disease and so on. And so when I would see someone deficient in progesterone, having too much estrogen and age pigment, they would often recover if they could increase their cholesterol production and the simplest way to do that was to have them eat some extra sugar"

Wagner83

Comparative effects of saturated and unsaturated lipids on hepatic lipogenesis and cholesterogenesis in vivo in the meal-fed rat. - PubMed - NCBI

These data suggest the following: a) fatty acid synthesis responds selectively to 18:0, 18:1, and 18:2; b) the inhibition of fatty acid synthesis by unsaturated fatty acids is time dependent; c) the rate of fatty acid synthesis is inversely proportional to the concentration of unsaturated dietary fat; d) prolonged feeding with a completely saturated diet will increase fecal fat excretion and hepatic cholesterol synthesis; and e) the regulation of fatty acid synthesis by dietary lipid is independent of the regulation of cholesterol synthesis.

Influence of stearic acid on cholesterol metabolism relative to other long-chain fatty acids. - PubMed - NCBI
Stearic acid is a long-chain saturated fatty acid. However, in contrast with other saturated fatty acids, stearic acid apparently does not raise serum cholesterol concentrations. Studies carried out three decades ago provided strong suggestive evidence that this was the case. More recent investigations that specifically compared stearic acid with other fatty acids in human studies have confirmed that stearic acid is not hypercholesterolemic. Stearic acid was shown not to raise low-density-lipoprotein cholesterol relative to oleic acid, which is known to be neutral in its effects on cholesterol concentrations. In contrast, palmitic acid, another long-chain saturated fatty acid, definitely raises cholesterol concentrations. For this reason, fats rich in stearic acid might be used in place of those high in palmitic acid in cholesterol-lowering diets.

Aside of reducing dietary cholesterol intake, what else could be done for increasing raw hepatic cholesterol synthesis from lanosterol? In order to improve available 7-dehydrocholesterol levels and so increasing its conversion to cholesterol sulfate through sunlight reaction.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals