1. 10% Discount At RedLightMan.com For Ray Peat Forum Members!
    Click Here For More Information
    Dismiss Notice

What Is The Raw Material Cholesterol Is Made From?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Health Discussions' started by Westside PUFAs, May 17, 2017.

1. Westside PUFAs

Westside PUFAs Member

Please don't just say "fat" or "amino acids."

Please don't just post a link to "cholesterol synthesis."

Please be specific.

Not dietary cholesterol. Cholesterol made by your liver.

The liver makes it, but from what?

Answer the question, what is the raw material cholesterol is made from?

2. Meatbag

Meatbag Member

Acetyl CoA from glycolysis of glucose and Beta oxidation of fatty acids

3. Diokine

Diokine Member

4. Meatbag

Meatbag Member

protons, neutrons, and electrons....we must go deeper

5. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Obviously potatoes since it's a westside thread :emoji_thinking:

6. haidut

haidut Member

As @Meatbag said the original source is Acetyl-CoA and from there through the mevalonic pathway, through squalene and then lanosterol. Here is the (rough) outline of steps.
    Mevalonic acid - Wikipedia
    Dimethylallyl pyrophosphate - Wikipedia
    Farnesyl pyrophosphate - Wikipedia
    Squalene - Wikipedia
    Lanosterol - Wikipedia

So, anything that gets converted into Acetyl-CoA, which means all 3 macronutrients, but really comes down to pyruvate (from glycolysis and gluconeogenesis) and beta oxidation of fatty acids.

7. Mito

Mito Member

8. Xisca

Xisca Member

I thought cholesterol had to do with some steroids, hormones so.

Edit, I see it above, this is the reverse, steroids are MADE from cholesterol.

This question makes me think that when I was a young student, a blood tst showed I had to low cholesterol, and the MD told me I did not eat enough FATS, which was true at this moment; so is this true we make it more specifically from fats?

9. Meatbag

Meatbag Member

A professor who spent his career on liver research told us that the body can make all the cholesterol it needs from carbohydrates and i'm not sure why not. I think he's right especially for a "healthy" person but I personally haven't researched it that much.

Maybe one of the benefits of consuming cholesterol from animal products and saturated fats may be that it ensures you're getting the larger LDL particles used for steroidogenesis. Many bodybuilders claim that they get low testosterone from low-fat dieting. It could be not enough total calories (substrate intake) or it could be that the body is stressed and LDL production is reduced, HDL is ramped up to help recover from workouts...probably both and some other stuff to, reduced T3 associated with dieting etc.

I think Peat says low cholesterol is indicative of liver problems and low protein diets or nutrient deficiency? Where you Vegan at that time?

10. Xisca

Xisca Member

I was not vegan and eat and ate meat
    BUT I do have a bad liver, actually that was the reason why I ate little fat. I did not stand it well. Actually I discovered that good mayo solved the problem (I can even make coconut oil mayo!)
    I should test it again because it was a long time ago.

Thanks for answer meatbag, and I am a meatbag as well, I love meat and hate veganism (vegans are fine, they are poeple!)

11. tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod Member

Anthony Colpo mentioned this study a while ago- Dietary Cholesterol and Skeletal Muscle Hypertrophy with Resistance Training: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial -- Riechman et al. 22 (1): 962.13 -- The FASEB Journal

Basically, men 50-69 ate similar diets with varying amounts of cholesterol (200, 400, or 800mg a day) and also engaged in weight training. The higher dietary cholesterol, the better the strength gains, even though all groups gained the same amount of muscle mass. So, even if you can make all you need under normal circumstances, there could be times where you would benefit from having extra from diet.