Low cholesterol is dangerous (cancer, suicide) + artichoke extract

cs3000

Ray peat posted before about this: Cholesterol, longevity, intelligence, and health.

"In the last 20 years, there have been many studies showing that lowering cholesterol increases mortality, especially from cancer and suicide, and that people with naturally low cholesterol are more likely to die from cancer, suicide, trauma, and infections than people with normal or higher than average cholesterol."

The increased mortality from accidents and suicide when cholesterol is lowered is reminiscent of the problems seen in progesterone deficiency, and it's very likely that a deficiency of the neurosteroids accounts for it. A deficiency of progesterone and other neurosteroids (the steroids synthesized by the nerves themselves) causes depression of mood and impaired learning ability, among other neurological changes.
As was the case with cancer, the pharmaceutical industry continues to deny that their anticholesterol drugs cause suicide, depression, and dementia, but there is a large amount of evidence from human as well as animal studies showing that mood and intelligence are depressed by lowering cholesterol. Simply injecting cholesterol into animals can improve their learning ability. In the Framingham heart study of 1894 people extending over a period of about 20 years, people with cholesterol naturally in the "desirable" range, below 200 mg.%, scored lower on "verbal fluency, attention/concentration, abstract reasoning, and a composite score measuring multiple cognitive domains" than those with higher cholesterol (Elias, et al., 2005).

haitdut too Low Cholesterol Ups Cancer Risk - Role Of Pregnenolone

I came across this very informative article on studies about low cholesterol in humans: The Truth about Low Cholesterol – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
The amount of studies linking low cholesterol to suicide is wild

I'm dropping the artichoke extract i recently started for bile after seeing this, as artichoke extract significantly lowers cholesterol: https://naturalpharma.bio/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/kraft1997.pdf

"There are numerous clinical hints of lipid lowering effects by artichoke leaf extract preparations. They work by affecting hepatic cholesterol synthesis."
Cholesterol dropped ~15% in 6 weeks from artichoke extract.
https://eprints.worc.ac.uk/7148/2/The effect of artichoke on lipid profile.pdf
https://www.researchgate.net/public...af_extract_for_treating_hypercholesterolaemia

Cholesterol is also used in vitamin d synthesis. and is needed to make bile acids (in small amounts, but who knows maybe this is effected with low cholesterol too).

Seems hard to raise through diet (sugar doesn't actually do much in a lot of the studies).
pregnenolone if works the same way orally would be a good idea if low in cholesterol. i know ray peat mentioned he takes high dose. but i've felt anxiety increase from pregnenolone at 25mg / 50mg daily after the initial improvements reverse from the first few days, allopregnenolone can have opposite effects depending on dose if that's responsible, haidut posted it activates better when either low or high but not in the middle and synthesis of things from it varies a lot individually so takes some dose experimenting.
anyway if synthesis is impaired with low cholesterol , while looking to raise it ppl could look to replace 50% of natural pregnenolone production. maybe 10mg or 15mg would be enough for that, but can't find much on natural levels of production daily. and replace vitamin D while cholesterol production gets impaired. and take something for bile (THAT DOESN'T LOWER CHOLESTEROL LIKE ARTICHOKE DOES).

Last edited:
Ray peat posted before about this: Cholesterol, longevity, intelligence, and health.

"In the last 20 years, there have been many studies showing that lowering cholesterol increases mortality, especially from cancer and suicide, and that people with naturally low cholesterol are more likely to die from cancer, suicide, trauma, and infections than people with normal or higher than average cholesterol."

The increased mortality from accidents and suicide when cholesterol is lowered is reminiscent of the problems seen in progesterone deficiency, and it's very likely that a deficiency of the neurosteroids accounts for it. A deficiency of progesterone and other neurosteroids (the steroids synthesized by the nerves themselves) causes depression of mood and impaired learning ability, among other neurological changes.
As was the case with cancer, the pharmaceutical industry continues to deny that their anticholesterol drugs cause suicide, depression, and dementia, but there is a large amount of evidence from human as well as animal studies showing that mood and intelligence are depressed by lowering cholesterol. Simply injecting cholesterol into animals can improve their learning ability. In the Framingham heart study of 1894 people extending over a period of about 20 years, people with cholesterol naturally in the "desirable" range, below 200 mg.%, scored lower on "verbal fluency, attention/concentration, abstract reasoning, and a composite score measuring multiple cognitive domains" than those with higher cholesterol (Elias, et al., 2005).

I came across this very informative article on studies about low cholesterol in humans: The Truth about Low Cholesterol – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

I'm dropping the artichoke extract i recently started for bile after seeing this, as artichoke extract significantly lowers cholesterol: https://naturalpharma.bio/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/kraft1997.pdf

"There are numerous clinical hints of lipid lowering effects by artichoke leaf extract preparations. They work by affecting hepatic cholesterol synthesis."
https://www.researchgate.net/public...af_extract_for_treating_hypercholesterolaemia

Cholesterol is also used in vitamin d synthesis. and is needed to make bile acids (in small amounts, but who knows maybe this is effected with low cholesterol too).

Seems hard to raise through diet (sugar doesn't actually do much in a lot of the studies).
pregnenolone if works the same way orally would be a good idea if low in cholesterol. i know ray peat mentioned he takes high dose. but i've felt anxiety increase from pregnenolone at 25mg / 50mg daily after the initial improvements reverse from the first few days, allopregnenolone can have opposite effects depending on dose if that's responsible, haidut posted it activates better when either low or high but not in the middle and synthesis of things from it varies a lot individually so takes some dose experimenting.
anyway if synthesis is impaired with low cholesterol , while looking to raise it ppl could look to replace 50% of natural pregnenolone production. maybe 10mg or 15mg would be enough for that, but can't find much on natural levels of production daily. and replace vitamin D while cholesterol production gets impaired. and take something for bile (THAT DOESN'T LOWER CHOLESTEROL LIKE ARTICHOKE DOES).
Eggs are known for raising cholesterol. Good post!

Jigend

I can't read the whole thing right now, but couldn't the artichoke extract have "lowered cholesterol" by increasing its conversion into hormones? In that sense, artichoke could prove to be quite beneficial

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals