If by some miracle you have managed to raise your cholesterol, please let us all know.

cs3000

That's only because that's how much dietary cholesterol they tested. Had they tested up to 2000mg of dietary cholesterol they would've found an increase as well. Generaly dietary cholesterol is hypercholesterolemic up to about 1600-1800mg a day. Even beyond that it will still increase your total cholesterol and LDL, but there will be greater and greater diminishing returns.

The orange juice is not doing OP any favor as well. The only research I have found that OJ (or sucrose in general) increases blood cholesterol level is via intake of upwards of 200g (aka exceeding liver glycogen storage capabilities) of sucrose a day and then it will increase your liver cholesterol, which is the last place where you'd want it. OJ can actually decrease your cholesterol levels because of the various flavonoids or soluble fiber. I have no idea how Ray came up with this drink OJ to increase cholesterol. You will not raise your LDL with it and that's the type of cholesterol you want for hormone synthesis and proper functioning.

A very eay protocol for raising cholesterol is:
- at least 50g of dairy fat from BUTTER > CHEESE, but NOT milk.
-
6-8 eggs/egg yolks a day.
- decreasing dietary fiber to below 10g a day or completely removing it.
HDL also binds endotoxin & plays a role in immunity and lowering inflammation. which is why it can go up with exercise, and alcohol etc, and has inverse association to mortality. so both large LDL and HDL are good, & the increase in HDL from OJ can be beneficial. the study a couple posts up was from 750ml daily & showed increase in blood HDL cholesterol so that's probably why ray peat mentions it. not impactful for increasing total cholesterol but still a good addition alongside other stuff going by that

Dietary cholesterol and cardiovascular disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis - PubMed this is where i read about the 900mg cutoff point Dietary cholesterol statistically significantly increased both serum total cholesterol (17 trials; net change: 11.2 mg/dL; 95% CI: 6.4, 15.9) and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (14 trials; net change: 6.7 mg/dL; 95% CI: 1.7, 11.7 mg/dL). Increases in LDL cholesterol were no longer statistically significant when intervention doses exceeded 900 mg/d

either way if you eat 900mg or 2200mg cholesterol like that guy (if u tolerate eggs without the choline causing depressed mood, or chicken liver has ~500mg per 100g) then you probably see a ~+10% or the +15% LDL increase that his results showed

not much by itself but another extra increase.
i'm still looking for something that brings it up a lot. 50g butter + dietary cholesterol probably brings it about 1/2 way to where I wanna get it >5.2mmol. exercise impact varies a lot in studies. the coffee oil was a good impact until i saw about the liver damage. its probably rising in response to that.
maybe beef tallow

Last edited:

Vanset

HDL also binds endotoxin & plays a role in immunity and lowering inflammation. which is why it can go up with exercise, and alcohol etc, and has inverse association to mortality. so both large LDL and HDL are good, & the increase in HDL from OJ can be beneficial. the study a couple posts up was from 750ml daily & showed increase in blood HDL cholesterol so that's probably why ray peat mentions it. not impactful for increasing total cholesterol but still a good addition alongside other stuff going by that

Dietary cholesterol and cardiovascular disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis - PubMed this is where i read about the 900mg cutoff point Dietary cholesterol statistically significantly increased both serum total cholesterol (17 trials; net change: 11.2 mg/dL; 95% CI: 6.4, 15.9) and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (14 trials; net change: 6.7 mg/dL; 95% CI: 1.7, 11.7 mg/dL). Increases in LDL cholesterol were no longer statistically significant when intervention doses exceeded 900 mg/d
Yeah, no problem with HDL. However I think (I might be wrong here) the context was that someone was asking Ray how to increase cholesterol for hormone production and he replied with OJ, which is just plain wrong.

I don't have cites, because I didn't save research at that time, but I promise you that dietary cholesterol above 900mg does and will increase total cholesterol and LDL even more. Try it.

The key factor is lowering fiber intake as well and eating your cholesterol containing foods away from fiber sources.

Last edited:
Z

Zsazsa

OJ will only raise triglycerids, thus raising total cholesterol in an undesired way.

Vitamin B3 is taken to lower it, so if anyone wants to raise cholesterol, should not supplement with it.