Every 5% Increase Of Total Calories From Saturated Fat Associated With Higher Risk Of Mortality

Birdie

Same for me with real apples, did you try filtered juice? I think they can be quite allergenic but not sure why exactly (it's a heavily pesticided fruit), some makes the inside of my throat itch.
I use filtered. Yes, I remember Peat was talking about looking out for allergens in your apple juice.
I just use Martinelli's. Don't have a problem with it that I can notice.
In cold weather I'll heat it a little. That's most of the time where I live.

Ella

Forum Supporter
You were saying that 30% body fat is optimal, why you want to lose we weight?
Note, Ray said around 30% fat (or was that BMI) was OK for females. My BMI is 31% which places me in the obese range. If we are looking at risk for diabetes or heart disease then a waist circumference <35 inches for females reduces your risk. Carrying fat on your hips is not a concern but thicker waist is. My waist circumference is just in at 33 inches. Still, I am not convinced that I should be relying on any of these metrics. Ray said that a ratio of sat fats : unsat fats of 1:1 is good, so this is what I am aiming for. I want to increase exercise levels to keep my body strong (get muscles to burn more fat) but not planning on reducing my calories; only the window of time I consume my food and tweaking macros for breakfast, lunch & dinner. I was doing six meals daily when I lost weight, so I see how I go with 3 meals/day. I will do a lipid profile and work by this rather than my scales.

I like pickles, but hard to get here without vinegar.

What's wrong with vinegar, it is a fermented product, lots of potassium + other good stuff. If you make your own with calcium hydroxide, you get the calcium, potassium and sodium from added salt along with sugar. That's all your alkaline minerals bar the magnesium. Many herbs and spices are high in magnesium. 2 tabs of Irish Moss has 14.4 mg magnesium and 1 tabspn of ginger is nearly 10mg. Also, the acetate is beneficial for the immune system and has been shown to reduce asthma. The benefits of a Mediterranean diet was attributed to the consumption of olive oil but it may well be due to the vinegar that is used alongside the oil.

Mediteraneans eat lots of pickled foods. From my own traditional culture (Italian) pickled vegetables or giardiniera is served as an antipasto, or appetiser. This makes good nutritional sense from a wellness perspective when you read the link below. Fresh, garden cauliflower, celery, carrots, bell peppers, hot peppers are the staples of Italian giardiniera. Then there's marinated eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms. The Greeks pickle their famous quail eggs which are adorable. I pickle chook eggs when I have a glut. This means I can still eat eggs when the chooks are not laying. Giardiniera is considered an appetiser served before the main meal or a side dish. It gets the stomach juices going ready for digestion. When you have a garden, summertime is a busy time for preserving your bounty for the dormant winter months. If you have prepared well, you wil
l have plenty of vegetables and fruits to enjoy throughout the winter months. I have to keep my goodies under lock and key otherwise when the kids come over they eat through my stash. At least I have peace of mind they don't go hungry and they can't buy food that can compete with mine. I have just been reviewing the literature on glyphosate and funnily enough, my investing newsletter arrived with an article on GMO seeds and China's need to feed her population. It is up to us to say NO, we don't want these foods. We must protect our land. They have pushed farmers off their lands. The Chinese are buying all our farms and these farms will be growing roundup resistant plants. The brave people that speak up and risk doing the research will get themselves killed as the push to spread these GMO crops is enormous.

People make fun of me because I work so hard to get food on the table. They say, potatoes are so cheap to buy, why do you break you back growing them. Just buy chicken from the chicken shop, you can get it on special at certain times of the day. Why stress out preparing Christmas lunch when you can have it cheaply catered for. These people are ignorant and living the good life and don't understand why they are sick, their kids, friends and family are sick.

No thank you, why should I subject my body to toxic food when I can eat the best that nature has to offer me. As a mother and grandmother, protecting my children and grandchildren's health rests squarely on my shoulders. I feel guilty for bringing children into this god-forgotten world. Today is a beautiful autumn sun filled day and feels like paradise on earth, however, my fear for future generations is great. All I can do is to make them strong and robust to resist whatever forces are out there that conspire to control our existence on this planet. When we are weak, hope is hard to find and the future looks bleak.

I no longer give my fruit and vegetables away to these people. They arrive on my doorstep expecting that I will give them bags of fruit and vegetables. I have to listen to them whinge and complain about all their ills, aches and pains. They don't even offer to pick it themselves, knowing that I work hard to produce it. They have no idea the love, care and back breaking work that is required to produce it. "Oh your are so lucky". It is not luck, it is shear hard work, while they leisurely drink their coffee and read the paper at the local cafe or get massages to ease their aches and pains. **** them, go eat your glyphosate, pufa laced food. What I don't pick, the birds, chooks and animals can have and what's left gets composted to feed soil microbes and worms.

I am planning to move the chook shed, so I need a machine to come in and level the new area and think about which fruit trees to grow there. Needs to be fruit that will produce good quality eggs. I have planted broad beans. I don't grow them for eating though many people love them. I plough these back into the soil for green manure. Swiss chard is starting to come back again. I will be planting out seedlings from pak choy, cauliflower, cabbage, rocket, leeks and variety of different onions. Need to pull out eggplants and prepare for potatoes. Plan on growing heaps of potatoes for making my potato juice. Need to net citrus trees with frost nets. Just finished grapes. Currently harvesting quinces. These will keep 3 months so I don't have to cook immediately. They are lovely with stewed apples or apple & quince pie on cold winter nights with custard. I make marmalade with them but not a fan on the paste. I need to find more recipes. Also lots of tamarillos. I have lots of baby lambs being born at the moment, so I will be slaughtering the older ones for meat to see us through the winter. We will have fresh lamb's fry and other organs which you can't buy. Lamb's brains for breakfast - yum! Gelatin from shanks. Here's the lowdown on vinegar.
Vinegar: Medicinal Uses and Antiglycemic Effect
I will let you know my thoughts on lactic acid bacteria in my next post as I don't consider them benign as the hype makes them out. Sorry to disappoint, but our man Ray is right on this one.

whodathunkit

Ella said:
I will let you know my thoughts on lactic acid bacteria in my next post as I don't consider them benign as the hype makes them out.
Definitely not all that benign. I went through a spree last summer where I was fermenting my own kefir from raw milk from a small farm near here, and I was giving some of it daily to my dogs. One of my dogs developed a severe arthritis limp and a lot of signs of inflammation around that time. There were definitely other things going on, but even with anti-inflammatory analgesic the limp didn't get significantly better until I finally made the potential connection between that and the kefir, and stopped it.

We all started doing better after stopping the kefir. I also think the milk had hormones in it even though they said it didn't, but my gut feeling (pun intended) was that the lactobacilli wasn't doing us much good, especially my one dog.

Note

So what would you recommend instead of fermented foods to help gut?

Travis

If that study was done with Americans, an increase in saturated fat likely correlates to an increase in cooked beef and Crisco™ (donuts and ***t).

The chain length matters a good deal. The short-chained saturated fatty acids in coconut get metabolized very quickly. Coconut-eating cultures from Indochina and Goat-milk-drinking cultures in the Balkans have a respectable longevity, and they're skinny.

The long-chained fatty acids, but not short-chains, in Beef take longer to metabolize and are somehow associated with a raise in total serum cholesterol (it would be silly to think that this increases cholesterol synthesis. What is more likely is that long-chained saturated fats (C₁₆ and higher) increase the lipoprotein's affinity for cholesterol. This amounts to a recomparmentalization of cholesterol from the liver, into the blood.)

I wouldn't be concerned much about this association unless you eat ¹⁄₂ cow per day or an ounce of Crisco™. If you eat enough vitamin C, limit salt, and have a low-stress environment you are basically immune to cardiovascular disease.¹

You would have to do a multivariate analysis to determine what else is associated with that rise in mortality and saturated fat intake. There could be something with an even higher correlation: like donuts, frosting, Crisco™, listening to Bon Jovi more than once per week, or homogenized milk.

¹A Unified Theory of Human Cardiovascular Disease Leading the Way to the Abolition of This Disease as a Cause for Human Mortality
Matthias Rath M.D. and Linus Pauling Ph.D.

Last edited:

rei

Saturated Fat - Brain Booster or Brain Killer? - The Energy Blueprint

The largest study on saturated fats and total longevity showed that: “When compared with carbohydrates, every 5% increase of total calories from saturated fat was associated with an 8% higher risk of overall mortality” from causes like Alzheimer’s disease, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. [10]

"What does this mean? It means that your brain does need cholesterol and saturated fat, but it makes its own when it needs it.

Roughly 7% of your circulating cholesterol comes from your diet. Your brain is not dependent on your diet for cholesterol. Your brain makes its own cholesterol as needed and that cholesterol is made from different constituents than the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

Saturated fats are not a health food and there is no credible evidence suggesting that they will protect your brain from aging or help it work better."
No, it tells us how useless these kind of questionnaire studies are. Some grain-fed pork with overwhelming majority of MUFA/PUFA is labeled saturated fat.