What Is The Raw Material Cholesterol Is Made From?

J

James IV

How do you prevent blood sugar crashes when fasting and hypoglycemic reactions? I assume that's not part of the protocol?

Are you sure you're having them? Have you gotten a picture of your daily glucose curve with a glucometer?

raypeatclips

Are you sure you're having them? Have you gotten a picture of your daily glucose curve with a glucometer?

I've not heard of a glucose curve before, how many times do you need to test to get the curve? When you fast and get hungry do you just ignore the feelings or is the plan to eat so much you don't feel hungry during the fasting period?

superhuman

When you IF your blood sugar does not crash right away. Cortisol and adrenaline kick in to prevent it so you mobilize sugar from liver etc. It does take around 24 hours give or take to deplete glycogen. So you want get those blood sugar crashes.

I have done more fasting then anyone here on this forum so i know that for sure :D

But i have not figured in terms of metabolism and all that if it has a benefit or not in terms of IF or fasting and all that.

Travis

Here's a Peat quote for those considering whether a relatively high-fat or high-carbohydrate is right for you.
Adaptation to hypoxia or increased carbon dioxide limits the formation of lactic acid. Muscles are 50% more efficient in the adapted state;
glucose, which forms more carbon dioxide than fat does when oxidized,, is metabolized more efficiently than fats, requiring less oxygen.

A R T I C L E
Mitonchondria and mortality:

meatbag

Actually, the acetate used to synthesize cholesterol comes from fructose rather than from glucose.

This was highlighted by Pauling in his book "How to live longer and feel better" where he cited 2 experiments by Milton Winitz ( 1964 and 1970) where he proved with human volunteers that the feeding of sucrose (fructose + glucose) yielded higher cholesterol blood concentrations than just glucose alone ( calories adjusted).

Pauling proposed to lower the consumption of table sucrose in order to cut on the incidence of atherosclerosis, and thus of heart attacks.

Which is of course wrong, since the concentration of cholesterol has nothing to do with either atherosclerosis incidence or heart attacks, as was proved by Uffe Ravnskov.

Thanks! I'm checking this out

J

James IV

I've not heard of a glucose curve before, how many times do you need to test to get the curve? When you fast and get hungry do you just ignore the feelings or is the plan to eat so much you don't feel hungry during the fasting period?

Glucose curve is how your blood sugar looks after meals. It should go up, then come back down to baseline in a timely manner. If it goes way up and stays up, or spikes and crashes, these are things to address.
No. Don't try to overeat to compensate for the fasting period. This is the worst approach. If you are truly hungry, eat. Just try to extend the time between meals as you get more comfortable eating less often.

yerrag

Does Vitamin E come mostly from PUFA sources? I've read some articles that says coconut oil is rich in Vitamin E, but there are no references. Vitamin E seems to be a mystery to me. I don't even think Ray Peat has expounded much on good Vitamin E sources. Funny thing is Ray says Vitamin E is more than just an antiozidant. According to him, t is classified by the FDA as an antioxidant because it does not want Vitamin E to be classified as an anti-estrogen, as I recall. That does not make Vitamin E unimportant at all.

Me: The vitamin E in supplements are usually sourced from either soy or from wheat. Are there other sources of vitamin E from food? I can't find any good information on food that are good sources of vitamin E. My impression is that vitamin E can only be found in plants that have plenty of PUFAs. Once, you had mentioned that coconut oil contains Vitamin E, but I can't find supporting documents or articles saying so. If they were mentioned, it doesn't detail how much vitamin E is in them. I suspect that the vitamin E is in the sterols found in coconut, as part of the isoprenes available in plants. Am I right?

Ray: It’s removed in the refining. I asked a coconut oil producer in Mexico what he did with the diatomacous earth after it’s used in the refining, and he said he sold it to a chemical company.

I guess I'll just have to take the coconut milk then for vitamin E, not coconut oil. Ray also cautions against eating coconut meat, because of allergens in the protein.

L

lollipop

Me: The vitamin E in supplements are usually sourced from either soy or from wheat. Are there other sources of vitamin E from food? I can't find any good information on food that are good sources of vitamin E. My impression is that vitamin E can only be found in plants that have plenty of PUFAs. Once, you had mentioned that coconut oil contains Vitamin E, but I can't find supporting documents or articles saying so. If they were mentioned, it doesn't detail how much vitamin E is in them. I suspect that the vitamin E is in the sterols found in coconut, as part of the isoprenes available in plants. Am I right?

Ray: It’s removed in the refining. I asked a coconut oil producer in Mexico what he did with the diatomacous earth after it’s used in the refining, and he said he sold it to a chemical company.

I guess I'll just have to take the coconut milk then for vitamin E, not coconut oil. Ray also cautions against eating coconut meat, because of allergens in the protein.
Would you put this in the Ray Peat Advice thread so there is a record of this conversation @yerrag? That would be awesome for later reference.

yerrag

Would you put this in the Ray Peat Advice thread so there is a record of this conversation @yerrag? That would be awesome for later reference.
I've got 6 of them. I'll put them in. It's good to be in that repository. Thanks Lisa.

Amazoniac

- Cholesterol precursors: more than mere markers of biosynthesis

upload_2019-5-11_14-38-20.png

Amazoniac

- Regulation of cholesterol homeostasis

"The liver has been considered the major site of control in maintenance of cholesterol homeostasis (Dietschy et al., 1993). The liver facilitates clearance of (very) low density lipoprotein ((V)LDL) particles and cholesterol-containing chylomicron (CM) remnants, synthesizes cholesterol, synthesizes and secretes (nascent) high density lipoprotein (HDL) particles, secretes cholesterol and BS to bile and is involved in reverse cholesterol transport (RCT) (Glomset, 1970). RCT is classically defined as the process by which cholesterol from peripheral tissues is transported to the liver, followed by excretion via bile to feces in the form of neutral sterols and BS. In recent years, however, the importance of the intestine in many aspects of cholesterol physiology is increasingly recognized. The intestine has a major impact on cholesterol homeostasis at the level of cholesterol (re-)absorption, fecal excretion and de novo synthesis (Kruit et al., 2006)."

"Virtually every mammalian cell synthesizes cholesterol; in most animals the main part being synthesized in extrahepatic organs (Dietschy et al., 1993; Spady and Dietschy, 1983; Turley et al., 1981)."

"In humans the liver is thought to contribute only around 10% to whole body synthesis (Dietschy et al., 1993) (10 mg/kg/day, see Tables 3 and 4). Low rates of local synthesis relative to the rates of uptake of newly synthesized cholesterol from blood in rats were found in adrenal glands, spleen, lung and kidneys. These organs increase their cholesterol synthesis when circulating levels of plasma cholesterol are decreased (Turley et al., 1981)."

upload_2019-5-14_8-38-7.png
"The physical chemistry of biliary cholesterol may influence its absorption in the intestine. It has been questioned whether dietary cholesterol is absorbed to the same extent as biliary cholesterol. Whereas micellar biliary cholesterol is readily available for absorption, dietary cholesterol first has to be released from food oils or tissue membranes. Elegant isotope infusion studies in rats, however, showed that only on high cholesterol diet dietary cholesterol is relatively malabsorbed compared with biliary cholesterol. On low and moderate cholesterol enriched diets micellized and nonmicellized cholesterol appear in lymph in similar amounts (Wilson and Rudel, 1994)."​

- Cholesterol: Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Pathology (978-1483250977)

upload_2019-5-14_8-38-22.png

- Revisiting Human Cholesterol Synthesis and Absorption: The Reciprocity Paradigm and its Key Regulators

"Cholesterol entering the small intestinal lumen, and subsequently absorbed by the enterocytes, is derived from three major sources: diet, bile, and intestinal epithelial sloughing [119]. The Western diet contributes approximately 300–500 mg of cholesterol per day [120]. Bile contributes about 800–1200 mg/day and the intestinal mucosal epithelium turnover provides nearly 300 mg/day [120]. The duodenum and proximal jejunum are the major sites of absorption [121, 122]. In healthy humans, approximately 50% of intestinal cholesterol is absorbed [123]. For the cholesterol to be absorbed, micellar solubilization must take place [124]. Dietary cholesterol is partly esterified (<15 %) in comparison to biliary cholesterol which is predominantly unesterified [125]. For example, egg yolk cholesterol is 8–19 % esterified [126]. This requires the dietary cholesteryl esters (CE) to be de-esterified by pancreatic carboxyl ester lipase (CEL) before cholesterol can be packed and transported to the brush border of enterocytes [125]. It must be noted that since the biliary pool of unesterified cholesterol is larger than the esterified dietary pool of cholesterol, targeted inhibition of the pancreatic lipolytic enzymes becomes ineffective in reducing cholesterol absorption [119]."

"It has been observed that some individuals hyporespond to dietary cholesterol, while others hyper-respond [156]; interestingly, variability in the ability to synthesize cholesterol is also quite common."

upload_2019-5-14_8-39-20.png

- Balancing Cholesterol Synthesis and Absorption in the Gastrointestinal Tract

"Rates of cholesterol absorption vary widely in the population from as little as 25% to around 80%, and average approximately 50%.[15] For an individual, the absorption rate appears to be constant over time. If in an individual cholesterol is secreted into bile at the maximal rate of 2 g/day, consumed at 0.4 g/day from the diet, and absorbed at a rate of 50%, then 1.2 g/day will be lost in the feces. If such an individual also loses 0.4 g/day of cholesterol in the form of bile salts, the total cholesterol loss will be 1.6 g/day (i.e., 25% as bile salts and 75% as cholesterol). The net daily synthesis of cholesterol is equal to the amount of cholesterol lost in the feces minus the dietary cholesterol, which in this case amounts to 1.2 g/day. This indicates that the amount of cholesterol absorbed is equal to the amount lost (i.e., the body synthesizes an amount approximately equal to the amount it absorbs)."​

"At the age of 30, both men and women produce roughly 30 to 50 mg. of pregnenolone daily."​

--
IMN victim count: 2.

Sativa

I intend to try pure squalene for it's pro metabolic and pro-neurosteroid effects (in combination with pure vitamin e oil).

...when consumption of olive oil is high, the intake of squalene can reach 200-400 mg/day as observed in Mediterranean countries.

The decreased risk for various cancers associated with high olive oil consumption may be due to the presence of squalene.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals