Every 5% Increase Of Total Calories From Saturated Fat Associated With Higher Risk Of Mortality

J

James IV

You sound a lot like Matt stone. His high everything diet, which in part I think was inspired by Peat, but I've never seen Peat actually say anything close to it. In fact at times peat has talked in ways that don't gel with Matt/youreatopia.

I wish eat high everything worked for me, but I felt bad after awhile and just kept gaining weight. Same happen to Matt actually if you read his recent blog posts. He is definitely chasing the super high metabolic rate through lots of food but it doesn't seem to have worked for him yet. Maybe if he added the thyroid he snubs.

Anyways. I was curious how long you have been adhering to high everything? Like more then 2 years?

I'm referring to high everything in reguards to macronutrition. I don't condone force feeding.

Tarmander

I'm referring to high everything in reguards to macronutrition. I don't condone force feeding.

I don't think Matt was really encouraging force feeding but I could see how it might be a bit like that. So not more then 2 years? Do you have like a calorie amountish you usually get?

sladerunner69

Here's the thing with these kinds of studies, and I haven't looked into this one in detail but I can make an educated guess on a methodological problem. Simply, the category defined as "saturated fat" vs. the category defined as "carbohydrate" is likely an amalgamation of several foods that are different than what comes into the readers mind when reading those categorical definitions.

For example, someone falling into a higher saturated fat intake category on these questionnaire studies is not likely on a paleo diet and eating a lot of grass fed beef fat, cage-free eggs, or coconut oil. The average person they capture in these studies is getting their saturated fat intake from fast food, commercial meat (lots of PUFA heavy pork and chicken) as well as from vegetable oils. Even though a vegetable oil is higher in PUFA than SFA, that doesn't mean eating a lot of it (in salad dressings or fried foods) will not pick up your saturated fat intake compared to someone who eats low fat.

So the picture painted, intentionally, is that eating a beef steak or egg omelet is directly linked to disease states, but the only thing the data are likely suggesting is that eating fried chicken and cheese steaks and pizza with pepperoni on it is associated with higher disease likelihood. I would put those people in the basic category of "not giving a ***t about diet." They probably eat a lot of sugar too, which is why it's so easy to show sugar is bad as well, because the same kinds of people eating a fast food burger are likely washing it down with a soda.

The only relevant comparison would be looking at a group like paleo dieters, or people on this forum, that intentionally eat a higher than average saturated fat diet while not eating complete junk.

Of course, fat does have an open question about health very active on this forum, dealing with endotoxin transport, but that is a niche question that this kind of imprecise study is not equipped to ask. These kinds of studies largely separate two groups of people, those who care about their diet and lifestyle and those that don't.

Yes I have to explain precisely this everytime someone brings up a study "proving" that sugar or saturated fat are bad long term and linked to heart disease, cancer, diabetes etc. The culprit is unsaturated fats, there are so many foods out there nowadays that are basically a combination of sugar/carbs + unsaturated fats+saturated fats. No one in these studies is eating low unsaturated fats, because it takes so much conscious effort to do with today's restaurants and grocery markets that it becomes a hassle. Fast food burgers, for instance, are considered to be high in saturated fat. But in reality they are higher in unsaturated, they are fried in peanut or canola oil, the bread is baked with canola, and the sauces and mayo are high in soybean oil. A lot of foods are made that way now, from pastries to cakes to bags of pretzels, you name it, it probably has at least a few grams of PUFA per serving and over the day the average american is eating over 50 grams of PUFA, far from the 5 grams ceiling that Dr. Peat shoots for.

J

James IV

I don't think Matt was really encouraging force feeding but I could see how it might be a bit like that. So not more then 2 years? Do you have like a calorie amountish you usually get?

I believe he did. The ARF part of RRARF was "Agressive Refeeding." I believe he encouraged eating as much as possible, whenever possible, of whatever you want, while being fairly sedentary. Maybe I am mistaken, but that's what I remember from the book of his I read years back.

I have never really counted calories other than for testing purposes over the years. I just eat if I am hungry, low mood or energy. If I had to guess I'd say I average 3-4K calories or so, probably less on days I am more active. I've been eating that calories level for quite a while, but I didn't see real improvements until I stopped limiting any macro, and just focused on satisfying cravings with nutrient dense foods.
Admittedly, I have been only been doing that for a relatively short time, but the improvements have come very quickly.

Of course a person should do what they feel is best. But I don't think the reductionist approach to nutrition is correct. I think inability to utilize energy from food, comes from deficiency.
I don't think what I'm saying is really revolutionary. Just a suggestion to eat all macronutrients from quality foods to appetite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarmander

I believe he did. The ARF part of RRARF was "Agressive Refeeding." I believe he encouraged eating as much as possible, whenever possible, of whatever you want, while being fairly sedentary. Maybe I am mistaken, but that's what I remember from the book of his I read years back.

I have never really counted calories other than for testing purposes over the years. I just eat if I am hungry, low mood or energy. If I had to guess I'd say I average 3-4K calories or so, probably less on days I am more active. I've been eating that calories level for quite a while, but I didn't see real improvements until I stopped limiting any macro, and just focused on satisfying cravings with nutrient dense foods.
Admittedly, I have been only been doing that for a relatively short time, but the improvements have come very quickly.

Of course a person should do what they feel is best. But I don't think the reductionist approach to nutrition is correct. I think inability to utilize energy from food, comes from deficiency.
I don't think what I'm saying is really revolutionary. Just a suggestion to eat all macronutrients from quality foods to appetite.

Yeah the refeeding part is a bit "force feeding" -esque. I think he got that from youreatopia and eating disorders.

I would be curious to hear what you think in a year or two. That amount of calories is pretty high. If you can manage that for years and years without gaining weight, I would want to know more about what you are doing right.

What I have found is that doing what "feels" best kind of sounds good, but gets very confusing in practice, and people have all kinds of different ideas about what that actually means. There is some amount of discipline required, but you do not want restriction or anxiety around food.

For example, someone's thinking might be like this: It is night time and I want ice cream...but I have wanted ice cream every night this week because I am pulling 12 hour shifts and it really takes the edge off...the ice cream helps with the stress, but am I actually hungry for it? Maybe a pear would hit the spot?

What I am getting at is that adding stress to a situation makes it harder to nail down if you are hungry, or emotional, or physically tired. I love the idea that you just go with what your body wants...I love it so much I did it for like a year. But I gained weight and was worse for it. I wish I had had some type of discipline.

Anyways. Interesting discussion.

Ella

Forum Supporter
some nice pickled ginger (like from the Ginger people, which uses real sugar), little salt, and some seaweed flakes is almost like eating sushi

Yuumm! I pickle a lot of my produce and since I discovered that calcium hydroxide is not only useful in releasing niacin in corn; it is used to make crunchy pickles. Nice way to bump up calcium levels to increase metabolism. I am going to make some pickled ginger. Ginger is also great for creating heat in the gut which aids digestion; it works nicely for reflux for those individuals that have issues with starch. Thanks for sharing.

So then you attribute your impressive weight loss to not eating as much fat? Did you differentiate between saturated and unsaturated? Or just no fat?

I avoided the obvious evil unsaturated fats, like fish oils, flaxseed, soybean, corn, canola, triple-filtered cottonseed oils, transfats and hydrogenated vegetable oils for 30+ years. Except when growing up as child in the 1970s when my parents swapped lard and olive oil for the toxic vegetable oils. So I had already been poisoned as a child. In my teens and 20s I was completely fat-free and stayed away from sugars - the two evils as far as I was concerned. My metabolism was really high. I had to eat an enormous amount of food to keep my weight on. I was also an athlete. I thought I was sensitive to sugar because when I binged on it, I was manic. It was like being on speed and I drove everyone demented when hyperactive and took some time to come down from the high. This confirms sugar really is cocaine. :) I now recognise this state as high energy, but deficient in minerals like calcium and wish now I could be in that state (not mineral deficient though). At the time I thought I was bipolar because the highs were very high and the lows were very low, to the point of being suicidal. I probably needed more cholesterol though I was eating an egg every morning for breakfast. My dr wished that all his patients were as healthy as I was (my cholesterol was low). I did not touch dairy and never drank milk so I assume from what I know now that I was calcium deficient and toxic with many heavy metals and deficient in nutrient minerals. I attempted a fruitarian diet because we grew lots of yummy fruit. It was a disaster as I developed terrible weeping rashes all over my body. The fruit was grown organically no chemicals etc. Another confirmation that fruit was not ideal for me. I had my hair mineral analysis done during this time and now that I have become quite an expert in this area have a better understand of those results. Neither the practitioner at the time nor the lab provided insight into the significance of these results. Happy to say that my calcium levels are great now. Wish I had known then what I know now :(

I discovered Weston Price as we all did and started eating more red meats like beef and lamb, more saturated fats plus cod liver oil and butter. I had to exercise really hard to keep from putting on weight unlike my zero fat days. When I became pregnant with my first child my body just exploded and my dr was concerned about my over-nutritioned state. His polite way of saying that I was getting too fat too fast. I explained to him that I had to eat a shitload of broccoli just to get the daily requirement for chromium. I was extremely pedantic in making sure I was meeting all my mineral and vitamin requirements. No sugar or refined carbohydrates and my protein and carbs balanced because I did not want to be facing insulin shots for maternal diabetes or a giant baby to deliver. I had to include roast lamb or beef to eat one potato without spiking my blood glucose. I was 65kg when 6mths pregnant and by delivery date, I had ballooned to 110kg. The weight came off after breastfeeding but I was doing lots of walking, pushing the pram up and down hills, riding my bike and going to gym. After my last two pregnancies, the weight was harder to take off. By this time I was convinced that carbs were the problem and my suspicions were confirmed when I discovered Robert Atkins and the high-fat, low-carb diet of that Polish doctor. I did not lose any weight and my energy levels plummeted. I could not get past lunch time without a nap and then dragged myself to pick up the kids from school, drive them to after-school activities and getting the meals on the table was a major effort. Of course the dr is going to say "What do you expect, you're a mother, of course you are feeling tired." Terrible years. How sad that these beautiful years are remembered with such horror.

When I tried to exercise or do physical work it would take me days to recover, clearly, something was not right. Then my complete physical breakdown while exercising. I had become exercise intolerant to the degree that my body broke and I was not able to walk for nine months. I thought I would never walk again, let alone exercise. This time I had to dig deep and work out what the hell had happened to me. One word stress. My diet and lifestyle were not meeting my energy demands. I introduced sugar and orange juice and milk with sugar. A scary proposition for someone who had shunned these foods for most of their life, in pursuit of a healthy diet. This one change made those afternoon naps long forgotten. Reading Peat made a lot of sense. At this point I had exchanged grains for gluten-free, doing lots of almond milk, almond flour in exchange for wheat flour. I was using lots of nuts, almonds, walnuts, pistachios and yes brazil nuts for selenium. I was aware of their unsaturated oil profile but figured the Vitamin e in them would protect against their deleterious effects. I completely removed nuts, seeds, grains, cod liver oil, avocado, tuna, salmon and sardines from the diet. So the only fat I was eating was coming from lamb, beef, shellfish, butter and coconut oil. The consumption of olive oil was reduced to zero. I used the fat taken off oxtail gelatin if I wanted to fry or saute because I didn't like the coconut oil in some dishes and using the fat from the oxtails was cheaper to use than the expensive coconut oil. I drank loads of full cream milk (I have to force myself to drink low-fat) and during the summer loads of ice-cream, cream, jelly and custard. So I think I made up for a lifetime of not having dairy and sugar. Like everyone else I ate yoghurt and made my own along with kefir, greek cheese and farmers cheese. I don't ferment anything now, except my pizza dough and sourdough. I shy away from lactobacilli. It seems I was doing all the right things by avoiding junk foods, preparing from scratch, exercising, no coffee, stimulates, cigarettes, drugs and alcohol however, my energy levels were not reflecting all my good efforts. About time to revisit that evil cocaine-like substance again.

Sticking to Peat's recommendations of swapping the starches for fruit had the biggest impact on the weight coming off. I found the less fat coming from the diet the more energy I had. So much that I could work through the night and still be OK the following day. Not what I wanted though. I want to be tired for bed and not stay up. However, this is in complete opposition to those days where I needed to sleep during the day and crash at night. Spending one day in the garden would require 3 days of recovery. When I did pushed through working through the night, I would be dead, dragging myself with little to no energy the next day.

I need to shed a lot more weight and I am planning a 10kg loss for this year. I had to take a break because the weight loss was scaring me. The body does not like to lose weight and it is a stressful state with the release of FFAs into circulation plus stored environmental toxins. Now that I know I can stop the weight loss by just changing my diet, I feel more confident at going at a slower pace. Having stable weight and eating enough calories means that I don't have a tsunami of FFAs and other toxins to contend with.

I am going to up my exercise level - nothing stupid. Focus on strength, walking. pilates and breath work. Eat only during light hours and stop eating once the sun goes down, ensuring that I am eating adequate calories and keeping fat percent coming from the diet at ~15%. Focus on keto-acids to meet my protein requirements. Peat says a ratio of 1:1 sat:unsat fats is Okay. After my hormone test, I will look at my lipid profile to see where I stand. If I am close to this ratio, then I am not going to worry too much about my weight and focus on maintaining a healthy high energy state without adrenaline. Optimising my calcium levels has made a huge difference in calming my nervous system. I am no longer hyper-vigilant, nicely laid back. This is a new experience for me - my world has not collapsed into chaos due to my more relaxed state of being :) The fact that I want to take on more projects means, I have the energy available to do so and I am able focus without becoming impatient. So I managed to rebuild my body into a totally in-recognisable person with a different mindset and persona. Not sure what to make of it, perhaps it's just maturity or getting older or my priorities have shifted.

J

James IV

Yeah the refeeding part is a bit "force feeding" -esque. I think he got that from youreatopia and eating disorders.

I would be curious to hear what you think in a year or two. That amount of calories is pretty high. If you can manage that for years and years without gaining weight, I would want to know more about what you are doing right.

What I have found is that doing what "feels" best kind of sounds good, but gets very confusing in practice, and people have all kinds of different ideas about what that actually means. There is some amount of discipline required, but you do not want restriction or anxiety around food.

For example, someone's thinking might be like this: It is night time and I want ice cream...but I have wanted ice cream every night this week because I am pulling 12 hour shifts and it really takes the edge off...the ice cream helps with the stress, but am I actually hungry for it? Maybe a pear would hit the spot?

What I am getting at is that adding stress to a situation makes it harder to nail down if you are hungry, or emotional, or physically tired. I love the idea that you just go with what your body wants...I love it so much I did it for like a year. But I gained weight and was worse for it. I wish I had had some type of discipline.

Anyways. Interesting discussion.

It is. I completely agree, and understand what you mean. Modern life and food, makes it difficult to listen to our bodies. I do eat ice cream, but only after a nutrient dense meal. I'm under no delusion that you can just eat tons of empty calories from sugar and fat and magically get lean. But again, that's not what I am suggesting. I'm suggesting you can eat all macronutrients in significant amounts as long as you have the nutritional status to back it up. Easiest way to do this is to get your energy from nutritious foods, or make sure you get additional nutrition to accompany empty energy.

For example I drink quite a bit of soda. But I also eat brewers yeast (maybe not so peat) fairly regularly, because I know it takes various B vitamins to utilize sugar. I also eat plenty of fruit and juice to keep potassium sufficient, since that is important for non insulin transport into the cells. If I drink too much in this scenario, I just get hyper and hot, and burn off the excess energy.
If I don't do these things for a while, soda doesn't give me much energy, and seems to create fat. I assume this is because I no longer posses the nutrition to utilize the energy properly. This is what I mean when I say I believe deficiency causes weight gain.

Note

You sound a lot like Matt stone. His high everything diet, which in part I think was inspired by Peat, but I've never seen Peat actually say anything close to it. In fact at times peat has talked in ways that don't gel with Matt/youreatopia.

I wish eat high everything worked for me, but I felt bad after awhile and just kept gaining weight. Same happen to Matt actually if you read his recent blog posts. He is definitely chasing the super high metabolic rate through lots of food but it doesn't seem to have worked for him yet. Maybe if he added the thyroid he snubs.

Anyways. I was curious how long you have been adhering to high everything? Like more then 2 years?

Actually it seems it works for Matt, he eats more now and he loses weight, he aso stress less and work less.

Here is his last article.

The Metabolic Zone - 180 Degree Health

Note

Yuumm! I pickle a lot of my produce and since I discovered that calcium hydroxide is not only useful in releasing niacin in corn; it is used to make crunchy pickles. Nice way to bump up calcium levels to increase metabolism. I am going to make some pickled ginger. Ginger is also great for creating heat in the gut which aids digestion; it works nicely for reflux for those individuals that have issues with starch. Thanks for sharing.

I avoided the obvious evil unsaturated fats, like fish oils, flaxseed, soybean, corn, canola, triple-filtered cottonseed oils, transfats and hydrogenated vegetable oils for 30+ years. Except when growing up as child in the 1970s when my parents swapped lard and olive oil for the toxic vegetable oils. So I had already been poisoned as a child. In my teens and 20s I was completely fat-free and stayed away from sugars - the two evils as far as I was concerned. My metabolism was really high. I had to eat an enormous amount of food to keep my weight on. I was also an athlete. I thought I was sensitive to sugar because when I binged on it, I was manic. It was like being on speed and I drove everyone demented when hyperactive and took some time to come down from the high. This confirms sugar really is cocaine. :) I now recognise this state as high energy, but deficient in minerals like calcium and wish now I could be in that state (not mineral deficient though). At the time I thought I was bipolar because the highs were very high and the lows were very low, to the point of being suicidal. I probably needed more cholesterol though I was eating an egg every morning for breakfast. My dr wished that all his patients were as healthy as I was (my cholesterol was low). I did not touch dairy and never drank milk so I assume from what I know now that I was calcium deficient and toxic with many heavy metals and deficient in nutrient minerals. I attempted a fruitarian diet because we grew lots of yummy fruit. It was a disaster as I developed terrible weeping rashes all over my body. The fruit was grown organically no chemicals etc. Another confirmation that fruit was not ideal for me. I had my hair mineral analysis done during this time and now that I have become quite an expert in this area have a better understand of those results. Neither the practitioner at the time nor the lab provided insight into the significance of these results. Happy to say that my calcium levels are great now. Wish I had known then what I know now :(

I discovered Weston Price as we all did and started eating more red meats like beef and lamb, more saturated fats plus cod liver oil and butter. I had to exercise really hard to keep from putting on weight unlike my zero fat days. When I became pregnant with my first child my body just exploded and my dr was concerned about my over-nutritioned state. His polite way of saying that I was getting too fat too fast. I explained to him that I had to eat a shitload of broccoli just to get the daily requirement for chromium. I was extremely pedantic in making sure I was meeting all my mineral and vitamin requirements. No sugar or refined carbohydrates and my protein and carbs balanced because I did not want to be facing insulin shots for maternal diabetes or a giant baby to deliver. I had to include roast lamb or beef to eat one potato without spiking my blood glucose. I was 65kg when 6mths pregnant and by delivery date, I had ballooned to 110kg. The weight came off after breastfeeding but I was doing lots of walking, pushing the pram up and down hills, riding my bike and going to gym. After my last two pregnancies, the weight was harder to take off. By this time I was convinced that carbs were the problem and my suspicions were confirmed when I discovered Robert Atkins and the high-fat, low-carb diet of that Polish doctor. I did not lose any weight and my energy levels plummeted. I could not get past lunch time without a nap and then dragged myself to pick up the kids from school, drive them to after-school activities and getting the meals on the table was a major effort. Of course the dr is going to say "What do you expect, you're a mother, of course you are feeling tired." Terrible years. How sad that these beautiful years are remembered with such horror.

When I tried to exercise or do physical work it would take me days to recover, clearly, something was not right. Then my complete physical breakdown while exercising. I had become exercise intolerant to the degree that my body broke and I was not able to walk for nine months. I thought I would never walk again, let alone exercise. This time I had to dig deep and work out what the hell had happened to me. One word stress. My diet and lifestyle were not meeting my energy demands. I introduced sugar and orange juice and milk with sugar. A scary proposition for someone who had shunned these foods for most of their life, in pursuit of a healthy diet. This one change made those afternoon naps long forgotten. Reading Peat made a lot of sense. At this point I had exchanged grains for gluten-free, doing lots of almond milk, almond flour in exchange for wheat flour. I was using lots of nuts, almonds, walnuts, pistachios and yes brazil nuts for selenium. I was aware of their unsaturated oil profile but figured the Vitamin e in them would protect against their deleterious effects. I completely removed nuts, seeds, grains, cod liver oil, avocado, tuna, salmon and sardines from the diet. So the only fat I was eating was coming from lamb, beef, shellfish, butter and coconut oil. The consumption of olive oil was reduced to zero. I used the fat taken off oxtail gelatin if I wanted to fry or saute because I didn't like the coconut oil in some dishes and using the fat from the oxtails was cheaper to use than the expensive coconut oil. I drank loads of full cream milk (I have to force myself to drink low-fat) and during the summer loads of ice-cream, cream, jelly and custard. So I think I made up for a lifetime of not having dairy and sugar. Like everyone else I ate yoghurt and made my own along with kefir, greek cheese and farmers cheese. I don't ferment anything now, except my pizza dough and sourdough. I shy away from lactobacilli. It seems I was doing all the right things by avoiding junk foods, preparing from scratch, exercising, no coffee, stimulates, cigarettes, drugs and alcohol however, my energy levels were not reflecting all my good efforts. About time to revisit that evil cocaine-like substance again.

Sticking to Peat's recommendations of swapping the starches for fruit had the biggest impact on the weight coming off. I found the less fat coming from the diet the more energy I had. So much that I could work through the night and still be OK the following day. Not what I wanted though. I want to be tired for bed and not stay up. However, this is in complete opposition to those days where I needed to sleep during the day and crash at night. Spending one day in the garden would require 3 days of recovery. When I did pushed through working through the night, I would be dead, dragging myself with little to no energy the next day.

I need to shed a lot more weight and I am planning a 10kg loss for this year. I had to take a break because the weight loss was scaring me. The body does not like to lose weight and it is a stressful state with the release of FFAs into circulation plus stored environmental toxins. Now that I know I can stop the weight loss by just changing my diet, I feel more confident at going at a slower pace. Having stable weight and eating enough calories means that I don't have a tsunami of FFAs and other toxins to contend with.

I am going to up my exercise level - nothing stupid. Focus on strength, walking. pilates and breath work. Eat only during light hours and stop eating once the sun goes down, ensuring that I am eating adequate calories and keeping fat percent coming from the diet at ~15%. Focus on keto-acids to meet my protein requirements. Peat says a ratio of 1:1 sat:unsat fats is Okay. After my hormone test, I will look at my lipid profile to see where I stand. If I am close to this ratio, then I am not going to worry too much about my weight and focus on maintaining a healthy high energy state without adrenaline. Optimising my calcium levels has made a huge difference in calming my nervous system. I am no longer hyper-vigilant, nicely laid back. This is a new experience for me - my world has not collapsed into chaos due to my more relaxed state of being :) The fact that I want to take on more projects means, I have the energy available to do so and I am able focus without becoming impatient. So I managed to rebuild my body into a totally in-recognisable person with a different mindset and persona. Not sure what to make of it, perhaps it's just maturity or getting older or my priorities have shifted.

You were saying that 30% body fat is optimal, why you want to lose we weight?

I like pickles, but hard to get here without vinegar.

I am not sure if Ray is right about lactic acid, lots cultures eat for ages fermented foods, dairy. Kefir for example was using for healing lots problems.

BTW.What are you growing this year in your garden? :)

Wagner83

Thanks I'll keep that in mind as I enjoy drinking apple juice but it sometimes gives me skin itch..
Same for me with real apples, did you try filtered juice? I think they can be quite allergenic but not sure why exactly (it's a heavily pesticided fruit), some makes the inside of my throat itch.

Tarmander

Actually it seems it works for Matt, he eats more now and he loses weight, he aso stress less and work less.

Here is his last article.

The Metabolic Zone - 180 Degree Health

He admits in the article though that he is unhappy with his results. Yeah he got into some nice zone while abroad, but I think it is pretty obvious that his results initially, in the first couple years, were not what was promised, or what he hoped. I am not sure how you could read that article and think he was a success. If anything, that article is just a "back at it" article.

whodathunkit

@James IV, nice bunch of posts! But I have a few questions...mind saying how old you are? Are you coming from a place of very poor nutrition for a long time (like, a couple decades at least)? Also, did you ever have CFS symptoms, or do I have you confused with someone else? It's like I remember you from Phoenix Rising, maybe, but then see you joined here in 2013 so maybe/probably not.

Note

He admits in the article though that he is unhappy with his results. Yeah he got into some nice zone while abroad, but I think it is pretty obvious that his results initially, in the first couple years, were not what was promised, or what he hoped. I am not sure how you could read that article and think he was a success. If anything, that article is just a "back at it" article.

Read about Billy Craig, he ate 6000 kcal and he lost weight.
I came across a few other bloggers with a good result.
I think his approach is good for people with ED/undereating/ortorexia etc.

Tarmander

Read about Billy Craig, he ate 6000 kcal and he lost weight.
I came across a few other bloggers with a good result.

Go for it, test it out. Do the eat high everything for a couple years and let us know your results. Matt does hamburgers, pizzas, cookies. Stuffs them all down. Make it work and let us know.

dibble

No, its 'James' ;)

J

James IV

@James IV, nice bunch of posts! But I have a few questions...mind saying how old you are? Are you coming from a place of very poor nutrition for a long time (like, a couple decades at least)? Also, did you ever have CFS symptoms, or do I have you confused with someone else? It's like I remember you from Phoenix Rising, maybe, but then see you joined here in 2013 so maybe/probably not.

I'm 40. Ive done all the standard diets on the market over the last 15 years. I've been studying nutrition heavily for the last 10 years. Vegan, paleo, keto, etc. None of them really damaged me too badly, just never felt that "healthy" on any of them for long. What started to get me in trouble was fasting while expending a lot of energy. I got very lean, but was having all the symptoms of hypo. Then I started to research thyroid and found some stuff by Matt Stone and Ray. Unfortunately I went full force into "reparing" my metabolism before I really understood things, went overboard and got really ill, like thought I might die ill. I had terrible pain, depression, toilet bowls
Full of blood, inability to eat, anxiety, and what felt like mini heart attacks and strokes. Although, I now believe that may have been a serious infection aggravated by aggressive change of diet. I really don't know.
I'm not familiar with Phoenix Rising. So that wasn't me.

J

James IV

@James IV How did you sort your infection out?

It's still there. It just stays dormant as long as I avoid most fibers and starches. I haven't got the balls to go at it with antibiotics yet. I'm going to see if I can get rid of it by continuing to work on my metabolism.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals