CNN: Saturated Fat Does NOT Clog Your Arteries; Stress And Inflammation Do

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think we will be seeing more and more of these "breaking news" on major news outlets as the house of cards made of PUFA slowly crumbles. The FDA already reversed its official recommendations on cholesterol, but left the policies on saturated fat intact even though the same study on which the cholesterol decision was based also concluded that saturated fat is not only harmless but beneficial. This new study adds a new recommendation - avoid stress to avoid heart disease. It also reframes heart disease as a chronic inflammatory condition - just like all other chronic conditions are. Finally, it exposes the expensive fraud that most medical procedures for clogged arteries are - they do not save lives, cost a lot, and have a number of side effects many of which are fatal. I wonder what genius thought that inflammation can be treated with a stent and managed to convince the FDA of the same...

Saturated fat does not clog the arteries: coronary heart disease is a chronic inflammatory condition, the risk of which can be effectively reduced from healthy lifestyle interventions | British Journal of Sports Medicine
Does saturated fats clog your arteries? Controversial paper says 'no' - CNN.com

"...But in an editorial published Tuesday in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, three cardiologists say saturated fats do not clog arteries and the "clogged pipe" model of heart disease is "plain wrong." The authors write that eating saturated fats is not associated with either coronary heart disease, ischemic stroke, type 2 diabetes, death from heart disease or early death in healthy adults, referencing a meta-analysis, or review of previous studies, to support their claims. Critics of the editorial noted that the meta-analysis is based on observational data and is not considered conclusive by general scientific standards. "This idea that dietary saturated fats build up in the coronary arteries is complete unscientific nonsense," said Dr. Aseem Malhotra, first author of the new controversial editorial and a consultant cardiologist at London's Lister Hospital, in an email to CNN."

"...According to Malhotra and his co-authors, Dr. Rita Redberg, a cardiologist at UCSF School of Medicine in San Francisco, and Dr. Pascal Meier, a cardiologist at University Hospital Geneva, healthy people can effectively reduce risk of coronary disease by walking 22 minutes a day, minimizing stress and eating "real food." Saturated fat in itself is not a problem, they say."

"..."Coronary artery disease is a chronic inflammatory condition," Malhotra said. It is inflammatory processes that contribute to deposits of cholesterol within the artery wall and formation of plaque, he and his co-authors say. Plaques rupture in the manner of a pimple, and this is what can cause a heart attack or stroke. Coronary disease does not resemble a "clogged pipe," they say. Evidence of this, they say, is contained in a series of studies that found that using stents to open arteries narrowed by plaque fails to prevent heart attack or reduce mortality."

T

tca300

I wonder when even on a very low PUFA diet chronically, if psychological stress could still cause atherosclerosis, in the presence of a very good diet.

sladerunner69

I wonder when even on a very low PUFA diet chronically, if psychological stress could still cause atherosclerosis, in the presence of a very good diet.

Psychological stress does have a small effecct but I don't think it's much. And if the diet provides plenty of calcium, protein, sugar, to support the metabolism and thyroid function, and other nutrients as well, then I bet the effect of the psychological stress is totally mitigated and reversed.

J

James IV

Stress is only stressful when there isn't enough energy available, no?

T

tca300

@James IV from experience, no amount of food/energy can stop certain stresses. Which Is why I asked my original question.

J

James IV

@James IV from experience, no amount of food/energy can stop certain stresses. Which Is why I asked my original question.

Totally with you! I just meant that perceiving something as stressful is not the same as something being physiologically stressful, damaging. At least that's my understanding of Dr Peats work. Since I assumed your question was rhetorical, I was offering an idea, rather than an answer. Since I don't think a "factual" answer is possible in this context.

LeeLemonoil

The author nevertheless recommend a mediterranean diet with lots of fats from Olive oil and nuts, so there findings and announcement do not confirm a peaty angle in full.

And to add my 2 cents to the musings above:
As soon as you oerceive something as distressing, it is harmful, it robs energy and leads to overexicitation - meaning, damage to various tissues. I begin to see overxcitatory damage as very high "upstream" on pathogenesises. NMDA overactivation leads to overexpression/disregulation of certain enzymes like MMPs which will result in atrophic tissues. Steroid glands, receptors, even structures in the brain that excrete hormones ike TSH can be damaged and affected, leading to downstream sterodial or energy issues

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Peat said that in the absence of PUFA every stress reaction is self-limiting. Almost like a negative feedback mechanism. But PUFA and estrogen turn this negative feedback into positive feedback and stress then becomes a trigger - i.e. seeding the system into action and off it goes and on and on (pun intended).

lvysaur

A step in the right direction, but the American syndrome of "overcorrect and then some" is on full display here.

Rather than exposing PUFAs, and particularly animal PUFAs, for what they are, we'll see the same dietary habits, but with higher overall fat consumption, as people adopt the mantra of "do the opposite of what the MSM said".

tara

I just meant that perceiving something as stressful is not the same as something being physiologically stressful, damaging.
I think perceiving something as stressful can set off stress responses.
The body can react as though there is a threat that requires fight/flight etc whether or not the actual threat exists.
Increase adrenaline, hyperventilate, increase heart rate, change the tone of blood vessels in different parts of the body (eg reduce the blood flow to the digestive system, increase it to the skeletal muscles), lower CO2, lower oxygen supply to some tissues, affect some cells' ability to efficiently oxidise glucose, affect the function of the nervous system. Having more energy available (strong metabolism adequately nourished), and having a good grasp on things mentally presumably improves resilience and raises the threshold. But if one perceives that there is a serious stress/threat, I think it can have physiological effects. More so if chronic. The better the metabolism, diet and other conditions, the less vulnerable one is to it becoming chronic.

Though I think some people with strong metabolisms perceive themselves as bulletproof, and squander the advantage they've inherited by inflicting a lot of unnecessary stress on themselves.

Edit to add:
As soon as you oerceive something as distressing, it is harmful, it robs energy and leads to overexicitation - meaning, damage to various tissues.
I posted prematurely before reading this. :)

J

James IV

Interesting ideas. I think I'm agreeing with the general consensus although I may have worded it incorrectly. I don't find things many other folks label as "stressful," as stressful. But sometimes I "know" I should be worried about certain things, because everyone keeps telling me I should be worried. I suspose stress is contagious in that sense.

L

lollipop

The body can react as though there is a threat that requires fight/flight etc whether or not the actual threat exists.
Increase adrenaline, hyperventilate, increase heart rate, change the tone of blood vessels in different parts of the body (eg reduce the blood flow to the digestive system, increase it to the skeletal muscles), lower CO2, lower oxygen supply to some tissues, affect some cells' ability to efficiently oxidise glucose, affect the function of the nervous system. Having more energy available (strong metabolism adequately nourished), and having a good grasp on things mentally presumably improves resilience and raises the threshold. But if one perceives that there is a serious stress/threat, I think it can have physiological effects. More so if chronic. The better the metabolism, diet and other conditions, the less vulnerable one is to it becoming chronic.

Though I think some people with strong metabolisms perceive themselves as bulletproof, and squander the advantage they've inherited by inflicting a lot of unnecessary stress on themselves.

Edit to add:

Interesting @tara. I just read about this research showing that simply the perception of taking action to recover from a relationship breakup was enough to stimulate the cascade of positive hormonal response. Placebo effect happened from the "perception" alone. Good stuff. Might be interested @James IV

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170424141213.htm

Regina

Edit to add:

I agree with you Tara. Even if we don't parse "inherited". People will squander or at least undermine their strong metabolism and/or get ensnared by a wrong job, wrong dogma, wrong friends, environment or just ***t happens.....

Regina

tara

I don't find things many other folks label as "stressful," as stressful.
Different people perceive different things as stressful/dangerous - presumably in part based on early life experiences.

Even if we don't parse "inherited".
I include epigenetic and social/cultural/environmental inheritance, not just genetic. :)

People will squander or at least undermine their strong metabolism and/or get ensnared by a wrong job, wrong dogma, wrong friends, environment or just ***t happens.....
... think that extreme or endurance sport will keep them healthy and anyone who doesn't do it is lazy and/or inferior ...

I just read about this research showing that simply the perception of taking action to recover from a relationship breakup was enough to stimulate the cascade of positive hormonal response. Placebo effect happened from the "perception" alone.
Makes sense that a perception that one has the 'threat' under control helps with restoring to a non-stressed state.

Regina

Different people perceive different things as stressful/dangerous - presumably in part based on early life experiences.

I include epigenetic and social/cultural/environmental inheritance, not just genetic. :)

... think that extreme or endurance sport will keep them healthy and anyone who doesn't do it is lazy and/or inferior ...

Makes sense that a perception that one has the 'threat' under control helps with restoring to a non-stressed state.
:thumbsup:
(if you don't do extreme sports, you're a quitter. I love Peat's insight, "Deprivation increases the ability to tolerate deprivation.")

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals