Good (HDL) Cholesterol Is Not So Good After All

supernature

Thats what i mean, everything is a stresor, but is that means all we have to do is sit and eat some, avoiding exercise at any cost just to decrease the stress. Taking suppl really should be just the fine tuning and just in amounts that are recognizable by the body but with no intention to get used to it. I dont think avoiding physical activity and trying to move the cholesterol with suppl only, should be the preferred approach, however the latter could be in help.

Last edited:

supernature

Are you responding to me?
If so, no, I didn't say or mean that.
Play is good for all of us.
I didn't say all exercise (or play) was bad. I was just challenging the idea that all exercise is always and undisputably good for health. What and how much exercise we can benefit from varies.

Yes, if one is in bad shape lifting heavy above the head will cause nothing but damage, but even in bad shape if start slow and light and keep going even slow and light could contribute only to good consequences in my opinion.
I think one should avoid exercise (like too much cardio for example) only if has approved nutritional imbalances, in that case going further with exhaustion and not enough repair could only aggravate its metabolic damage.

tara

Well, ok, you are right - even "goodness" of exercise has a proper context. It is a stressor, so, it can be bad under various circumstances (e.g., marathon). My assumption is that an average Jane knows how to exercise to reap its benefits - I don't think it is outlandish to believe that.
Maybe average Janes do know, I don't know.
Health forums and this forum in particular are not populated primarily with average Janes. :)
Many of us have got here because of ill health, some of us by habits that have undermined metabolism. Like PUFA excess or starving or overexercising. I think there is some misunderstanding in the general culture too. We've been getting news reports lately about far too many kids being expected to over-train for their chosen sports, and consequently doctors seeing patterns of negative and potentially long-term consequences on health.

Thats what i mean, everything is a stresor, but is that means all we have to do is sit and eat some, avoiding exercise at any cost just to decrease the stress.
I don't recall seeing anyone suggesting that here, have you? Although maybe it depends on how you define exercise - some people seem to define it as boring repetitive difficult activity you do for no other reason.

supernature

@tara Quoted of mine post is rhetorical sentence, but i think you do got my point with the example you're giving.
Of course B3 has some benefits on circulation that could be easily achieved via regular exercising/stretching as well.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
In order to be beneficial, exercise should be fun and glycogen-bound. The moment you start burning fat, serotonin and GH rise and if that continues for too long estrogen and lactate rise too. So, endurance exercise is probably detrimental beyond a few minutes of happily jogging around.
Just my 2c.

supernature

Glycogen-bound exercise sounds quite secure esp for the one thats already burning fast at rest. It seems all those models with well shaped press they all cheat with some powders and if one is natural and looking good that probably is in expense of damage. Does that mean we have a chance of 30-40min power exercising only if we almost constantly supplying nutrients for fuel and repair during the event.

Fractality

Exogenous use shuts down endogenous synthesis, allowing LDL to pile up. But how much of that is used for androgens? Some compounds will raise LDL mildly (injectables mostly) while others will send it skyrocketing (mostly orals). I opined to a friend that suppression of gonadotropins by AAS also affects the production of pregnanes and progesterone, from altered activity of a few CYP enzymes but perhaps also the absence of LH and FSH. I am yet to see anyone I know on AAS getting bloodwork done to include a list of items that would shed some light on this. Not unless I was paying for it. I mean, I could do it myself but I haven't the time or the effort to use AAS anymore.

There is at least one prominent TRT doc who recommends DHEA, preg, etc to "back fill the pathways" for his patients on TRT. I think you are on the right track.

Parsifal

In order to be beneficial, exercise should be fun and glycogen-bound. The moment you start burning fat, serotonin and GH rise and if that continues for too long estrogen and lactate rise too. So, endurance exercise is probably detrimental beyond a few minutes of happily jogging around.
Just my 2c.

Is there a way to know that we are still in glycogen-bound exercise?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is there a way to know that we are still in glycogen-bound exercise?

Muscle pain/stiffness is a sign of lactate buildup, and panting to the point of not being able to hold a conversation is enough to trigger lactate production. Usually, running at a steady pace at 75% intensity for about 10min is enough to get a person to that state, and some people reach it much more quickly.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Does that "pain" include the "burn" or "pump" where the blood rushes in the muscle after high rep exercise?

Yes, muscle stiffness and burn are a sign of fatigue and lactate buildup.

Parsifal

I am supplementing with a bit of potassium since a few days and have noticed that I feel really better, less stiff and less stressed with a better ability to concentrate. Do you think that potassium can remove lactate from muscles?

Tarmander

Moderate exercise for me used to be swimming a mile after eight hours of work running around a retail store...oh yeah and all that on only 1800 cal a day! Most people's conception of what constitutes healthy exercise is colored by the recent trends in cross fit and lifting tractor tires...I remember one time my mom telling me about when jogging started being a thing. If you saw someone running down the street it was just plain weird, like what are they doing, where are they going? Exercise to our grandparents was different then to us today.

As far as topic goes: I just got my cholesterol recently, which was slightly elevated, and I had higher amounts of LDL and lower amounts of HDL and my doctor is absolutely freaking out wanting to drug me. What I am curious about is the cholesterol profiles of children. Are they naturally lower HDL and higher LDL? Don't most "heathy" children have the cholesterol parameters that most modern doctors would consider "healthy"...meaning high HDL and lower LDL?

supernature

If this guy can survive all that muscle fatigue, we could do it either. His explanation of the feeling is hilarious as well :wink
Der pump - Arnold Schwarzenegger
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8TSK_yOU9w

Regarding cholesterol...buildup, isnt it there to protect actually, when one got deficient in this or that and blood vessels got fragile isnt it the cholesterol the guy who helps, and could be used as an indicator of what needs to be done towards cleansing and better nutrition?

tara

Do you think that potassium can remove lactate from muscles?
If one is deficient in potassium, I imagine that supplementing a little potassium could improve sugar oxidation, which could reduce glycolysis/lactic acid production?

tara

Moderate exercise for me used to be swimming a mile after eight hours of work running around a retail store...oh yeah and all that on only 1800 cal a day!
Gaaa!
Exercise to our grandparents was different then to us today.
Yeah, save your energy for the work that needs to be done, or the dancing and playing. I worked with an old man for a little while a few decades ago. He would get quite cross when he saw people out jogging.

tara

It's okay Tara! I was getting lots of vegetables and juicing so I was getting my vitamins :hilarious:
That's OK then. Who needs calories when they are getting vitamins? :lol:

B

Braveheart

I found the perfect workout for this old bod in Dr. McGuff's "Body by Science"...I do 5 exercises that work every muscle in body...1 set each, to failure (4 to 8 reps) total time 15-20 min. once every 7-10 days...and I'm looking good. No stiffness, no pain.