What Fixes Kidney Stones

OP
ecstatichamster
I think prevention by consuming adequate calcium is probably the #1 thing. High PTR probably contributes or causes stones. The solution is a high calcium diet. Counter intuitive of course.

Renal stone disease, elevated iPTH level and normocalcemia

Background: There is a well establishedrelationship between primary hyperparathyroidismand recurrent calcium-containing calculi.Traditionally, the diagnosis is confirmed bythe presence of elevated intact parathyroidhormone (iPTH) and serum ionised calciumlevels. The prevalence and role of elevatediPTH in the presence of normocalcemia inpatients with renal stone disease is poorlyunderstood. The aim of the present study was todescribe the findings in patients who hadrenal stone disease, an elevated iPTH level andnormocalcemia.Methods: During the last decade, 414patients, who had normal renal function, wereinvestigated and treated for renal calculi inthe Renal Stone Clinic of the Toronto WesternHospital. Of these 414 patients, 40 (9.6%) hadan elevated intact iPTH level and normal serumcalcium (total and ionised) on repeatedmeasurements. In all these patients weperformed detailed clinical and laboratoryinvestigations to determine risk factors forstone formation. Correlation analysis was doneusing Pearson test and the weights of factorsinfluencing iPTH level were compared usingmultiple regression analysis.Results: The average duration of ahistory of stone disease was 12.0 ± 10.5years. Most of these patients had passed theirstones spontaneously, 15 underwentlithotripsy, in six the stones were removed bybasket catheters and one patient each hadpartial nephrectomy, nepholithotomy oruretero-lithotomy. Twelve had a positive familyhistory, two had history of intestinalmalabsorption and one patients had a history ofimmobilisation. All of these patients hadelevated serum parathyroid hormone in the rangeof 3% to 134% (median 20.5%) above upperlimit of normal (F = M); all had normal serumtotal and ionised calcium and normal urine excretion ofcalcium (except in one). Additional risk factorfor stone formation included: low level of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in four patients, lowoutput and high urine osmolality in fourpatients, high urine sodium in nine and highoxalate excretion in eight patients. Citrateexcretion was low in seven, magnesium excretionin six patients and tubular reabsorption ofphosphate in 22 patients. Urine hydroxyprolinwas increased in two and decreased in fourpatients. Combined abnormalities were found in14 while 17 patients did not have anyabnormality apart from elevated iPTH level.Multiple regression analysis did not suggestthat any of the selected predictors had asignificant influence on PTH release.Conclusions: 9.6% of patients withrecurrent kidney stones had normocalcemia andelevated iPTH level in the presence of normalrenal function. The study did not showany distinct pattern of abnormalities thatwould suggest a mechanism of stone disease inthese patients. Further investigations arenecessary to determine the significance ofelevated iPTH in normocalcemic patients withrenal stone disease and establish whether weshould consider neck exploration forparathyroidectomy in these patients.

Nokoni

I think prevention by consuming adequate calcium is probably the #1 thing. High PTR probably contributes or causes stones. The solution is a high calcium diet. Counter intuitive of course.
Apparently boron plays an important role too. According to this article, http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm, "Boron deficiency causes the parathyroids to become overactive."

Also boron helps the kidneys retain calcium (and magnesium), meaning there is less calcium to form calcium oxalate stones. That's from this video at 38:26, by Jorge Flechas:

Dave Clark

There is something to consider innovative. Some Indian Big Pharma player has created probiotic to prevent and eliminated kidney stones. It's supposed to thrive on oxalate. IDK if it works. Google it.
Oxalobacter formigenes.
This is the bacteria that degrades oxalates. So, for someone who gets oxalate based kidney stones, it may be helpful, along with eating a low oxalate diet.

Dave Clark

Has anyone had remission of kidney stones forming by using vitamin K? With the idea that K will cause better management of calcium and prevent the build up of calcium in the kidneys to form calcium oxalate.

Citrate lowers copper, ceruloplasmin and i believe Peat mentioned an issue with the citrate is made nowadays, using fungus or mold

Tudca helps liver and Kidney?

the thing is mold and fungus is everywhere,if you go into the woods the smell is mold,all enimals breathing mold in&out.
i wouldnt care too much tbqh.

about kidney stones,citrate can dissolve them,look at this:

Dissolution of radiolucent renal stones by oral alkalinization with potassium citrate/potassium bicarbonate.
Trinchieri A, et al. Arch Ital Urol Androl. 2009.
Show full citation
Abstract

AIM: Uric acid stone disease is dependent on three pathogenetic factors: acid urine pH, low urine volume, and hyperuricosuria. However, the most important factor for uric acid stone formation is persistently acidic urine that represents a prerequisite for uric acid stone formation and growth. Urinary alkalization with alkali administration has been advocated for dissolution of stones on the basis of estabilished clinical experience. The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical efficacy of therapy with potassium citrate/potassium bicarbonate for dissolution of radiolucent stones.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: A total of 8 patients with radiolucent stones (< or = 15 mm) in functioning kidneys were enrolled (4 M, 4 F; mean age 66 +/- 2 years) Ultrasonography (or computed tomography scan) was done to confirm stone presence and burden and plain X-ray to exclude calcified stones. At basal a blood sample was drawn for glucose, creatinine and uric acid measurement and a 24 hour urine sample was collected for evaluation of daily uric acid excretion. Urine cultures were also performed in order rule out urinary tract infection. All patients at presentation and weekly during the study period filled out urinary pH and volume diaries. Each study day three samples of urine were collected for pH and volume measurement (morning from 8 AM to 2 PM; afternoon from 2 PM to 8 PM, and night from 8 PM to 8 AM). Two study periods were considered: during the first 6 week period a daily water intake of 1500 ml was suggested whereas in the following 6 week period the same water intake plus potassium citrate 40 mEq and potassium bicarbonate 20 mEq (divided in two doses). Potassium alkali were chosen in order to reduce the risk of calcium precipitation because of their calcium-lowering effect. The effects of treatment on stone dissolution was evaluated by ultrasonography after each study period (6 weeks and 12 weeks).

RESULTS: During the first period of treatment stone burden remained unchanged in all patients. On the contrary after 6 weeks of potassium citrate/bicarbonate treatment, complete stone dissolution was found in three of the patients. In the other five cases a partial dissolution was observed and in two of them complete dissolution of the stone was achieved after prolongation of the treatment for 4 and 6 month respectively. Mean urinary volumes were unchanged during all the two study periods. Mean urinary pH was significantly higher during the potassium citrate/bicarbonate treatment period in comparison to the first study period (morning 6.60 +/- 1.06 vs 5.53 +/- 0.51, p = 0.030; afternoon 6.53 +/- 0.70 vs 5.63 +/- 0.41, p = 0.007; night 6.57 +/- 0.51 vs 5.98 +/- 0.80, p = 0.092). Tolerance of the drug was good, and no serious effects were observed sufficient to interrupt treatment. None of the patients required subsequent interventions for stone treatment.

CONCLUSION: Urinary alkalization with potassium citrate/bicarbonate is a well tolerated and highly effective treatment, resulting in dissolution of nonobstructing uric acid stones.

Pistachio

I went back and looked at all the threads about stones since 2013. I just want to start a new thread with what’s worked for you recently, or what you found? Thank you

I found that supplements—Vitamin C, Calcium, mushrooms like Chaga, and protein powder—precipitate stones in my kidneys, so I cut them out. Vitamin K2 is new for me, so I am curious how it will manage my oxalate levels. So far, so good.

Chanca piedra and pure lemon juice seem to help for prevention and treatment.

OP
ecstatichamster
I believe that most stones can be prevented by keeping PTH down, meaning high calcium diets. Most people with stones cut back on calcium and I think this is what causes further stones.

Dave Clark

I believe that most stones can be prevented by keeping PTH down, meaning high calcium diets. Most people with stones cut back on calcium and I think this is what causes further stones.
I had read years ago that one should use calcium to help prevent kidney stones. Mentioned down on this link:

DrJ

Removing the parathyroid gland, but it seems like you know about that one.

LA

Absolutely calcium is important and Dr. Peat agrees. Here are some snips:

The same diet that protects against osteoporosis, i.e., plenty of protein and calcium, etc., also protects against kidney stones and other abnormal calcifications.

[snip]
Inflammation leads to excessive uptake of calcium by cells, and is a factor in obesity, depression, and the degenerative diseases.
Protein deficiency is an important cause of deranged calcium metabolism. Vitamins K, E, and A are important in regulating calcium metabolism, and preventing osteoporosis. Aspirin (with antiestrogenic and vitamin E-like actions) is protective against bone resorption and hypercalcemia.
============================
It is extremely important to realize that calcium deposits in soft tissues become worse when the diet is low in calcium. Persons suffering from arthritis, bursitis, scleroderma, hardening of the arteries and any abnormality where calcium deposits or spurs may cause pain are often afraid to eat foods rich in calcium. Actually they can never improve until their calcium and magnesium intakes are adequate. Not infrequently physicians tell individuals with kidney stones to avoid all milk, thereby causing stones to form even more rapidly. Such calcium deposits can also occur when vitamin E is undersupplied. After open-heart surgery, when both magnesium and vitamin E are drastically needed and could easily be given, the calcification of heart muscles often becomes so severe that it can cause death within a few days. Pages 171-172, Lets Eat Right to Keep Fit, Adelle Davis, Signet, 1970.
[snip]
Arteries, kidneys, and other organs calcify during aging. At the age of 90, the amount of calcium in the elastic layer of an artery is about 35 times greater than at the age of 20. Nearly every type of tissue, including the brain, is susceptible to the inflammatory process that leads through fibrosis to calcification. The exception is the skeleton, which loses its calcium as the soft tissues absorb calcium.
[snip]
A diet of milk and fruit, or milk and meat, provides a nutritional balance with generous amounts of calcium and magnesium. Leafy vegetables are a very rich source of magnesium, but they are also a potential source of large amounts of lead and other toxins. In 1960, many people, including the U.S.government, were advocating the use of a largely vegetarian diet for children, because of the amount of radioactive strontium in milk. I compared the amount of strontium in a diet of vegetables that would provide the necessary quantity of calcium and protein, and it was clear that vegetables were the worst source of radioactive strontium, because their ratio of strontium to calcium was much higher than the ratio in milk. The cows were concentrating calcium and protein from the contaminated plant foods, eliminating much of the strontium. This principle still applies to the toxins that are currently found in the U.S. food supply.
Milk has many protective effects besides providing calcium.

In the body, oxalic acid combines with divalent metallic cations such as calcium (Ca2+) and iron(II) (Fe2+) to form crystals of the corresponding oxalates which are then excreted in urine as minute crystals. These oxalates can form larger kidney stones that can obstruct the kidney tubules. An estimated 80% of kidney stones are formed from calcium oxalate.[30] Those with kidney disorders, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, or certain forms of chronic vulvar pain (vulvodynia) are typically advised to avoid foods high in oxalic acid[citation needed]. Methods to reduce the oxalate content in food are of current interest.[31]

Pistachio

K2 works for those who suffer kidney stones likely due to its decalcifying effects. It seems that calcium/oxalate is calcifying and crystallizing in the kidneys. Calcium alone will only worsen kidney stones, unless the great calcium director K2 is taken as well, imo.

Last edited:

LA

K2 works for those who suffer kidney stones likely due to its decalcifying effects. It seems that calcium/oxalate is calcifying and crystallizing in the kidneys. Calcium alone will only worsen kidney stones, unless the great calcium director K2 is taken as well, imo.
yes, K2 is wonderful I take a pill and the liquid too as needed. Good to experiment with what works best for the individual. Everyone is different

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals