Felt Decent On Matt Stone Style But Not High Cal Peat - Help

firebreather

I first heard about Peat from Matt Stone.

I had been doing Paleo for about 4 years. I kind of eased into Matt Stones idea of just eating anything and everything.

I eventually went full throttle and ate a ton of processed food. I was probably easily consuming 6000 cal a day.

When I started eating the high cal my wife couldn't believe the change in my mood and how I wasn't easily stressed. But I gained 30 lbs and most of my clothes didn't fit so I backed off and started eating my whole foods. One thing I noticed while doing the high cal Matt Stone way is that dairy didn't aggravate my nasal allergies which really surprised me.

After backing off for a while the stress came back, cold feet. You know all the crap.

So I started being more intentional about Peating and some of the symptoms like frequent urination got even worse and the milk bothered me.

Then I tried high cal, like 6000 high cal and it didn't improve.

I noticed that while Peating even high cal my motivation to prepare food was gone. And my appetite went to crap and dairy started causing my nasal allergies to flare up again.

I feel so stuck. I can easily put away 6000 cal of processed food but it's full of PUFA so I don't know what to do. When I say Peat high cal I'm talking about moderate protein (100 to 150 ish grams - I weigh 215) with the majority of the other calories coming from sugar.

Any thoughts?

I've tried every type of thyroid and supplement that is Peat(ish) but I either feel nothing or some increased adrenaline if anything.

I'm really struggling with hopelessness

Last edited:

EIRE24

I first heard about Peat from Matt Stone.

I had been doing Paleo for about 4 years. I kind of eased into Matt Stones idea of just eating anything and everything.

I eventually went full throttle and ate a ton of processed food. I was probably easily consuming 6000 cal a day.

When I started eating the high cal my wife couldn't believe the change in my mood and how I wasn't easily stressed. But I gained 30 lbs and most of my clothes didn't fit so I backed off and started eating my whole foods. One thing I noticed while doing the high cal Matt Stone way is that dairy didn't aggravate my nasal allergies which really surprised me.

After backing off for a while the stress came back, cold feet. You know all the crap.

So I started being more intentional about Peating and some of the symptoms like frequent urination got even worse and the milk bothered me.

Then I tried high cal, like 6000 high cal and it didn't improve.

I noticed that while Peating even high cal my motivation to prepare food was gone. And my appetite went to crap and dairy started causing my nasal allergies to flare up again.

I feel so stuck. I can easily put away 6000 cal of processed food but it's full of PUFA so I don't know what to do. When I say Peat high cal I'm talking about moderate protein (100 to 150 ish grams - I weigh 215) with the majority of the other calories coming from sugar.

Any thoughts?

I've tried every type of thyroid and supplement that is Peat(ish) but I either feel nothing or some increased adrenaline if anything.

I'm really struggling with hopelessness
I'd stick with the Matt stone diet if that's what mad you feel better. It's fairly obvious to me

tara

Can't remember if you've posted about trying more starchy foods and less sugar? May not be Peat's first choice, but seems to work better for some of us.

raypeatclips

Why does the "Matt Stone" approach need to be different from Peat's? You can still eat tons of food and not consume PUFA. What were you eating on the "Matt Stone approach" that you feel you can't eat on the "Peat approach?"

OP
F

firebreather

Can't remember if you've posted about trying more starchy foods and less sugar? May not be Peat's first choice, but seems to work better for some of us.

Seems like starch, sugar and saturated all need to be there. At least when I look back on those days when I was eating a lot of everything, those three things would have been there in abundance

tara

Seems like starch, sugar and saturated all need to be there. At least when I look back on those days when I was eating a lot of everything, those three things would have been there in abundance
Any reason not to include all three of those again now?

Lecarpetron

I don't have any useful advice but I feel ya. I split the difference by eating half my calories from whatever tastes good Matt Stone style, and the other half milk/oj/gelatin.

If I eat all whole foods, my temps plunge to rock bottom and I get severe insomnia. Supps have been nice for random/unexpected benefits but don't touch this core problem.

It sounds like your gripe with Stone eating is the weight gain. Do you lift weights? I think people have suggested lifting a few times per week to offset a diet that is neither low fat nor low carb.

OP
F

firebreather

Why does the "Matt Stone" approach need to be different from Peat's? You can still eat tons of food and not consume PUFA. What were you eating on the "Matt Stone approach" that you feel you can't eat on the "Peat approach?"

The Matt Stong approach says to eat the foods you desire as much as you want, not just eat as much as you want.

It just so happens that the foods that are the most tasteful have lots of PUFA

OP
F

firebreather

I don't have any useful advice but I feel ya. I split the difference by eating half my calories from whatever tastes good Matt Stone style, and the other half milk/oj/gelatin.

If I eat all whole foods, my temps plunge to rock bottom and I get severe insomnia. Supps have been nice for random/unexpected benefits but don't touch this core problem.

It sounds like your gripe with Stone eating is the weight gain. Do you lift weights? I think people have suggested lifting a few times per week to offset a diet that is neither low fat nor low carb.

Actually the main issue for me is the PUFA considering that Peat insists that they are a main factor in hypothyroid.

I don't lift weights anymore but I do calisthenics 3 times a week and do some sprints every once in a while

Note

What did you eat on Matt Stone style?
You can still eat it but reduce/avoid PUFA.

raypeatclips

The Matt Stong approach says to eat the foods you desire as much as you want, not just eat as much as you want.

You haven't answered what foods you feel you cannot eat. I was craving burger and chips, after much searching managed to find chips that were cooked in saturated fat, and made my own burgers with a burger bun made with little PUFA. Delicious.

L

lollipop

This. I also find a way to make the things I wish. In truth eating with an intent of reducing PUFA has made me a MUCH better cook - lol - end up making everything myself...

OP
F

firebreather

You haven't answered what foods you feel you cannot eat. I was craving burger and chips, after much searching managed to find chips that were cooked in saturated fat, and made my own burgers with a burger bun made with little PUFA. Delicious.

Oreos, dorritos, reese's peanut butter cup, etc.

HDD

I did a somewhat Matt Stone diet initially to increase my metabolic rate. I made my foods so pufa wasn't an issue. I remember eating pancakes and chili dogs. I think getting enough calories and keeping blood sugar up is probably why you weren't as stressed eating that way. The foods that you were eating are high fat, calorie, sugar, and salt. You can find/make foods that are similar. There is a cookie that is similar to the Girl Scout caramel/coconut/fudge cookie that does not have pufa. I have found it at Aldi's and a similar one at Walmart. You could make a reese's type candy by adding coconut oil to the peanut butter or by using the peanut butter that already has coconut oil in it. As for chips, there are some made with coconut oil. I have been making nachos lately using a baked tostada that does not contain pufa. I also have started making chili con queso. Eating these "fun" foods satisfies my family's desire to eat things that we used to previously eat. Homemade pizza with a crust made with flour that isn't fortified with iron and doesn't have bad oils is another "fun" food I make occasionally for my cheat night.

OP
F

firebreather

I did a somewhat Matt Stone diet initially to increase my metabolic rate. I made my foods so pufa wasn't an issue. I remember eating pancakes and chili dogs. I think getting enough calories and keeping blood sugar up is probably why you weren't as stressed eating that way. The foods that you were eating are high fat, calorie, sugar, and salt. You can find/make foods that are similar. There is a cookie that is similar to the Girl Scout caramel/coconut/fudge cookie that does not have pufa. I have found it at Aldi's and a similar one at Walmart. You could make a reese's type candy by adding coconut oil to the peanut butter or by using the peanut butter that already has coconut oil in it. As for chips, there are some made with coconut oil. I have been making nachos lately using a baked tostada that does not contain pufa. I also have started making chili con queso. Eating these "fun" foods satisfies my family's desire to eat things that we used to previously eat. Homemade pizza with a crust made with flour that isn't fortified with iron and doesn't have bad oils is another "fun" food I make occasionally for my cheat night.

But Peanut Buter has a ton of PUFA.

I did find a coconut oil chips recipe that I'm hoping to try tonight though.

xiaohua

I don't believe that's because of the PUFA itself, it's just incidental because 90% of readily available foods are made with / cooked in cheap oils. If they were made with saturated fats, they would taste the same if not better.

HDD

But Peanut Buter has a ton of PUFA.

I did find a coconut oil chips recipe that I'm hoping to try tonight though.

Yea, peanut butter isn't really good to eat. If you really crave it, mix it with coconut oil and take some vitamin e. Maybe find a less offensive chocolate candy, I used to eat a lot of kit kat bars.

Have you made french fries with coconut oil? I make steak fries in the oven, great with a lot of salt, ketchup, and a Mexican coke!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals