No Biofeedback, Ever?

tara

Exactly. It's all the rage in Japan, they claim it helps not only with oral posture but also with neurological issues, digestion, and acne. I ordered it online, it didn't come with English instructions but I watched a YouTube video.
If it changes people's habits from mouth-breathing to nasal breathing, I can imagine it could improve lots of things.

Maxim

Lecarpetron, what is your diet? What do you eat and most importantly what do you NOT eat? I might have some good advice since I have been where you are now.

OP
Lecarpetron

Lecarpetron

@Maxim

I drink at least 4 glasses of milk and 2 glasses of OJ per day...sometimes I get up to 8 milk/4 OJ if I'm thirsty and can handle the liquid. 1% organic/pasteurized milk, Indian River OJ. I stir Great Lakes green gelatin into my drinks, and stir instant coffee and sugar into any milk I have before 2pm.

Breakfast is usually fruit salad and skyr (Icelandic-style yogurt I get from Whole Foods), or an egg and Alexia frozen hash browns cooked in coconut oil. My other meals aren't very structured beyond avoiding obvious PUFAs like poultry/tortilla chips/mayo/anything deep fried and trying to get as much good stuff as I can fit in, like shellfish, shortribs, European cheese. Even though it is the ONLY food that makes me feel good on the spot, I cannot stand liver and haven't bought any in a while. I have raw oysters about once per week, I live in a good place for them.

I do eat out a lot, and I do eat gluten as I find it hard to hit 2500 cal consistently without occasional pizza/cheeseburger. I've learned that the worst thing I can eat is nothing; the second worst thing is vegetable oil. I've been operating under the assumption that simply swapping in milk/OJ to drink, and mowing down shellfish, cheese, fruit, and gelatinous red meat as much as possible would move things in the right direction. No doubt crap still sneaks in - like carageenan in the chocolate milk that I buy from gas stations when I need a quick snack.

Cronometer says I get ~100 g protein per day, ~50 g fat. I scoop out 1.5 t salt as well and eat that over the day. What do I NEVER eat? Salad, nuts, beans, whole wheat, significant quantities of vegetables, soy.

I'm all ears for your suggestions! Thanks.

Maxim

Just a quick answer before I get the time to write a proper detailed one... For me the life changer has been dropping grains. But it does take time to see the results. I would advise everyone to do 3 weeks grain/gluten free and then eat some bread. Boy oh boy many would be out for a surprise! Modern wheat is poison, in my opinion, wheather due to gluten or something else, that is a different matter. By the way blood testing for gluten intolerance for me was negative. Did the test multiple times. The benefits of dropping grains take months to appear. No quick results. After about half a year you start gaining weight (if you are too thin) since small intestine micro-inflamations will finally disappear and you will start absorbing nutrients better.
Another life changer is drinking sodium bicarbonate on an empty stomach.
Yet another one, eating raw meat.
And if things feel nasty while you are implementing the above three, the chances are one has congested liver/bile ducts, which is greatly helped by liver flushes.

OP
Lecarpetron

Lecarpetron

I've never considered dropping grains because I never felt immediate bad effects from them, but you have my attention with the "absorb nutrients better" thing. What kind of liver flush have you done? Do you take thyroid? I was under the impression that improving thyroid function would in itself clean out the liver.

You know the happy, warm feeling you get when you achieve the state of good digestion/function? I've experienced it (in a very fleeting manner) maybe a handful of times, and I've noticed that 100% of those instances have involved binge eating white flour. Auntie Anne's pretzels, scones, stuff like that. Maybe it was the sugar, or the butter/cream, or just the sheer number of calories I managed to ingest at one time, and not the flour itself?

Thanks for the quick response - I've always thought of gluten problems as acute and immediate, not inflammation that would gently subside over the course of half a year. Time to get lost in gluten free threads on the forum o_O...I was aware Ray thinks people should not eat gluten but I was more focused on what to include than what to exclude.

:arghh: ugh, raw meat? I can do raw oysters all day long, but raw beef....

artist

I'm an artist too (forgive the corny username ) and what I eat and how sick I am definitely impacts how well I can think and draw, even on the level of motor skills deteriorating. I wonder if maybe your digestion is just not a big problem in your case. If nothing I ate made me feel better or worse I'd probably just never think about it anymore

@Maxim

I drink at least 4 glasses of milk and 2 glasses of OJ per day...sometimes I get up to 8 milk/4 OJ if I'm thirsty and can handle the liquid. 1% organic/pasteurized milk, Indian River OJ. I stir Great Lakes green gelatin into my drinks, and stir instant coffee and sugar into any milk I have before 2pm.

Breakfast is usually fruit salad and skyr (Icelandic-style yogurt I get from Whole Foods), or an egg and Alexia frozen hash browns cooked in coconut oil. My other meals aren't very structured beyond avoiding obvious PUFAs like poultry/tortilla chips/mayo/anything deep fried and trying to get as much good stuff as I can fit in, like shellfish, shortribs, European cheese. Even though it is the ONLY food that makes me feel good on the spot, I cannot stand liver and haven't bought any in a while. I have raw oysters about once per week, I live in a good place for them.

I do eat out a lot, and I do eat gluten as I find it hard to hit 2500 cal consistently without occasional pizza/cheeseburger. I've learned that the worst thing I can eat is nothing; the second worst thing is vegetable oil. I've been operating under the assumption that simply swapping in milk/OJ to drink, and mowing down shellfish, cheese, fruit, and gelatinous red meat as much as possible would move things in the right direction. No doubt crap still sneaks in - like carageenan in the chocolate milk that I buy from gas stations when I need a quick snack.

Cronometer says I get ~100 g protein per day, ~50 g fat. I scoop out 1.5 t salt as well and eat that over the day. What do I NEVER eat? Salad, nuts, beans, whole wheat, significant quantities of vegetables, soy.

I'm all ears for your suggestions! Thanks.

indian river is crap. i have used that before too.. the one from whole foods, right? try buying organic valencia from whole foods and buying a juicer from target.. i have one, you cut the organes in half, and then put it on top of this thing that spins and it makes juice in about 5 mins from all of it enough for like 35oz, its not hard.

try eating sugar is isolation, like the OJ JUICED, not indian, or honey alone and watch your temp raise... when that temp is up.. then try the protein.

the milk could be bad too if it has added vitamins to it. i was just at whole foods and walmart, literally every single milk had added vitamins except for two. at whole foods, there was one in a glass jar, trademark and another one that had no brand on it, i called the label and they said there is none.

only whole milk will have no added vitamins due to laws on 2% milk. added vitamins = big no no for me....... that chocolate milk you buy would hurt me, i have to look hard for that. yogurt i believe is bad too due to lactic acid.. look up what blossom says, she said something about that, but i forget exactly the reason, but i just dont eat yogurt at all... also, all the random ingredients in it too

Last edited:

artist

Why do you say Indian River is crap? I live close to where it's made so it's no more expensive than most brands and it's the best tasting commercial OJ I've tried by far. Obviously fresh squeezed is in its own category

@Lecarpetron
Yogurt is not "bad", the lactic acid thing has more or less been debunked and Skyr is strained like Greek yogurt anyway which makes it thoroughly Peat approved. You can pick out something wrong with every single food and it can lead to needless stress.

If I were you I might mostly play with macros, otherwise just keep eating nutritious foods. If liver makes you feel better I'd definitely just make frozen liver pills and swallow them, that's an important clue and you only have so many leads. I think it's interesting because you struggle with your teeth and the one thing that makes my teeth opaque and strong is vitamin A, which I and some others require large amounts of for some reason. I really recommend A if you're gonna bother with the K, apparently the two facilitate each other somehow and that's definitely been my experience. Liver and fat soluble vitamins in general might be the main thing to focus on. Have you tried eating more magnesium or supplementing ? That and starch, though controversial, speed up my digestion like crazy.

OP
Lecarpetron

Lecarpetron

@artist
Even though foods don't "bother" me per se, I have very slow transit, so I consider my digestion poor. "You only have so many leads" - very, very true. I think you are right that I need to suck it up and eat liver. My current supplements: 1 grain NDT, 15 mg K2 in 3 doses, 5000 IU Nutrisorb A, 5000 IU D3, 1 strip of Progest-E, 500 mg Mg Citrate, and 750 mg Niacinamide. Also 325 mg aspirin a few nights per week.

I've only taken Niacinamide for a few weeks, and it has been the only supplement I consider a smoking gun in making positive change. It really helps speed up digestion. Now that I have digestion temporarily revved up, I'm back to thinking about my other Big Problem: insomnia. I've got cyproheptadine in the mail. Also planning to eventually try red light, and switch from NDT to T3/T4. I think the root cause of my insomnia is that I cannot get my dang temps up to normal until 2pm. My body then thinks 2pm is the start of the day, hence I don't fall asleep until 16 hours later.

@mayweatherking
I, too, want to know why Indian River is crap...when I lived in Florida, I used to buy half bushels of Indian River valencia oranges and juice them myself. I can honestly say I feel no difference from just buying the pasteurized IR juice from Whole Foods. Thanks for the suggestion...I will try sugar first, then protein and see if I can get my temps up that way.

tara

Yogurt is not "bad", the lactic acid thing has more or less been debunked
I haven't seen that debunked - where? I've seen Peat comment on downsides of excess lactic acid, and his own sensitivity to it.
But some people seem to be able to handle it fine, and if so it can be a potentially useful source of milk protein.

and Skyr is strained like Greek yogurt anyway which makes it thoroughly Peat approved
Lots of people here seem to do well on skyr/greek or strained yogurt (with most of the whey strained away). But I don't think it's harmless for everyone, and I haven't seen Peat approve it generally. I'd love to be able to eat strained or greek yogurt regularly, and every few months I try it, and confirm that I'm not up to it yet.
I'd say eat it if it doesn't bother you, keep it minimal if it does.

Why do you say Indian River is crap? I live close to where it's made so it's no more expensive than most brands and it's the best tasting commercial OJ I've tried by far. Obviously fresh squeezed is in its own category

@Lecarpetron
Yogurt is not "bad", the lactic acid thing has more or less been debunked and Skyr is strained like Greek yogurt anyway which makes it thoroughly Peat approved. You can pick out something wrong with every single food and it can lead to needless stress.

If I were you I might mostly play with macros, otherwise just keep eating nutritious foods. If liver makes you feel better I'd definitely just make frozen liver pills and swallow them, that's an important clue and you only have so many leads. I think it's interesting because you struggle with your teeth and the one thing that makes my teeth opaque and strong is vitamin A, which I and some others require large amounts of for some reason. I really recommend A if you're gonna bother with the K, apparently the two facilitate each other somehow and that's definitely been my experience. Liver and fat soluble vitamins in general might be the main thing to focus on. Have you tried eating more magnesium or supplementing ? That and starch, though controversial, speed up my digestion like crazy.

@artist
Even though foods don't "bother" me per se, I have very slow transit, so I consider my digestion poor. "You only have so many leads" - very, very true. I think you are right that I need to suck it up and eat liver. My current supplements: 1 grain NDT, 15 mg K2 in 3 doses, 5000 IU Nutrisorb A, 5000 IU D3, 1 strip of Progest-E, 500 mg Mg Citrate, and 750 mg Niacinamide. Also 325 mg aspirin a few nights per week.

I've only taken Niacinamide for a few weeks, and it has been the only supplement I consider a smoking gun in making positive change. It really helps speed up digestion. Now that I have digestion temporarily revved up, I'm back to thinking about my other Big Problem: insomnia. I've got cyproheptadine in the mail. Also planning to eventually try red light, and switch from NDT to T3/T4. I think the root cause of my insomnia is that I cannot get my dang temps up to normal until 2pm. My body then thinks 2pm is the start of the day, hence I don't fall asleep until 16 hours later.

@mayweatherking
I, too, want to know why Indian River is crap...when I lived in Florida, I used to buy half bushels of Indian River valencia oranges and juice them myself. I can honestly say I feel no difference from just buying the pasteurized IR juice from Whole Foods. Thanks for the suggestion...I will try sugar first, then protein and see if I can get my temps up that way.

not sugar first, then protein, sugar until you get your temperature above 98.6, then protein at that point, then monitor your temperature and see if it goes down again, then sugar again to keep it up. :)

because fresh squeezed is untouchable. i mean I guess it is not that bad, but it does come in plastic containers and it leeches into the juice. i never had much luck with it. once i went fresh squeezed, i notice a very strong difference in how i feel.

artist

I haven't seen that debunked - where? I've seen Peat comment on downsides of excess lactic acid, and his own sensitivity to it.
But some people seem to be able to handle it fine, and if so it can be a potentially useful source of milk protein.

Lots of people here seem to do well on skyr/greek or strained yogurt (with most of the whey strained away). But I don't think it's harmless for everyone, and I haven't seen Peat approve it generally. I'd love to be able to eat strained or greek yogurt regularly, and every few months I try it, and confirm that I'm not up to it yet.
I'd say eat it if it doesn't bother you, keep it minimal if it does.
It was on the defunct Peat-site-that-shall-not-be-named. Whether the lactic acid is a big problem or not I won't pretend to know with authority. I will grant of course that yogurt doesn't agree with some people but I guess my point is that it seems a little presumptuous to say "yogurt is bad" considering there are pros and cons to every food and a majority of people do fine with yogurt. "x is bad mmk" should be reserved for foods like vegetable oil imo. Whole milk makes me feel like death but I don't take this to mean it's "bad" and start claiming this every time someone asks for help (despite the fact that many people here rely on it for their main/sole protein source, something Peat has specifically said is bad to do because it's too much fat), it simply has cons the same way yogurt does and those cons are gonna be maginified more in some people than others.

tara

I guess my point is that it seems a little presumptuous to say "yogurt is bad"
Fair enough - I agree that it it's not justified to categorise yogurt/skyr etc as generally bad. I guess I took your comment out of context - sorry. I just didn't think it had been demonstrated that the lactic acid was not a downside for metabolism. As you say, these foods seems to be fine for many people - presumably the ones whose metabolism is not already overburdened with excess lactic acid.

"x is bad mmk" should be reserved for foods like vegetable oil imo.
I agree.

Whole milk makes me feel like death but I don't take this to mean it's "bad" and start claiming this every time someone asks for help (despite the fact that many people here rely on it for their main/sole protein source, something Peat has specifically said is bad to do because it's too much fat), it simply has cons the same way yogurt does and those cons are gonna be maginified more in some people than others.
I agree. I'm having trouble with milk too, but I don't discount it as bad food for everyone.

artist

Fair enough - I agree that it it's not justified to categorise yogurt/skyr etc as generally bad. I guess I took your comment out of context - sorry. I just didn't think it had been demonstrated that the lactic acid was not a downside for metabolism. As you say, these foods seems to be fine for many people - presumably the ones whose metabolism is not already overburdened with excess lactic acid.
No problem, and I should clarify. The issue that I was thinking debunked was whether normal quantities of yogurt had enough lactic acid in it to cause the kind of liver issues Peat had claimed, not whether lactic acid was broadly a downside for metabolism. But in any case if yogurt is frequently causing problems for hypothyroid people then that's something we should keep in mind even if the mechanism doesn't seem to add up at this point. I'm biased the other way because I actually do better with yogurt than plain milk!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals