Transitioning from Fruitarian to Peaty - GERD

Ellycat11

Has anyone struggled with developing pre existing GERD when switching from either a vegan or fruitarian diet back to eating dairy, eggs and protein? I’ve been eating pro metabolic for 7 months.

I was a fruitarian for two years and my GERD disappeared but it’s back and have been told by other Peaty people that it’s probably low stomach acid (from being a fruitarian and vegan for so long) that’s created a low stomach acid environment. I’ve been told it can take years to properly digest dairy, eggs and protein again. Any vague advice I’ve gotten is just to take HCL, Betaine etc. in the mean time???

I’ve also experienced some strange mood swings mostly being irritated to the point of anger but I’m thinking this is probably due to the GERD popping up again just creating more stress and anxiety.

If anyone from a GERD or fruitarian background has any insight I would appreciate it because I’m ready to return to a mostly fruitarian diet again.

OP
E

Ellycat11

Hello!
No I haven’t gotten my B12 level tested, is this something I should supplement with?

Since trying pro metabolic I’ve only really used Vit E and only recently serrapeptase on occasion.

unsubscribed

Hey Ellycat :)

Coming from a fruitarian diet it may be a bit bumpy for a while but if you’re getting your animal based nutrients in the form of Organs etc, you may come right.
Also, perhaps stop with the dairy for a couple weeks and see how you feel then reintroduce very slowly and monitor? :)
Sluggish digestion is a rabbit hole no doubt and if things over time aren’t improving, it probably wouldn’t hurt to have some blood tests to perhaps point you in a direction.

tankasnowgod

Has anyone struggled with developing pre existing GERD when switching from either a vegan or fruitarian diet back to eating dairy, eggs and protein? I’ve been eating pro metabolic for 7 months.

I was a fruitarian for two years and my GERD disappeared but it’s back and have been told by other Peaty people that it’s probably low stomach acid (from being a fruitarian and vegan for so long) that’s created a low stomach acid environment. I’ve been told it can take years to properly digest dairy, eggs and protein again. Any vague advice I’ve gotten is just to take HCL, Betaine etc. in the mean time???

I’ve also experienced some strange mood swings mostly being irritated to the point of anger but I’m thinking this is probably due to the GERD popping up again just creating more stress and anxiety.

If anyone from a GERD or fruitarian background has any insight I would appreciate it because I’m ready to return to a mostly fruitarian diet again.

I would think Amino Acid supplementation would help quite a bit. After two years on a fruitarian diet, I would imagine you have a few deficiencies. Check this thread-

Haidut's modified MAP is really good, and I'm guessing you would benefit from it quite a bit. If you've been low protein for two years as well, you could probably use the regular MAP products, even though the tryptophan and methionine in them aren't ideal. Regardless, it's probably a good idea to add Taurine and Glycine, and both can stimulate stomach acid, especially in your case.

Maybe you could switch to two meals a day with the recommended AA supplementation, and one meal of "real" protein, like eggs or dairy (maybe even meat or gelatin?), starting with a small serving (like one egg or a glass of milk), and work your way up to bigger meals. It might only take a few weeks of this to get you to normal digestion, and you'd be building up protein/AA reserves in the meantime. Also, you may also want to start adding salt to your meals, that can help make stomach acid, according to Peat.

OP
E

Ellycat11

Hey Ellycat :)

Coming from a fruitarian diet it may be a bit bumpy for a while but if you’re getting your animal based nutrients in the form of Organs etc, you may come right.
Also, perhaps stop with the dairy for a couple weeks and see how you feel then reintroduce very slowly and monitor? :)
Sluggish digestion is a rabbit hole no doubt and if things over time aren’t improving, it probably wouldn’t hurt to have some blood tests to perhaps point you in a direction.
Thank you! I may look into getting a blood test at some point sounds like a good idea.

The Ray Peat way is something to work up to, and too many liquids will dilute stomach acids. Try dropping the liquids, it makes a huge difference. I don't have GERD, and get weird burning in my throat once in awhile when I try to drink more milk and oj so I just switch gears and get my calcium from cheesy things like cheese enchiladas, veggies like broccoli and potatoes in macacaroni and cheese sauce. The baking soda recommended on the "Peat" forum for overall good health also works wonders for heartburn, 1/2 tsp in a half glass of water. Raw honeycomb also calms things down. I can't do everything Ray Peat and many others do, but I realize I am so far from where I was just taking out the the bad things. Adding in new things is different for everyone. Don't get discouraged you are on the right track :)

ursidae

I’ve had very low stomach acid. The easiest animal foods to digest in this state for me were raw egg yolks, shrimp, steamed white fish (leaner or medium fat), hydrolysed collagen- should be fully dissolved in warm water and not too much water. The foods need to be body temperature or warmer and not over cooked, better eaten on their own, an hour or more away from starch and fruit. Dairy requires strong digestion and very good health to be broken down in my case. If that’s not the case for you and you’re not allergic to it maybe try cooked goat kefir (bacteria removed), it’s predigested. Adding fat to meats is helpful for their digestion

Last edited:

jet9

Did you try to separate fruit and protein meals 1h apart?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals