Mostly Better But GAS

PUFAfree

I started out with a LOT of issues like cystic acne (abx & soy milk in childhood), but seem to have that mostly under control since going GF&CF, soy free, PUFA free, and avoiding all IGE/IGG+ foods. I took nystatin for yeast and recent gut test had no yeast (but did show some bacterial dysbiosis), but H Pylori was gone. I may have overdone the other supps like oregano, SBO's, Lactoferrin, and many more, but am now off them as they didn't help, gave me acne, etc. Now I only take plant digestive enzymes (occasionally animal-derived w/ ox bile) and betaine hcl, sometimes iodine/selenium. I did GAPS/SCD, food combining, etc. My issue is gas from starchy foods and fruit - nothing has rid me of trouble digesting these. My movements seem normal, everything else seems normal, except for gas. It occurs five hours+ after eating these. My tongue is clear in front, but does have a white coating in the back. My diet is already limited so I don't want to give up starch & fruit. Any suggestions?

Richiebogie

@PUFAfree

Which fruit and starches are you eating?

Any beans, peas, nuts, seeds, rice, barley, corn, potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers etc?

OP
P

PUFAfree

only plantain, potato, sweet potato, mildly green banana (no potato skins, just flesh). Beans, peas, nuts, seeds, rice, barley, corn, eggplant, tomatoes & peppers trigger my other symptoms. Forgot, I also did FODMAPS.

mostlylurking

Eat Carrot salad every day. Read about cascara; it's great stuff and this is a great article! Avoid starches like the plague, including all nuts, seeds, starchy vegetables and starchy fruit (bananas). Avoid all PUFA. Avoid hard to digest vegetable material including all raw salad (except for grated carrots). Only eat well ripened fruit (cook your apples and pears) and do have lots of orange juice. The goal is to feed yourself, not your gut bacteria. It is important to minimize endotoxin. The low stomach acid issue is probably connected to low thyroid.

Consume gelatin frequently; let it be at least half of your daily protein intake. Source is here. The glycine will heal your gut. Start with a small amount and work up as it can paralyze your gut if you just dive in and do a lot at the beginning. Get the balance of your protein (at least 100 grams/day total) from dairy. If you can't tolerate milk, work on improving your body's ability to digest milk by drinking about 2 ounces with each meal. Your body will start making the enzyme it needs to digest milk if it is exposed to small amounts on a regular basis for several weeks.

I spent over 40 years of my life with an abundance of food allergies, leaky gut, low stomach acid, etc. Did the Alcat test twice. It narrowed my eating list to where there wasn't enough left to survive. I follow Ray Peat's advice now. I increased my thyroid medication to 180 mg of natural desiccated thyroid/day about a year ago. It made an enormous difference to my health. My TSH was .04 two years ago; now it is .01. Many doctors think that is too low so it took me a while to find a doctor who would work with me and base the thyroid supplement dosage on my symptoms instead of the test results. Thyroid article here.

I think if your thyroid levels were normal you wouldn't be having digestive issues. Supplementing with iodine can interfere with thyroid. Ray Peat says to not take more than 1 drop of Lugol's / week.

Richiebogie

only plantain, potato, sweet potato, mildly green banana (no potato skins, just flesh). Beans, peas, nuts, seeds, rice, barley, corn, eggplant, tomatoes & peppers trigger my other symptoms. Forgot, I also did FODMAPS.

It is good you are avoiding, grains, nuts, seeds, beans and peas, tomatoes, eggplants and peppers. Dr Steven Gundry says the antinutrients in them cause all manner of diseases and symptoms.

Potato is a nightshade and in the same category so it might be causing problems you haven't yet detected.

Sweet potato is better - the ultimate being pressure cooked for 30 minutes.

Fruitarians prefer ripe bananas, (even mushy with spots), as the starch has converted to sugar. In fact all fruit should be ripe.

Dr Gundry recommends avoiding also animals fed on the high/new lectin foods. That would include farmed chickens, eggs, pigs, some beef and possibly farmed fish.

This would leave grassfed lamb, goat and beef, game, wild fish and seafood.

Dairy may cause issues. Avoid the A1 protein in some milks, yoghurts and cheeses.

Ukall

Eat Carrot salad every day. Read about cascara; it's great stuff and this is a great article! Avoid starches like the plague, including all nuts, seeds, starchy vegetables and starchy fruit (bananas). Avoid all PUFA. Avoid hard to digest vegetable material including all raw salad (except for grated carrots). Only eat well ripened fruit (cook your apples and pears) and do have lots of orange juice. The goal is to feed yourself, not your gut bacteria. It is important to minimize endotoxin. The low stomach acid issue is probably connected to low thyroid.

Consume gelatin frequently; let it be at least half of your daily protein intake. Source is here. The glycine will heal your gut. Start with a small amount and work up as it can paralyze your gut if you just dive in and do a lot at the beginning. Get the balance of your protein (at least 100 grams/day total) from dairy. If you can't tolerate milk, work on improving your body's ability to digest milk by drinking about 2 ounces with each meal. Your body will start making the enzyme it needs to digest milk if it is exposed to small amounts on a regular basis for several weeks.

I spent over 40 years of my life with an abundance of food allergies, leaky gut, low stomach acid, etc. Did the Alcat test twice. It narrowed my eating list to where there wasn't enough left to survive. I follow Ray Peat's advice now. I increased my thyroid medication to 180 mg of natural desiccated thyroid/day about a year ago. It made an enormous difference to my health. My TSH was .04 two years ago; now it is .01. Many doctors think that is too low so it took me a while to find a doctor who would work with me and base the thyroid supplement dosage on my symptoms instead of the test results. Thyroid article here.

I think if your thyroid levels were normal you wouldn't be having digestive issues. Supplementing with iodine can interfere with thyroid. Ray Peat says to not take more than 1 drop of Lugol's / week.
So you've solved all your allergies just by supplementing thyroid? What foods you could only eat before taking thyroid?

@WestCoaster You say a diet that need supplements it's not the right diet for you (as you can see, there are people that indeed read what you say :P). But what if you are allergic to everything? Should a person only stay with foods that are non allergic even if those foods are counted by your hand fingers?

Ukall

It is good you are avoiding, grains, nuts, seeds, beans and peas, tomatoes, eggplants and peppers. Dr Steven Gundry says the antinutrients in them cause all manner of diseases and symptoms.

Potato is a nightshade and in the same category so it might be causing problems you haven't yet detected.

Fruitarians prefer ripe bananas, (even mushy with spots), as the starch has converted to sugar. In fact all fruit should be ripe.

Dr Gundry recommends avoiding also animals fed on the high/new lectin foods. That would include farmed chickens, eggs, pigs, some beef and possibly farmed fish.

Dairy may cause issues. Avoid the A1 protein in some milks, yoghurts and cheeses.
I got issues even A2 protein... but sometimes I wonder if my body would react better with raw milk (my guess is that probably not though).

That moment when you don't have access to non grain fed animals in your country. People in butchers don't even know what animals eat.
Some protocols seem just impossible to follow where I live.

Richiebogie

Hi @Ukall,

We have access to great food here in Australia, but according to nutrition data, our protein needs may be much lower than Ray Peat recommends. We may only need animal food for good fat, vitamins and rare minerals. So look for quality over quantity.

Eg.

Lots of OJ and ripe fruit (except tomatoes and peppers)
50g parmasan or aged cheddar
Coffee & 200 mg aspirin
50g chocolate

100g tuna canned in spring water Monday
100g shrimp Tuesday
100g oysters Wednesday
100g whitebait Thursday
100g white seafish Friday
100g octopus Saturday
100g grass fed Australian lamb shank Sunday

cb4

Love all the sugar and carbs in this diet, can even get used to taste of cow milk (goat milk is better), I am warming up and feeling ok except all this milk is just plugging me up. Where can I get more fiber? And does fiber ruin the effects of the diet? Pooping has been like giving birth since starting to Peat. I cant take it anymore....

Richiebogie

Hi @cb4,

Feel free to vary your Ray Peat diet to suit you. The main ideas are that fruit, orange juice, coffee, aspirin, gelatin, dairy, liver, grass fed beef and lamb, oysters are good, and PUFA, grains, nuts, seeds, leaves and high-fibre low-energy vegetables are bad.

I like double pulp OJ, ripe bananas, raspberries, prunes, dates & dried figs with some seafood.

See how you feel reducing milk and increasing fruit...

cb4

Thanks @Richiebogie !
I am going to try some prunes. Been eating some dates but obviously not enough. I like the idea of getting protein from milk and not meat so I hope that I can eventually drink Peaty volumes of milk. Raw goat milk calms me down and gives sustaining energy.

Richiebogie

Hi @cb4, Raw goat milk should avoid the A1 casein protein which is good, but experiment with quantities.

If fruit is the perfect human food then the optimal amount of milk may be a litre a month not 2 litres a day!

One body builder on youtube said fruit had the perfect magnesium to calcium ratio and the perfect potassium to sodium ratio, but it may require a bit of animal or vegetable supplementation!

tara

My diet is already limited so I don't want to give up starch & fruit. Any suggestions?
I like the idea of you not getting any more restrictive unless you really need to - you've got to eat something.
I wonder how long you've been doing the current routine? It can take the gut a while to adjust to new foods, so if you've recently restarted fruits and starchy foods, consider giving it a few weeks. If your only problem is gas, there are worse things.
I've increased my potato consumption over the last several months, and I think I produce less gas from it now than I did when I ate them more seldom.

I second raw carrot salad between meals. Could try activated charcoal.

Could also try switching out some of the whole fruit for strained or clear juices.

M

marikay

Just want to point out that Ray does not recommend sweet potatoes or bananas. His is, however, more than fine with well cooked potatoes. He doesn't put much stock in the A1/A2 milk theory. And he eats eggs, averaging one a day. Thought I'd mention this since it is the Ray Peat Forum. Cheers.

kevinjohore

I suspect Gundry is using Fear of Lectins to peddle his expensive supplements. At his Nutrition Facts website, find Dr Greger's video entitled "Dr. Gundry’s The Plant Paradox is Wrong".

M

metabolizm

@mostlylurking old comment now, but I love what you've written here. Do you still incorporate all these elements to lower gas and bloating? Would you still recommend all of them (including zero starch)?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals