Milk causing joint pain and tonsil stones

Hi I'm a new user here and just recently got into the whole ray peat lifestyle. I've been doing the carrot salads twice a week and just recently started drinking milk. At first I had a bit of gastrointestinal trouble and lactose intolerance symptoms but as the doctor said, if you keep drinking and push through it eventually your body starts to accept it.

The milk has been helping me out a lot. I've always been very skinny but recently I've gained some weight and have no trouble maintaining my weight even if I don't eat a lot.

The only problem is I get very bad tonsil stones from drinking milk and the bad breath and irritation make it not worth drinking. I've read from my research that the tonsil stones are a reaction from milk allergy and are caused by mucus in the back of the throat.

My question is has anyone else had trouble dealing with this and is there a ray peat solution to tonsil stones and or milk allergies.

tara

Welcome pimpnamedraypeat :welcome

I have not heard of tonsil stones, nor yet read anything from Peat about them. There are a few people here who struggle with milk. I have struggled with other reactions to milk (fuzzy-headedness) that I doubt is to the lactose, and haven't got it figured out yet. It improved somewhat with progesterone, but has come back at me again recently, so I've cut back on milk consumption for the time being.

Peat has said most people can build up to being able to handle lactose by starting small and gradually increasing. But if you are getting serious allergic/histamine reactions and significant bad symptoms, that may be to proteins rather than sugars, and it may be causing more stress than support to your system at the moment. I'd agree with you its probably not worth it. You may want to try again after a while after trying other tactics to strengthen your system.

Some people find they do well with some kinds of milk and not others - eg some people swear by whole raw milk, while others do better on pasturised. If you can tolerate testing the different kinds available where you are, you may or may not find it makes a difference for you.

Peat recommends more calcium than phosphorus in the diet, and without milk that can be hard to do. Peat recommends egg shell powder as first choice of calcium supplement, second choice oyster shell powder. And if you are not drinking milk (or eating cheese) you still need to get your protein from somewhere - at least 80 grams/day, more for most people.

Any tactics you use to raise metabolism will require more fuel. If you are too thin and are having trouble gaining/maintaining weight because you are not eating much, it seems unlikley to me that you will be able to recover or maintain health fully without increasing the quantity of nutrition along with whatever other changes you decide to try.

Hopefully you'll get other thoughts from other people.

OP
pimpnamedraypeat
Thanks for the respond. I think I eat enough it's just the way my body is I can't seem to gain weight.

tara

pimpnamedraypeat said:
The milk has been helping me out a lot. I've always been very skinny but recently I've gained some weight and have no trouble maintaining my weight even if I don't eat a lot.

pimpnamedraypeat said:
I think I eat enough it's just the way my body is I can't seem to gain weight.

Hi, I used to think that if I was maintaining my weight that meant I was eating enough. I've now learned that the body has very good survival mechanisms that reduce metabolism in response to famine, so we don't catabolise ourselves so fast. This is great for short-medium term survival, but it has costs - lots of repair and maintenance is deferred, body temperature is reduced, and eventually many systems can have trouble functioning optimally. If the famine continues, organs are gradually catabolised for fuel (eg the thymus is often an early casualty).
This may not apply to you, and you can of course ignore it if you want, but I'm just seeing clues in what you've written. If someone isn't eating enough to support a strong metabolism, it seems that can be the cause of a lot of difficulties. Apparently average weight-stable non-dieting men eat about 3000 calories a day. Peat recommends at least 80g protein; many do better with more.
But it could be, as you say, other things about the way your body works.
One way to assess metabolism is to monitor body temp and pulse.