What are some good Peat sources of manganese?

sweetly

Rich dietary sources of manganese include nuts and seeds, wheat germ and whole grains (including unrefined cereals, buckwheat, bulgur wheat, and oats), legumes, and pineapples.

HDD

Mussels and chocolate

schultz

A strong cup of coffee has about 8% last time I checked (not sure if they list this in the USDA database, but studies do), so if you drink 5 cups a day you are getting 40%. I consider a cup of coffee to be 10g of coffee beans and a strong cup of coffee to be 30g of coffee beans.

Maple syrup has 25% for a tablespoon or something like that. The jug of syrup I have says it has 160% manganese for a quarter cup. I'm not sure if it's accurate, but the food database lists maple syrup at 25% so I don't really care.

If you do okay with starch, white rice has 30% for 150g.

Most fruit has like 5% for every 100 calories or so. If you a lot of fruit, it starts to add up. I just plugged in equal parts calorie wise of grapes, cherimoya, watermelon, dates and mango, totaling 1000 calories and it added up to 50% manganese.

Oh I almost forgot... Wild blueberries have 87% manganese for a half cup (which is like 40 calories). I don't lose sleep over the seeds in berries.

sweetly

halken said:
Hibiscus tea.

HDD said:
Mussels and chocolate

Dean said:
black cherry juice

schultz said:
A strong cup of coffee has about 8% last time I checked (not sure if they list this in the USDA database, but studies do), so if you drink 5 cups a day you are getting 40%. I consider a cup of coffee to be 10g of coffee beans and a strong cup of coffee to be 30g of coffee beans.

Maple syrup has 25% for a tablespoon or something like that. The jug of syrup I have says it has 160% manganese for a quarter cup. I'm not sure if it's accurate, but the food database lists maple syrup at 25% so I don't really care.

If you do okay with starch, white rice has 30% for 150g.

Most fruit has like 5% for every 100 calories or so. If you a lot of fruit, it starts to add up. I just plugged in equal parts calorie wise of grapes, cherimoya, watermelon, dates and mango, totaling 1000 calories and it added up to 50% manganese.

Oh I almost forgot... Wild blueberries have 87% manganese for a half cup (which is like 40 calories). I don't lose sleep over the seeds in berries.

BobbyDukes said:
Coconut water

Thanks guys! :salute

Peata

from peatarian email exchanges with RP:

Manganese
Yes, but occasional eggs, liver, oysters, etc., provide enough.

tara

zucchini: 100g cooked~
0.2 mg manganese ~ 9% RDI

Lance12

How does occasional eggs, liver, and oysters provide enough? I put in 7 eggs, 2oz liver, and 2 oz oysters and only got 27% of my "daily" value for my weekly servings. That's enough for about 1 egg a day, liver and oysters once a week. Unless the standard is wrong, I dunno what is correct.

Manganese does seem to relate to some high iron foods like coco too. So are we suppose to get as low iron and manganese as possible? even if it means going below our daily amount? The only cheap source I have found is maple syrup, wonder if that's why Canadians can be so attractive. Manganese is also good for spinal development I think.

Dean

Lance12 said:
How does occasional eggs, liver, and oysters provide enough? I put in 7 eggs, 2oz liver, and 2 oz oysters and only got 27% of my "daily" value for my weekly servings. That's enough for about 1 egg a day, liver and oysters once a week. Unless the standard is wrong, I dunno what is correct.

Manganese does seem to relate to some high iron foods like coco too. So are we suppose to get as low iron and manganese as possible? even if it means going below our daily amount? The only cheap source I have found is maple syrup, wonder if that's why Canadians can be so attractive. Manganese is also good for spinal development I think.

Something to keep in mind is that if you are "peating" you aren't taking in many or even any anti-nutrients that you get in grains, legumes, and veggies; so, I don't think it's all that relevant to worry about whether you are hitting 100% of the recommended daily value which is based on a diet very high in anti-nutrient intake.

Lin

Good point, Dean, about not eating the anti-nutrients.

According to Chronometer, Yerba mate tea has a huge amount of manganese. I'm not sure that I believe it, though.

BobbyDukes

cantstoppeating said:
Find the darkest chocolate you can and eat it once a week to get manganese, it tastes great with OJ.

According to cronometer, 85% cacao solids @100g, gives 1.95mg of mangenese, or 85% of the daily requirement. What does your manganese intake look like on the six days you don't eat chocolate, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, does its purported iron content not bother you? 11.9mg in 100g. Maybe it's nowhere near as absorbable as iron from a steak. Maybe not good to take with OJ, though?

BobbyDukes said:
cantstoppeating said:
Find the darkest chocolate you can and eat it once a week to get manganese, it tastes great with OJ.

According to cronometer, 85% cacao solids @100g, gives 1.95mg of mangenese, or 85% of the daily requirement. What does your manganese intake look like on the six days you don't eat chocolate, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, does its purported iron content not bother you? 11.9mg in 100g. Maybe it's nowhere near as absorbable as iron from a steak. Maybe not good to take with OJ, though?

I don't know what my manganese intake looks like on the six days I don't often eat chocolate. Cronometer shows it at 0%. I'm not worried about my manganese intake, I'm confident I'm getting enough from the other foods I eat even though cronometer doesn't record it.