Enzymes And Biogenic Amines In Food : Your Experiences ?

Nuancé

Hello,

I think it's a very interesting subject. Everyone talks about macronutriments, fibers, vitamins, minerals, sometimes antioxidants... but rarely about enzymes and biogenic amines.
Yet they could have concrete impacts on health !

For example, kiwifruit, said to be high in serotonin... improves sleep in a couple of studies.

Effect of kiwifruit consumption on sleep quality in adults with sleep problems - PubMed

The effects of kiwi fruit consumption in students with chronic insomnia symptoms: a randomized controlled trial

Kiwi also contains a enzyme, actinidin, who has an impact on protein digestion. Pineapple also has an enzyme, bromelain, papaya has papain...
They are sometimes used to tenderize meat or fish.

Bananas and plantains are rich in serotonin and dopamine, especially the skin.

Bioactive compounds in banana fruits and their health benefits

Biogenic amines can also be detrimental or problematic in excess, like everything. The histamine content of foods for example, can trigger some diseases or cause headaches.
I've experienced once a strong feeling of fatigue when I've left mackerels two days in my fridge haha (the histamine amount increases with time in some fishes).

Dietary Neurotransmitters: A Narrative Review on Current Knowledge

Phytase, an enzyme found in some raw whole grains (rye, buckwheat, wheat, spelt, kamut mainly) could destroy the phytic acid in foods.

Activation of Endogenous Phytase and Degradation of Phytate in Wheat Bran - PubMed

Error - Cookies Turned Off

I stop here ! If you have other scientific datas on the subject, or personal experiences like mine with histamine in mackerel, some people have good experiences with milk at bedtime...

Share it here. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals