The Peat Diet Guide: Hit Your Macros, Micros, And Banish PUFA

DaveFoster

I think we need to re-open the mead acid depletion talks.

Let's see what the nutrition looks like. The objective:

LOWEST PUFA POSSIBLE.

PART 1

Low-fat milk for those who think skim is gross, and skim for the autists who hate cancer.

We got a gallon of milk:

upload_2016-12-7_14-37-45.png

PUFA: 1.3 g

We need some folate, so let's throw in some OJ. Say 1/4 gallon.

upload_2016-12-7_14-40-5.png

PUFA: 1.7 g

We still need some niacin; coffee will take care of that. I'm using schultz's figures here: Magnesium In Coffee except for a few B vitamins and manganese because I did not see the source.

upload_2016-12-7_14-57-42.png

PUFA: 1.7 g

Vitamin A is skewed by the added vitamins to the milk and beta carotene from the OJ, so let's add some liver. 0.5 oz per day should be sufficient for extra B12, vitamin A (retinol) and copper. That's going to bump PUFA up a bit, unfortunately.

upload_2016-12-7_15-0-46.png

PUFA: 1.8 g

For biotin, 1 gallon of milk has around 60 mcg, source: Food Data Chart - Biotin with 28 mcg in 0.5 oz liver, source: Sources of biotin (liver, egg yolk, animal tissues, tomatoes, brewer's yeast)

For vitamin E, here are some good sources: Any Good Peat-Approved Food Sources Of Vitamin E?
It's probably a good idea to supplement vitamin E, as most food sources are inflammatory.

Vitamin K2 is found mostly in cheeses, particularly gouda. Again, it's not a bad idea to supplement K2 (MK-4).

For manganese there are a few options: mussels, grape juice or grapes, chocolate, blackstrap molasses, but by far the best option is pineapple. Pineapple, while high in serotonin has so much manganese that only a little bit must be used to satisfy the RDA. 1,5 cups will do so.

However, I'm going to add cocoa powder, which has some benefits and added copper and manganese. It's generally a very beneficial, dopaminergic food. 2 TBSP is an okay amount.

upload_2016-12-7_15-16-59.png

PUFA: 1.8 g

Now let's add some pineapple. Just over one cup will give enough manganese:

upload_2016-12-7_15-19-27.png

PUFA: 1.9 g

All nutrients are in check with just under 2 g PUFA. Let's take a look at macronutrients:

View attachment 4104
View attachment 4105

This is a fine diet for a teenage girl, but more calories are needed for older folks.

Here's a picture of what the food options look like:

View attachment 4108

If skim milk is used instead of 1%, then PUFA drops to 0.8 g.

With low-fat (1% milkfat) milk, PUFA is 4.7% of fat.

With skim milk, PUFA jumps to 10.9% of fat, as most of the fat provided was from the milk.

Stay tuned for part 2, where we'll increase calories.

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-7_15-5-8.png
    upload_2016-12-7_15-5-8.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 149
  • upload_2016-12-7_15-30-39.png
    upload_2016-12-7_15-30-39.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

PART 2

From here, you can add potatoes or whatever filler you like for calories; even white sugar, although you might need more minerals, particularly calcium, magnesium, potassium, as well as thiamine.

More fat is needed; the best approach would be to add fully hydrogenated coconut oil. To work this into your diet, you can fry foods in it, such as potatoes, meats, or vegetables (cooked spinach, although high in oxalates is quite nutritious.)

0.5 cup is quite a bit, but it's what I consume, so let's add that. You can add whatever you want, but the goal is to get the SFA, PUFA ratio to around 100:1, while keeping PUFA as low as possible (under 4 grams at least). Peat himself says that 50% fat, 25% protein, and 25% carbs is probably the ideal human macronutrient ratio. As calories go up, carbs should go up. At at a very high calorie diet; the ratio would look more like 25% fat, 15% protein, and 60% carbs

upload_2016-12-7_15-41-44.png

upload_2016-12-7_15-41-54.png

PUFA: 2 g

A couple potatoes fried in the coconut oil would complete the picture nicely, but would add some starch, which is not optimal. Blending the coconut oil with the milk, cocoa powder, coffee, and some sugar makes a nice coffee drink. Gelatin may be added, although protein is quite high already, so let's add 1 cup of sugar.

upload_2016-12-7_15-44-4.png

PUFA: 2 g
This should do fine for most people. Alternatively, one could use honey or molasses (although Peat believes the latter to be allergenic) as a sweetener in place of or in addition to the sugar.

Blackstrap molasses contains 7% RDA iron per serving, so it's useful to people who have depleted their iron stores too much. It also has 33% RDA for calcium, 48% copper, 17% magnesium, 24% manganese, and 10% potassium, with 7% selenium.

PUFA stands at 2 grams with low-fat milk at 1.3% of calories.

With skim milk, PUFA drops to 0.8 g at 0.6% of calories: less than a percent, where mead acid will be expressed with its antiinflammatory effects.

Oysters and egg yolks, while nutritious contain significant amounts of PUFA, particularly the latter. Eating one oyster per day, or the equivalent regularly will provide 7.3 mg extra zinc, 66% of the RDA, which should help offset the large intake of copper.

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-7_15-35-39.png
    upload_2016-12-7_15-35-39.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

WestCoaster

I honestly think the numbers are going to be skewed unless someone makes their own OJ from pulverizing oranges, and drinking raw milk. A lot of commercial OJ is stored in giant tanks with oxygen removed as to last up to a year (then flavor packs added later). Unless your drinking raw grass fed milk (which is hard to find), with the rest of the milk, you have no real idea what the diet was of animal that produced it.

Much like grass fed vs grain fed beef. One's good, the other not so good, but we are lead to believe beef (protein) is good, but it is highly dependent on where exactly the nutrients came from that fed the animal.

Agent207

I honestly think the numbers are going to be skewed unless someone makes their own OJ from pulverizing oranges, and drinking raw milk. A lot of commercial OJ is stored in giant tanks with oxygen removed as to last up to a year (then flavor packs added later). Unless your drinking raw grass fed milk (which is hard to find), with the rest of the milk, you have no real idea what the diet was of animal that produced it.

Much like grass fed vs grain fed beef. One's good, the other not so good, but we are lead to believe beef (protein) is good, but it is highly dependent on where exactly the nutrients came from that fed the animal.

Couldn't agree more with this.

Wagner83

Thanks for your effort OP.

Apart from a a couple of potatoes, perhaps meat and an oyster this is a liquid only diet , which may be troublesome for many (wild guess) .

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I think OJ should be fresh squeezed. Beef may be a good protein, but it's not a great protein.

Thanks for your effort OP.

Apart from a a couple of potatoes, perhaps meat and an oyster this is a liquid only diet , which may be troublesome for many (wild guess) .
Replacing the milk with cottage cheese will add some solids, and I don't think 1/4 gallon of OJ constitutes a liquid diet.

With the milk, most will need to consume some liquid throughout the day, so I think with some potatoes, eggs, maybe some oysters, 1/2 gallon of milk and 1/4 gallon of OJ/day is feasible with salt to compensate of course. This is a more optimal schedule, not really for hypo folks. They'd do better on more solids, you're right.

Wagner83

Lol following a peatish diet can lead to all sorts of original eating habits.

sladerunner69

This is great I had always been thinking what the lowest possible pufa diet would be about. The thing is, though, when using chron-o-meter it is important to note that it was designed by fools and I found that few of the nutrient profiles of the foods were complete or accurate...

Some of the cheeses will have no calcium and the orange juice wont include narangin and the eggs wont include choline or vitamin a yada yada yada. Did you adjust for all that my man?

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

This is great I had always been thinking what the lowest possible pufa diet would be about. The thing is, though, when using chron-o-meter it is important to note that it was designed by fools and I found that few of the nutrient profiles of the foods were complete or accurate...

Some of the cheeses will have no calcium and the orange juice wont include narangin and the eggs wont include choline or vitamin a yada yada yada. Did you adjust for all that my man?
The eggs concluded choline but not vitamin A. I get what you mean, but it eliminates the point of using crono-meter if I need to design all the nutritional profiles myself.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Where did you read/hear that? I feel great consuming it so I'll keep it available as an easy source of nutritious sugar calories.
He thinks its allergenic; that's from an interview.

In another interview he thinks its carcinogenic.

Fractality

He thinks its allergenic; that's from an interview.

In another interview he thinks its carcinogenic.

I would be interested if you come across that interview. I know he has said something similar about blackstrap molasses. Also, I don't see anything on this forum inferring that maple syrup is allergenic/carcinogenic.