Water Retention And Potassium: Big Changes In 2 Days! What's Going On?

AnonE

I've been working very hard on my health and fitness, maybe a little too hard, but for the last few months I was hitting a wall. I was gaining weight and bloat, a bit of strength too, but I couldn't turn around the bloat no matter how much cardio I was doing.

After some research, and after a day of feeling particularly bad when taking vitamin D (big stomach cramp and headache), I decided that it's time to start trying to figure out What the Hell is Going On.

This is where Orange Juice comes in. I consistently feel good drinking OJ, and I noticed in the past that even though it has calories, it always seems to give me a 'leaning out' effect.

So I do some more study, and I come across potassium. Hmm, not really a vitamin (is an electrolyte), not talked about much, maybe not that important. Then I realize, I've been salting more and eating out more. That means very high sodium. But Peat teachings suggested sodium is good, so I didn't think anything of it. So I read more, and realize that the following imbalances likely were occurring:

- High sodium : potassium ratio; hence why OJ always feels good. And in general, this may be true for most urban western populations, everyone loves a good glass of OJ, even if they protest at the sugar.

- Why was vitamin D making me feel so bad? Well my understanding is that vitamin D helps you absorb calcium, I do decent on calcium, have been high vit D supplementing for years, and so it's possible I have a very high calcium : potassium ratio.

- In analyzing my diet (which unfortunately doesn't include enough salads/greens), it became quite clear to me that if I don't drink OJ, I pretty much don't get potassium. Besides for most foods that contain potassium, you need like a kilo of the damn thing per day to get into to 4 gram+ range.

The experiment of the last 48 hours has been really panning out well for me. I'm drinking 2+ liters of OJ a day, stopped vitamin D, and at the same body weight the bloating, water retention, fatigue is all dissipating. I'm going to continue 2L of OJ a day for a week or so more and see where this takes me.

Thoughts and experiences? Water retention *really* pisses me off, because even in the past when I was working out really well and got my body to the shape and weight I wanted, I was still holding water and couldn't take a decent picture unless I did sauna sweating, tricks with cold weather, etc.

OP
A

AnonE

Here's an interesting (reputability unknown) source on ratios between various nutrients and minerals:

ARL : Basic Ratios and Their Meaning

It's from a hair mineral analysis site, not sure how useful those are. I did get one done a little over a year ago with a different company (before I did some on-and-off Peating, so hopefully some of these are better, but some could be worse from my self-experimentation) and I had the following:

Ca:Mg - 12.1
Ca:P - 3.4
Ca:K - 11.3 (the link above says this was bad, "Moderate sluggish thyroid 25-50% energy loss"; I worry it may be worse now.)
Ca:Na - 3.5
Ca:Fe - 66.0
Na:K - 3.2 (this is the one that was concerning me, it might have been better a year ago, I reckon it's worse now though I should get it re-tested.)
Na:Mg - 3.5
Zn:Cu - 19.3 (on my original test, this was flagged as slightly too high, though it makes sense, I reduced my zinc supps over the last year from 200mg when I was misinformed)

...And there's a bunch of other stuff on my old hair mineral test I can dig up.

What do you guys think of measuring ratios, and as an aside, are hair mineral tests any use?

Last edited:

Runenight201

If you're eating meat, dairy, oj, and potatoes, you'll have no problems hitting potassium goals.

Do you have no issues with frequent urination with all that oj?

OP
A

AnonE

I remember a year ago around the time of that hair mineral test, before I re-discovered OJ, I had very frequent urination and high thirst (always drinking water). Not the case anymore with OJ, urination seems normal, or at least less than before.

Runenight201

I find myself rarely finding water appealing these days, especially during the cold winter months when sweating rarely occurs. OJ or soda are much better ways of hydrating and consuming energy at the same time.

fradon

I've been working very hard on my health and fitness, maybe a little too hard, but for the last few months I was hitting a wall. I was gaining weight and bloat, a bit of strength too, but I couldn't turn around the bloat no matter how much cardio I was doing.

After some research, and after a day of feeling particularly bad when taking vitamin D (big stomach cramp and headache), I decided that it's time to start trying to figure out What the Hell is Going On.

This is where Orange Juice comes in. I consistently feel good drinking OJ, and I noticed in the past that even though it has calories, it always seems to give me a 'leaning out' effect.

So I do some more study, and I come across potassium. Hmm, not really a vitamin (is an electrolyte), not talked about much, maybe not that important. Then I realize, I've been salting more and eating out more. That means very high sodium. But Peat teachings suggested sodium is good, so I didn't think anything of it. So I read more, and realize that the following imbalances likely were occurring:

- High sodium : potassium ratio; hence why OJ always feels good. And in general, this may be true for most urban western populations, everyone loves a good glass of OJ, even if they protest at the sugar.

- Why was vitamin D making me feel so bad? Well my understanding is that vitamin D helps you absorb calcium, I do decent on calcium, have been high vit D supplementing for years, and so it's possible I have a very high calcium : potassium ratio.

- In analyzing my diet (which unfortunately doesn't include enough salads/greens), it became quite clear to me that if I don't drink OJ, I pretty much don't get potassium. Besides for most foods that contain potassium, you need like a kilo of the damn thing per day to get into to 4 gram+ range.

The experiment of the last 48 hours has been really panning out well for me. I'm drinking 2+ liters of OJ a day, stopped vitamin D, and at the same body weight the bloating, water retention, fatigue is all dissipating. I'm going to continue 2L of OJ a day for a week or so more and see where this takes me.

Thoughts and experiences? Water retention *really* pisses me off, because even in the past when I was working out really well and got my body to the shape and weight I wanted, I was still holding water and couldn't take a decent picture unless I did sauna sweating, tricks with cold weather, etc.

oj boosts thyroid which helps alleviate bloat and fluid retention. vitamin c also helps. potassium also helps the thyroid

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals