Does Potassium Bicarbonate Fare Better Than Sodium Bicarbonate In Improving Calcium Balance?

Amazoniac

It seems so, but I didn't read any of these, it's just that they appeared interesting enough to share:

- Potassium bicarbonate, but not sodium bicarbonate, reduces urinary calcium excretion and improves calcium balance in healthy men
"Previous studies demonstrated that the administration of NaHCO3 or sodium citrate had either only a small effect to reduce urinary Ca excretion or no effect, but that potassium citrate significantly reduced urinary Ca
excretion. In order to further evaluate and compare the effects of NaHCO3 and of KHCO3, we performed ten metabolic balances in healthy men during 18 control days, 12 days of NaHCO3. 60 mmol/day and 12 days of KHCO3, 60 mmol/day. Six subjects were fed a low Ca diet (5.2 0.7 SD mmol/day) and three of these were also given calcitriol (0.5 sg 6-hourly). Four subjects ate a normal Ca diet (19.5 1.3 mmol/day). For all 10 subjects, KHCO3 administration reduced urinary Ca excretion from control by —0.9 0.7 mmol/day, P<0.001. Net intestinal Ca absorption did not change detectably so that Ca balances became less negative by a +0.90.9 mmol/day; P=0.01. KHCO3 administration was also accompanied by more positive PO4 and Mg balances. NaHCO3 administration had no significant effect on urinary Ca excretion or Ca balance. NaHCO3 and KHCO3 administration were accompanied by equivalently more positive Na or K balances, respectively and equivalently more negative acid balances (HCO3 retention). Neither NaHC0 or KHCO3 altered fasting serum HCO3 concentrations, blood pH, serum 1 ,25-(OH)rD or PTH concentrations. We conclude that KHCO3 promotes more positive Ca balances by either enhancing renal Ca retention or skeletal Ca retention or both."

- https://www.kidneyinternational-online.org/article/S0085-2538(15)47155-8/
"KHCO3 was superior to KCl as an adjunct to HCTZ [hydrochlorothiazide], inducing a twofold greater reduction in urine calcium excretion, and completely neutralizing endogenous acid production so as to correct the pre-existing mild metabolic acidosis that an acid-producing diet usually induces in older people. Accordingly, for reducing urine calcium excretion in stone disease and osteoporosis, the combination of HCTZ + KHCO3 may be preferable to that of HCTZ + KCl."

- Effects of Potassium Chloride and Potassium Bicarbonate on Endothelial Function, Cardiovascular Risk Factors, and Bone Turnover in Mild Hypertensives
"Compared with placebo, both potassium chloride and potassium bicarbonate significantly improved endothelial function as measured by brachial artery flow-mediated dilatation, increased arterial compliance as assessed by carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity, decreased left ventricular mass, and improved left ventricular diastolic function. There was no significant difference between the 2 potassium salts in these measurements. The study also showed that potassium chloride reduced 24-hour urinary albumin and albumin:creatinine ratio, and potassium bicarbonate decreased 24-hour urinary calcium, calcium:creatinine ratio, and plasma C-terminal cross-linking telopeptide of type 1 collagen significantly. These results demonstrated that an increase in potassium intake had beneficial effects on the cardiovascular system, and potassium bicarbonate may improve bone health. Importantly, these effects were found in individuals who already had a relatively low-salt and high-potassium intake."

- Potassium administration decreases and potassium deprivation increases urinary calcium excretion in healthy adult
"Both daily urinary Ca excretion and fasting UCaV/GFR [calcium pee/glomerular filtration of the rates] returned toward or to control at the end of recovery. These observations indicate that: 1) KHCO3 decreases fasting and 24-hour urinary Ca excretion; 2) KCl nor NaHCO3, unlike NaCl, do not increase fasting or 24-hour Ca excretion and 3) K deprivation increases both fasting and 24-hour urinary Ca excretion whether the accompanying anion is Cl- or HCO3-. The mechanisms for this effect of K may be mediated by: 1) alterations in ECF volume, since transient increases in urinary Na and Cl excretion and weight loss accompanied KCl or KHCO3 administration, while persistent reductions in urinary Na and Cl excretion and a trend for weight gain accompanied K deprivation; 2) K mediated alterations in renal tubular phosphate transport and renal synthesis of 1.25-(OH)2-vitamin D, since KCl or KHCO3 administration tended to be accompanied by a rise in fasting serum PO4 and TmPO4 and a fall in fasting UPO4 V/GFR, a fall in serum 1,25-(OH)2-D and a decrease in fasting UCa V/GFR, while dietary KCl or KHCO3 deprivation were accompanied by a reverse sequence."

- Potassium Causes Calcium Retention in Healthy Adults | The Journal of Nutrition | Oxford Academic
"The administration of 60 mmol/d of KHCO3 to healthy adults reduced urinary calcium excretion by 0.9 mmol/d and caused calcium balance to become equivalently more positive. Other studies showed that 90 mmol/d of KHCO3 reduced both daily and fasting urinary calcium excretion rates, whereas deprivation of either KCl or KHCO3, using synthetic diets, was accompanied by increased daily and fasting urinary calcium excretion rates. A significant inverse relationship between the changes in urinary calcium and the changes in urinary potassium was observed: Δ urinary Ca (mmol/d) = 0.29 - 0.015 Δ urinary K (mmol/d); r = -0.65. Correlative evaluation of additional data suggested that the fall in urinary calcium during potassium administration may be related to the natriuretic effects of potassium, resulting in ECF-volume contraction or to potassium-induced phosphate retention and suppression of calcitriol synthesis, or to both mechanisms."

- Long-Term Persistence of the Urine Calcium-Lowering Effect of Potassium Bicarbonate in Postmenopausal Women | The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism | Oxford Academic
"KBC [K bicarb] treatment induced a dose-dependent decrease in UCaV/Cr[eatine] that persisted up to 36 months, with the greatest decreases occurring in those women with the greatest baseline UCaV, nearly a third of whom had high baseline calciuria. Thus, one can preselect postmenopausal women most likely to have the urine calcium-lowering effect of KBC and predict their potential bone calcium increase."

- Effects of potassium chloride and potassium bicarbonate in the diet on urinary pH and mineral excretion of adult cats | British Journal of Nutrition | Cambridge Core :emoji_smiley_cat:
"In conclusion, the dietary inclusion of KHCO₃ instead of KCl as K source could be beneficial for the prevention of CaOx urolith formation in cats, since there is an association between a lower renal Ca excretion and a generally higher urine pH. The utilisation of K is distinctly influenced by the K salt, which may be especially practically relevant when using diets with low K levels."

- Fortnightly review: Beneficial effects of potassium

--
Out of curiosity:
Potassium bicarbonate: 40% potassium
Sodium bicarbonate: 27% sodium

Potassium bicarbonate - Wikipedia
"There is no evidence of human carcinogenicity, no adverse effects of overexposure, and an undetermined LD50. Even so, potassium chloride has an oral LD50 of 2.5g/kg"

--
Sodium/Potassium Balance
He [Ray] has mentioned that body can handle a a big excess of alkaline mineral intake.
But, when someone asked him about potassium bicarbonate vs sodium bicarbonate he mentioned that sodium bicarbonate is safer as people are good at excreting sodium more than potassium. Sodium and calcium are mostly extra cellular electrolyte, that is probably why he mentioned if calcium and sodium intake is high then there no need to worry much about other two alkaline mineral.
Hypothyroid people have problem retaining both sodium and magnesium. He also mentioned about older people having problem retaining salt. Protein intake plays a big role here, which increases albumin and ability to hold both water and sodium.

Last edited:

fradon

i've read that sodium increases calcium excretion as sodium antagonizes calcium. but i also read that increasing potassium increases demand for calcium so maybe body is smart enough not to excrete calcium when taking potassium.

Nokoni

It seems so, but I didn't read any of these, it's just that they appeared interesting enough to share:

- Potassium bicarbonate, but not sodium bicarbonate, reduces urinary calcium excretion and improves calcium balance in healthy men
"Previous studies demonstrated that the administration of NaHCO3 or sodium citrate had either only a small effect to reduce urinary Ca excretion or no effect, but that potassium citrate significantly reduced urinary Ca
excretion. In order to further evaluate and compare the effects of NaHCO3 and of KHCO3, we performed ten metabolic balances in healthy men during 18 control days, 12 days of NaHCO3. 60 mmol/day and 12 days of KHCO3, 60 mmol/day. Six subjects were fed a low Ca diet (5.2 0.7 SD mmol/day) and three of these were also given calcitriol (0.5 sg 6-hourly). Four subjects ate a normal Ca diet (19.5 1.3 mmol/day). For all 10 subjects, KHCO3 administration reduced urinary Ca excretion from control by —0.9 0.7 mmol/day, P<0.001. Net intestinal Ca absorption did not change detectably so that Ca balances became less negative by a +0.90.9 mmol/day; P=0.01. KHCO3 administration was also accompanied by more positive PO4 and Mg balances. NaHCO3 administration had no significant effect on urinary Ca excretion or Ca balance. NaHCO3 and KHCO3 administration were accompanied by equivalently more positive Na or K balances, respectively and equivalently more negative acid balances (HCO3 retention). Neither NaHC0 or KHCO3 altered fasting serum HCO3 concentrations, blood pH, serum 1 ,25-(OH)rD or PTH concentrations. We conclude that KHCO3 promotes more positive Ca balances by either enhancing renal Ca retention or skeletal Ca retention or both."

- https://www.kidneyinternational-online.org/article/S0085-2538(15)47155-8/
"KHCO3 was superior to KCl as an adjunct to HCTZ [hydrochlorothiazide], inducing a twofold greater reduction in urine calcium excretion, and completely neutralizing endogenous acid production so as to correct the pre-existing mild metabolic acidosis that an acid-producing diet usually induces in older people. Accordingly, for reducing urine calcium excretion in stone disease and osteoporosis, the combination of HCTZ + KHCO3 may be preferable to that of HCTZ + KCl."

- Effects of Potassium Chloride and Potassium Bicarbonate on Endothelial Function, Cardiovascular Risk Factors, and Bone Turnover in Mild Hypertensives
"Compared with placebo, both potassium chloride and potassium bicarbonate significantly improved endothelial function as measured by brachial artery flow-mediated dilatation, increased arterial compliance as assessed by carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity, decreased left ventricular mass, and improved left ventricular diastolic function. There was no significant difference between the 2 potassium salts in these measurements. The study also showed that potassium chloride reduced 24-hour urinary albumin and albumin:creatinine ratio, and potassium bicarbonate decreased 24-hour urinary calcium, calcium:creatinine ratio, and plasma C-terminal cross-linking telopeptide of type 1 collagen significantly. These results demonstrated that an increase in potassium intake had beneficial effects on the cardiovascular system, and potassium bicarbonate may improve bone health. Importantly, these effects were found in individuals who already had a relatively low-salt and high-potassium intake."

- Potassium administration decreases and potassium deprivation increases urinary calcium excretion in healthy adult
"Both daily urinary Ca excretion and fasting UCaV/GFR [calcium pee/glomerular filtration of the rates] returned toward or to control at the end of recovery. These observations indicate that: 1) KHCO3 decreases fasting and 24-hour urinary Ca excretion; 2) KCl nor NaHCO3, unlike NaCl, do not increase fasting or 24-hour Ca excretion and 3) K deprivation increases both fasting and 24-hour urinary Ca excretion whether the accompanying anion is Cl- or HCO3-. The mechanisms for this effect of K may be mediated by: 1) alterations in ECF volume, since transient increases in urinary Na and Cl excretion and weight loss accompanied KCl or KHCO3 administration, while persistent reductions in urinary Na and Cl excretion and a trend for weight gain accompanied K deprivation; 2) K mediated alterations in renal tubular phosphate transport and renal synthesis of 1.25-(OH)2-vitamin D, since KCl or KHCO3 administration tended to be accompanied by a rise in fasting serum PO4 and TmPO4 and a fall in fasting UPO4 V/GFR, a fall in serum 1,25-(OH)2-D and a decrease in fasting UCa V/GFR, while dietary KCl or KHCO3 deprivation were accompanied by a reverse sequence."

- Potassium Causes Calcium Retention in Healthy Adults | The Journal of Nutrition | Oxford Academic
"The administration of 60 mmol/d of KHCO3 to healthy adults reduced urinary calcium excretion by 0.9 mmol/d and caused calcium balance to become equivalently more positive. Other studies showed that 90 mmol/d of KHCO3 reduced both daily and fasting urinary calcium excretion rates, whereas deprivation of either KCl or KHCO3, using synthetic diets, was accompanied by increased daily and fasting urinary calcium excretion rates. A significant inverse relationship between the changes in urinary calcium and the changes in urinary potassium was observed: Δ urinary Ca (mmol/d) = 0.29 - 0.015 Δ urinary K (mmol/d); r = -0.65. Correlative evaluation of additional data suggested that the fall in urinary calcium during potassium administration may be related to the natriuretic effects of potassium, resulting in ECF-volume contraction or to potassium-induced phosphate retention and suppression of calcitriol synthesis, or to both mechanisms."

- Long-Term Persistence of the Urine Calcium-Lowering Effect of Potassium Bicarbonate in Postmenopausal Women | The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism | Oxford Academic
"KBC [K bicarb] treatment induced a dose-dependent decrease in UCaV/Cr[eatine] that persisted up to 36 months, with the greatest decreases occurring in those women with the greatest baseline UCaV, nearly a third of whom had high baseline calciuria. Thus, one can preselect postmenopausal women most likely to have the urine calcium-lowering effect of KBC and predict their potential bone calcium increase."

- Effects of potassium chloride and potassium bicarbonate in the diet on urinary pH and mineral excretion of adult cats | British Journal of Nutrition | Cambridge Core :emoji_smiley_cat:
"In conclusion, the dietary inclusion of KHCO₃ instead of KCl as K source could be beneficial for the prevention of CaOx urolith formation in cats, since there is an association between a lower renal Ca excretion and a generally higher urine pH. The utilisation of K is distinctly influenced by the K salt, which may be especially practically relevant when using diets with low K levels."

- Fortnightly review: Beneficial effects of potassium

--
Out of curiosity:
Potassium bicarbonate: 40% potassium
Sodium bicarbonate: 27% sodium

Potassium bicarbonate - Wikipedia
"There is no evidence of human carcinogenicity, no adverse effects of overexposure, and an undetermined LD50. Even so, potassium chloride has an oral LD50 of 2.5g/kg"

--
Sodium/Potassium Balance
Very interesting. Thank you.

Terma

I overdosed hard on phenibut last night due to being really careless (didn't combine with alcohol at least). I was vomiting this entire day. I put 1/4 tsp of potassium bicarbonate in a bottle of cold water and drank it, and I stopped puking ever since. I'm so happy right now.

Terma

What I really meant was, I saw many of those studies and came to the same conclusion that KHCO3 must be the best. There's not much I can add because I would quote the same ones. It also makes cold water taste nicer. (I also potassium ascorbate but that is much less backed up)

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

For some context, the first study used 2 g of potassium bicarbonate at a time, which is about 800 mg (40%) of potassium. This is the amount that you can obtain with 1/3 of a teaspoon. They diluted in 30 ml of wasser.

One effervescent tablet provides almost 1 g of potassium. Here are their contraindications.

Milliequivalents, Millimoles, and Milliosmoles

Terma

Yeah that's about right, I calculated 1/2tsp = 1.2g potassium for my supplement with a milligram scale.

30ml H2O is alarming though, are you sure? Unless there's something I don't know about deutsch water. I put 1/4tsp in 500ml.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Yeah that's about right, I calculated 1/2tsp = 1.2g potassium for my supplement with a milligram scale.

30ml H2O is alarming though, are you sure? Unless there's something I don't know about deutsch water. I put 1/4tsp in 500ml.
I think that was just to dilute it to become easier to ingest. It vvas given with meals and there was no restriction to the volume of wasser, pimps drank as much as they wanted to.

Terma

If it was given with meals that makes sense.

However I'm not sure the ad libitum water makes any difference, unless you can show somewhere that they drank more as a result of greater KHCO3 instake. Personally KHCO3 does not trigger any thirst for me, unlike KCl which is absolutely disgusting to ingest (much worse than concentrated NaCl).

[edit: I wrote KNO3; my sleep deprivation is showing]

Last edited:

yerrag

I overdosed hard on phenibut last night due to being really careless (didn't combine with alcohol at least). I was vomiting this entire day. I put 1/4 tsp of potassium bicarbonate in a bottle of cold water and drank it, and I stopped puking ever since. I'm so happy right now.
I thought that salt intake would be better as with vomit, it's HCl that's being lost so NaCl intake would allow the chloride ions to be replenished. On the other hand, when it is diarrhea, plenty of electrolytes, especially potassium, is lost.

For all 10 subjects, KHCO3 administration reduced urinary Ca excretion from control by —0.9 0.7 mmol/day, P<0.001. Net intestinal Ca absorption did not change detectably so that Ca balances became less negative by a +0.90.9 mmol/day; P=0.01. KHCO3 administration was also accompanied by more positive PO4 and Mg balances. NaHCO3 administration had no significant effect on urinary Ca excretion or Ca balance. NaHCO3 and KHCO3 administration were accompanied by equivalently more positive Na or K balances, respectively and equivalently more negative acid balances (HCO3 retention). Neither NaHC0 or KHCO3 altered fasting serum HCO3 concentrations, blood pH, serum 1 ,25-(OH)rD or PTH concentrations. We conclude that KHCO3 promotes more positive Ca balances by either enhancing renal Ca retention or skeletal Ca retention or both."

I'm thinking of trying the intake of 60mmol/day of potassium bicarbonate for a week. This comes out to 6g/day of KHCO3. But I'm afraid that my bicarbonate intake might already be high with my current intake of 7.2g of magnesium bicarbonate. Instead, I'm thinking instead of taking potassium chloride. At 60mmol/day, it would be 2.85g/day.

I've been taking the magbicarb to lower my blood pressure (along with vitamin C) to chelate lead from my kidneys. Progress has stalled. I'm willing to test the use of potassium supplementation to see if it will help the process along. I've been taking plenty of fruits for potassium, but I would like to see if potassium supplementation would make any difference.

Terma

I thought that salt intake would be better as with vomit, it's HCl that's being lost so NaCl intake would allow the chloride ions to be replenished. On the other hand, when it is diarrhea, plenty of electrolytes, especially potassium, is lost.

I went completely by feeling. I normally have problems with excessive Diarrhea/acid/Cl such that being low on HCl doesn't even cross my mind. I don't think I can get too low in Cl personally. But that's just me.

Terma

I'm thinking of trying the intake of 60mmol/day of potassium bicarbonate for a week. This comes out to 6g/day of KHCO3. But I'm afraid that my bicarbonate intake might already be high with my current intake of 7.2g of magnesium bicarbonate. Instead, I'm thinking instead of taking potassium chloride. At 60mmol/day, it would be 2.85g/day.

KCl is ******* disgusting to ingest though.

yerrag

I converted 60 mmol/day of KHCO3 and this came to 2.34g/day of elemental potassium, or about half of the daily RDA of 4700mg. I think I can work with this, either with KHCO3 or with KCl. But I'll do it with KCl though (at 4.5g/day), although it really tastes bad, as @Terma says.

I'm not so much concerned about calcium excretion leading to kidney/bladder stone formation, but more about lowering my high blood pressure. I've supplemented plenty of magnesium for the past 8 months, but my blood pressure has barely nudged. But since I think I've addressed my magnesium deficiency, I think it's about time to try seeing if high potassium supplementation can lower my blood pressure. The body will not absorb potassium if magnesium deficient, and since I've addressed my magnesium deficiency, I should be able to absorb potassium much better.

yerrag

I converted 60 mmol/day of KHCO3 and this came to 2.34g/day of elemental potassium, or about half of the daily RDA of 4700mg. I think I can work with this, either with KHCO3 or with KCl. But I'll do it with KCl though (at 4.5g/day), although it really tastes bad, as @Terma says.
KCl should translate to 3.5g/day instead of 4.5g/day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals