Water Retention, My Experience And Yours?

Rand56

I have noticed urination frequency has gone up since rat started 11-keto-DHT recently, although still determining what optimal drop amount per day will be.

BibleBeliever

@JackHanma i asked Ray about the milk and estrogen and he said it was false, and like i said if i drink 7 quarts of skimmed milk i dont get water retention or it gets less because of the protein so fluid amount does not matter.

5g salt in coffee, how can that taste any good? Ray always say salt food to taste and use salt to taste, does not seem fun to smack down salt if it tastes ***t thats just putting more stress on.
For some reason that amount of salt goes to my taste. My body for whatever reason appears to use and desire extremely high amounts of salt. With all the gelatin and salt it tastes like drinking a tasty bone broth.

judge

Ever try the water diet trick? its actually Himalayan salt. I was retaining water and doing almost as many different things as you. What i finally found that works is first thing in the morning put 1/4 teaspoon of Himalayan salt in your mouth and leave it there until is all completely dissolved, takes 5 to 10 minutes. Once it is dissolved swish it around for about 30 seconds then swallow it with a couple glasses of pure water. Wait on hour before you eat anything, but feel free to drink fluids. I drank gallon of water everyday plus juice and coffee :) You pee alot!

Took couple days before it started to kick in, works really good. Water retention is usually a salt deficiency. Real salt! Not table salt!

FYI Skim milk is poison, if your going to drink milk get local milk form a farm or buy A2 whole milk! Best commercial milk on the market, soon all dairies will have A2 type cows, much more natural for your body to digest !

If you are an athlete, do you know how your lymph system works in your legs? You know about the calf muscle responsible for drawing fluid out of the legs? You aware fluid travels up the shins?

OP
S

superhuman

@judge i have not tried exactly that. Why do you think that worked? have you tried just the regular adding 1-4 tsp of real salt to meals or stuff as well ?

By just doing the 1/4 salt you where able to drink that much fluid and everything and still not have any water retention etc? that sounds crazy. I know it says in the "watercure" that its 1/4 tsp for every quart of water, so i guess you did that?

I have been adding 1-2 tsp of salt now swish it around with milk with each meal to see if it helps. It has reduced water retention in my face a little but it builds up in my legs tho.

I have heard a little bit about the lymph system and stuff but not really that educated so would be great if you could tell me exactly. I dont know about the calf muscle not about fluid travels up the shins either.

judge

@judge i have not tried exactly that. Why do you think that worked? have you tried just the regular adding 1-4 tsp of real salt to meals or stuff as well ?

By just doing the 1/4 salt you where able to drink that much fluid and everything and still not have any water retention etc? that sounds crazy. I know it says in the "watercure" that its 1/4 tsp for every quart of water, so i guess you did that?

I have been adding 1-2 tsp of salt now swish it around with milk with each meal to see if it helps. It has reduced water retention in my face a little but it builds up in my legs tho.

I have heard a little bit about the lymph system and stuff but not really that educated so would be great if you could tell me exactly. I dont know about the calf muscle not about fluid travels up the shins either.

rather a big order there. people go to school for years learning the lymph system! But basically that is where you retain water, its all over your body!

I just did the 1/4 teaspoon in the mouth without water, sucked on it until it was completely liquid, takes about 10 minutes or so, swallowed it with about a quart of water and did it one more time at night. This does something to your adrenals too. I think it tells your body you have enough salt and now it is ok to get rid of the extra water. If you are using regular table salt, you need to change to a good sea salt or even better Himalayan salt

again stop drinking store bought skim milk it will kill you!

here is a fairly good video on the water cure, they all differ a bit:

we are all dehydrated in some degree, not too mention we are all suffering from scurvy to some degree also!

this is the guy! :

OP
S

superhuman

@judge I have tried the watercure many years ago and it did not do much but. Also 1/4 tsp of salt for every quart is not that much salt either. Why is it 1/4 of salt, how did he come to that conclusion?

natedawggh

Hello

I have been researching and doing this for some years now but i still struggle with the water retention/puffyness in my legs and face but also a little in general in my whole body.

I have asked Ray alot about it and have tried everything that should help but i have not managed to really fix the problem.

Im male and active athlete and i also lift weights.

The only thing that really makes a big difference, like overnight results are if i increase my protein intake by alot. Like 200-300g a day from animal protein. But in terms of calories, cost(money) and just overall this is not something i can do daily and in terms of Ray Peat its to much protein, since he recommends even for high level athletes that 100-150g a day is enough.

It clearly is something hormonal and i feel it has to be tied to maybe liver health or something else. Big doses of sodium bicarb also can reduce the water retention so increasing protein and co2 seems to do something.

I have tried everything else in the RP world and nothing has worked in terms of getting ridd of the water retention.

ive tried high dose b1, aspirin,k2,niacinamide,antibiotics(tetracycline),gelatin,taurine,vitamin A,D,no fat, perfect ratio in terms of sugar to protein from 2:1 to 4:1+, T3(cynomel),cynoplus, minerals like magnesium and all that in terms of minerals.

Nothing of those things has done anything, i havent noticed a thing from any of those things. The only difference i notice is from very high protein and alot of sodium bicarb. That is the only two things that produces results.

So would be cool to hear peoples input and maybe other has experience with that topic, because its frustrating to say the least.

Lately i think its tied to liver,stomach acid, albumin but im doing everything that i should to correct those but nothing is helping except those two things i mentioned.

You are spot on with the baking soda. Most metabolic problems are in one way or any other tied into sodium deficiencies. You need to consistently raise your sodium intake (while sodium bicarbonate will raise co2, the benefits really come from the high sodium). Baking soda isn't the easiest way, so keep a lot of high sodium foods around. Keeping sodium high can reverse the damage caused by low sodium and also aid hormones to return to balance.
You Are Not Getting Enough Salt

OP
S

superhuman

@natedawggh sure but how much salt is enough salt. The last days ive had 6 tsp salt a day which is alot, the water retention in my face lessened but the retention in my legs increased a little. Also pounding down the salt does not taste good either

judge

you could try the very popular detox method. I take 1 teaspoon of cayenne peppper mixed in a glass of water with 1/2 lemon squeezed into it.

Had to build up to that level started out with 1/4 teaspoon first week then 1/2 next week, etc I do one heaping teaspoon cayenne everyday first thing in the morning, it gets your digestive system moving! and you poop and pee real good :)

OP
S

superhuman

@judge come on. This is a forum based on Ray Peats ideas not some woo woo crap that some "guru" blogger invented with help from the chakras that are aligned with the moon

judge

@judge come on. This is a forum based on Ray Peats ideas not some woo woo crap that some "guru" blogger invented with help from the chakras that are aligned with the moon

i am done with this thread......... good luck

Research Conducted on Cayenne Pepper and/or Capsaicin

Aasvang EK, Hansen JB, Malmstrøm J, Asmussen T, Gennevois D, Struys MM, Kehlet H. The effect of wound instillation of a novel purified capsaicin formulation on postherniotomy pain: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Anesth Analg. 2008 Jul;107(1):282-91. PMID: 18635499.

Abdel Salam OM, Moszik G, Szolcsanyi J. Studies on the effect of intragastric capsaicin on gastric ulcer and on the prostacyclin-induced cytoprotection in rats. Pharmacol Res. 1995;32:209-215.

Agrawal RC, Wiessler M, Hecker E, et al. Tumour-promoting effect of chilli extract in BALB/c mice. Int J Cancer 1986;38(5):689-695.

Ahuja KD, Robertson IK, Geraghty DP, Ball MJ. Effects of chilli consumption on postprandial glucose, insulin, and energy metabolism. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006;84(1):63-9.
Ahuja KD, Ball MJ. Effects of daily ingestion of chilli on serum lipoprotein oxidation in adult men and women. Br J Nutr. 2006;96(2):239-42.

Ahuja KD, Robertson IK, Geraghty DP, Ball MJ. The effect of 4-week chilli supplementation on metabolic and arterial function in humans. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2007;61(3):326-33.

Allison DB, Fontaine KR, Heshka S, Mentore JL, Heymsfield SB. Alternative treatments for weight loss: a critical review. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2001;41(1):1-28; discussion 39-40.

Alper BS, Lewis PR. Treatment of postherpetic neuralgia: a systematic review of the literature. J Fam Pract. 2002;51:121-128.

Athanasiou A., et al. Vanilloid receptor agonists and antagonists are mitochondrial inhibitors: how vanilloids cause non-vanilloid receptor mediated cell death. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2007 Mar 2; 354(1): 50-55.

Attal N. Chronic neuropathic pain: mechanisms and treatment [Review]. Clin J Pain 2000;16(3 Suppl):S118-30.

Baumann TK, Burchiel KJ, Ingram SL, et al. Responses of adult human dorsal root ganglion neurons in culture to capsaicin and low pH. Pain 1996;65(1):31-38.

Bernstein JE, Bickers DR, Dahl MV, Roshal JY. Treatment of chronic postherpetic neuralgia with topical capsaicin. A preliminary study. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1987 Jul;17(1):93-6. PMID: 3611458.

Bernstein JE, Parish LC, Rapaport M, et al. Effects of topically applied capsaicin on moderate and severe psoriasis vulgaris. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1986;15:504-507.

Biesbroeck R, Bril V, Hollander P, Kabadi U, Schwartz S, Singh SP, Ward WK, Bernstein JE. A double-blind comparison of topical capsaicin and oral amitriptyline in painful diabetic neuropathy. Adv Ther. 1995 Mar-Apr;12(2):111-20. PMID: 10150323.

Biro T, Brodie C, Modarres S, et al. Specific vanilloid responses in C6 rat glioma cells. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 1998;56(1-2):89-98.

Bortolotti M, Coccia G, Grossi G, Miglioli M. The treatment of functional dyspepsia with red pepper. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2002 Jun;16(6):1075-82. PMID: 12030948.

Bouraoui A, Toumi A, Mustapha HB, et al. Effects of capsicum fruit on theophylline absorption and bioavailability in rabbits. Drug-Nutrient Interact. 1988;5:345-350.

Blumenthal M, Goldberg A, Brinckmann J. Herbal Medicine: Expanded Commission E Monographs. Newton, MA: Integrative Medicine Co

OP
S

superhuman

@judge i dont want to come off as an idiot but its just ive tried some many of the alternative approaches to my water retention these last 5-6 years and everything was just crap so im very sensitive to stuff like that

BibleBeliever

You are spot on with the baking soda. Most metabolic problems are in one way or any other tied into sodium deficiencies. You need to consistently raise your sodium intake (while sodium bicarbonate will raise co2, the benefits really come from the high sodium). Baking soda isn't the easiest way, so keep a lot of high sodium foods around. Keeping sodium high can reverse the damage caused by low sodium and also aid hormones to return to balance.
You Are Not Getting Enough Salt
Keep in mind the more salt you have the more calcium you need, which means you need more magnesium, vitamin k2 and vitamin d to help regulate it. Salt although good increases calcium excreted in urine.

Baking soda is an interesting thing. From what I read RayPeat only recommends some consumed with water in exceptional circumstances. I know too much can cause alkalosis, cause severe stomach problems and all sorts of interesting effects. I try low dosages of 2 grams, spread far from any food. Otherwise I notice it gives me extreme burping, which I have never had at all before consumption of baking soda. It is very useful if you have acidic urine and uric acid stones.

T

tca300

Sorry if any of this was already meantioned. Many males don't do well with supplemental progesterone, others, like myself, get an increase in testosterone ( progesterone blocks cortisol and apparently cortisol is a major factor behind testosterones conversion to estrogen ) one thing I noticed when I take progesterone is that my water retention went down, especially if I take it after I drink coffee. Consentrated Epsom salt baths with 3 cups of Epsom salts and just enough water to cover part of my legs, but not high enough to touch my junk, helps me too. Initially when I increased my salt, my water retention went up, but after a few days it really seemed to help. I dont salt my food to taste, because no food I eat tastes good with salt, I use it as a supplement. I drink upwards of two gallons of liquid per day and also have found it has no effect on my water retention. Some have found that red light helps with water retention as well, sunlight seems to lessen my water retention. Haidut has mentioned magnesium bicarbonate, but I dont know if that has ever lessened my water retention, but it has helped some.

OP
S

superhuman

@tca300 Thanx man. I have some progesterone but i dont dear using it because RP told me about shrinking penis :P

2 gallons of what ? 1 gallon milk and 1 gallon oj or more milk?

T

tca300

@tca300 Thanx man. I have some progesterone but i dont dear using it because RP told me about shrinking penis :p

2 gallons of what ? 1 gallon milk and 1 gallon oj or more milk?
Lol ya, progesterone increases my libido, and makes me rock hard unless I get over about 60mg per day, but when I have acess to coffee and thyroid I dont seem to benefit from it. If it did shrink mine from going overboard I wouldn't worry too much because its only temporary. Ray says he finds that for him personally a little bit of progesterone seems to raise his testosterone. 1 gallon of skim mixed with 1% milk, 8-12 cups of orange juice, and 6-8 cups of coffee. And usually 1-2 cups of Pineapple juice.

rainbow5000

Lol ya, progesterone increases my libido, and makes me rock hard unless I get over about 60mg per day, but when I have acess to coffee and thyroid I dont seem to benefit from it. If it did shrink mine from going overboard I wouldn't worry too much because its only temporary. Ray says he finds that for him personally a little bit of progesterone seems to raise his testosterone. 1 gallon of skim mixed with 1% milk, 8-12 cups of orange juice, and 6-8 cups of coffee. And usually 1-2 cups of Pineapple juice.

tca300 wondering about what changed in your diet since this post - why dairy now, no potatoes, no broccoli?:

I don't consume dairy or meat.
Dairy, if its full fat will raise estrogen levels in your body( bescause dietary fat raises estrogen, saturated or not ) and low fat milk is higher in estrogen the whole milk, plus there's no way to be sure the high tryptophan in milk or cheese is actually converting to B3 instead of Serotonin etc..
Meat sucks because of being high in anti thyroid aminos, crappy calcium/phosphorus ratio, polyamines, "PHiP"( chemical created during high temp cooking of meat that activates estrogen receptors in the body = raises estrogen levels), as well as endotoxins inside the meat that just add to the endotoxins we already create ourselves etc...

I Eat the following:
Plenty of different fruits/juices, well cooked potatoes, lots of salt, broccoli, small brazil nut ( selenium), some eggshell powder,
clip_image001.gif
raw carrots, pepsi or coke, maybe some B6, B12, Zinc, Vitamin E, magnesium oil whenever I feel I need them.

I feel its to risky to eat most animal products anymore with all the toxic crap thats in them, the earth is polluted to hell, farmers feed the animals all kinds of nasty crap, and unfortunately the animals are full of it because of that. I prefer not to burden my body with extra estrogen, endotoxin, dioxins, etc.

Ray has said that keto acids ( from potato, and probably lots of other fuits ) can supply the protein needed, and if B12 status is good the body can convert Beta carotene to true vitamin A.

Please don't argue with me about the way I eat, I'm not here to argue, Just stating what I eat and why, eat the way you want and I will eat the way I want. I have fought obesity all my life and estrogen dominance, eating this way has lowered my estrogen IMMENSELY and Raised my testosterone, and I'm very lean, for the first time in my life, eating as much as I want.

T

tca300

I ran into many issues after eating that diet, I started to get really hypothyroid again, haveing heart troubles, etc... Ive learned ALOT since then, and have experamented with many ways of eating. My current diet that is meantioned above ( milk, fruit, etc.. ) has corrected my problems and have never felt better.

OP
S

superhuman

@tca300 how is your water retention going btw? do yo think there is a link with fluid intake and water retention? i know Matt Stone and those ppl talk about that but RP says its not an issue unnless you are drinking water when not thirsty. Im also in the same boat as RP, that fluid intake has nothing to do with water retention. Its more thyroid,minerals etc that is important and controls it.
How is your salt intake? Have you experienced with it?

Last edited:
T

tca300

@superhuman I think its primarily thyroid status that controls water retention, because I think its driven by estrogen, and things that lower estrogen seem to lower water retention. I think restricting all fluid while adding salt is just a technique that hypothyroid people employ to help avoid water retention, basically by dehydration almost, which is a bad idea. I basically supplement enough salt to the point that I dont crave salty foods. I think it ends up at about 4 teaspoons give or take of salt per day. It does seem to keep fluid in check, but on a high liquid diet, it would make sense that more is needed, than on a low liquid diet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals