Vitamin K2 (MK-7)

answersfound

I recently started taking Vitamin K2 (mk-7). I used to just blindly pop vitamins thinking they could do no harm, but now I am extremely aware of how particular supplements affect me. I think it's highly important to the healing process.

I took it with a meal and immediately noticed this wave of depression hit me. Prior to the meal I felt great, and after this, I felt like the life was sucked out of me and I slipped into this fearful, anxious state. I will be switching to the Mk-4 form, but I am curious if anyone has experienced this or may have a reason why this happened.

barbwirehouse

How'd you get your hands on mk-7? The most recommended vit k supplement is thornes vit k2, which is MK-4.

OP
A

answersfound

barbwirehouse said:
How'd you get your hands on mk-7? The most recommended vit k supplement is thornes vit k2, which is MK-4.

I had read good things about it and it was cheap. I guess you get what you pay for.

haidut

Forum Supporter
lookingforanswers said:
I recently started taking Vitamin K2 (mk-7). I used to just blindly pop vitamins thinking they could do no harm, but now I am extremely aware of how particular supplements affect me. I think it's highly important to the healing process.

I took it with a meal and immediately noticed this wave of depression hit me. Prior to the meal I felt great, and after this, I felt like the life was sucked out of me and I slipped into this fearful, anxious state. I will be switching to the Mk-4 form, but I am curious if anyone has experienced this or may have a reason why this happened.

This effect has been reported with vitamin K, including MK-4. It's probably related to sudden drop in blood calcium levels, but this is just a suggestion and I don't know of any studies that confirm it. Try to take it with some milk and see if that changes anything.

OP
A

answersfound

Okay. I haven't noticed this response in the Mk-4. Who knows, maybe it was something I ate, but I don't think so.

OP
A

answersfound

haidut said:
lookingforanswers said:

This effect has been reported with vitamin K, including MK-4. It's probably related to sudden drop in blood calcium levels, but this is just a suggestion and I don't know of any studies that confirm it. Try to take it with some milk and see if that changes anything.

Yep same thing with the mk4....maybe it's too much at once (15 mg) or maybe just too frequently (one a day). I always consume with milk.

barbwirehouse

lookingforanswers said:
haidut said:
lookingforanswers said:

Yep same thing with the mk4....maybe it's too much at once (15 mg) or maybe just too frequently (one a day). I always consume with milk.

15mg is the "recommended dose" but it's really ******* high... try using less.

OP
A

answersfound

barbwirehouse said:
lookingforanswers said:
haidut said:
lookingforanswers said:

15mg is the "recommended dose" but it's really f***ing high... try using less.

Thank you sir.

CoolTweetPete

I believe MK-4 is the variant that has shown the most promise.

CoolTweetPete

No problem. Here's a relevant quote on this topic from Haidut in the thread about Kuinone (the IdeaLabs MK-4 supplement).

"As I have said many times on the forum, I prefer vitamin K2 (MK-4). Most of the research on MK-7 is suspect and sponsored by companies producing it. There is a reason only MK-4 is approved as osteoporosis drug in Japan, Korea, Vietnam, etc."

Subjectively I noticed when I used MK-7 my nails would break quite often. My nails grow quickly and are very sturdy since switching to MK-4.

Dobster

Thanks again Pete, interesting stuff. Osteoporosis drug ? OH wow..didn't know that one.

Appreciated/Dobster

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks again Pete, interesting stuff. Osteoporosis drug ? OH wow..didn't know that one.

Appreciated/Dobster

Yes, in those countries MK-4 is actually a drug and is regulated as one. Google for "glakay".

ReneeAnn

Happy to have found this thread because I was wondering about MK4 vs MK7. I don't tolerate MK7, I think because of some soy carryover when it is cultured. I heard an Ancestral RDs podcast that said that if you take MK7, you can take a day's serving once per day. But, if you take MK4 you have to take it throughout the day.

I am concerned because of my husband's high risk of heart disease in his family. So, I give him MK7. @haidut , would you give me your take on this? And anyone? And, being new to Peat, what do you all recommend for dosages? My husband eats dairy, but I cannot. THANKS! :happy:

I'm new here, so it didn't tag @haidut . If someone would take him for me, I would appreciate it.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Happy to have found this thread because I was wondering about MK4 vs MK7. I don't tolerate MK7, I think because of some soy carryover when it is cultured. I heard an Ancestral RDs podcast that said that if you take MK7, you can take a day's serving once per day. But, if you take MK4 you have to take it throughout the day.

I am concerned because of my husband's high risk of heart disease in his family. So, I give him MK7. @haidut , would you give me your take on this? And anyone? And, being new to Peat, what do you all recommend for dosages? My husband eats dairy, but I cannot. THANKS! :happy:

I'm new here, so it didn't tag @haidut . If someone would take him for me, I would appreciate it.

I don't understand the whole marketing effort behind MK-7. The claim is for a longer half-life but that does not mean the vitamin is more effective. MK-4 is the preffered isomer in the tissues and that is the one that selectively accumulates especially in the brain and liver. Sometimes, a substance having a longer half-life suggests that it is not good for us - i.e. the tissues do not like it and do not absorb it. Also, the liver may have trouble excreting it. The fact that MK-4 has no upper known toxic dose and MK-7 does should tell you enough about which form the organism prefers.

ReneeAnn

Thank you so much, @haidut ! I'm so glad to hear this since I only tolerate MK4.

I'm a newbie and listening to Roddy's podcasts from episode 1 to the present and learning so much from you! You're the man!! :sunglasses:

Tourist

I don't understand the whole marketing effort behind MK-7. The claim is for a longer half-life but that does not mean the vitamin is more effective. MK-4 is the preffered isomer in the tissues and that is the one that selectively accumulates especially in the brain and liver. Sometimes, a substance having a longer half-life suggests that it is not good for us - i.e. the tissues do not like it and do not absorb it. Also, the liver may have trouble excreting it. The fact that MK-4 has no upper known toxic dose and MK-7 does should tell you enough about which form the organism prefers.

Follow up re: mk4 and mk7-- If Mk4 has a very short biological half life compared to Mk7 doesn't it come down to a dosing question when comparying the two? Mk7 helps against inflammation and is more lipophilic than K1 and Mk-4 it's absorbablity seems to make it a winner. Do you have a source for your statement that the body prefers Mk4?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Follow up re: mk4 and mk7-- If Mk4 has a very short biological half life compared to Mk7 doesn't it come down to a dosing question when comparying the two? Mk7 helps against inflammation and is more lipophilic than K1 and Mk-4 it's absorbablity seems to make it a winner. Do you have a source for your statement that the body prefers Mk4?

Search the forum. This topic has been discussed so many times I am not repeating it for 1,000th time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals