Very High Salt Intake (50g A Day) Increases Metabolism, Makes People Energetic And Happy

It's quite high by today's standards, but nowhere near "insane." Estimates range from 40-100g of salt per day in Europe (1500-1800s), prior to refrigeration, as it was an effective food preservative.

Any literature about it?

Jennifer

Thanks for the suggestion, @zarrin77! :) I tried a low FODMAP diet, but it didn't help. I think my sensitivity to fiber stems from a gut infection that went untreated for years due to a misdiagnosis, but I also don't think the extreme amount of fiber I was getting from all the calories I needed helped matters, especially given my size -- I was consuming over 100g daily. Way too much!

Peater Piper

It's quite high by today's standards, but nowhere near "insane." Estimates range from 40-100g of salt per day in Europe (1500-1800s), prior to refrigeration, as it was an effective food preservative.
I could see how the sodium from cured meats would add up, and they're not really a staple in my diet, but man that's a lot of salt. I feel like just 5 grams a day ramps up my metabolism too much, but it probably takes the body some time to adapt. For whatever reason I rarely have a taste for salt unless I've been sweating, in which case salted juice hits the spot.

pepsi

The study was based on seasons.
Excess salt intake can bring favorable results on one
occasion and unpleasant symptoms on the other.
"When the increased salt formula is continued beyond this favourable
stage, the displeasing symptoms known to all which are due to deposit of the
excess salt manifest themselves before long."

I hope nobody is going to try to consume 50g of daily salt.
Like Dr Peat says , salt to taste.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

The study was based on seasons.
Excess salt intake can bring favorable results on one
occasion and unpleasant symptoms on the other.
"When the increased salt formula is continued beyond this favourable
stage, the displeasing symptoms known to all which are due to deposit of the
excess salt manifest themselves before long."

I hope nobody is going to try to consume 50g of daily salt.
Like Dr Peat says , salt to taste.

Yeah I agree. The symptoms of “salt overload” were water retention / bloat, and weakness.

I don’t think the salt intake should be as high as this study, and it should be somewhat balanced by potassium and magnesium.

Jing

Also, don’t know if this has been posted here yet, but...

Effect of Dietary Salt Restriction on Urinary Serotonin and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic Acid Excretion in Man - PubMed

Abstract
Objective: To determine the effect of dietary salt restriction on urinary excretion of serotonin and its principal metabolite 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) in man.

Design: We studied 16 healthy male volunteers (age range 20-28 years) who ate a standard diet containing 20 mmol/day NaCl, to which either 220 mmol/day NaCl or placebo was added as a supplement for 1 week each, according to a randomized, single-blind crossover design.

Methods: Urinary excretion of serotonin, 5-HIAA, noradrenaline and vanillylmandelic acid (VMA) were measured during the low- and high-salt periods using reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography.

Results: During the low-salt diet, 24-h urinary excretion of serotonin increased by 42%, accompanied by a 52% rise in the excretion of 5-HIAA. Salt restriction also increased noradrenaline excretion by 77% and VMA excretion by 40%. Regression analysis revealed a strong positive relationship between the excretion of serotonin and of noradrenaline (r = 0.84, P < 0.001) and between that of 5-HIAA and of VMA (r = 0.74, P < 0.001).

Conclusions: Salt restriction stimulates the serotonergic system in man. Stimulation of this system, in conjunction with the sympathetic nervous system, may contribute to renal sodium conservation during dietary salt restriction in man.
Doesn't this mean lower serotonin though? If your losing more through pee?

rei

How in the world can you consume that much salt without inducing diarrhea?

I put 1 teaspoon of salt in a large glass of water and it results in diarrhea.
Put it in a bowl of pasta and you will see only benefits.

rei

Doesn't this mean lower serotonin though? If your losing more through pee?

We don't know. It might increase because serotonin levels increase. Or it might increase because the body is excreting the excess. I would suspect it is due to increase in systemic serotonin leading to increased elimination.

S.Seneff

In such high doses, you will end up with stomach cancer.

Just few degrees variation in air could make a significant difference for the body. All the planet has not the same climate that Mexico !

Jing

We don't know. It might increase because serotonin levels increase. Or it might increase because the body is excreting the excess. I would suspect it is due to increase in systemic serotonin leading to increased elimination.
Guess We can't really know but it sounds like the body is just wasting serotonin instead of keeping it in the body it's just removing it.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

Is this safe for people with heart disease ☺️

Not at these high doses, I wouldn't risk it.

Moderate sea salt with potassium supplementation is fine though.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

It is very likely increasing serotonin synthesis, as the entire sympathetic nervous system becomes overactive on a low salt diet. (Which actually increases pulse, so this can make monitoring pulse confusing if you see a drop after increasing salt intake. This is good though, because you are lowering norepinephrine et. al.)

sun-maid

In such high doses, you will end up with stomach cancer.

Just few degrees variation in air could make a significant difference for the body. All the planet has not the same climate that Mexico !

From RP article (Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity):

"There have been several publications suggesting that increasing the amount of salt in the diet might cause stomach cancer, because countries such as Japan with a high salt intake have a high incidence of stomach cancer.

Studies in which animals were fed popular Japanese foods--“salted cuttlefish guts, broiled, salted, dried sardines, pickled radish, and soy sauce”--besides a chemical carcinogen, showed that the Japanese foods increased the number of tumors. But another study, adding only soy sauce (with a salt content of about 18%) to the diet did not increase the incidence of cancer, in another it was protective against stomach cancer (Benjamin, et al., 1991). Several studies show that dried fish and pickled vegetables are carcinogenic, probably because of the oxidized fats, and other chemical changes, and fungal contamination, which are likely to be worse without the salt. Animals fed dried fish were found to have mutagenic urine, apparently as a result of toxic materials occurring in various preserved foods (Fong, et al., 1979).

Although preserved foods develop many peculiar toxins, even fresh fish in the diet have been found to be associated with increased cancer risk (Phukan, et al., 2006).

When small animals were given a milliliter of a saturated salt solution with the carcinogen, the number of tumors was increased with the salt. However, when the salt was given with mucin, it had no cancer promoting effect. Since the large amount of a saturated salt solution breaks down the stomach’s protective mucus coating, the stomach cells were not protected from the carcinogen. Rather than showing that salt causes stomach cancer, the experiments showed that a cup or more of saturated salt solution, or several ounces of pure salt, shouldn’t be ingested at the same time as a strong carcinogen."

yerrag

How in the world can you consume that much salt without inducing diarrhea?

I put 1 teaspoon of salt in a large glass of water and it results in diarrhea.

Both your small and large intestines won't absorb that salt somehow. Your body must have a built-in mechanism that restricts you from taking in more salt. Maybe you are low in potassium stores. Even if you take loads of potassium, your potassium intake will only be excreted out if you don't have enough magnesium stores.

I think most people, even in this forum, is low in magnesium stores. The reason:

1. Most people don't have enough magnesium intake in their lifetime.
2. People here hope they have enough magnesium stores, but they never really test (the test is expensive; there's a cheap test I posted, but nobody, not one, was interested.) if they're low in magnesium. So they just hope but in reality they're low in magnesium.
3. People are afraid that without testing for magnesium and they started therapeutic magnesium supplementation, they may overload and kill themselves. So, they are cautious and end up supplementing too little to make a difference to make their magnesium stores enough. So they remain deficient in magnesium.

I supplemented 600 mg magnesium (elemental) for a year. And it wasn't enough. Recently I resumed supplementation. Then I began to have diarrhea. Even if each dose was low. It's the sign I needed. The body is telling me it can't take anymore magnesium. I now know I have enough magnesium stores in my body.

Fatal magnesium toxicity won't happen when you take in magnesium supplementation orally. You will have diarrhea before that happens.

Next project is to supplement therapeutically on potassium, now what my body will readily accept potassium and build up its potassium stores. Once this is done, I can start taking insance amounts of salt.

Vinny

Both your small and large intestines won't absorb that salt somehow. Your body must have a built-in mechanism that restricts you from taking in more salt. Maybe you are low in potassium stores. Even if you take loads of potassium, your potassium intake will only be excreted out if you don't have enough magnesium stores.

I think most people, even in this forum, is low in magnesium stores. The reason:

1. Most people don't have enough magnesium intake in their lifetime.
2. People here hope they have enough magnesium stores, but they never really test (the test is expensive; there's a cheap test I posted, but nobody, not one, was interested.) if they're low in magnesium. So they just hope but in reality they're low in magnesium.
3. People are afraid that without testing for magnesium and they started therapeutic magnesium supplementation, they may overload and kill themselves. So, they are cautious and end up supplementing too little to make a difference to make their magnesium stores enough. So they remain deficient in magnesium.

I supplemented 600 mg magnesium (elemental) for a year. And it wasn't enough. Recently I resumed supplementation. Then I began to have diarrhea. Even if each dose was low. It's the sign I needed. The body is telling me it can't take anymore magnesium. I now know I have enough magnesium stores in my body.

Fatal magnesium toxicity won't happen when you take in magnesium supplementation orally. You will have diarrhea before that happens.

Next project is to supplement therapeutically on potassium, now what my body will readily accept potassium and build up its potassium stores. Once this is done, I can start taking insance amounts of salt.
So, the good way is to load up first on magnesium and potassium, and then safely on sodium?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals