Very High Salt Intake (50g A Day) Increases Metabolism, Makes People Energetic And Happy

zarrin77

Very cool study done in the 50’s.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jjphysiol1950/2/0/2_0_303/_pdf

F213F036-CA59-4542-94D5-4FDF9ED3D3A3.jpeg

Peater Piper

That is an insane amount of salt. Even 5 grams has me chugging water, but it's definitely warming.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

8D587FFC-A188-41B8-A6C7-8C2D4208EE2B.jpeg

Perhaps this is why we shouldn’t “drink our calories”?

getting fructose, glucose, and salt from liquid instead of food will lower the osmolarity of that meal, thus creating a weaker thermogenic signal.

Edit: This would also mean its better to drink water / liquid away from meals.

theLaw

So I think that's nearly 3 Tbsp per day (Tbsp sodium chloride = 18G = 7G sodium).:darts:

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

Also, don’t know if this has been posted here yet, but...

Effect of Dietary Salt Restriction on Urinary Serotonin and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic Acid Excretion in Man - PubMed

Abstract
Objective: To determine the effect of dietary salt restriction on urinary excretion of serotonin and its principal metabolite 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) in man.

Design: We studied 16 healthy male volunteers (age range 20-28 years) who ate a standard diet containing 20 mmol/day NaCl, to which either 220 mmol/day NaCl or placebo was added as a supplement for 1 week each, according to a randomized, single-blind crossover design.

Methods: Urinary excretion of serotonin, 5-HIAA, noradrenaline and vanillylmandelic acid (VMA) were measured during the low- and high-salt periods using reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography.

Results: During the low-salt diet, 24-h urinary excretion of serotonin increased by 42%, accompanied by a 52% rise in the excretion of 5-HIAA. Salt restriction also increased noradrenaline excretion by 77% and VMA excretion by 40%. Regression analysis revealed a strong positive relationship between the excretion of serotonin and of noradrenaline (r = 0.84, P < 0.001) and between that of 5-HIAA and of VMA (r = 0.74, P < 0.001).

Conclusions: Salt restriction stimulates the serotonergic system in man. Stimulation of this system, in conjunction with the sympathetic nervous system, may contribute to renal sodium conservation during dietary salt restriction in man.

scoobydoo

This is cool
But how do you do this without making your heart/Blood pressure blow up? Haha

Dobbler

I admire anyone who can eat that amount. First of all, the thirst must be unbelievable, and second, even 10-15g mixed with liquid will burn your gut like hell. But i agree, there is no downside of eating alot of salt if you can manage the thirst .

theLaw

I admire anyone who can eat that amount. First of all, the thirst must be unbelievable, and second, even 10-15g mixed with liquid will burn your gut like hell. But i agree, there is no downside of eating alot of salt if you can manage the thirst .

Well, 10-15G would be nearly a tbsp, which would probably make you vomit or sh*t yourself.

I've done 2 tsp with a large meal (mashed potatoes) or about 1/2 tsp per hour, but that's as much as I can take.

I heard a doc recommend 2 Tbsp per gallon of water for older people at risk of dehydration.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

This is cool
But how do you do this without making your heart/Blood pressure blow up? Haha

AFAIK, high salt intake increases blood pressure via oxidative stress which occurs through increasing NADPH oxidase in the vasculature.

Potassium has been shown to lower NADPH oxidase and negate the increase in blood pressure.
High Potassium Intake Blunts the Effect of Elevated Sodium Intake on Blood Pressure Levels - PubMed

I would never advise someone to increase their salt intake to high levels if they have a low potassium diet. (Similarly, I would also want to see high magnesium)

Personally, I make K-water (posted in another thread) which is potassium bicarb and taurine in water. The taurine creates special bonds with K bicarb that makes it taste way better, and the taurine is also beneficial for blood pressure control.

Then, I’ll salt my food, or if drinking a lot of liquid, dump salt in my mouth for 30s before drinking the water or K-water (like “The Water Cure” style)

Last edited:

mrchibbs

Tim Berzins (Amplified Vitality) on YouTube had made a few videos about this a couple years ago.
Re: limiting liquid intake and eating solid meals with plenty of salt. And how, doing this and going
on walks would warm up the hands and feet so they'd be almost burning.

Plus, salt stops the stress hormones like aldosterone and other good stuff. I tend to salt to taste
and also dissolve my aspirin with baking soda. A lot of people (myself included) when they first
discover Ray's stuff jump right into gallons of milk and tart OJ, and the liquid diet doesn't typically
raise temperature much.

Ray mentions these foods because of convenience, everyone can access them. For me personally,
can't find good OJ so I rely on apple juice and apple sauce and other canned fruits for the fructose.
And I need heavier meals with starch and salt to really get warm.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

Personally, I rely more on whole and dried fruits than fruit juice.

I never understood the focus here on fruit juice instead of whole fruits. The literature strongly suggests better health with whole fruits, the polyphenol content is much higher, which protects from endotoxin and helps gut health. Sure, they have some fiber, not anything like wheat bran or something, but the fiber in fruits tends to positively modulate our microbiome so that there is less inflammation present.

tankasnowgod

That is an insane amount of salt. Even 5 grams has me chugging water, but it's definitely warming.

It's quite high by today's standards, but nowhere near "insane." Estimates range from 40-100g of salt per day in Europe (1500-1800s), prior to refrigeration, as it was an effective food preservative.

Jennifer

Personally, I rely more on whole and dried fruits than fruit juice.

I never understood the focus here on fruit juice instead of whole fruits. The literature strongly suggests better health with whole fruits, the polyphenol content is much higher, which protects from endotoxin and helps gut health. Sure, they have some fiber, not anything like wheat bran or something, but the fiber in fruits tends to positively modulate our microbiome so that there is less inflammation present.
Maybe because of the gut issues many people here seem to have? I need a lot of calories and get the majority of them from fruit and after years of eating pounds of it daily, it wasn't until I switched to juicing most of it that I realized how much the fiber had actually been hurting my intestines, cholesterol level and thyroid -- I was finally able to raise my chronically low cholesterol just by cutting back on the fiber.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

Maybe because of the gut issues many people here seem to have? I need a lot of calories and get the majority of them from fruit and after years of eating pounds of it daily, it wasn't until I switched to juicing most of it that I realized how much the fiber had actually been hurting my intestines, cholesterol level and thyroid -- I was finally able to raise my chronically low cholesterol just by cutting back on the fiber.

It is definitely possible to have gut issues with whole fruits for people with IBS or IBS-like conditions, though I would argue that the gut issues are more likely to come from the FOMAPs in certain fruits that IBS and IBS-like individuals (Crohn’s, colitis, etc.) are usually sensitive to.

More info from my site: FODMAP Diet – What is it and Should You Try it for Gut Issues like IBS, Crohn’s, or UC?
You, and others, can possibly try adding in Low FODMAP fruits in and see if those still bother you?

SOMO

How in the world can you consume that much salt without inducing diarrhea?

I put 1 teaspoon of salt in a large glass of water and it results in diarrhea.

somuch4food

Personally, I make K-water (posted in another thread) which is potassium bicarb and taurine in water. The taurine creates special bonds with K bicarb that makes it taste way better, and the taurine is also beneficial for blood pressure control.

Then, I’ll salt my food, or if drinking a lot of liquid, dump salt in my mouth for 30s before drinking the water or K-water (like “The Water Cure” style)

I'm doing the water cure atm. I'll save your K water to try in the future.

Since water can become quite boring, I make my own electrolyte drink with 1 part juice, 2 parts water, sugar to reach a 8-10% solution and a little bit of sea salt. Straight juice with added salt isn't as effective for me since I seem sensitive to some phenols.

I'm finding I am more grounded and level headed. I also seem to have way better emotional intelligence and social skills.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals